“As good as we remembered”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Letterkenny, Ireland
“As good as we remembered”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed here for 10 nights either side of Easter-we chose to return here for our anniversary, having stayed on our honeymoon. A complimentary upgrade was waiting for us on arrival, to our surprise and delight. The foyer and reception have had a sprucing up since our last visit - both were looking very well.
The restaurant is quick service, offering a good variety of food for all meals of the day at fairly good value. The pool bar remains as cheerful as ever, with a broader selection of drinks and an updated cocktail menu. The bar inside was also nice, although the entertainment wasn't as good as when we were here last - the lively jazz man who played his own instruments 6 nights a week has been replaced by a generic lounge singer with a laptop, 4 nights a week.
Each night a disney movie is shown under the stars, after toasting marshmallows by the new campfire-a quirky alternative for an evenings entertainment.
Being one of the Downtown Disney resort hotels, French Quarter is geographically convenient for lots-none of the parks are a particularly long bus trip away, and non-disney resorts aren't too far either. Downtown Disney itself is accessible either by bus or by river boat.
Transport to and from the airport was provided and a time-appropriate bus was booked for you. Advance check-in for your flight is also available now, although it didn't quite work for us- only I was checked in, with no luggage. I suspect that the fact that we were taking multiple flights, the second of which was international may have confused the system, but knowing Disney this will be ironed out over the next few months.
Out of the vast range of Disney hotels (and I have researched them all by now!), French Quarter remains our favourite, for charm and convenience. We can't wait to come up with an excuse to return, whenever that may be.

Room Tip: This is a small resort, so you're never more than a 5 minute walk from anything on-site. Corner...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank northern_highlights

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have stayed here with my son on three occasions. Very comfortable room. Lovely pool area with dragon slide for the kids. Disney is my favorite place EVER... So I can only give kudos to everything we have experienced here. The buses take you from a few feet from your room to whatever 'island' you want to see. These buses run every two minutes or so. The rooms are themed and clean. Next trip will be with my fiancé who has never been to Disney :( . We will be staying at the Grand Floridian! Really beautiful. I can't wait to show him the magic of this place.

Room Tip: All the hotels are lovely, but if you have kids... Keep in in your price range. As middle aged peop...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bennynsue
Medford, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Beautiful grounds , Bus service drops you in front of parks, leave parks get on bus and 20 minutes later you are in the pool, Then go back to parks all refreshed for a second round.
Rooms have trundle beds so you can sleep 5 . Staying onsite is the way to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MEDFORD147
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Our first trip to Orlando and Disney world and I had been somewhat overwhelmed by the options of where to stay and go. We planned to be out most days so really just needed a base and a place for breakfast. The French Quarter was recommended and it was a good call.

We arrived late and very tired having been awake and travelling for 21 hours. The Magical Express coach collection was efficient and just what we needed. Check in was completed smoothly however there was no offer to help us with our bags. The room had all we needed and the fridge was a welcomed facility for us. The safe was a little on the small side and large valuables like cameras didn't fit. Pillows are foam and very narrow. I never really found these comfortable. The room could have been a little cleaner when we arrived (hairs in the sink) but after that house keeping was excellent.

As ever with all Disney property, the layout of the estate is well designed with an impressive eye for detail. The pool is excellent, a little bracing when first submerged but patrolled by an impressive 5 guards until late at night. There were organised children's events everyday in the afternoon which was great for when we got back from a park after an early start. Free sun beds and pool towels was a nice touch.

The gift/ snack shop is expensive and if we were to go again we would hop a taxi to Walmart or Target to stock up on basic snacks and drinks to enjoy in the room. Food items seemed to be double standard US prices. Some Disney gifts are more expensive than the big store in Downtown Disney but most were identically priced.

The food court serves breakfast and we occasionally ordered pizza here for supper. From 8.00AM it gets pretty crowded and noisy. The portions are generous and I found the kids meals enough for me as I don't like big breakfasts. All is well cooked but we found that we were usually having a bagel and a banana. We stayed for 2 weeks so the unlimited drinks cup for $17.99 proved to be excellent value as we used it for morning coffee, water and evening drinks as well. If you want fresh milk with your tea/ coffee, you need to ask at the bakery counter. We found all staff very friendly and willing to share a joke. Bumping your magic band to pay is very convenient.

Reception staff were at all times extremely helpful, even when I needed help getting to Universal studios. There is a shuttle taxi that needs to be booked the day before but costs $20/ person for a round trip. Collection needs to be pre-arranged or called in 2 hours before collection time which is 15 minutes past the hour. Bell services are extremely friendly and helpful and refused all attempts to give them tips.

