“Very friendly”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #57 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Love this resort. The staff is excellent. Very clean. The bus system was excellent. Was first on the bus and first off. Had their own busses for most of the day. Restuarant was very good. My 7 year old never hada problem finding some thing to eat.
Would defiantly recommend.

2  Thank susiemu
Write a ReviewReviews (5,635)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Upon checking in and getting our room, I began to unpack just to realize that only the beds were made. The bathroom and sinks were still dirty from the prior guests (wet towels, dirty toilet, and dirty sink). Got another room but it was in another building so packed back up, reloaded the car and family, and found the new room. After that, we just wanted a dip in the pool (we has been hyping it up the kids). Got dressed, got floaties and sunscreen on just to arrive to a sign that says "Pool closed for renovations". So we decided to grab a bite to eat and when we went to pay, the cashier says we have no card on file!!! The desk stated they forgot to set a limit. Such a horrible start! Then we had a horrible meal Bongo's whose reservation system was down so we had to wait an additional
45 minutes and was charged $4.00 for the bread we begged for when we finally got sat because the kids were starving! Then Animal Kingdom was beyond capacity and when we asked guest services about it, they said it was due to it being Valentines Day/Presidents Day weekend. It was uncomfortably busy and it caused me to have an anxiety attack because you just couldn't move through crowds.

I was a huge Disney fan, frequenting the resorts about 5 times per year and this was the absolutely worst experience we have ever had!! We spent an a lot of money for a magical family getaway and left there feeling sad, disheartened, disappointed, and taken advantage of. Spending this much money at Disney is kind of expected but there is an expectation of MAGIC in return. That is the complete opposite and we will not be returning again for some time.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Shakira S
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I had to change rooms because people haven't learned to teach themselves and their children to be quiet at certain times. I like staying here and have in the past, but i had to change rooms because of a father and a few kids arrived shortly after us. They were loud inside and outside of their room. I can understand having fun but after 10pm, but this went on all night loooooong.... How hard would it be to remind people when they check in to be respectful to other guests? Or even have security just walk the halls at night? It isn't really that hard to do! For that reason I am giving this place a 2 out of 5....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank coke209
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This resort is small, clean, pretty, and no more or less than what we needed or were expecting. Our room was clean and nicely appointed. What was important to us was to not stay at a hotel that had more than one shuttle stop, because that takes FOREVER if the bus is full and is having to make 10 stops. This one has one at the front of the hotel. The restaurant, or food court, was good. We ate lunch there once and got a couple snacks there. They also have a nice little bar off the lobby that was open late. The staff, as expected, was very friendly and always helpful and willing to answer any questions. They do have a boat shuttle to downtown Disney which we used once - very enjoyable ride.....but we tried to use it on the last day just to go eat lunch Downtown, as we didn't have much time, and we waited for 30 min before we gave up and got a cab instead. If we go back to Disney and don't want to pay for the Contemporary or Grand Floridian, we'd stay at this one for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ajw96
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at every resort on Disney Property. Lately due to financial reasons we have chosen to stay at Moderate Resorts, and POFQ is our resort of choice! The location cant be beat. It is close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the is a boat ride to Downtown Disney.
The resort is a perfect size. All of the rooms are within a 5 minute walk to all of the central areas, like dining, pools, bus stops, and guest services.
The buildings are set up in groups that look like beautiful french quarter dwellings. In each one they have lovely courtyards, with wrought iron benches. We would take our breakfast from the food court here and have a lovely quite al fresco meal.
The rooms are very nice, as nicely decorated as many of the Deluxe resorts. There are 2 queen sized beds, a table and chairs, a nice cherry wood dresser with a flat panel tv, a mini fridge, and a nightstand in between the beds. There is a lovely ceiling fan above the beds, and frosted glass reading lamps. One unique feature in moderate resorts is a privacy curtain dividing the bedroom and the vanity/sink area. This gives people dressing in the bedroon and people in the bath area a level of privacy.
The pool here is wonderful, with the water slide being a sea serpent being ridden by Triton. You actually slide down the serpents tongue! There are cute alligators the double as showers around the pool also.
The river flowing to Port Orleans Riverside and Downtown Disney is lovely. The boat ride is quite relaxing and very romantic.
The food court is very good, and my favorite are the bengiets.
This is my go to resort. I have stayed here 6 times now, and like I stated before it is my top choice in Moderate Resorts. If I didn't want to try new resorts each stay, I would stay here every vacation!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed February 16, 2014

