“French Quarter - our Disney destination that delivers each time”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #58 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have stayed here the past two trips and loved it. This is a great moderate resort. We previously stayed at Pop Century (small rooms) and Caribbean Beach (nice pool but the place was overwhelmingly huge). We love the ease of getting around the beautiful grounds of French Quarter, the large grassy area with nightly Disney movies, marshmallow roasting at the fire pit at 7:00ish and how easy it is to get from the bus stop to the rooms we stayed in. The pool is nice. Not as new as Caribbean Beach but no biggie. Service is the same across the Disney resorts. French Quarter has a short path to Port Orleans Riverside and you can also take a boat ride to Riverside and also Downtown Disney. It seemed like it was a short bus ride to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. You can't beat Disney transportation and extra magic hours! We will stay here again. Thanks, Disney!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank LoriL3020

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am never one to complain about much and I am an avid, actually a fanatic, Disney fan and advocate but I feel I must relay to the general public my last experience with Port Orleans-French Quarter. I have never stayed at a moderate level hotel in Disney previous to two years agobut my present girlfriend has a Siberian husky that must go with us everywhere so we decided to book at the French Quarter because it is so near the WDW kennel. We stayed here a total of three times in 15 months but the last visit was our last forever. The issue was RATS. I understand any resort no matter where could have this issue and of course they were not in the rooms or any buildings but on the beautifully landscaped property. I was staying with my fiance and her mother and grandmother and I was shocked and they were appalled with dead and dying rats surrounding the lawns and gardens outside our room. We called about the issue twice and no one responded so I went to the front desk to speak with the manager. He honestly looked at me like I was crazy. I explained there was at least five dead or dying rats in close proximity to my guest room door and he stated that the resort does not have a rat problem and this is really strange and unbelievable. He promised to send someone out.
I stood outside my room and waited for someone to come. At least 45 minutes later a maintenance worker came around with a white, plastic 5 gallon bucket and looked around a bit and picked up two dead rats from the walkway and garden. I was intending to direct him to the rest but was in the midst of an important call and did not get his attention. I called back the front desk to tell the manager he missed at least three and he admitted the property had recently placed poison out because some rats were spotted by previous guests. No one ever returned to collect the remaining rat carcasses and incredibly the next morning the maintenance or gardening crew ran them over with lawn mowers and chopped the dead rats in half and left them still. My fiance's grandmother was mortified and was not impressed with WDW on her first ever visit. I collected the dead rat parts myself and placed them in the garbage receptacles with facial tissues instead of gloves. I reported this incident to Disney and have never received any response.
I will admit to returning to Disney three times since but I stayed at the Yacht Club in November 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge in January and February 2013 and in the Polynesian in July 2013. I will forever stick with the deluxe hotels and take longer commutes to visit my family member at the kennel! WDW will always have my vacation dollars but this was a shocker to me and I feel management did not care.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
22  Thank Douglas S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

we stayed at the French quarter for the 5 time this summer back in june of 2013. the rooms were very quiet, clean and good prices for a moderate resort on Disneyworld property. Fast easy check in and bell service.

The grounds are well maintained and very peaceful. While we where there almost every night they had a big movie out in I guess you would call it the courtyard. you could just sit out on the lawn, park benches or even just sit outside a lot of the rooms and enjoy a family movie after you had been out in the parks all day.

There is a nice family pool great for the kids to wear off some extra energy close to you your room with a big dragon water slide and a game room.
The restaurant and gift shop they have there are great and all the people working there are very nice and helpful. The courtesy desk had some great people to answer any questions about The Disneyworld parks, dinning and other attractions that aren't on the Disney property.

We enjoy staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter as the bus stops are only a few mins walk from your room compared to a long walk at some of the other resorts. Plus you can walk past the pool and hop on a river boat and head up to the Riverside resort or a relaxing ride to downtown Disney.

We haven't stayed at any of the other resorts as the Port Orleans French Quarter is great for our whole family and reasonably priced. If you have a chance I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank trfishin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Port Orleans - French Quarter resort at Disney, and we enjoyed it greatly! The resort has a wonderful pool and is very conveniently located a short bus ride from all of the parks. The pool is fantastic,and if you are traveling with small children, there are free life jackets that can be checked out from the gift shop for the length of your stay. We did not have one of the dining plans, but did eat at the counter service restaurant a few times, and the food was decent, and was not outrageously priced (at least not as bad as my husband and I were expecting). The staff was very friendly and the grounds are beautiful! Rooms are typical for a mid-priced hotel, but do include a mini-fridge. Also, if you have a small child, they will provide a Pack and Play or bed rails free of charge, just let them know you need them. There is also a free movie shown on the green every night for the kids. We had a great time during our stay and have already talked about staying again!

