“Great Disney Value”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #173 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Gulfport, MS
Reviewed April 14, 2004

All dealings with registration were quick and efficient. The rooms were in Casitas Bldg 5, a very short walk to the bus stop and a 5 minute stroll from either the main building (restaurants, gift shop, front desk) or the primary swimming pool with the water slide and large hot tub.

The rooms were in very good condition, well stocked and daily maid service was invisible. We heard no noise from adjoining rooms or rooms above us.

The bus service is Disney's best. Service to all parks is without stops at other resorts and is never crowded because most hotel guests are conventioneers who don't use the bus service.

This may not be the best resort for families with extremely young children who want to dine at the hotel restaurant with Disney characters, but is great for couples and families with teens. We really enjoyed the Coronado Springs Resort, much more than the All Star value resorts, and our rooms were half the price or less than the deluxe resorts.

The only noteworthy drawback is that walking is required. Due to limited parking space, after leaving check-in, you are not allowed to drive and park at the main building, but must park near your building and walk to the main building which is inconvenient when you are driving away from the resort but need to stop at the front desk on the way out.

• Stayed: January 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,380)

Reviewed April 11, 2004

I stayed at the Coronado Springs during Easter weekend of 2004. The staff was helpful and the accomodations were excellent. The room was quiet and seemed isolated, despite this being a decidedly large resort.
The only gripe I have is with the Pepper Market. I purchased a chinese food combo with three different chinese dishes served over rice. The Kung Pao chicken was covered in chile seeds and I was not able to eat it. My girlfriend, who is from the Southwest and is used to eating spicy food said even she wasn't able to eat it. She purchased a ribeye which was dry and tasteless. We mentioned our opinion to the hostess, and she simply said that comment cards used to be offered but are no longer available. She did not offer to call a manager. We were tired, so we didn't push the issue. This was not helped by the fact that a small ribeye steak, a chinese food combo, a small strawberry shortcake, a small creme brulee, and one diet coke cost $48.00 plus tax. And this was not even table service. Great resort, bad food. Just eat somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2004
Snellville, GA
Reviewed April 8, 2004

We, my friends and I, arrived at Coronado Springs Monday afternoon and were received by a pleasant staff and were welcomed by a clean, good sized room, with a little court outside. The resort is gorgeous. Most of the rooms surround a lake and everything is designed with a southwest, South American feel. We stayed in the Ranchos, which is right near a quiet pool, and a short walk to the pool, or "dig site." There's relaxing hammocks and boats and bikes to rent. Even if you don't plan on being at parks all day, Coronado Springs is perfect for a day of relaxing by the pool and riding in a rental bike. Overall, we loved it and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norwich, CT
Reviewed March 31, 2004

To start off, the entire family had a wonderful time here. Our arrival date was March 21st and we departed on March 28th. Our group consisted of 4 adults, two teens, a toddler and an infant. This is quite a group of people to please. After reading a few negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive to stay here, but it seemed as though there were more positive reviews than negative. We decided to go for it. Our only requests were that we had adjoining rooms and that they be non-smoking.
It is a known fact that not everyone will get exactly what they request in any hotel because it is a first come first serve basis. I followed the advice of many hotel websites and called 4 days before we left for vacation to submit our request one more time. When we arrived, we recieved everything we wanted, and thensome. One thing that we certainly didn't have a problem with was noise. We just kind of expect that hotels can be noisy, and may have to deal with a couple bumps in the night. But, we had adjoining rooms, (with a couple screaming babies) and noise was not at all an issue for the other room. They didn't hear any temper tantrums. In many reviews, the size of the resort was a negative aspect because of the walking you need to do to get from one place to another. We stayed in the ranchos section (which we loooved) which is the furthest away from El Centro, and didn't find the walk to be bad at all. The scenery itself takes away from the fact that you are actually getting excersise. There is also so much wildlife there that there is always something to distract you. Another thing that was complained about alot was the Pepper Market. We loooved that too! There was a plethora of different kinds of food to choose from, but the quesadillas were my favorite. The key is PATIENCE. These workers have alot of people to cook for, so a little patience goes a long way. Trust me, we got extra items just for being nice to a guy that a couple people were being rude to. If you're nice to them, they'll be extra nice to you. To add a few things, the maid service was wonderful. Cleaning up after our group is not easy, but our maid did a fantastic job. If you leave certain items behind while you're at the park, they usually will decorate with them, and even set up your kids' toys to welcome you back to your room. The buses were very convenient, too. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a shuttle to or from the parks. We had to leave the parks temporarily during the day so the babies could nap. The teens had the freedom to stay behind and go on more rides, and shuttle back to the resort when they wanted to. All in all, our stay here was terrific and we have nothing negative to report.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2004

