“Soooo Disappointing!”

Ranked #169 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
St. Louis, MO
“Soooo Disappointing!”
Reviewed August 27, 2006

We stayed at the Coronado for a 5 day Disney trip. The check-in process was slow, but acceptable. I had requested a non-smoking room five months prior, when I booked the vacation. Were given a smoking room, and it took over 30 minutes on the phone with the front desk to get it changed.

The resort is moderate, so the room was as expected when it came to amenities. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, the most pleasant part of our stay there.

We ordered room service the first morning. Being at Disney, we of course had an agenda, and were planning to be at Epcot when it opened. Our breakfast arrived 40 minutes late, and they had omitted my son's food. I was told it would be 35 more minutes for them to bring us the bagel and cream cheese we ordered. Very disappointing. I gave him my breakfast and went without.

The worst part of our stay revolved around the food court, which had been the reason I chose this hotel over the other two in the moderate category. On two separate occasions, one lunch and one dinner, my 10 year old son had horrible experiences. He was COMPLETELY ignored at the ordering counter for pizza. He's somewhat shy, so he stood there for over 30 minutes while the staff took other orders and prepared them. This is a DISNEY HOTEL! Kids shouldn't be ignored! We had an identical experience ordering from the Mexican section, only I didn't wait as long before checking in on him. I had actually ordered for him and went to get my food. I came back 20 minutes later to find him standing at the pick-up counter, his order had not been prepared and no one had asked him what he needed. I stepped to the counter and inquired, and the chef made his order right away.

Interestingly, there were no comment cards to be found on the premises, not in the rooms, the reception areas, anywhere. This hotel has potential, the facility itself is nice, and the rooms and pools were good. The service, however, is horrible!

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank echappell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,540)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2006

This hotel is beautiful and has a lot of conveniences. The lake that the hotel surrounds is huge and wonderful to look at. The main pool, called the Dig Site, is so much fun. We didn't want to leave. And as with all Disney hotels, we had complimentary transportation around Disney World as well as free transportation to and from the airport (Magical Express). I have only a couple of possible criticisms about the hotel, but they are very minor points. First this hotel is huge. Our room was located close to the main building where the food court and restaurant is located. But some of the other rooms are way on the other side of the lake. It's a long walk. I actually don't mind the walk because it's such a lovely place, but I can see how it could be difficult especially after walking all day at the parks. Just to give you an idea of how big the property is, one of the cast members there told me that the entire property of the hotel is the same size as Magic Kingdom!

The other point about the hotel is the food court which is run in a very strange way. You have a waiter seat you and take your drink order, but that's all he does! You still have to go up to the counter and get your food and get a card stamped for each item you buy. Why not just have everything including drinks available at the counters and not bother having these waiters. In my opinion, either you have a cafeteria style place or you have a full service restaurant, not this strange mixture of both. But anyways, it didn't really bother me too much. It just seemed a minor annoyance. But Coronado Springs is definately a highly recommended hotel and at some point, I'm sure we'll be back.

• Liked — recreational activities
  • Disliked — the food court
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank hulkout
Toronto
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Just got back from staying at the Coronado Springs at Disney World. Had an enjoyable experience at the Hotel and everything went smoothly from check in to check out (we were there for 5 days).

Arrived in Orlando and used Disney Magical Express to get to the hotel - took about 20 minutes in line and then about 40 minutes to get to the hotel (stopped at Pop Century first). Waiting in line for about 10 minutes at check-in. Room was ready immediately and staff (Cast Member) at the counter was polite and gave us a room near the main pool when we requested one.

Stayed in Rancho 6B which was very quiet (heard no external noise or noise from neighbouring rooms). Close walk to the main pool which was very nice with lots of chairs available (could be because it was VERY hot and humid). Property is quite large, and we rented a car which turned out to be a godsend because it was very warm and a huge timesaver getting from park to park to hotel. We didn't find the property too large to get around though. We were geographically quite far away from the main building with the restaurants, but it only took about 10 min. max to walk there and often were picked up by the 'shuttles' that take you around the property (although sometimes you do have to wave your arms to hail them). Room size was fine for 3 adults - we have stayed in the 'all star' resorts so we know what small really can be. Everything was clean. No problems with housekeeping and always had fresh towels, glasses, soap, etc.

Loved the disney dining plan which was included free as a promotion in our package. Huge value and you get an enormous amount of food. Strongly recommend that you make dining reservations at home long before you get there if you have you heart set on specific restaurants because we found majority of restaurants were booked and the few that were available, we had to eat either very early or very late.

Would also recommend getting the refillable mug (no matter what disney resort you are at if you are there more than 3 days)- we used them all the time. You could refill them at the main pool which was very convenient, although in the morning (before 11) you had to go to the main building,

Pepper Market - food was either very good or very bad which was the same as the service. Recommend the salad and sandwich bar for decent value and good attitudes. Service at most of the other counters was very slow and servers would sometimes start a meal and then disappear, leaving you waiting forever.
We never had to wait long for a table here though.