3  Thank lishane
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here with family July 5th-13th. Booked direct with Disney and got free Quick Service Dining Plan and a $200 gift card!!!! The hotel overall was brilliant especially for families. Not too big and everything close at hand. Check-in was quick and easy,the receptionist was very helpful and was able to answer the few questions i had with no problems. We were in Block 1 which was no more than a 3 minute walk to the main building and other amenities. The was room which looked like it was recently decorated was more than spacious for 3 adults. Nearly evertime we returned to our room the maid had made Disney figures with the towels!! The food court was excellent for the Dining Plan we were on,plenty of choice and reasonable portions. We didnt have a hired car but at Disney you dont need one. The transport from the hotel to the different parks was spot on. The longest we had to wait was about 10mins and we always got a seat no problem. There was only 1 instant I saw someone standing. The longest journey was about 15-20 mins and that was only due to heavy traffic. We only used the bus once late after the fireworks at Epcot and we got a bus straight away to return to the hotel(with seats once again). If you want to go to Downtown Disney, you can take a pleasant boat journey that takes about 15 mins. A nice change from the buses . We didnt use the pool at the hotel but it was more than adequate for the size of the hotel and it looked very clean. The gift shop sold a small selection of Disney stuff as well as basic groceries(prices bit higher than the norm) . I wouldnt hesitate at staying in this hotel again. Thanks Disney for a great time!!

8  Thank CHRIS L
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I and our 15 year old daughter have just returned from a 10 night stay in this hotel. We are glad that we were in the French Quarter side of the hotel as it is smaller, friendly and easier to get around. The Riverside part of the hotel looks huge and spread out.

French Quarter is a lovely themed hotel with accommodation in blocks set apart within the grounds. There is a lovely swimming pool with enough sun beds (no getting up at dawn to reserve beds) as there always seemed to be beds available. The pool was open to late at night. There is also a river running through the grounds and there is a small river taxi boat which runs regularly to Downtown Disney. There is also a regular bus service provide by Disney to all of the parks and Downtown Disney. We were lucky to have a room just beside the pool and the river taxi.

The rooms are a reasonable size and certainly the 3 of us sharing a room did not feel cramped. Daily maid service was great and the rooms and hotel were always kept clean and inviting,

The Restaurant was more like a cafe and had a good range of fast food type meals on offer, We were on the Quick Serve meal plan and found this of good value as we were even able to use i thin Disney Parks. Staff in the hotel were friendly and welcoming and tried to make sure that queries were answered. The hotel is a good hotel for families and there is entertainment during the day and each evening a film is showing on the grass area.

We would recommend the Port Orleans French Quarter Hotel without hesitation to enjoy the magic of Disney.

2  Thank erarda
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked a package including the Disney Dining quick service plan.
We also had our son stay for 5 nights. The hotel was extremely accommodating and made no additional charge and arranged his check in so that he could arrive on the Disney Express bus. This was really helpful.

The food hall
We used this for breakfast as preferred to eat dinner off site. The dining plan options are a bit complicated with no easy way to see which items are classed as part if the meal or snacks (which are charged differently). It wasn't really a problem for us as we had lots of spare meals and snacks but those wishing to make the most of the dining plan might find they spend more on extra sides/snacks. The food was pretty average. We also visited the Riverside food hall which had a chaotic feel with kids running through constantly. The pasta I ordered was put together with my choice of ingredients, but it was very oily and too salty.
We also ate at the Riverside restaurant (which is not part of the quick service plan). The food was nice but the service was rushed and inattentive.

Location
The grounds were beautiful and calm after a day in the crowded parks. Films were shown nightly outdoors. The pool facilities were excellent with attentive life guards. The walk to riverside was pleasant. The boat to downtown disney was excellent in theory but the thunderstorms meant they would be off for hours at a time.

Room
The room was clean and the maid left nice touches using our daughter's soft toys. The air con was excellent. The shower was not very powerful.

I would recommend French Quarter over what I saw of the Riverside hotel and grounds. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013