“It really is quiet!”

Ranked #64 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Ohio
“It really is quiet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have just returned from a two week trip to Disney World where we stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter. We have previously stayed at all of the other "moderate" resorts except for Coronado Springs. This one is amazingly quiet just like the reviews say. We absolutely loved it! We make a couple of trips to Disney per year (last year we went four times) and the resort we most often stay at is Pop Century which we consider to be the best value on Disney property but it comes with a lot of noise and a good amount of craziness! F. Q. is perfect for light sleepers and people who don't want constant activity going on around them. We truly relaxed (when we wanted to) here.

The rooms are large with queen-sized premium quality beds. There is plenty of storage for unpacking. A coffee pot and refrigerator are included. There are double sinks and a curtained off dressing area. The shower and toilet area are, however, TINY. But we got used to that quickly. The housekeepers do an excellent job also.

The food court is rather small also but diners can also use the tables in the adjoining Scat Cats Club and a good number of tables outside. In two weeks there was never a single time we couldn't find a table but ,like most Disney resorts, it tends to be super packed between 8:00 and 9:30 am when everyone is trying to grab a bite and get to a park.

The buses are fantastic! I always thought that Pop Century had the best bus system on property. The F.Q. rivals if not beats it. Ten minutes is the longest we waited for a bus either going or coming from a park. We had to stand on a bus only once! The bus dispatchers at Disney are nothing short of amazing, keeping buses coming during peak travel periods. We tend to avoid those peak times and had very good luck doing so. Occasionally buses are shared between F.Q. and Riverside but this is not at peak times. . There is a water taxi to Downtown Disney which is fun to do a few times but not if you have a quick ride in mind. The boats start out at Riverside and stop second at French Quarter and they are too frequently full. We waited through two full boats one evening (even the second boat could only take three of the waiting dozen or so people lined up). So just don't depend on it to get you to Downtown Disney for a dinner reservation unless you've allowed an hour and a half or so.

We will definitely stay here again. Riverside is absolutely lovely too and is a short walk along the river. The landscaping is beautiful at both resorts. January is a slower time of year to enjoy this resort. I imagine it is a lot less quiet during the summer months and at Christmas time. For our trip it was nothing short of excellent!

3 Thank Verbelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We moved to this resort from the Pop Century - what a HUGE difference! This is a very nice, low key, quiet resort. Queen beds were great, double sinks were nice too! The pool area had a nice hot tub and bar. There is a boat that will take you either to Riverside or Downtown Disney. We took the boat to Riverside. Riverside was a little more lively than Port Orleans. The walk up restaurant was nicer, had more variety. Also, you can take a horse and carriage ride (I think it was $40) around the resort. We were disappointed that they were booked up and we hadn't made reservations. It looked like a lot of fun! This resort costs about twice as much as the Pop Century but is definitely worth it!

3 Thank pair-of-bears
Zionsville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Disney five times. Twice as a kid and thee times with kids. I don't care for the value resorts. There are too few amenities and they feel out of control with too many people. We tried Riverside last time and were happy. Friends to us that French Quarter is a little better and I would agree. It is a little smaller, a little nicer in the rooms and seems more calm and quiet. The food court is just ok. I'd only eat there if I needed to. Not bad, but not good. The bus system is better, as there is only one stop, compared to Riverside's four. That makes a difference if you are stuck standing at the end of an exhausting day in the park. You can't go wrong with French Quarter, if you are wanting a reasonably priced stay at Disney. If you have the means, stay at the resorts on the monorail. Polynesian is my favorite.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank hotmoltenlava
Tracys Landing, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had what was considered a "really nice room" by the staff. The room, with a king sized bed, was spacious. It was a corner room with a "river view". The view WAS nice. The room was quiet until I started hearing toilets flushing in the AM. There was nothing particularly special about the room though. It was nice and clean. Flat screen HD tv and internet acess.

Other than the room itself -- The grounds are wonderful since this IS a Disney property. Unfortunately it only has a food court available for breakfast and lunch. We actually went to the Riverside for both since they are bigger and only a short walk away. I LOVE a nice breakfast while on vacation though and this just doesn't do it.

Also, my husband and I wanted a "night cap" after returning from the parks. The bar at this hotel is really pathetic. The bartender was pretty rude. He'd have flunked Cast Member school if anyone was watching. There was some live entertainment going on which was too loud and not very good. But that's my opinion because there were lots of "retiree" aged customers in attendance who seemed to be really enjoyoing the show.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dgb-vienna
Uniontown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I just returned from a trip to Disney World Jan 27 to Feb 1. This is my 5th trip staying on Disney property. Starting with a value resort, the Carribean Beach (2x) the Yacht Club and originally this trip, Port Orleans Riverside.(1night) My 4yr old Grandaughter and I arrived 1 day earlier than the Grandma/Grandaughter that we were meeting to vacation. When making reservations for Port Orleans Riverside both parties specified that we would like to be in either adjoining rooms or next to one another. We were traveling from opposite sides of the country to vacation together. The day I arrived, I was told that she would be in a different building and that we had different room choices. I had garden and she had preferred. Neither of us were told this at reservation time. My grandaughter and I went on to the Park and when returning to the resort it was dark outside as we followed the path back to the Alligator Bayou. This was the first time I have been "uneasy" on Disney property. I had spoken to someone in operations when arriving about a room change and was told that they were 100% booked. Later, when I spoke to operations again, I found someone who was willing to help. I was asked if I would like to move to Port Orleans French Quarter and have adjoining rooms with the other members of the family. This move was one of the best choices I have made in a long time. The French Quarter had a much more secure feeling and the atmosphere was cozy, fun and friendly.The staff was helpful and friendly. Everything was convenient, the bus service was very good (least crowded buses I have had) the food court was good even though they did not have a sit down restaurant. We generally eat dinner at a restaurant in the park. My Grandaughter and Niece had lots of fun in the pool. The Mardi-Gra theme extends from the lobby to the walkways to the pool area. Of all of the resorts I have stayed, this is my favorite. I will definately stay here again and again!

5 Thank JWfromPA
long island ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

stayed from october 14-20.. we had a riverview room, and while the view was nice.. you only had the view when you were out on the walkway... so it was not worth the money to me... the resort was small.. which i found was a nice change from all the walking in the parks.. the grounds were clean and well kept.. and the pool was a nice place to unwind after running around all day.. the restauraunt was better than i expected also.. and all the employees were friendly and helpful... plus the riverboat to downtown disney is much better than any of the busrides... i would reccomend this resort to anyone considering a moderate resort... although the bus service left alot to be desired..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank urhair
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had nice, clean comfortable beds to sleep in after a busy day in the park. Location was close to places to eat and shop. I felt safe and loved how quite it was. The rooms were spacious and conveniently located.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Chanzmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!