Maya Grill - ate 2 buffet breakfasts there which were included as part of our dining plan. Food was fine but not exceptional with a limited selection. We also ate dinner there which was very good. At all times, service was fairly slow but friendly.

When we left, we used luggage assistance to pick up our bags and take them to the front. We pre-arranged a time the day before and the bellman was there exactly on time and took our bags without any problems. We picked them up after breakfast without any wait either. Very smooth.

Would definately stay there again, but would try to get into the same area for the room.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank TorontoDweller
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the resort from August 15 to the 18th and while things started off poorly, they did improve by our last day. When we first arrived (after being up since 3:30am in the morning to catch our flight) the hotel staff told us that their computers were down and they could not give us any rooms. They told us to come back in an hour. As it was close to 1:00pm we grabbed lunch at The Pepper Market, which was a lot better than people have posted on this website. The food tastes good, the drinks are strong and the portions are huge but it is a little expensive. However you have to expect to spend when you are at Disney World. By 4:00pm My boyfriend and I were getting very ansy and we were falling asleep on the lobby chair so I decided to inquire as to the status of the computers. I was told it could be another 10 minutes or maybe two hours. I had enough as I expected more from Disney. They promised a 'magical experience' and all we got the first day there was waiting. I think that a multi-billion dollar company like Disney should have numerous backup plans especially since this was the second time the computers had gone down this year. As well, they should have also handed out complimentary vouchers for a drink or a food item to at least acknowledge their visitors frustration. This would have gone a long way as it would have showed they cared. Regardless, after speaking to the manager we finally got a room in Casitas 4 and it was nice, clean and I found it close to the centre of the resort and to the bus stop. This is a moderate resort and that is exactly what you get. The nice thing staying at Disney is transportation is provided to all the parks and downtown disney and the buses come frequently.

I do not think I would stay at this resort again as I would like to explore different properties that possibly have more of the Disney Magic. The hotel was good but not great, especially for the price I paid ($200 Canadian a night).

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank Tarron
New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2006

My lady friend and I just attended a convention at the Coronado Springs from August 8-13, 2006. She'd read most of these reviews prior to our departure so we had some idea what to expect, but were still disappointed and frustrated.

The grounds were pretty, but the rooms were pretty small for the price. More on services later.

Unless you have your own vehicle (which we didn't) you're forced to eat at the two meal venues, the Pepper Market or the Maya. At both places, you can expect to pay about twice as much for comparable meals in the Real World. After a few days of eating there, I had this revelation: Quasimodo does not have a hunchback; that's only his rear end, and like everything else associated with Disney, it's just ridiculously high!

Don't be fooled by the descriptions you might read of the Pepper Market being an "open air setting"! It's an indoor Food Court just like you'd find your generic suburban American shopping mall! Except for the lack of brand names, and the prices, and the fact that you have to wait to be seated. (In all fairness, in light of the fact that we had a record setting temperature for Orlando on one day, with daily highs in the high 90s and lows in the high 70s or low 80s for our entire stay, the fact that it is an indoor food court wasn't a bad thing. I just believe in full disclosure!) The best buy for dinner was a prime rib with potato or rice and mixed veggies for about $22.00 after taxes and service charge (no salad or soup, drinks were extra), but as much as I enjoy prime rib, my dietary restrictions won't allow me to eat it every day. We didn't eat dinner at the Maya as we didn't have that kind of money to burn. The Maya does have a breakfast buffet for $15 from 7 to 11 AM, so if you're hungry and a brunch person, it's not too outrageous.

After the first couple of nights eating at the Pepper Market, we decided to try to look in the phone book for a pizzeria that delivered. We did, but the front desk wouldn't let the delivery boy past them. I had to walk the eight minute walk from our room to the front desk and the eight minute walk back to get the pizza. (We were in building #4.) After that it was back to the Pepper Market.

We had the sense that the staff (who, apparently like all Disney employees, euphemistically call themselves "Cast Members") weren't going out of the way for anyone. I didn't mind the eight minute walk to the front desk, restaurants and convention center, but my lady friend did, and when we checked in, she asked if there were any rooms closer to the convention center. The woman at the front desk offered us a smoking room equally far from the convention center. After we declined it and were there for a few days, it became obvious to us that there were plenty of unoccupied rooms in buildings 3 and 1, which we went past or through to get to the convention center.

