“Enjoyable short stay”

Ranked #65 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Glastonbury, CT
“Enjoyable short stay”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My two sisters and I stayed 3 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter last week. This was my 23rd trip to Disney World, with my previous 4 visits being at Pop Century. At first I missed the whimsy of Pop, but then realized that I was enjoying the more grown-up atmosphere of POFQ. And Disney captures the essence of New Orleans quite well with this property. My sisters also enjoyed the change of pace of staying at POFQ (they also have previously stayed at Pop, which was 7 years ago for both of them).

We also had none of the cleanliness issues that other reviewers have mentioned. Everything was spic and span. All of us also slept well, finding the beds and pillows very comfortable. They actually used the type of pillows I have at home, not those mushy, sandbag-type ones. And one day I left a note for the housekeeper to bring us 3 extra pillows. When we returned to the room after our day in one of the parks, there were the pillows I requested. In short, the room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

The reason I chose POFQ this time was two-fold. First, the week we were visiting, Disney was offering their meal plan for free! But to get the meal plan that included table service meals, the hotel had to at least be one of Disney's "Moderate" properties (which are both Port Orleans resorts, Caribbean Beach Resort, and Coronado Springs). If I had chosen to stay at Pop Century or any of the other "Value" resorts (the 3 All-Star resorts and the new Art of Animation Resort), the free meal plan would have only had quick-service meals, no table service ones.
And the second reason I chose POFQ was for the two queen-size beds in the room. All the other "Moderate" resorts have double beds. With two of us having to share a bed, it was nice to have a queen vs. a double.

While this has no bearing on the hotel at all, I do want to say that it was beyond great having the meal plan for free! There is a lot of food and it was all very good. And if you're more health conscious (like we are), it is definitely possible to find healthier options....but beware the desserts (a dessert is included with all lunches and dinners, regardless of it being a quick-service or a table service meal), they were truly delicious (we stopped finishing our desserts because we didn't want all that decadence at every meal, tempting as they were).

And while the weather was so-so (some rain and downpours, but not vacation-ruining), this was a very good week to come to "see the World". It wasn't very crowded and wait times for most rides/attractions (with a few exceptions) were under 20 minutes.

It seems that most visitors to WDW utilize Disney's transportation system. With the exception of having to use a Monorail or the Ferryboat to actually enter the main gate of the Magic Kingdom, we had a car rental to get around (advance reservation made with pick-up and drop-off at airport location). I've never not had one and have been lucky enough to be able to get a good rate that makes it possible to have a car rental. I just like to be able to come and go as I please and not have to wait for a bus to take me somewhere. However, that being said, I can fully understand and appreciate why most people opt for Disney's transportation. