“Appropriate for what you pay”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #62 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
waukesha, wi
“Appropriate for what you pay”
Reviewed October 29, 2006

We visited in October. We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was very clean and quiet. The food court food was just so-so especially for what the food cost. We liked the small compact feel of this resort. We took the ferry from Port Orleans French Quarter to Downtown Disney. It was very convenient. For this price range, I would definitely recommend this hotel. If you are looking for greater comfort (like queen size beds) I would say pay more and you will get more!

• Liked — Clean, quiet
  • Disliked — The food court food could be improved
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the ferry to Downtown Disney
4 Thank suechucky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Nottingham
Reviewed October 29, 2006

This was our fourth trip to Disney world, and this was our best hotel experience so far.
The French Quarter was beautifully themed with spacious open areas, and a river running along the length of it.
We did our homework before we went and requested a room in building 5 (no smoking block next to the pool) facing either the river or the gardens (I pointed out that I wanted a quiet room and did not want to face the pool area, but wanted to be near it for the children). We were allocated exactly what I asked for! We were even placed an equal distance between stairways and escalaters and so there was minimal foot traffic in front of the room. I was delighted with the room location and the cleanliness on arrival.
The hotel was small and quiet and everywhere was easily accessible. This hotel is the smallest moderate resort.
Unlike an earlier review, we found the pool area to be quiet when we were there and the children loved an afternoon swim before returning to the parks. When we returned in the evening the pool area was a little more busy and noisy (not overly so), and I was pleased to walk around block 5 to the tranquility of the garden area.
We used the foodcourt for breakfast every morning and we easily found a table and never had to wait long for a good breakfast. I found the food prices to be very reasonable - childrens breakfast with a drink only cost ~£2.50.
The maid service was good and we received 3 towel animals during our 2 week stay, which the children were excited about. Beds were changed every three or four days, and there were always plenty of fresh towels.
We had cause to contact maintenance twice during our stay: One morning the toilet wouldn't flush, and when we arrived back from the park it had been repaired; and one evening we couldn't find our remote for the TV (I think the maid had collected it up when stripping the beds) and someone arrived with a new one in ~15 minutes - Excellent!
The buses to and from the parks were excellent, we never waited long for one in either direction.

I adore Disney and this hotel was perfect for our needs, I hope that we will return!

Hotels that we have stayed at previously:
Disney's All star movies - very good for the money, but a little hectic and so we decided to spend a little more the following years.
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Beautiful, but too spread out for us. We were in a building a long way from the amenities.
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Lake Buena Vista - We chose it so that the children had their own area, but it was horrible and off site.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Noisy air conditioning, but you do get used to it!
  • Tips/Secrets — Do your homework before you go and request a room appropriate for your needs
29 Thank Judith1964
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2006

Firstly let me say, this hotel is set in absolutely Beautiful grounds and that is its plus point. However we certainly wont be staying again in the near future.

Firstly we were given a great room, with a lovely river view, however upon entering it absolutely reeked of smoke.
I called Mousekeeping and they prompty brought a spray and sprayed the room. We were told this was a smoking room - we were going to change but after I had already started to unpack and the lovely view we decided to stay put as the view was so lovely.
Unfortunately, we should have moved as the room stunk the whole week we were there. Blankets and Bedding all smelt of smoke.

The room was okay size, the beds certainly not double and the furniture was a little tatty.

The boat to Downtown Disney was brilliant we loved this.

However heres what we didn't like:-
The Pool was heaving with screaming children all day and until very late at night, thankfully we were in building 2 which was away away.
I know Disney hotels are mainly for families but this screaming went on till well past midnight.

Also, dont people have any respect anymore. Groups of families would stand outside other peoples rooms laughing and shouting late at night with no consideration of other people in their rooms.

Also the rooms have paper thin walls. I could hear people coughing in the next room and the whole time we were there I was frightened to put our TV on as you could hear everything going on in the rooms next to yours.

The Restaurant was horrendous, herds of people all day and night long screaming and shouting, all up your backsides frightened you were having something they were missing and the food was pretty bad.
Typical Disney food, Pizzas (undercooked), burgers and strange looking meats.

Thankfully our room was a base as we only used it for sleeping in but if it hadn't I think I would have been dissappointed.
An upmarket Holiday camp is all I can think of in comparison.

Here is my main gripe, mousekeeping was awful.
There was a piece of red plastic on our tiled floor by the Bathroom sinks that stayed there the whole time we were there.
Thats how much cleaning went on. When we left there was so much dirt on the picture that I wrote "DIRT DIRT DIRT" with my finger in it.

Staff were pleasant, but had no clues if you had a problem - on one occasion I sorted the problem out as the front desk did not have a clue.

I think this hotel is great for families who want to run wild, but for a couple or a couple with children who dont want to feel like its a free for all I would not recommend this hotel.
Use the high price and go somewhere with a bit more class.
Its a shame because the grounds are very tranquil - though that changes when you reach the pool and the restaurant.

