“My sons loved the Dragon slide!”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #58 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland
Reviewed March 25, 2005

We went on our first trip to Disney in April of 2004. We were going to stay at the Pop Century, but ended up getting a better deal at the French Quarter (it was reopening after a renovation), I have to say that I was not disappointed,Disney lived up to my expectations. The atmosphere of the resort was charming. We also checked out Riverside while we were there and I don't think it even compared to French Quarter (although it may be undergoing renovation). The boy's stuffed animals were creatively displayed in the room every day when we returned and they enjoyed the special treatment.
The pool area is great (no need to bring your own towels and life jackets are provided for those who can't swim) and the boys are still talking about the dragon slide! The only improvement might be the selection in the food court (maybe more salads), but overall the food is great for little ones. We checked out the Contemporary and Polynesian resorts and I think that I would have been very disappointed if I had spent the $ to stay at either place (FQ is much prettier and cheaper). We are planning a trip back in 2006 and will probably stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2004
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter

Reviewed March 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed here 3/10-16TH and absolutely loved it. I had booked a standard view room at summer rates ($127). We were in room 1422 on 1st floor near food court and bus stop. Even with a standard view - We could look out upon lots of Azealas and other flowers and well manicured gardens.

Like many other reviews it's true this resort is much smaller than Riverside and we're the 1st to be picked up and dropped off. The boat to downtown Disney was great especially when we were going to see Cirque de Soleil (Highly recommended also)

Hotel was quiet. well taken care of and loved the fact that we had a free fridge so we could put groceries and other food we packed into it.

The $11.99 refillable mug was a great value too but we wish it included milk also which both of us love... and the pool was clean and slides fun yes even for adults.

Throughly enjoyed and would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: March 2005
38  Thank hichelle
Reviewed March 21, 2005

We stayed in POFQ for our honeymoon (3/13/05 - 3/19/05) and I chose that resort based on the feedback I read here. We were not disapointed. All of the positive things found in these reviews are true. One thing I want to add is that since all of the rooms with King beds are also handicap rooms, I specifically chose a room with 2 double beds. But my uncle works for Disney and thought he was doing me a favor by getting us upgraded to a King room. Well, I'm glad he did. Honestly, I could not really tell it was a handicap room. I've been in handicap rooms before and this one seemed very normal so don't let that be a deterrant for you. My uncle got us a room with a river view in building 6 and it seemed centrally located between the gift shop/food court, bus stop and boat dock. I loved it and since were we in a corner room, we had two windows. Very quiet! Ask for Room # 6223. There is an elevator so don't worry about being on the 2nd floor. This was my first time staying on property and I'm glad we splurged this time. The shuttle buses and river boat were perfect and we always got a good seat.

• Stayed: March 2005
14  Thank amazingmystery
Reviewed March 16, 2005

My 2 year old daughter, my parents and I shared adjoning rooms at the French Quarter for three nights the beginning of February and found it lovely. We stayed in one of the second floor corner rooms of a building across from the playground, close to the heated pools and restaurant/main building. The service desk was very helpful. We paid about $135 a night per room.

We parked the cars and took Disney's bus transportation to 4 theme parks and the boat to Downtown Disney. We always had a seat and shuttles came at reasonable intervals.

Our rooms were clean, comfortable, updated and surprisingly spacious. They included a refrigerator and an open bath/vanity area that can be curtained off for privacy.

We ate a to-go meal from the restaurant only once, but it was big, hot, tasty and priced as you would expect at Disney. They offered bottled drinks and snacks for purchase all day and stayed open late for convenience, as did the gift shop.

I recommend this moderate resort to families or couples who don't mind 20 minutes to the parks and want a quieter place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2005
19  Thank efie30
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 15, 2005

I am a frequent visitor to Walt Disney World. I've stayed at both the Port Orleans-Riverside and the Port Orleans- French Quarter. My girlfriend and I prefer the French Quarter. The French Quarter feels like a much smaller resort than it really is. It has a definite intimate feeling. There aren't quite as many screaming kids as there are at the Riverside. Since Riverside is only a 10 minute walk from the French Quarter, both resorts share amenities. The Riverside has a marina where you can rent small speed boats that accommodate 2 people, medium boats that accommodate 4 people and large boats that accommodate 8 people. There are also 4-person, 2-person, and 1-person bike rentals. There is also a water shuttle that takes you to and back from Downtown Disney. Having stayed at various Disney "deluxe" resorts, it is definitely not worth the extra money to stay at the more expensive resorts. This is especially true if you won't be spending a lot of time at your resort. The French Quarter is the perfect blend of comfort and value. I would recommend it to anyone.

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2005

We stayed in the Port Orleans French Quarter February 23rd-February 26th. The place is charming, the rooms are very nice, beds comfortable, bathroom clean and well stocked. The kids loved the pool, I loved the hot tub. The food court was convenient, well stocked and the food was decent. The staff was extremely courteous and gracious. We liked the convenience of being able to charge all items in the parks to our room. The bus was great, we were the first stop to Epcot, the first stop to MGM. The boat to downtown Disney was great, unfortunately the last boat was at 11:30 so we had to take the bus back to the hotel. I want to compliment the guest services at the Hotel, we had a bad experience in the restaurant in Italy (at Epcot). We explained the situation to the guest services representative and he removed the cost of the entire meal from our bill with their apologies! We would definitively stay there again.

Amy from New York

35  Thank adinnerman
Reviewed March 6, 2005

My friends and I stayed at the French Quarter February 25th through March 1st. Although Disney classified this period as "peak" season I was able to book the room months in advance at a price of $114 a night which I thought was reasonable since they advertise $159 rack rate for peak season. Our room overlooked a courtyard from building 7.

Building 7 is the furthest from the pool/hot tub, laundry facility, cafeteria and boat dock but it really was only a 5 minute walk to any of these centrally located areas. The walk along the bike path to Riverside from building 7 was also a 5 minute walk to get to Boatwright's restaurant. I would recommend eating at Boatwright's one night because you will get tired of eating cafeteria food at the French Quarter.

The room was clean and comfortable and contained a small refrigerator, iron/ironing board and a hair dryer. The grounds at the French Quarter were kept up well but I actually preferred the landscaping around Riverside better. However, as previous posts have mentioned, Riverside is much larger and does have four bus stops. I preferred staying at the French Quarter for its convenience and intimacy.

• Stayed: February 2005