“An Excellent Place for Families-- and this from a Discerning Traveller”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #174 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
“An Excellent Place for Families-- and this from a Discerning Traveller”
Reviewed June 14, 2005

We just came back from 4 nights-- and it really is a fabulous place.. We have two small kids.. We had stayed last time at the Hyatt Grand Cypress - considered one of the best places in Orlando----and this place is so much more convenient and truly excellent..

1) Staying on Disney Property very convenient-- used the buses as well as my car (all the parks are very close by-- less than 15 minuet ride)- I liked putting everything on 1 Bill- using my room key

2) We stayed in Casistas 4102-- this faced Parking lot and I could literally park right outside my door.. Also-- I could walk to Bus stop 2- which was 200 Feet from my room.. Not the best view--but with small kids- convenience was great...much better than going to traditional hotel, up elevators etc...

3) It was 10 minuet walk to lobby and eating area--Casistas is best bet.

4) Room was very clean- not big-- we had 2 doubles and a roll away-- for 4 of us and it was a bit tight.. Service was not the friendliest but I did get what I needed done.. ALSO-- what is very nice-- they have a good health club-- and also have Wireless Access in the main building so I was able to send out some work in the early AM-- these 2 touches made this a totall winning choice..

5) Grounds are immaculate- feel like you are in a lush resort with the flowers and lake-- felt totally away from Disney bedlam

6) Food is not cheap and Not tremendous either--and wait lines to leave Peppers was very long- but did have variety.. we ate at parks and downtown Disney a bunch of times.....

7) Pools and the Dig-- the Dig was nice- big- water slides etc.. had a good pool bar with drinks.....crowded.. what was really good- in our Building- as in all-- we had our own pool( I think there are 4 casistas Buildings and the Pool for Casistaas was in our building)--so it was litteraly 1 Minuet- 200 feet to the pool- extremely convenient and my kids went there in the AM before parks and in the PM after parks.. The Dig was a 10 minuet walk or a Golf cart shuttle which came very frequently...

So I think for $140 which includes Tax (AAA discount)/Night-- the convenience of the building, the pools, the bus stop and everything on 1 bill and being so close to Parks- made this an incredible place to stay along with just a great place to take a morning walk---peaceful. Also there were alot of conventioneers but there were kids so you felt like you were not in a complete Zoo with thousands of other kids- but my son had kids to play with in the pool. Bottom line-- this place is a steal and we have been all over the world... The key is- the building and room you get-- I requestd to be near main building and near the bus service-- and it was perfect--.... Hyatt may be a better building-- or another big hotel- But I think parking the car 50 feet from your room is about as convenient as you get.. Does it have the Special Mickey Ambiance- not as much as others-- but having the pool 100 feelt from the room--- that made up for it big time!!

BTW-- this place is also really good for Couples-- seemed very romantic-- and again alot of quiet places away from all the kids if you want it. I think Disney totally got this place right on.
Please email me at bvlessing@aol.com if you have questions..

Stayed June 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
orange, ct
Reviewed June 13, 2005

We stayed at the Coronado Springs June 2-June 12. We are a young couple without children and we chose the Coronado because it seemed to cater more to adults. We weren' t disapointed. When we arrived our room smelled heavily of cigarette smoke and the tub was dirty. We had also requested a water or garden view room and this room faced the parking lot. They were able to switch us quickly to a clean room with a garden view. Even though they hadn't given us our requested room, there were plenty of rooms with views available so it could help to ask about your request before you check in. Our new room was very clean and we enjoyed our stay. The cleaning staff left us handfuls of disney soaps and shampoos every day. They are cute and lots of people take them as souvenirs. The grounds were really beautiful and the pool was fantastic. We loved the waterslide and the gigantic hot tub. There are tons of gardenia bushes all over the resort and they smell fantastic. There are boat and bike rentals on the resort, but they are not included and can be pricey. The Maya grill had great food, but the Pepper Market was pretty bad. The bus transportation was great and we never waited long to catch a bus to a park. We would stay here agsin.

13 Thank soupy9s
Darlington, Maryland
Reviewed June 11, 2005

This was our 5th trip to WDW in the last nine years. With five in our group (three adults and two teenagers) we usually stayed at the Polynesian, with one stop at the Contemporary. This time we tried TWO ADJACENT rooms at the Coronado Springs. We liked the theme, and had dinner at Maya Grill one time in the past. The total room charge with substantially less than at the Poly, AND we had FOUR beds and TWO bathrooms.

We missed the fine restaurants at the Poly ('Ohana and particurly Kona), and we missed the Monorail. But since the favorite parks for the adults were Epcot and Animal Kingdom, the bus wasn't too much of a compromise (Coronado Springs is actually VERY close to Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom). Peppers Market is handy, and the food is OK, not great (the kids liked it). Generally we skipped breakfast, opting to get into the parks on a timely basis (including WALKING up to a table at Cinderella's Royal Table one morning - write me for instructions on THAT little trick). Dinners were spent out at the parks, or at other Resorts. So Peppers was fine for drinks and snacks (the kids got the re-fillable mugs, which turned out to be a good investment).

