“Your Family deserves better”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #174 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
los angeles
“Your Family deserves better”
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Your family deserves better! do not stay at this hotel!
Upon check-in agent barely spoke english. so there was difficulty from the begining, however this is typically resovable by writing things down. Except in this case, the agent was also illeterate. which explains why when were looking for our room we couldn't find it. We had to call the front desk from our cell phone to ask what room we were in. now keep in mind, typical hotel have security policy that does not allow anyone to know a room # over the phone! turns out we were given a room # that DOES NOT EXISIT on the propety upon check in.

After finding the correct room, we looked around the room to see the awful decor, dark and less than clean room. The rooms do not have a full enclosed bathroom. the sink is in the main part of the room and then shower and toilet are enclosed. There is little counter and closet space. The room felt dirty. All the rooms are dark b/c there is only one window and it faces the courtyard/public pathways so you can never leave the curtains open unless you want everyone to see what you are doing and what you have in your room. This makes it so that you have to choose between privacy and natural light.

I also found many small bugs/mosiquitos in my room. i had to buy some bug spray but that barely worked.
the rooms were run down (besides being dated), the paint was chipping the wood surfaces were also chipping and warnn. the carpet stained, ect. the sheets were old and had small holes and were not soft.

The grounds was the only thing that really makes this hotel. its basically the only thing that is nice abt the hotel. everything else is really below par and you can find a better hotel than this one in Orlando.

I do not recommend this hotel in any way!

• Liked — there is NOTHING to like
  • Disliked — the general hotel
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank SBLTRIP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
tn
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I stayed here simply because I had a conference here. I was so disappointed in not only the customer service, but also the lack of peacefulness at the hotel. I am not kidding, I could hear when the person in the room above me used the restroom- not just flushed, but when the urine hit the toilet. It was very noisy. Also, I haven't seen a hotel, much less a more expensive hotel NOT have free wireless interenet in years! I was appalled. I would spend my money elsewhere. They nickel and dime you, and that feels crappy.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank tntraveler1800
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 14, 2008

For our trip to Disneyworld, I had booked the Port Orleans/French Quarter resort on Disney's website. We had stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside before and had loved it, this time we wanted to experience its sister resort. When we wanted to check in at the French Quarter, the lady at reception informed us that we had been rebooked to a suite at the Coronado Springs as the French Quarter was overbooked. We were only aware that the Coronado was closer to the parks, we thought that a suite is of course better than a standard room, and so we agreed and went to the other hotel.
The check-in there was ok, we went to our room expecting expected a great suite, but then the room we had was just a dull, standard family room with two connecting rooms. In our room there was a king size bed, table and bathroom, in the other room had an extendable queen bed, so that we had practicably an additional living room (which we did not need as we were in the parks all the time anyway)...
We had breakfast in the hotel, once the buffet at the Maya grill (it was really nice even though we had to fight with them to let us sit in the brighter area of the restaurant), and twice we went to the Pepper Market (actually, we paid hardly less than in the real restaurant, the atmosphere was ok, but the food was average - with the exception of the waffles which I can only recommend!).
At the reception they had highly recommended to use the bus transportation to the Disney parks, we did this on our first day - and then never again. Reading the comments from other people here, I think we were lucky as we only had to wait for 15 minutes for the bus, but anyway we decided immediately to use our car in the future!
All in all, I think now we should have insisted on a room at the French Quarter. The Coronado is definitely a "moderate" hotel, the room was neither filthy nor loud, and it was OK for us as we only spent the nights there. But what I was totally was the Disney spirit - and this was the main reason for us to go for a Disney hotel in the first place.

• Liked — Location to the parks
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Westchester, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I would give the Coronado Springs three and a half stars if I could. I took one star off the highest rating of five for the extortionate prices and half of another for the excessive walking required on the grounds.

I stayed here last week, the first week of May. Check-in took about 5 minutes. I was given a map to my room, in Casitas 4, but the map proved to be of no help. I wandered around, toting three pieces of fairly heavy luggage, searching in vain for Casitas 4 till finally I asked a staff member who happened to be nearby. He pointed me toward a building that was mercifully only about 10 yards away.

Once I found my room (no easy task), I thought it was fine. I was in a single with a king-size bed, which I had requested. I had requested a nonsmoking room, and I didn't detect any smoke smell in it.

In terms of decor, the room was about on a par with a Motel 6. It did have everything you would expect of a hotel room--TV, fridge, dresser, coffee maker (though I am a tea guy and didn't use it), iron, and ironing board--but it didn't have a microwave. As some people here have noted, the TV is quite small, about 19 or 20 inches, but I don't watch TV, so that didn't bother me. I was glad you could disconnect the cable and listen to static as a white-noise machine; this isn't always possible in hotels.

