“Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
NC
“Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We fully enjoyed out stay . Excellent Staff. Everything was close. Our only complaint was too many Fast Passes given out in the parks. We will stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I was there from 3/8 - 3/14/09. I stayed in Building 2 on the 3rd Floor. I had requested for connection rooms and that requested was made. That was a big deal to me cause I had my mom in the next room with my teenager. I also traveled with my 2yr and husband. The double sinks was a huge plus with a teenager. They do need to upgrade the TV but only we were not in the room that much to care. We requested a Water view and that is what we got. We wanted a view of the river but got the pool view. So if you want a specific water view state that when booking.

The Resort is quiet and breath-taking. The pool is great for kids. Even though we only visted it twice, we had a ball. Husband and I enjoyed a few nights at the Scat Cats bar. The jazz player was great. The food court is a standard food court. The staff was always helpful espically the conceirce service. The check-in line was quick and check-out was even faster.

Disney Trans was great as well. I never waited very long for a bus. The only time we waited long was leaving Hollywood Studios after Fanstamic.. And at that it was only 15 minutes and Disney had 2 buses for our resort and Riverside. We had very early breakfasts and the buses got us there in great time. If you are going to Downtown Disney, I would take the Boat every time. It is a little longer but it is so worth it. We only waiting about 10 mins for a boat to come.

Had no complaints about Mousekeeping. Only was disappointed that we only got 2 animals towels in our stay. Bathroom was clean and everything was clean when we came back to the room.

We also rented a car from Alamo at the Disney Car Care Center and had no problems there either. They come and pick you up at the resort and then will take you back to the resort when you done with the car.

As I have stayed at many Disney resorts I have no complaints. I would defintly stay there again and would recommend this hotel to a friend/family as well.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Ohgoosh
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed March 15, 2009

I was there for a week in mid-Mrch 2009. I stayed in Building 5, first floor, courtyard view - perfect! It was literally a 30 second walk to the main building.

Resort - is indeed beautiful and quiet. I was at the Boardwalk one night and thought, "this is loud!". Sometimes being smaller and no signature dining has its advantages! I got back to POFQ and only heard sounds of some pool play and/or Scat Cats. The theme-ing is very good, though the food court is a little on the scary/overboard side, just don't look up.
I loved the french theme itself from the buildings to the street names.

Transportation - I never waited very long for a bus (maybe 10 minutes max), and only once was there was rideshare with Port Orlans Riverside. .
I was at my destination (parks or other resort) very quickly, even with transfers. If there is a question to get to other resorts, just ask and you shall receive an answer. Once I got my bearings, it was very easy to get around.

Food - I never had breakfast at the the foodcourt, but the dinner fare was good. I wasn't impressed with the biegnets (sp?); it was just smaller funnel cakes.

Riverboat - very nice ride down the river to Downtown Disney and you get to see Old Key West, Satatoga Springs and the Treetop Villas along the way. There was never a big line and the max wait was 15-20 minutes, if you did like me and literally miss the boat (twice!). From Downtown, you can also get to any resort (no parks).

Entertainment - Eliot Dyson was very good and I enjoyed listening to him for a few minutes nightly (Wed - Sat). He plays at Scat Cat, but it is pratically in the lobby. You can't miss it.

Housekeeping - seemed good to me; everything seemed clean and I got towels daily as long as I didn't have the privacy tab in. I had no complaints.

Room - very cute! though I can't see a family of 4 in there, be a tad cramped! I guess it depends on the ags of the kids. Loved the double sinks! More non-Disney channels and a newer TV would have been nice, but I only watched before I went to bed, so it was no big deal. Other reviews said they heard commodes flushing & it was loud, but i didn't hear more than a faint noise.

Employees - always helpful, nice. Only once in 7 days was I frustrated when I was trying to mail a package home; got quite a run around, but it ended well enough. Same goes everyone I went, including parks, drivers and other resorts.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MyMuse
Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here last year, first time ever on magical grounds. This was our
sixth trip to DW, we've always rented properties which were nice but I just
couldn't wait to stay on the grounds. There truly is a difference and let me
tell you we weren't disappointed. My husband loves Disney but has always said
that it's not really a vacation, since this trip he has changed his mind. There
are buses and boats that take you to the parks, restaurants and shopping. There
are beautiful grounds, pools, hot tubs to relax in. Our dining was included so
we made arrangements and knew where we were going and when. The castmembers
couldn't be friendlier. The people in the lobby were so polite and quick. The
grounds, absolutely beautiful. We did have to wait until 3:00 to check in, but
that was the time stated, so we just took a drive around to get situated. The
room was nice, it accomodated the four of us just fine and we were in a nice
location-near the pool, lobby, shops, laundry and the boat launch. Even if you
have to walk, this place is just beautiful, relax and take it all in, remember
it was all done, every bit of it, just for your enjoyment. It still gets me
when I think of how much imagination, thought and work that it takes to make it
such a pleasurable experience for all who attend the kingdom. It amazes me in
such a selfish world one man had a vision and it was to make sooo many people
happy and to this day his vision is being carried out.
Anywho, we used the dining plan and the food was outstanding, so worth it. We
felt like kings and queens. I can't say enough, PO Frenchquarter was Magical.
We're going again this year. If you go, you won't be disappointed-believe in
the magic.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank mickeyfanforever
West Chester, PA
Reviewed March 5, 2009

My family has been to Disney and stayed at this resort several times. We love the small setting, compared to the larger resorts. We were a group of seven, so we required two rooms. I asked for connecting (BTW, must ask for connecting rooms, adjoining is next to) and had them. Check in was a breeze. One of the rooms was ready, so we went to that room to drop off carry-on stuff. Not even an hour later, the second room was ready and all of our luggage was in the room. So far, this was more than we could ask for.