There were two memorable incidents with maid service, neither of which were positive. First, my lady friend and I were in the room when the maid knocked on the door one afternoon, looked at me and said "Spanish?" and then even after I shook my head and said "No," started rattling off in frantic Spanish at me. Fortunately, my lady friend does speak Spanish, and after a difficult conversation, it turned out the maid wanted to use our phone to call in and log that she had serviced the room earlier as she had forgotten to do so. I don't know if she actually had to use OUR phone to log in, but she thought she did. This left me wondering: what if my lady friend HADN'T been there when the maid came knocking?

The second maid service incident had more serious health implications: I came back in the room one morning to find that after servicing the room, the maid had left the clean towels for the day draped over the toilet seat cover and bowl! Not the cleanest place to put fresh towels. Maybe she scrubbed the bowl, seat and seat cover with Lysol, bleach or alcohol, but I have no way of knowing that!

There were two maintenance issues: first, our toilet got stopped up, and it took over an hour and two phone calls to the desk for them to send someone. (The first call resulted in them saying they would send someone within twenty minutes.) If either of us had needed to use the lavatory in that hour, we would have been forced to make that eight minute walk to the convention center. Second, my lady friend's key card stopped working and the lock gave off a red light instead of green. Again, the same circumstance of two phone calls, the first call getting us a "Someone will be there in twenty minutes." After maintenance showed up an hour later, they reset the lock but had to go back to the front desk to get new key cards for both of us. It took another hour to do that with them asking us not to leave the room until they came back. I missed a meeting at the convention because of that.

Many other reviews mention that there are supposed to be trams operating to get around the resort but there are hardly any to be found. After the first couple of days of the our conference, one of the sponsors apparently paid extra to have them run more frequently. It's pretty ridiculous that they had to do that.

My biggest message is to organizations looking to hold conventions at Disney World, and to the members of such organizations. Don't hold your convention at Coronado Springs unless you're willing to risk ending up with a lot of disgruntled and foul-tempered attendees. And if you're invited to attend a convention at Coronado Springs, you should seriously consider staying somewhere else even if it means renting a car.

• Disliked — The prices.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there unless you have your own vehicle!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank MadTom56
melbourne, fl
Reviewed August 10, 2006

Walt Disney World,

I am a Father of three young "Disney-holic" children, Husband of a "Disney aficionado" Wife, and caretaker of two cats and a dog who have Disney pet food dishes. Last month, my Wife and I took our first vacation without our children in seven years. Naturally, we chose a Disney resort to stay in. We are Florida residents who live just an hour away in Melbourne, so we have stayed in many of your resorts. This time we decided to stay in a new one for us- Coronado Springs. We arrived on 7/21/06: a Friday night after we both finished work and we ate in the Maya Grill. After strolling around the lake and admiring how nicely the grounds were laid out and what a calm evening it had been, we retired to our room to get some rest for the next day of Disney fun.

I woke up suddenly at 2:45am to hear shouting, yelling, doors slamming, laughter and drunkenness from the room attached to ours (#3284). It genuinely sounded as if there was a party at the foot of our bed. My Wife was awake for some time hearing the neighbors and was very upset. I was irritated myself and looked out the window to verify where the party was, and it was indeed next door to us. About 20 minutes later, the guests started to leave after shouting and stomping their feet in the hallway for a little while, and I began to relax again.

Bllleeeeaaghh! At 3:10am all I can hear is vomiting from #3284. It echoed through our room like we were standing in the bathroom ourselves. Bllleeeeaaaaaggghhhh! I could hear the vomit hitting the bowl. I had enough and called the front desk at 3:18am. I spoke to a girl who said she was sorry, but the computers were down and there was no Manager around. She would have to search the entire resort to find someone to help me out. I asked her to please take note that I called the front desk and I would be down as soon as I could get up to speak to a Manager in the morning. She said she would. Then the vomiting stopped.

Approximately 9:30 the next morning, I finally woke up after getting very little sleep. Neither my Wife or I could get any rest until about 4:00am. We figured it would be best if we skipped the parks that day because it would not be very much fun going on attractions so exhausted. I walked down to the front desk, asked to speak with a Manager and waited ten minutes for one to arrive. He was young, thin, with glasses and slightly red hair. I believe his name was "Tim" or "Tom". I started to introduce myself and tell him what had happened. He started to look away into the distance when he realized I was complaining. He then proceeded to look up information on the computer and told me there was no record at all of me calling at 3:18am. I calmly stated "I know it is not the hotel's fault there was drunken people next door to me. Are the guests in room 3284 going to be here tonight? If so, I would like a different room." I gave him the solution myself. He kindly put me in a different room across the resort and told me there would be no charge for the water view room, and would note it in the system what had happened and speak to the guests in room 3284 so they would not bother anyone for a second night in a row. I thanked him for being so understanding, and shook his limp hand.

I must have misunderstood, because later I found out that what he meant was no charge for the VIEW ONLY, I still had to pay for the room! Therefore, a basically sleepless, aggravating night for my Wife and I (without kids) credited me $22.30 minus a tip to the bellman to move us there.