• Liked — Beautiful Grounds
  • Disliked — Not what I expected a Disney Hotel to be.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away unless you like chaos, noisy rooms and bad housekeeping
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank bagsgalore
Memphis, TN
Reviewed October 19, 2006

My husband, daughter (age 5) and I stayed at POFQ Oct.9-14, 2006. We were in building 6, second floor. We all loved the hotel. The size of the resort is perfect because all buildings are within easy walking distance to the pool, food court, lobby, and bus stop. The Disney shuttles were great every day of our stay. When we shared a bus with POR, we were always picked up first and dropped off first. Housekeeping did a good job and all employees we encountered were friendly and helpful. If you stay here be sure to take advantage of the boat service to Downtown Disney and POR, make ADR's for Boatwright's at POR, and check out the bike and boat rentals at POR. (POFQ and POR are sister resorts so you have privileges at both.) We will definitely stay at this resort again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — use the boats
9 Thank Memphisprincess
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2006

I was divided between staying here or at Pop Century but in the end decided on POR – French Quarter after reading the reviews for both hotels and deciding small is beautiful. Once home I can say I defiantly made the right decision staying here for 11 nights. The other resorts seemed spaced over a wide area compared to the compact POR-FQ.

Disney Magical Express – After landing at Orlando airport the Disney check in was difficult to find despite the location information on the booklet. Once found everything went very smoothly and within an hour of landing was at the reception desk checking in. My baggage however took over 3 hours to appear but I was informed this was due to 3 vans of baggage arriving at the same time when I phoned the concierge desk to enquire. When it was time to leave the bus returned me to the airport in plenty of time to catch my flight home.

Check In – I had booked through the UK Disney web site. When I presented the various vouchers for the accommodation and park pass I was sent the cast member (Doc) informed me there was a problem as the UK Disney site is not compatible to the main Disney system. Why? He went away returning from time to time to keep me informed and after 20 minutes managed to get everything sorted and handed me my room card and information pack. The room card is also you park pass and you can charge everything you buy to it at the parks and have it delivered to your room.

Room – I was in building 5 on the top floor in a non-smoking room as requested which was only 60 seconds from the food hall, concierge desk, gift-shop and 90 seconds from the bus stop. The room was very comfortable with 2 double beds, fridge, coffee maker, in-room safe and plenty of storage space. The toilet flush is rather loud as is the a/c unit but you get used to it. I was never disturbed by any noise expect for the a/c unit the whole time. It was cleaned every day but I noticed that the top shelves had a thick layer of dust which I removed with some damp tissues when I arrived. One day I was left a towel bunny which I appreciated.

Food Hall – The food was freshly prepared when you ordered it and was fine but the options are limited and never change. I bought the refillable mug which re-paid itself several times over as advised. The queues at the register were always short even at the busiest times.

Disney Transportation – I never waited more than 5-10 minutes for buses to any of the parks or downtown Disney. As mentioned before the buses expect for downtown Disney stop here first before going onto Riverside which has 4 stops unlike FQ which only has one so you always found a seat. The buses were clean and comfortable and the drivers informed you where to catch the return bus at each park and other information about the park. Sometimes the noise of understandably excited children and people talking made these announcements impossible to hear. After the firework shows at each park there were plenty of buses waiting so you never had to wait more than 5 minutes. You can also catch a ferry to downtown Disney which starts after 11:00am and to the Riverside resort which are worth well catching.

Concierge Desk – I wanted to go to Sea World and Universal Studios and thought I be thrown out for asking but I was wrong. The staff were again very helpful and friendly and advised me to book a shuttle which costs $15 return and you can specify the pick up and return times to suit your day. They were very happy to do this for me and it’s best to arrange this the day before you want to go. I was also able to ex-changed my travellers cheques here.

Resort – The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. I never used the pool which seemed popular going by the noise coming from it when I walked pass. The hot tub looked inviting but again I never used it. All the staff are friendly and approachable and seem to go that bit extra to make your stay enjoyable. The Riverside resort is only a 10 minute walk away along the river bank and you can catch the ferry to return. Unless you have a lap top you have to go to Disney Quest in downtown Disney to access the internet where it’s free.

• Liked — How close to hand everything was.
  • Disliked — Lack of internet access unless you have a lap top. Had to go to downtown Disney.
  • Tips/Secrets — Unlike me get the dinning plan. Next time I will.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
25 Thank Jambo1874
Mount Juliet, TN
Reviewed October 10, 2006

This was a great place to stay. The room was good. It was clean and housekeeping did a good job. We stayed in Building 4 and was very convenient to the bus stop... which was great. It was a great location to the dining hall and pool as well. It was quiet and better than I expected and that works really well for me. I am very particular to where I stay. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — cleanliness, location and pool, great prices
  • Tips/Secrets — do the disney dining plan - highly recommend
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
12 Thank littlesassy
philadelphia
Reviewed October 8, 2006

My husband and I, along with another couple, just returned from a 7 night stay at the French Quarter. We loved the resort. It was nice and quaint, by Disney standards. I stayed at Coronado Springs a few years ago for a business trip and hated that after a long day you had a 15-20 minute walk to your room. You definately don't have this at the French Quarter. We requested (and received) a room in building #5 and we were 1 minute from the pool, gift shop, and food court. It was fantastic. The rooms are a bit small but we were 4 adults in one room and really had no issues. The curtain between the room and the vanity area was great. As others have said the toilets are a bit loud but it wasn't has bad as some have made it out to be. Our room was clean and the "mousekeeper" left us a bunny on day #3 which was great. The staff in the whole resort were very kind and helpful. The food in the food court was decent and you must have a homemade ice cream cookie sandwich. Delicious!! Overall, we loved the resort and my husband and I are already planning our anniversary trip for next year and plan to stay the the French Quarter again!!!

• Liked — The French Quarter theme
  • Disliked — Food court could have more choices
  • Tips/Secrets — Definately buy the refillable mug...you can use them year after year....
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
15 Thank disney4ever
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!