We had a great couple of days, returning every day around 1pm from the parks for naps and rest. We were there for 6 nights and with four kids (Ages 7, 4 and 18 month twins), housekeeping of rooms is a necessity. The second day they arrived during nap times. We told them that this would be our time in the room each day. We collected trash and received new towels and they were on their way. The third day, they arrived at 7:45am, we were just about ready, and so we left for the morning. We returned to Mickey shaped and animal shaped towels. My older children were thrilled and loved them. The fourth day, they came at naptime again, after we had asked them for mid morning. The fifth day, they arrived at naptime again. With this, my wife called to complain and said that we would be leaving for the parks around 3:30pm and needed service, they never came. The sixth morning, my wife called again, she was assured that they would come in the morning ansd was told to "have a magical day". We arrived back from the parks and they had not come. I called this time and demanded that they come as soon as we left for the parks this day. We arrived back that night and they had not come. Rather than spoil our last night, we decided to let it go, but have since written letters to the General Manager of the hotel, Director of Operations for the Resorts, and the Director of Guest Relations. I believe that this problem is due to the incompetence of one or two employees out of the hundreds who were wonderful. I almost did not want to include this problem, but wanted to be fair to any other guests.

The pool is really fun for kids, it has a great slide. The pool bar is great for adults and the bartenders are wonderful. Do not ever take the bus to Downtown Disney; there is a boat dock behind the pool. It is about a fifteen-minute ride and is awesome. If you end up at Downtown Disney, take the boat back. Buses to everywhere else came within ten minutes of getting to the bus stop. Some of the buses do stop at the Riverside resort on the way there if the bus is not full. On the way back, the bus from Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom stop at Riverside first.

There is no restaurant at the resort, but the counter service is good. It does not have a great selection, but the friendliness of the staff was great.

We overall had a great time despite our housekeeping misadventures. This resort is great and we would go back in a second.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rchs20
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Disney Port Orleans – French Quarter Resort Review
February, 2009

We just returned from an 8-night stay at the Port Orleans French Quarter (FQ) at Disney World.

This was a good base for touring the various Disney parks. The grounds are very nicely landscaped.

Given the quality of the room, prices are definitely higher than you would expect to pay for the same quality of room outside of Disney. For the additional price you are getting the following benefits:

* Use of the Disney bus and boat transportation systems, so you don’t have to drive and pay for parking.

* Purchases made in the park can be delivered to the motel’s gift store. However, you must be staying for at least two nights from your time of purchase to make use of this.

* Magic Hours - Early entry/late use of a specific park which is only available to Disney resort guests. However, some guides suggest not going to parks on the days which have the Magic Hours, so you might want to think about the value of what you’re getting.

* Ability to purchase a meal plan, which will get you some discounts on food.

The word “resort” in the name is probably stretching the definition a bit. Large motel would probably be more accurate. There is a cafeteria-style dining, but no sit-down full service restaurant. The serving area is small and congested, and you will need to keep a sharp eye out for an available table during busy times. There is a small bar area, a video game arcade, and a gift shop.

Food at the cafeteria was limited, and quite expensive. We were also disappointed at the amount of packaging used (everything is served on paper plates, which have a plastic lid put on top, plastic silverware, and everything is then thrown in the garbage). There was one recycling container for bottles, near the exit, but you had to hunt for it. Decorations consist of oversized plastic mardi gras style masks.

The motel room was fairly clean, though I did find some debris from previous guests. The front doors of some the rooms were scraped and looked like they needed a coat of paint.

Motel type amenities (small in-room refrigerator, coffee maker, hair drier) are provided. Soap and shampoo are provided, but not hand lotion. There is a nice design feature, which is a curtain which separates the sinks/changing area from the rest of the bedroom. This is nice to allow for a private changing area, and to allow one person to sleep in a bit while the other showers or changes.

Staff were helpful, and knowledgeable about park activity times.

The room was generally quiet, which was appreciated after some long days of touring the parks. However, we did hear the sound of toilets flushing from the rooms around us. Also, we were there during a colder spell, so didn’t have to deal with people lingering on the porch/walkway which runs in front of the rooms, which has been a complaint of other reviewers.

Like all of the Disney hotels/motels, this one is large (but smaller than some of the other properties), so try to get a room relatively close to the bus stop and cafeteria to minimize long walks at the beginning and end of each day.

The pool is quite large and fun for kids. Lifeguards were on hand, and appeared to be vigilant. There is also a hot tub. A pleasant trail winds alongside the river, which is nice if you’re looking for a quiet place to get away from things for a bit.

We didn’t spend much time at the motel, and only used it as a place to sleep and have breakfast. For us, it was nice not having to rent a car, and just using the Disney transport system and having our purchases delivered. We also fully used the meal plan we had purchased.

We also planned to eat dinners at various restaurants in different hotels and parks, so were not concerned about the lack of a full service restaurant.

If the above sounds like your plan for visiting Disney World, and you are OK with the basic motel amenities, then the French Quarter might work for you.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank Smokeyham
Phila, PA
Reviewed March 4, 2009

October will be our 3rd time staying at this wonderful resort. My family and I love everything about this place. It's small, all buildings are close to the bus stop, food court, and pool. We love the boat to downtown Disney...and we also enjoy the beignets for breakfast...Yum!! It was always nice after a long day at the parks to come back to our room and relax. The housekeeping was great, and always took care our our trash and gave us fresh towels. We are literally counting down the days till our next trip.

Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank allie3490
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!