Our new room was non-smoking, but smelled like a burning pack of cigarettes. The Bellman suggested we call room service so they could fix the stench with an "ionizer." I called immediately, but nobody ever came with a machine, not even a spray of "febreze". We slept in an ashtray that night.

Frustrated, we decided maybe we would feel better if we ate some breakfast. We meandered to the Pepper Market on Coronado Springs property. Pepper Market was a confusing mess. Nobody told us what to do with our stamp cards. Guests and staff all appeared lost, some staff members being downright nasty when asked a question: My Wife and I each ordered breakfast skillets from a kiosk- After watching others come and go with fresh skillets, I thought we were doing something wrong. When I asked a worker if someone was helping us with the food we ordered, she snapped "I don't KNOW, you said someone was helping YOU!" and she quickly stomped out of the stand. The next skillet that came out we took and shared just one between the both of us.

Later, we went to the gift shop near the front lobby of Coronado Springs. When buying hats, the girl at the desk did not speak to us at first, grabbed my money, threw my change on the counter in front of me, and only when my Wife said "thank you," the worker grumbled "Oh yeah, thanks."

We are extremely disappointed in the Coronado Springs Staff and Disney. We would not bring our children to this resort. If I did, each episode would be magnified tenfold. I can't imagine all five of us up at 3:10am listening to some guy puke his guts out, try to navigate Pepper Market with them all in tow, answer questions about why cigarettes stink OR spend even more money at the gift shop to have a worker be nasty to Daddy while he's forking over hundreds of dollars. My Wife and I would NEVER recommend Coronado Springs other people. We have decided that we probably don't want to go to Mexico itself after our experience. I am not some grumpy old man, I am 30 years old with a young family and a local resident of Florida who has channeled a lot of guests Disney's way over the past 10 years.

mdeb

• Liked — beautifully laid out
  • Disliked — extremely rude staff, stinky rooms, abnoxious guests, confusing dining
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away if you want any sort of relaxation at night time, do not expect the staff to help you in any way at all
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
12 Thank mdeb
colorado
Reviewed August 7, 2006

This was a mother-daughter trip that we were both looking forward to staying at. We decided on staying at this hotel because it was (supposedly) a notch above some of the others, and the price was a bit higher than the others. I assumed (wrongly) you would get what you pay for. We paid nearly $200 per night to stay at this hotel, and stayed 7 nights. No multiple night discount or anything.

The grounds were nice, and the pool was very nice, and check in and express check out made it easy, but that's where the accolades stop.

When we got into our room the size was smaller than anticipated, but no big deal because we didn't plan on spending much time "in" the room. But when we got to the bathroom (if that's what you want to call it, the tiniest "bathroom" I've ever had in a hotel), there was a huge wet spot on the carpet in front of the sink. And the sink, which we didn't realize until later that evening was clogged and took almost 1/2 hour to drain. The next day after the housekeeper cleaned our room, there was again another wet (VERY wet) spot on the carpet in front of the area going to the toilet (different spot), so obviously the housekeeper was having some trouble with her cleaning bucket or other supplies. Again, the sink was still plugged (obviously the housekeeper didn't care because she NEVER cleaned our sink the entire 7 nights we were there). By the 3rd day there was again a wet spot on the carpet again (in slightly different locations) and the sink still didn't drain. We finally called and they sent someone to fix the sink, and it was left filthy. The housekeeper never cleaned it the whole time we were there. Never did they clean or replace our coffee cups or coasters. The only thing they housekeeper did was make the beds, provide clean towels and replace our soaps. Other than that there was no housekeeping services provided.

I was NOT happy that I had to pay an EXTRA $10 per day to access the internet. The hotel was expensive to begin with, let alone add extra fees. The one day I did try I was not able to get on. When I called their support tech, he didn't know how to help me get connected and wanted me to disable my antivirus programs and get online without them. No way! So I called the front desk because I was charged for the internet even though I was not able to get online.

Went to return something at the gift shop they have there and the clerk was rude and didn't know how to do a return. She ended up CHARGING me for everything again. When I wouldn't sign the charge slip she got frustrated with me because there was now a line built up behind me and she was going to have to go find someone to show her how to do a credit. Now she had to do TWO credits since she charged me a second time.

And the food court was just as bad. We had the Disney dining plan and the people in the food court didn't know it worked and weren't able to help us figure out how to order. It took talking to 4 people in the food court (Pepper Market) to get someone to tell us how to order using the dining plan, and what it included.

Bottom line... overpriced, starting to get worn out hotel, maintenance and housekpeeing issues. But, had a nice pool. And the transportation busses to the different parks worked pretty well the majority of the time. Our wait was typically about 10 minutes. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

We would not stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Housekeeping was lacking; overpriced
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose a different hotel