We stayed at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort for 10 days in May 2003 and loved every minute of it. The rooms are ample for 2 people and come with a fridge, hair dryer, separate vanity, table and 2 chairs and AC with a ceiling fan as well. There was plenty of drawer space and a decent sized closet with a stand for your suitcase. We tend to get out and do/see all we can so we aren't in the room for much more than sleeping and showering. Be advised that the resort is HUGE and if you need anything from the front desk or shops, be prepared for a stiff walk or hop onto the bus. The resort is so large that it has 3 bus stops and things are really spread out. The lanscaping is SouthWest themed with ponds here and there. The pools are located somewhat centrally, but depending on which area of the resort you're in, it could still be quite a walk to take a dip. The pools are nice, tho, especially the main one with the Incan pyramid slide and sandbox area for the kids. Also, if you send your purchases from the parks to your room as they advertise, be aware that what they really mean is that they send them to the gift shop. Picking them up can be a problem if you go early and stay late at the parks - the gift shop has shorter hours. All in all, the Coronado is clearly a step up from the Value hotels and you'll be glad to have spent a bit more for charm versus tackiness. We recommend!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2004

After my bad experience at The Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando, I was a little gun shy to try another local hotel. I decided to try a Disney hotel and another Flrida resident special (like Hard Rock offered). This time when my teen preteen boys and I arrived a few hours early, the check-in woman said, "Lets see what room we have available right now." I couldn't believe it. At the Hard Rock hotel our rooms weren't ready until an hour and a half after check-in time because "they couldn't possible have all the rooms cleaned on time with so many guests". The grounds of the Coronado were grassy and spawling with ornate fountains placed throughout. The sidewalk led around a lake and to a large pool where there were plenty of lounge chairs and plenty of space to swim or slide down the water slide. The room was immaculate and had a tasteful mexican flair. My overall experience was positive and this local will definately "get-away" to a Disney resort next time again.