There was a small table in the corner with two chairs. An Ethernet cable is oddly hung in a cloth sack on a hanger in the closet area. My first exposure to Disney's "wallet vacuum" was finding out that this broadband Net access would cost $10 a day. What was even more outrageous was when I found out I couldn't dial up to my AOL account; if I wanted to do that, I would have to spend the same $10 a day. So it costs the same $10 a day whether you want broadband or dial-up? That's ridiculous. I surfed the Net on my BlackBerry instead.

I am height and weight proportionate, not buff but not fat. There is a lot of walking to be done at this complex. El Centro, the main registration/food court building, was a six- to eight-minute walk. When you are walking and standing around all day at the various theme parks and at the bus stops, the last thing you want to do when you get back to your resort is more walking. I didn't think to flag down one of the golf carts buzzing around, though I guess I could have tried.

The grounds are, as others have noted, very pretty and immaculate.

In that food court building I mentioned, you will lose even more of your money to the all-powerful Walt Disney Corp. Want a 20-ounce bottle of water to slake your thirst after a hot day at a theme park? That will be $2.50, please. Want a 1.5-liter bottle of the same water? $3.50, and it's yours. Run out of a bar of soap? A mere $2 will net you an average-size bar of Zest in the Coronado's gift shop. $2.65 gets you a pocket-size stick of deodorant. Jonesing for orange juice in the morning? Fork over $2.80 for a 10-ounce bottle of Minute Maid, and you're good to go. A 12-ounce cup of green tea is $2.19. And no free USA Todays here, as is the case at most luxury hotels; your $150 a night gets you bupkes in the newspaper department. USA Today is sold at 5 cents above the cover price, 80 cents. I could not believe how marked up everything was. It made me question whether staying on the Disney property was worth it.

I did weigh the merits of buying the $12 refillable mug, but I don't drink soda for the most part, and the mug's free refills apply only to sodas and teas, all the stuff that's unhealthful. (I did ask if I could get seltzer-water refills and was told I could, but only at the Pepper Market's espresso station.) I decided the mug wasn't worth it. I felt a measure of revenge for not having bought it.

I was not on the Disney Dining Plan, figuring I could eat for far less than the $37 a day the plan would have cost me. Silly me. That was figuring on Manhattan prices. I should have doubled those when making my calculations. In retrospect, I have to say the Disney Dining Plan probably is a better deal than going a la carte.

The Pepper Market's food was OK, if also extortionately priced (95 cents for a banana; I pay 25 cents for a banana in Manhattan, and even that is doubly overpriced). I cringed at the thought of how much the food-service company that runs the place must throw out in waste every day. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems as if there must be a tremendous amount of food thrown out.

The Pepper Market's policy of adding a 10 percent gratuity for no table service is another example of Disney's wallet vacuum in action. There is technically table service if you want someone to get your drinks, and the "wait staff" does clear your stuff from your table. But it just seems tawdry to add 10 percent to each check for what is largely a self-serve cafeteria.

Also, one day I got my "scorecard" at the greeter's podium stamped "To Go" because I had intended to get food and eat it on the patio with a relative. When the relative came inside, we decided to stay inside, with my food in the Styrofoam to-go box.

While I was sitting there with my relative, a manager came over and scribbled out the "To Go" stamp on my card, meaning I would pay the 10 percent gratuity even though I had had no intention of eating inside. I didn't bother trying to reason with the guy.

I had one meal in Maya Grill, and that was really excellent. I had asked about vegetarian options, not seeing any on the menu, and the waiter actually brought out the chef. He asked what I wanted, and I said I was flexible, that I really just was wondering if I could get some grilled veggies and a starch or something. He came up with a really flavorful mix of corn, peas, asparagus, broccoli, and artichoke hearts around a mound of rice, which was fine. And the bread and the dipping sauce--olive oil, garlic, and cilantro--is almost a meal in itself. Yes, Maya Grill was pricey, but by that point I was almost numb to Disney's constant assault on my wallet.

Bus Stop No. 2 was about 50 yards from my room, so I didn't have any complaints there. For my needs, a bus was pretty much always available for transportation to and from the parks. There was only one day when I really needed to get to the Magic Kingdom by a certain time and ended up being just a tad late because of a tardy bus; I waited 25 minutes in that case.

I admit Disney does have its transportation system running smoothly, including the Magical Express buses from the Orlando airport to the resorts. (I didn't use the luggage service, as I had only one piece of checked luggage, but my family said it worked fine for them, except one of the bags went to the wrong family member's room.)

And the resort airline check-in, where you get a boarding pass after you check out of your room, is really handy. You check your baggage at the hotel, it somehow gets on your flight, and you go directly to the security screening area and then to the boarding gate.

I also rented a car for one day during my stay, and there was a free shuttle van to pick me up at the Coronado and take me the five miles to the AAA Car Care Center, where Alamo and National have operations. The same shuttle took me back to the hotel after I turned in my rental.

Check-out was painless, as if you don't have any "incidental" charges, you don't even have to stop at the front desk to check out. And believe me, Disney wasn't going to get any incidental charges from me. You can keep your room key/park ticket as a souvenir.

