“All good except the food”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 23, 2005

My husband and I (50+), from Australia, stayed here for 5 nights and overall we were very happy with our choice. I had researched extensively before our holiday, which was part of a 15 week around the world trip. We transferred from an Orlando hotel and our room was ready for us at 10 a.m. Check-in was very fast, with friendly and helpful service. Our luggage arrived promptly, and was also picked up quickly on checkout. A tip was also refused for this service, which greatly surprised us!
Our room was spacious, quiet and very clean, with plenty of towels, soap, etc. It was also thoroughly cleaned every day of our stay. We never had to wait long for buses and always got a seat. We chose this resort because it was small, which meant not much walking around the grounds.
The only thing which wasn't good was the quality of the food in the cafetaria - it was AWFUL. We only ate one meal there, and that was one too many! On our trip we stayed in 42 different hotels, and this would be one of the better ones. Yes, it was expensive, but as this was our first and in all likelihood last trip to Disneyworld, we wanted to stay on-site, and away from noise and crowds. I would certainly recommend this hotel to people of our situation - older, without children, and not necessarily wanting state of the art resort facilities.

• Stayed: November 2005
28  Thank dragonlady2411
Write a ReviewReviews (5,691)

Reviewed December 20, 2005

The first thing that you should know is that this hotel does not have queen beds. They offer rooms with 2 small full beds
They also offer rooms with King beds though the availability of those seem limited.
We requested a king bed and received one of the rooms with the 2 small fulls. We complained twice, but both times they said that they weren't able to put us in a new room until the next day. Also, the first time that we complained the woman at the front desk insisted that we would have to pay more for a king, which didn't seem right because that is what we requested in the first place.

The second negative point would be the cafeteria. We ate breakfast there and the food was kind of gross and very expensive. 2 plates were over 25 dollars. You are basically paying park prices for this food and you would be better off finding something not affiliated with Disney.

The good point would be the Disney buses that take you to the parks. We really utilzed this offer and it was nice not to have to deal with parking at that parks.

I think that this is an adequate place to stay if you are a park enthusist and are just going to use your hotel for sleeping. Do not stay her if you are looking for resort experience. For a resort experience, I would check out the Animal Kingdom lodge. We had friends staying there and it was an amazing facility, with Giraffes and zebras right outside your balcony!

• Stayed: December 2005
22  Thank Cjean24
Reviewed December 12, 2005

My sister and I recently visited the French Quarter at the Port Orleans Lodge at WDW. We stayed for 2 nights and while the weather was not the best, the resort itself was charming. The grounds were well maintained, the lobby was impressive and our room had ample space for 2 adults. It was also very quiet at all times of day. No complaints as far as noisy neighbors or any problems of that kind. Check in was a bit slow but that should be expected in a resort of this size. Our plane came in quite a bit earlier then the 3pm check in time, the resort told us our room was cleaned and ready to go so we actually checked in 3+ hours early. Very convenient as the rest of the day was spent at Downtown Disney. When it came time to transfer our luggage to our second motel, Bell Services handled everything! A real winner in our book!

We would definitly stay here again!

14  Thank lilmuns
Reviewed December 1, 2005

My family and I just came back from the Port Orleans-French Quarter a few weeks ago and have very little to complain about. Can't imagine how some reviews stated such unhappiness and we found everything SO incredibly clean and freshly painted! We really thought this weas an absolute exceptional stay for a "moderate" Disney Hotel, Thanks for a great first family trip to Disney, we weren't disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2005
19  Thank chrisarc69
Reviewed November 28, 2005

November 5-11, 2005

My 12 year old daughter and I had a wonderful stay here! The grounds are lovely, quaint and intimate. It feels like a small town with streets, lampposts and New Orleans-syle buildings. There are walkable gardens tucked everywhere and several friendly salamanders scurrying about. Of all the Disney resorts, this one is the most compact, and is easy to navigate.

We were in room 4121 in Building #4. The rooms have been recently renovated and include two full-size beds (or one king-sized in certain rooms)with colorful Mardi Gras themed bedspreads. There are two pedestal sinks, two mirrors and a long shelf in the vanity area. There is a privacy curtain that can be pulled shut to separate this area from the beds area. Caution: don't leave the curtain half-closed or you'll bump your head on the pole that you use to pull the curtain back and forth! (Can you tell we did this a few times?)

There is also a large dresser, a bench, a wall-rack, and a table with two chairs. The beds were very comfortable with nice linens and feather pillows. We spent a lot of time in them, since my daughter got sick halfway through the vacation and had to spend a day and a half in bed.

Housekeeping was thorough and courteous. They left many towel creations (animals, toothbrush holders, "fans" on faucets, etc.)

There was a bus stop very closeby that offered transportation to all of the parks, and the foodcourt, pool, gift shop and lobby were also very close. There's a boatdock from which you can take a peaceful, free boatride to Port Orleans Riverside Resort or Downtown Disney.

We were very pleased with the level of service and the comfort of this resort. My only complaint would be the air conditioning/heat system. It's a unit under the window which was difficult to maintain at a comfortable level. Other than that, we were quite pleased with this choice.

20  Thank termoo
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Summation: old, dirty room; poor organization at Port Orleans Resort; poor coordination between resort and parks; poor customer service at Port Orleans

The Disney bus dropped us off around 11pm. After waiting behind two guests who were complaining about their accommodations, we went to a room that was smaller, dirtier, and smellier than what we expected. There was grime and hair in the corners of the bathroom. The carpet was old and dirty. The musty smell was overpowered by old cigarette smoke (we booked a non-smoking room because of our asthmatic children).

At midnight, I called and asked about our luggage. I was told that it should be there within an hour. At 1:30am, my wife called and spoke to a manager. The manager said it would be another hour or two and the manager stated that she would never use the express service for luggage, and that we should have kept up with out luggage ourselves. At 3am, our luggage finally arrived and my wife and I were able to fall asleep.

The next day, we attempted to use our Disney card with the dinner package and it was refused at the park. That evening we returned to the Port Orleans and they told us that there was no reason for it not to have worked, but they had to give us new cards since they had to move us out of the smoking room. After moving, we settled down in another room that was cleaner than the previous but still had an old, musty smell and the carpet was well worn – it reminded me of what one sees in a budget motel.

The next day, we again attempted to use our Disney card for a snack and it was again rejected. We returned that night and the concierge advised me to just try go buy something in the snack bar and it would be fine. I asked her why would I go buy something in the snack bar if it had been rejected in two different parks? I asked to speak to a manager and after she argued with me, she reluctantly went and asked for a manager. This manager told me she didn’t know why it wouldn’t work, but that if we incurred any charges that they would take it off the bill.

The next day, we attempted to pick up our free 5X7 portrait that is included in our package. However, the park told us that the resort was suppose to have given us a certificate. That evening we talked again to management, but the manager told us to just have the picture charged to our room and it would be removed. I asked to speak to the general manager the next day about all our problems and the lack of organization at Port Orleans. I was told that he would not speak to me, but I would have to deal with the managers on duty.

On the day of check out, I called the front desk to have the aforementioned charges removed from my bill. After arguing with the person on the phone for twenty minutes, the individual said she would remove the charges (at this time we are not for sure if she did).

I will not return to this resort, and I would never recommend Port Orleans, French Quarter to anyone.

22  Thank efficacious1
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed November 20, 2005

i stayed here for a week in the prime holiday season. i felt there w\as not much to do and all the disney attractions eemed to be a long bus jhourney away. the rooms were fine however there was not much to eat. for the money it was good but not really anything more. Prefered to had stayed at the Colorado Springs Resort.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
1 mi away
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!