We tried Disney's Magical Express, which clearly still has some bugs to work out. Our bags arrived at our rooms about 10 hours after we did, and I was glad WE PACKED EVERYTHING WE NEEDED FOR THE FIRST DAY AND NIGHT IN OUR CARRY-ON BAGS. But the FREE Bus transport to and from the airport was certainly appreciated.

We heard from one of the Mears (bus service) drivers that many drivers had quit because of Magical Express. The drivers tend to be older, or retired. And Mears told them they would not have to handle luggage. But since the luggage portion of the program still does not work, the drivers have to pack bags under the bus, and pull them out. SO IF YOU USE THE BUS SERVICE, PLEASE GIVE THE DRIVER A TIP FOR HANDLING YOUR BAG -- IT'S ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT HE'S GETTING PAID FOR.

Favorite restuarant was Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Favorite ride was Mission: Space.

We also had the advantage of being there (we planned it that way) during Star Wars Weekends at MGM and the Epcot Garden Festival. And I understand that Star Wars Weekends have been extended to June 26.

Feel free to write me with any questions.

Stayed June 2005
31 Thank rickhowe
North Augusta, South Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2005

Our second stay at Corondao Springs was as good as the first, the rooms were exceptionally clean, and staff were very helpful. The pool area is fantastic and now stays open until 12:00am, which is nice for late evening returns from the busy parks, etc. We have never stayed at other Disney properties, so have nothing to compare it to, but our children loved the stay. We noticed no children activities, and it appears as though various conventions get the most attention, although we did not have much time to spend around the hotel during our day time hours. The entire site is very large, so you may have to walk or catch a bus to various areas of the hotel (store, food court, pool, etc.) which is also nice considering the wonderful landscape and tropical setting that can be viewed in all areas. We would & will recommend it to friends and family!

8 Thank BAFinnerty
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

I visited Cornonado with my sons ages 2 & 14. We didn't have to wait long for a bellman to help with bags and give us a ride to our room. Our room was immaculate. I complimented housekeeping on several occasions for doing such a fantastic job.
We stayed in the Casitas 1 building. We had a beautiful view of a courtyard with gorgeous flowers and shrubs. The walkways to the pools and wonderful Pepper market were lined with blooming gardenia and sparkling fountains. We even saw a brown bunny skip across our path on the way to the pool one evening.
The dig site pool area was tons of fun for my 2 and 14 year old. The kid pool/sprinkler area actually kept him entertained for almost an hour and my 14 year old loved playing volleyball in the sand with the teenagers.
On the way back from the pool one night my 2 year old and I took a rest in one of the hammocks. It was unbelievably quiet and relaxing. After our rest we sat on one of the benches and watched the fireworks at one of the parks.
We did take advantage of the Disney resort buses to travel to the parks and never waited more than 10-15 minutes for one. We also drove our truck to MGM because it was so close and why not when we have free parking as a resort guest.
The only problem I had at all was the A/C in my room making this knocking noise on the second night of my stay. A repairman came to look at it, but apparently was not able to figure the problem out.
I would stay in Coronado again the next time I visit Orlando.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, NY
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We spent 6 nights at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort durning our stay at Walt Disney World. I have stayed at both the deluxe and value resorts and this was a great value for the money. The grounds are beautiful and well laid out. We were in Casitas 4 with the bus stop 2 right behind us and a silent pool near us. We never made it to the Dig site where the big pool was, but friends told us that it was great. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We only ate in the Pepper Market twice, and found it to be pricey. The rooms were great, good size, 2 double beds, sink seperate from shower & toliet. There was a table & 2 charis, a dresser with 3 drawers and a med. sized fridge. Only neagtive was that we could hear people when twalking & talking pas out room and there was lot of the noise outside like the lawn mower at 8AM! Also, we had an adjoining room and were awaking everymorning at 7AM but a child screaming. Otherwise we had a great time and would stay there again!

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank hardingk
St Petersburg, FL
Reviewed May 23, 2005

I LOVE Disney and staying on property and have visited every range of room (value to deluxe) at various resorts but this was our first experience at Coronado Springs. Some friends of ours had booked a room there so we decided to stay also. We have 4 children between our 2 families (ages 1 - 7) and we will not stay at Coronado Springs again. This hotel is definitely geared for conventioneers!! We stayed in Ranchos and although the rooms were fine and the pools were fine - the personnel were not overly friendly or helpful especially towards families. It is a long walk to the food court - in fact, we started taking the bus to it - just be sure and ask if they are going back to bus stop #1! The food court was the most confusing of any resort we have stayed at and the children's offerings were few and not particularly good. They weren't even themed in their packaging. The buses were fine but it took a while especially if you want to go to a character breakfast at somewhere in another resort (like Chef Mickey's). You have to switch buses at Downtown Disney.

We have stayed at Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach before and if you want to stay in a moderate resort with kids - these are definitely the better bet. At Port Orleans you can even take a boat to Downtown Disney which the kids enjoy too. Caribbean Beach also has more pools with the same number of rooms and also has beach areas with hammocks etc. The rooms at Coronado were ok but the non smoking room our friends had smelled badly of smoke when they arrived. About half of the personnel we encountered were pleasant.

In all, if you only have adults or older children in your group and don't mind walking - Coronado would work for you. But with small children - for the same price - go to Caribbean Beach or either Port Orleans resorts! I read other posts and wish I would have listened to what other people had said!

• Stayed May 2005