“What Happend”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #57 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We started staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter in 1996 and have returned every 2 years.It has always been a great place to stay,untill this year.It is still very clean and the staff are wonderful, the gardens are immaculate but the rooms are well overdue a make over.The bathroom was neglected to the point the surface of bath was missing in places,the wall sockett moved when you plugged the hairdryer in.Gone are the fluffy towels.The mattress was of the kind you rolled into the middle whether you wanted to or not.The bedroom furniture look tired and the television was very retro.It is an none smoking hotel and there are designated areas ,but unfotunately one is outside the food court therefore it isnt very pleasent if you wish to eat outside.Also the non smoking rule was not policed very well. Apart from the these little problems it is still a great place to enjoy and relax after a hectic day in the parks.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,636)

Reviewed October 5, 2010

Stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for ten nights with my teenage son. This was our second visit, previously staying in 1997 and the rooms have not been updated since this time! Our room was a good size for the two of us but the furnishings etc were old and shabby. The bathroom was awful, the bath being old and stained and with some of the tiles cracked. The beds were comfortable and we didn't get any bites from bed bugs as other visitors have mentioned. Mousekeeping was good.
On the plus side, this is a lovely resort in all other aspects. The grounds are tranquil and well maintanined. The pool area is a hit with all ages and was patrolled by numerous lifeguards. There is a quick service food court which has a good selection on offer and we always found the staff at the resort friendly and helpful at all times.
The bus transportation was very good and the longest we waited was about 15 minutes.
The theming of French Quarter is very well done and in keeping with the theme throughout except for the bedrooms! Another great aspect of this resort is the boat service to Downtown Disney. We found it such a lovely way to travel to and fro especially on warm nights.
All in all I would recommend this resort if you can put up with the accomodation as it has so much going for it. We really enjoyed our stay and would definately return if renovations were due to take place in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Lesleyann13
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed here for two nights b/c it was one of the host resorts for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. This is now my new favorite Disney property. The resort is very quiet and peaceful and the buildings, foliage and ambiance are absolutely beautiful - almost more New Orleans than New Orleans itself! There's a river that runs across the rear of the resort and ferries to Riverside and Downtown Disney. I do agree with other posters that the rooms are a bit worn and in need of a serious technology update. Why Disney doesn't provide Wifi or a decent TV is beyond me. Housekeeping was very good and would leave different little towel animals in unexpected places. The beds were nice and comfy - I actually slept quite well and (thankfully!) did not have a bedbug experience like some other posters. My only complaint is directed to the food court, which as per usual Disney, is overpriced and generally mediocre. That said, I would definitely stay here again - I actually liked POFQ much better than the more expensive Saratoga Springs.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adrianacollado
Reviewed October 2, 2010

This was probably the 10th time I have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter. Although the rooms are the same size and layout as the other mid-priced Disney properties (Caribbean Beach, Coranado Springs, etc), I love the look and feel of this particular hotel. The design with the quaint streets, parks and fountains make it a very attractive hotel. The location "on the river" is a plus scenery wise and well as the water transportation to Downtown Disney.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2010

First off, you all need to know that I work at a hotel and I have been in the hospitality business for a little over 10 years! I love doing what I do and I really tried hard NOT to have my employee hat on while we stayed at a different hotel. So please keep this in mind. I usually critique to the extreme but I have to say, they really could not have done a better job, here is our experience:

We checked in on Sunday September 19 at around 11pm, the front desk host was very sweet. She was french and made us feel very welcome. She asked us if we were there celebrating anything and of course we told her our honeymoon. She gave us pins and we were also celebrating my birthday and gave me a birthday pin with a baloon she drew on it! I wanted to ask her if we could possibly upgrade to a king bed but she kind of stopped me before I could finish and then before I knew it, she was showing us where our room was. After she had already assinged us our room, I then asked her if any king bedded rooms were available but she went to the back office to check to see and unfortunately, there were none for our 6 night stay. She told us that but she was very gracious.

I called down to housekeeping on our second day there to let them know that we would not be requiring housekeeping at all during our stay because I understand how many uneccessary towels guests typically go through and we would be fine without a ton of towels usage during our 6 nights there, but almost everyday we came back to our room, there was a bag of towels hung on our door knob because we had the DND sign. Even though I thought it was a very nice gesture, I also kind of wish the housekeeper I called over the phone had listened to me and not sent us soooo many towels, because 3 bags of them were just sitting in our room during our whole stay, but again, that was still nice of them to do that.

Every staff member we encountered was great. The concierge usually was very busy but they were always very pleasant to speak with. We spoke to an older lady who was an avid pin collector and she was so sweet! I got a great laugh out of the doorman who was wearing a very feathery hat, he was real nice too. I kind of felt bad for him since it was so hot and humid, that he had to wear all that gear.

Our hotel room was nice and really located in a perfect place in the hotel. Now this hotel is not by any means small, but it wasn't nearly as big as the other properties which for us, was very nice! Our room number was 1313 and it was right near the water taxi that took you over to Downtown Disney and also other properties. At the end of the day at each park, it was a little far when we would get home but, thats just nit-picking! Were spoiled Californians with our awesome weather, the humidity just killed us.

Breakfast and dinner were perfect. We had the Disney dinning plan and I have to say, that really IS the way to go!! It was sooo worth the money. The quick snacks, the snacks and the table services all worked out perfect. We ate at Yak and Yeti at the Animal Kingdom, the Coral Reef at Epcot, 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian, Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios and Tony's Restaurant at The Magic Kingdom. The best quality of food was 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. If you are traveling with a little girl or someone who loves Cinderella, this is the perfect character dinning for you. All the characters made an appearance. From Lady Tremaine to both of the evil step sisters, the one in the green, whom I think was Drisella, she was soo freaking funny! They were all so nice and the food was extremely good, the mash potatoes were awesome and so was the strawberry soup!

The weather was hot and humid all the time but it we got used to it and the only bad day of weather we got was Friday at the Magic Kingdom. It rained on us for only a few hours but it atcually felt kind of good. All the parks were amazing, we hopefully will be back when we decide to have children and I really wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian after having dinner there, I was so impressed with the hotel. The Port Orleans French Quarter was so much fun. We had a blast and we both can't wait to go back. For the meantime, Disneyland will have to do since we live like 10 minutes away! Great job Disney and kudos to Port Orleans staff!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sothrncalguy
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter September 22-26.
This was our first time at a Disney Moderate Hotel and it was exactly that - moderate.
Not that it is a bad thing, just different from our past experiences.

The Highlights -
~Mickey Mouse Not so Scary Halloween - a must do for everyone! We enjoyed it tremendously and will do again.
~Boatwright's restuarant - Great food, Good Atmosphere and excellent service!
~Dining plan - fabulous and will do again on the next trip.
~French Quarter - nice grounds, peaceful atmosphere, great pool, excellent food court for coffee and quick snack.
~Boat service to parks and downtown disney - Wonderful, nice change from the bus.

The Lowlights
~ Monorail - if you have ever stayed at one of the Deluxe hotes than you will miss this. We felt as if it wasn't a true experience since we didn't get on the monorail.
~ French Quarter - Rooms are outdated, worn and yes, I had bites all over my feet from bed bugs...had to wear socks the second night of our trip till the end due to the bites!
The staff wasn't overly friendly, didn't really have the "Magical" feel to it as some resorts.

Overall it was a good time, Disney always is but not sure we would stay at the French Quarter again, we will spend a little more money and go back to the Deluxe resorts.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2010

This was our second time staying at the French Quarters, it was just as nice if not better than the first time. Staff is very friendly and personable. Next time we go we are going to get a water view. The food is great for a quick service. Kids love the pool. Will stay there next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SuzyX5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
1 mi away
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!