On the whole, I got a bit tired of the Disney parks after about four days. Most of them are geared for kids, and I'm middle-aged and childless.

And I got tired of walking and standing around and waiting so much. Though the resort buses are convenient enough, I think if I were to come back to Disney, I would pony up a bit more for the centrality of the Contemporary or the Polynesian. I would also buy the Disney Dining Plan, and I wouldn't be as shocked by the ridiculous markups on everything that's available for sale.

The Coronado isn't extravagant; it's more functional, a bit of a disappointment for the price. And my feeling is you could probably save money by staying off campus and renting a car, though I hadn't sat down and crunched the numbers between the two options. I will next time, though, if there is a next time.

• Liked — Convenience of bus system to Disney parks
  • Disliked — How spread out the resort was
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank pjaymac
Honolulu
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I was disappointed in the Coronado, although it is a relaxing, beautiful resort.

The concierge hours are very limited, making international arrivals/departures difficult.

The Bell services were barely adequate, they had one bellperson working on the weekend morning of my departure, making me schedule an inconvenient luggage pick-up time.

Selection of restaurants is very limited and not very good.

But my biggest disappointment was the transportation available. After assuring me I didn't need a rental vehicle, the shuttle service was spotty, unreliable and very time consuming.

• Liked — relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — transportation, lack of convienence
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank tarkus16
New Jersey
Reviewed May 8, 2008

The pastel Spanish style buildings, tile floors and waterfront lagoons of the Coronado are so inviting. If only this property could back up the beauty with service, lodging and food to match. To be fair, one could not ask for a more pleasant staff who, once they realize there is a problem, most will try to remedy it. It is just that there are so many, many problems, like not speaking English for one.
It seems to require 3 staff, one a translator, to communicate with a guest. At the concierge's desk, the staff always seemed to come to one person to ask how to do something or what to do. He would patiently stop what he was doing and tell them, while his own guests waited.
Lacking common sense is another problem. I watched fresh fruit being dished up in the food court, straight out of the box. No need to wash here. Maybe that explains why the microwave, where I was sent to warm my Sticky Bun, was absolutely filthy. It does not explain why there is no place to set down one's food at the cashier's station. It does not explain why our waiter left us during dinner in the lovely onsite restaurant to take care of a party of 12, and we did not see him again for 30 minutes. When I brought it to the manager's attention, he said he would: "Talk to him about it."
Previous notes about bus service made me smile. The Corornado buses were always the last buses on the round. It was routine to wait 45 minutes for a bus, and then twice we had to ask other drivers to radio for one.
Because the front desk could not find my reservation for a half hour at check in, I asked for a waterfront room. My request was granted, or so I thought. When we arrived at the room, its view was of a stucco wall to the side and a stucco railing in front. The room was dark, smelled of smoke, small, had no desk, and was furnished only with hard surfaces. It took us four hours to get moved, and that only because I persisted. Upgrade? forget it!
For two nights, we went without air conditioning because the engineers had mysteriously reset the system.
This properety, while lovely, would never, ever get a recommendation from us. If it were not Disney, it would be out of business. And this is only half the story.

• Liked — The resort is lovely
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable rooms and mediocre food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Youyellit
Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2008

For a moderate priced Disney resort, we felt we got our money's worth. The rooms were clean and yes, as others have stated somewhat basic. That said, we felt we were really paying for the close proximity to Disney and the resort feel when you walk around or visit the pool. It was noisier than most hotels when people walked by but we travel with a small noise machine so after my son goes to sleep, we can watch TV and this blocked most of hte external noise. My son (age 3 1/2) loved the slide at the pool and we as a family enjoyed walking around the resort. The weather was great so we didn't mind the walk from our room to the main building. We really liked the Red Pepper and had three meals there-one of each-breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you are there for more than two or three days, it definitely pays to buy the unlimited refill cups. I washed them in our room and used the hot water at the coffee stations to get them extra clean! We also had breakfast at the full service restaurant on site and thought it was way overpriced for what we got--a mediocre buffett at upscale buffett prices. The staff was friendly at check-in and as we went around the resort. The lifeguards at the pool did a nice job and were very alert. We did have difficulties with the concierge desk--the person we spoke with had trouble with a ticket transaction and told us there were no available character breakfasts or dinners available at the hotels or resorts during our stay. We called the dining number ourselves and were able to get in a character dinner with Pluto and Goofy at the Swan--excellent food and the characters and their guide did a super job. Worth the money. As a tip, if you do the character dinner at the swan, afterwards you can walk across an outdoor area and catch a free boat to the "Boardwalk area."

All of this said, we enjoyed this hotel and liked it better than Port Orleans. If you are looking for a famiy getaway and don't need too much space, this is a good choice. I personally wouldn't think of this hotel if I was looking for a "romantic getaway" hotel as other reviewers have stated they wanted. It does cater to families and conferences and worked well for us.

• Liked — Disney propert so eligible for extra magic hours at parks, location-good, pool
  • Disliked — noise when people walked by
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family