What can I say, it was our first time, the outside of the hotel is so nice, it's reminds me of years pass. The hotel are low level, with all the iron balconies, the cobblestones, it's very nice. At the main entrance, you will be greeted by the Doorman an elderly gentleman who fitted in his role as the official greater, his costume with his hat, oh la-la. True gentlemen. Got to guess services, very friendly and helpful, all smiling, great. Hotel room is just that, two queen beds, separated by a door for the washroom. I must say a little cramp for four adults, Mom, Dad and the girls. I did not mind, nor did anyone else. It's a little of paradise, the memories. We were situated in building 4, ground floor. Close to bus and food court, could not ask for better. I decided that I would go for the Hopper tickets and the dining options. Disney does sell a dream. Do try it, and if you encounter a problem, there is always someone who will help you. We had magic bands, fantastic and fun, not needing $$$ makes it worthwhile, don't forget the memory maker, they take your pictures, you get a special account and you view and download your pictures for a price. Food, it's Disney food, fast food, not really high end gastronomic food but ok. The pool was not open while we resided at the French Quarter, but it's ok, the weather this year is just not cooperating with any country. If you want a vacation, where you do not need to think about money in your pocket and transportation, please do yourself a favor, go and book that magical moment. Well worth it. Have fun.

4  Thank axxiefox
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Overall we had a pleasant stay here; our first time on this WDW property. The renovations done not too long ago seemed nice (compared to some old pics I've seen of this property). We enjoyed the nice 'touches' that were here: music playing outside, well-manicured lawns, music in the lounge, spacious room with lots of neat storage areas (shelves, hooks, etc.)- thanks for that!
The staff were friendly enough, plenty of smiles to go around.
We knew the pool at this resort was closed from the letter we got beforehand about the refurbishment. We took a leisurely, scenic walk to Port Orleans Riverside (and actually a golf cart stopped once asking if we wanted a ride, which we declined). We loved the heated, outdoor pool and had a blast swimming, using the water slide, and plenty of warm towels available.
Food court at both places was decent, of course one being larger than the other based on the size of the resort. Have to try the cupcakes and beignets at French Quarter- tasty!!
Were able to hang around the resort one day to walk the grounds and enjoy the marshmallow roast (thanks, we all loved this!!).

So on the downside- okay, so I know smokers need to smoke....but having the smoking area by the courtyard and fountain- really? I don't know an ideal place, but that doesn't seem like it...ruined a nice sit on the bench by fountain time with the children.
Sheets- weird I read about what other people wrote, and we had the same experiences ripped bedspread? clean, but ripped? Wasn't unsightly and cheaper than replacing, just odd.
Gaps by the door- meaning the door wasn't sealed properly. There is a good 1/4" gap by the door which was letting in cold air on these chilly January nights (30's)...imagine during the spring and summer a nice opening for bugs to come in...yuck, please weatherstrip all your doors more effectively.
Loud noises- We were here at a quieter time of year, and I worry about the noise level during the "in season" at the parks with the folks coming and going. It's not like people were yelling, just talking. Our room was facing a 'street' and we were woken up by people in the morning leaving early for the parks and at night when our children were in bed; not sure of a fix to this, just be forewarned.
Enjoyed the divider curtain (sinks to sleeping area), but hope Disney considers making these wooden or more permanent like I've read about at some other resorts.
Bus Service- I don't think we waited any longer or shorter than we did at other resorts...I HOPE the service would be equal whether you're at a Value, Moderate, or Deluxe resort. Are they?
Last thing- no fitness room? I can get my cardio from walking the parks and grounds, but I miss my weights!! Please consider putting in a small weight room...a little one...tiny?..please!

Here's the thing we stayed here for 6 nights and left feeling really good about the place, therefore definitely a very good rating for us; to get excellent address the cons and it would be.

4  Thank Lovetotravel001_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
1 mi away
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!