“Be sure about what you are wanting in a resort”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #174 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Coronado Springs resort on our family trip to Disney in April. This was my first time staying on any Disney property, and my wife's 4th. She said she enjoyed it probably as much as her other stays (Port Orleans and French Quarter.) I would rate our stay as about a 3.5 out of 5.

THE GOOD
The resort is nice, it reminded me of our other tropical vacations. The decor in the main areas is beautiful. The rooms are pretty standard, they are clean, but certain aspects could be updated (i.e. the bathrooms.) I know that you are paying to be on property, but frankly, I have stayed at MUCH nicer hotels and paid half of what we paid to be here (even with the 30% off promo.) The pool was nice, but from the pictures, I actually expected it to be nicer.

THE BAD
Walking! Be prepared to walk. You are either going to be close to the pool, close to the main restaurants, or equally far away from everything. We were close to the restaurants, which was nice, but we had a 10-15 minute walk to get to the pool, which was the last thing we wanted to do after being in the parks all day. The second problem is the concierge staff. They have an international flair, but if you had one from a non-English speaking country, communicating was a HUGE challenge. My mother in law had to leave after the first day, and getting her cancelled (even with the insurance) took almost an hour. Then on our last day they messed up my sons transportation voucher for the airport and told us it would be an hour before he could get on a bus. After telling them this was unacceptable (and waiting another 20 min) we were given a taxi voucher to the airport. These are not big problems, but not the thing you expect to encounter when paying the money to stay on site at a Disney resort.

In the end, it was ok...I'm glad we stayed there, but we will not return and will probably stay off site next time we are in Orlando.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Reuben32
Write a ReviewReviews (6,262)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

After arriving on the Magical Express, we were pleased to find that they could accommodate our early arrival. As others have said, this is a sprawling resort. While many of the rooms are a fair hike from the hotel's amentities, none are far from the park shuttles. The staff were friendly and hospitable. The pools were large and clean. I didn't eat in any of the sit-down restaurants, but the grab and go was overpriced and just okay (as with most similiar Disney operations). Unlike a lot of the other places we say, it was not overrun by kids. It was as nice and relaxing as any vacation to Disney World can be.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sara C
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Coronado Springs is a wonderful resort with tons to do. The pools are amazing as is the scenery. We stayed there during our trip to Disney to run the Princess Half Marathon. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. Although it isn't cheap, it is well worth the price!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mlynch23
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This resort has a great pool, but the cabanas are in need of updates. The rooms are dark and dated and really need some updates that add a little light. If yours tau at cabanas your are always last bus drop and first pick up so five your self a little more time for travel to the parks. They also do not offer many options for pun h or dinner, it's a either or situation if you are in need of meal at the hotel. My daughter was sick and indexed to use my dining plan for table service at a quick service meal restaurant, the from desk was non cooperative and wouldn't allow me to do so but offered no other options for us. The manager at the quick service restaurant "pepper mill", Was the only accommodating staff at resort.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natalie M
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here for 10 nights and enjoyed the stay. The staff at front desk/shop/restaurant were always helpful/friendly. The room was of a good size with all aspects of the room working ok. The only complaint about the room would be the selection of channels on the TV - a bit limited.

The hotel itself is big - fortunately we were put in the 3rd block so didnt have to walk too far to get to the main reception/restaurant. Only visited the main pool a couple of times for drinks - there is a quieter pool in the grounds which was more relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmcd31
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Coronado Springs at the end of April/beginning of May 2013 for a few nights. We are Disney Vacation Club owners and normally stay at the Deluxe Villas type resorts, but we opted to spend a few nights at the Coronado and pay out of pocket to try out some more Disney hotels. We were pleasantly surprised. The resort is pretty large with a nice walking path around the lake at the resort. This made for nice walks to the main buildings to the lobby or food and drinks. We stayed in Casitas building 4 on a ground unit floor. The room had a nice king sized bed that was relatively comfortable. I liked that you could close off the double sliding doors in the sink/bathroom area for privacy. The room was nicely appointed and the decor went nicely with the Spanish-type theme of the resort. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Even though the resort looked pretty full with some type of convention going on, it was nice and quiet. Security patrolled often and staff always seemed to be walking around. There was a bus stop very close to our unit, but we used our rented car the entire trip. The only thing I really missed from the DVC resorts was a microwave, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. The pools were very nice and parking was easy. The onsite store had some nice merchandise and we ate breakfast from the market. We did not try out any of the restaurants, but we checked them out and they looked above average to good. We would definitely stay here again and found the price to be reasonable. It's a very good option for those who want to stay in an mid-grade Disney hotel. We very much enjoyed our trip and the hotel was a great place to relax after a long day at the parks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LKNnurse
Reviewed May 6, 2013

When I arrived, the 2 queens room I requested was 'upgraded" to a single king. I asked for 2 queens for a reason - there were 3 of us staying there. After that was settled, no one explained to me that I needed to speak with bell services to have someone assist with my luggage or simply to even get a luggage cart. After I drove allll the way around the world to my room, of course there are no luggage carts because you have to request them at the lobby. After lugging my child & my luggage to my room, the keys won't work. After someone FINALLY comes to let me in, they leave to get new keys and didn't return for quite some time. During that time, I was basically held hostage - couldn't leave my room since I wouldn't be able to get back in and couldn't leave to go to the parks either since my keys are my ticket.
After that was sorted out, I went to Epcot. I had put a credit card on file to charge things to, so I tried to charge my dinner to the room - the new keys specifically said "not for charging" and I didn't notice that since I specifically asked at check in.
The next day we received new keys AGAIN and went to Animal Kingdom. After trying to charge things to my room there, I was told there was no PIN on file for my card. I specifically had that set up previously as well. After that park trip, I went to the lobby myself to explain the situation. A lovely front desk associate resolved the situation and gave us our 4th and final set of keys - the only fully functioning set. She gave us a room credit for our trouble, but it was much less than a magical experience.
I had no idea that we were basically on our own so far away from the lobby. There was never anyone available for assistance in our building. I've previously only stayed in commercial hotels - Hampton Inn, etc - and my experiences there were significantly better. The only way I will ever consider staying on Disney again is if I can afford one of the resorts with a monorail stop - otherwise, I'll certainly look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family