St. Petersburg Florida
Reviewed March 15, 2004

This is the letter that we wrote to Disney after our December 2003 trip. We did get a phone call from a secretary stating that an executive wanted to talk to us about this and when a good time would be to call. Of course we never heard back from them. To Whom It May Concern:I would like to start off by saying that our other visits to Disney Resorts have always been wonderful, and this one, did start out that way. But it went from extremely fantastic to a truly horrible experience in a matter of ONE day! Our Disney plans included one night at the Fort Wilderness Lodge, which was not only breathe taking but also had by far the BEST staff at any of your resorts! The next day at the Magic Kingdom, then the next two nights at All-Star Movies, which we have previously stayed with out any problems! We checked into the Fort Wilderness Lodge on Friday, December 26th with our party of 14. We had 4 rooms and had a wonderful time there. The lodge is a spectacular place to stay. We did have one problem that night when I purchased our 2 adult and 2 children's tickets to the Magic Kingdom. I paid the man behind the counter with three 100-dollar bills. He returned to me the incorrect amount of money and I immediately caught this and told him no, that was incorrect and gave him the cash back. He apologized and said that he was new and recounted the money back to me. I asked him who his supervisor was and he pointed towards an older woman who sort of resembled Janet Reno. I asked her to come over and make sure that the amount that he was about to give me was indeed correct. She swiftly came over, counted it out and placed it back on the counter stating that it was correct. I thanked them and left with my tickets and change. About an hour later, my wife, who was in our room with the boys, sleeping, receives a phone call from this guy that had a problem with counting out my change. He states that he is short $30 on his drawer and that he knows for a fact that I have it and would like to speak with me. Well I am downstairs having a couple of drinks with my in-laws so she calls my cell phone and tells me to go see him. When I get there, he explains to me that he is short and wants to know if I can give him the $30. I am like, "Wait a minute here... Didn't we both have your supervisor come over here and count it out for us?" He agreed. I then asked for her to come over to where we were and asked her the same thing. "Didn't you count this out yourself to make sure it was correct?" She agreed also. So, here I am, showing these people the content of my wallet showing how there is exactly the amount of change received from giving them 3 100 dollar bills for the cost of the 4 tickets and they say, "Well, you do what you have to do..." so now, I am afraid this guy is going to get fired. So I ask for the night manager to come out so I can verify that this guy won't get fired. A young guy comes out, fairly tall and I ask him to make sure this guy is not about to get fired. All I get from him is a lot of smirking and sarcasm that his employee won't get fired, but the smirking and sarcasm does nothing but make me feel like either he will get fired, or that they all think that I am guilty and have the $30. At that point, I give up. It had been such a great day and we were having a great time already, and I didn't want to deal with the "guilt trip" or the fact that somebody might get fired over their own mistake so I give them pretty much all that was in my wallet which was $30 and wish them a Merry Christmas, and return to the bar and my family.So, we wake up the next day and head over to the Magic Kingdom. As it has always been for the last 33 years of going to Disney at least once a year if not more, we had a great and memorable experience with all 14 of the family members. We wind the day up at about 9pm and say our goodbyes to the other family members and head on over to All-Star resort. We have stayed at the All-Star resorts no less than 3 times and this would have been our fourth. Earlier in the day, my wife called to All-Star Movies where we had our reservations to make sure that there would be no problem with us coming in super late. They confirmed with us that we did in fact have a room no matter what time we came in, since we had already paid for the first night ahead of time. The room "was ours" and "promised" for us. While I, and the sleeping kids (two boys, one is 3 and the other 5) stay in the van, my wife runs in to get the key. At this time it is about 10:00pm. About 10 minutes later, she comes out with the bad news. There are no rooms available but they can "upgrade" us to the Coronado Springs. Due to the screw up, they also guarantee us a room that is closest to the "heated pool" and a "dig site" for the kids. Well, we really had no choice and since the kids would benefit with the "heated pool" and the "dig site", we took their offer. We drive to Coronado Springs right up the road and again, wife runs in, takes about 10 minutes and comes out with the bell man who drives us to the room. Wow, this place is huge. Too huge...It took us something like 10 minutes to get to the room driving behind this bellman in a golf cart that barely goes 15 miles per hour. So, we finally get to the building, get our stuff onto the golf cart and the two boys in our arms and he drives us to the room. We get there and he points out that the pool and dig site is "right out there" which was right around the corner. Great, no problem, The room door is opened up and we walk in about 2 steps, and then back out two steps from the stench of smoke smell from the room. IT'S A SMOKING ROOM!! WE DON'T SMOKE AND MY SON AND I HAVE ASTHSMA! The bellman apologizes profusely and goes into the room to make some calls. Apparently, my wife was never told by the Coronado Springs front desk that it was a smoking room because the All-Star person should have since they were the ones that moved us in the first place. So, about 10 minutes later, as we were sitting in the cold hallway with two barely awake children in our laps, the bellman comes out and tells us that they did find another room, but it was not near the "heated pool" or the "dig site". We really had no choice as it was getting close to 11pm and really really cold. So we get up to move again. As I get up, I realize that my youngest son has just peed on my lap. He was so exhausted that he didn't even wake up to tell me. We got back to the van and drove behind the slow golf cart for another 5 minutes to the new room. We get in and the room doesn't smell or anything. By now it is about 5 till 11 pm. The boys were fully awake by this time and we were all starving because we had not eaten dinner yet and originally planned on eating at the All-Star restaurant. So we start calling around and quickly realize that NOTHING IS OPEN. Grills are turned off and they are cleaning up for the night since they CLOSE AT 11PM. Even room service at this "upgrade of a moderate expense resort" is closed. Boy were we disappointed. Even Dominos was a failure since the delivery time was about 45 minutes to an hour. We did finally talk to the front desk person about our nightmare of a night and they