Be aware that the schedule of park opening times that you are given on check in changes each week. Make sure you find out when a new timetable is available. We found opening times changed significantly, especially the special hour you get before and after main opening for resort guests.

Easter Sunday they organised a candy scramble for the children. I have never seen so many sweets. Organisers kindly arranged an alternative bag owing to my daughter's nut allergies. Mickey Mouse came to visit for photos.

The bus service is frequent and waiting times were usually no more than 10 minutes. However after Easter Sunday the service deteriorated dramatically and we once waited 35 minutes whilst others in the queue said they had waited over an hour. The buses drop off very close to the park gates and are much better than driving there yourself.

The ferry service to Downtown Disney starts around 10.00 (most shops dont open until 10.00) and is a very enjoyable 20 minute journey. The 'captains' are happy to give a short commentary on whats going past.

I have little to criticize this resort for. My main complaint would be that we stayed in block 6 and there was considerable building work going on opposite. As we were out most of the time this wasn't really an issue, however, after Easter Sunday they started replacing sections of paving and on our last full day when we hoped to have an afternoon nap before an evening out there was loud concrete cutting served by concrete dumper trucks very close by that put a stop to that.

I would recommend this for families with children under 10, but if I went again I would do things differently.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the green if you have very young children where a film is played each night fr...
1 Thank Guest6662
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Beautiful grounds and friendly staff await your visit to this resort! There is plenty of room for children to run around and unwind after a busy day at Disney. Transportation to other resorts is easy by boat or bus. My husband wanted to play golf and they arranged shuttle buses for him to courses. Great pool although crowded provides a place to relax or for children's activities. We would stay here again.

1 Thank magoomason
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed here in April 2014 for 5 nights towards the end of a busy 3 weeks in the park and it definitely exceeded our expectations. Beautifully landscaped grounds, lovely relaxing and peaceful feel - just what we needed after a day at the parks, friendly staff and the site is fairly small so a couple of minutes walk gets you right across it to the pool, restaurant, shop, boats to downtown disney etc.

Our room was averagely sized and we quite liked the sinks behind a curtain rather than in the bathroom layout, a new one on us! It looked newly done up, was immaculately clean, beds were comfy and the room was quiet, there was very little noise from either other rooms or from outside (my usual complaint about hotel stays).

The kids loved the pool and slide and the arcade and especially toasting marshmallows on the campfire, a nightly ritual well managed by some lovely staff who were great with the children. There is a nice little hot tub, well stocked shop and playground. Food, as everywhere at disney that I have experienced, was not great quality and overpriced for what it was although we found it better than at the beach club resort where we also ate. Staff were helpful but there is a system of ordering different things from different counters, some of which require a buzzer telling you when it is ready to collect but this resulted in an un relaxing meal time, my own meal going cold while I jumped up and down at different times to collect others. However, we had a car and generally ate out of disney.

Overall, we loved it and I would highly recommend staying here - if you are looking for a laid back feel, beautiful surroundings and some down time after the parks this is it. We visited other disney hotel sites and were so pleased we had chosen this one. If is in my opinion a bit less full on disney than others and has a quieter feel which was perfect for us and if you are looking for the same this is the place to go.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet corner garden view room on the back of other reviews which we got, our room was...
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 29, 2014

So I did my research and thought I was safe! The unfortunate thing is that even checking this site for one of the better rated "moderate" priced Disney resorts left me disappointed and feeling duped. While the appearance of this resort property was nice and calm, the amenities left a lot to be desired. First, our room was a decent size but the lack of storage and places to hang our clothes made it highly impractical. The major no-no was the stained curtain divider and the dirty shelf above the closet area. The unpolished and dusty shelves and tables where we put our things (in order to be organized). The towels smelled like gasoline and I get that they have to bleach them but they are rough and don't make you feel fresh after showering. I am big on clean floors and surfaces. Also, have a strong fear of bedbugs. Thankfully, none were spotted or seemed to present themselves during our 6 night stay. The food options were just ok. Our sister resort which by the way, was way more affordable had wonderful options like make your own pasta and great variety. The Riverside is the way to go for dining at least! Keep in mind it is more populated and wait lines for buses to the parks are going to be long and cramped. Next time I will stay at Riverside to save on expenses because it seemed to trump its over-priced counterpart. Side note: The door man was awesome though!!

Room Tip: Ask for building 4 or 5 because they are close to the bus stop and food court.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Amee78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!