did deliver us a pizza that we had to go to the front desk to pickup. No sorry for the inconveniences either. By the way, of course by the time I returned to the room, the boys had fallen asleep out of exhaustion again. By the time we get to sleep, it's about 1pm and my wife and I fully expected to be able to sleep in from this horrible night we had and start a new day in Kissimmee. Well, I think it was about 5am when the people on the second floor start making a lot of noise. Not sure what was going on, and my wife thinks it may have even been construction on the 2nd floor room, but it sounded like the floor upstairs may have been tile, and a woman was walking around with heels. Clap clap clap clap clap, over and over again, back and forth, across the room. I would have thought that for a moderate expense Disney resort; they would have used more insulation or sound dampening materials. This went on for about 30 minutes and I finally called up to the front desk to have them do something or call these people. Of course the noise continued for another 30 minutes or so. So we didn't get to sleep in, but we were starving for some breakfast and head to Hwy 192. But as we are getting ready my wife hears another sound, the sound of a ?blower? that you use for lawn work. It was being used upstairs above us & was scaring our children. So, it was at that point that my wife decided that we could NO longer stay at this hotel. We had had such an awesome day, 2 days before, that she was in tears, so she made me drive her to the front desk area to speak with the manager of the resort. She went in to talk with the manager, who was very nice, but could not think of a solution for us. Unless we wanted to spend more money & move to another ?higher end? resort which we did not want to do. We just wanted to be at The All Star Movies Resort and should never have agreed to go to the Coronado to begin with! The manager said that she would see what she could do for us, so we headed to breakfast. While we were there, we called back to Coronado Springs to find out about moving within the resort grounds, just closer to the heated pool or dig site and the terrible insulation between our room and the room upstairs. Well, they seemed to be able to move us a little closer to the "heated pool" and the "dig site" but can't just move our stuff for us. So we do some things around Kissimmee then return to Coronado Springs. When we get to our current room a bellman is just getting there with his orders to move us to the new room. He packs us up onto his golf cart and we all agree to meet at the new room since we had to move our Van. We get to the new room; open it up and I'll be darned if this room wasn't just painted literally a few days earlier. The fumes from the paint were overwhelming. ****, there was still masking tape around the thermostat. My wife and I both looked at each other and frowned and shook our heads. It was our last full day in Orlando so we just agreed to make the best of this room go play in the "heated pool" and dig site then over to International drive that night for some dinner and then hopefully a better insulated room so we can sleep in the next morning. So we sit here in this room with the door open airing the room out and waiting for the bellman to come with all of our stuff. Five minutes pass... 10...15...20 minutes pass and still no bellman!!! Oh my God we are thinking. What else could possibly happen to us on this little vacation? Did the guy run off with our new portable DVD player, hidden money in the suitcase, all our clothes, etc.?? After almost 30 minutes of waiting for this guy so that we could go play in the "heated pool" and the dig site, I decide to call down to the front desk furiously demanding to know where our bellman was with our stuff. They ask what room we are in and I tell them. The guy on the other side of the phone say's oh no, we were told to take your stuff to a different room number. Yep, another Disney screw up, at our expense. When the guy finally gets to us, with our stuff, he says that he was given the wrong room number and when we did not show up, he decided to just leave it in the room and left. So, we finally get our stuff in the room and get dressed to go play in the "heated pool" that we were told about. It was a bit chilly, but a heated pool would be a nice release of tension right? NOPE!! Because the "heated pool" is NOT heated and fairly cold!!!!! My wife and I, being totally drained from this so-called "relaxing trip" to Disney opted to just let the boys play in the Jacuzzi and we say having a well needed and deserved drink. After that, we headed back to the room, got dressed for dinner and headed over to International Drive to the Race Rock Cafe restaurant. We did some other sight seeing and finally had some fun OFF DISNEY PROPERTY. We finally got back to our smelly paint room at about midnight and quickly got the boys down and then finally us at about 1pm. At about 1:30pm is when we realized that this room also had the worst possible sound insulation in the world (as did the other room that we moved from). The people in the room next to us came in from somewhere; possibly Pleasure Island and we could hear each and every word they spoke. Not only were they talking normally, the TV was on at a reasonable volume and they continually played with some sort of "squeaky toy" for a good 10 minutes. I didn't blame them one bit. It's not their fault that the walls of this "moderate expense" resort was PAPER THIN!!!!! They continued on for about 45 minutes to an hour then finally died down. FINALLY I WAS ABOUT TO GET SOME SLEEP! RIGHT? NOPE!! The people on the other side of us come in at about 2:30 am and guess what they start doing? Yep, they start screwing and because our headboard was on the other side of the wall to their headboard, we heard each and every word, moan and groan. Once they finished about 30 minutes later, the noise from their room turned to snoring which my banging on the walls did not even help. The snoring lasted until at least 4:30am. As you can see, we are NOT happy one bit with our last trip to Disney. It was certainly a first for us being Florida residents and not being able to count how many times in the past we have been to Disney, let alone stayed on Disney property. My thoughts have always been that the Disney resorts offer exceptional service and experience vs. staying somewhere NOT on Disney property. So? As you can imagine, the multiple screw-ups came as a complete surprise. Maybe this is the direction that Disney has gone to? Maybe Disney is just getting so big that they have slacked on the service and total experience? Everyone that we have told says that we should write a letter to Disney about our bad experience. They all said that Disney would "make it right" but I am not too sure about that. We are just the little people, and it sounds like the mentality may be that our bad experience is not that big of a loss for Disney. As you can see, I did change my mind about writing a letter. I hope our friends were right. Take care and thank you for your time,The Barnes Family; Luke, Sheryl, Collin & Christopher

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member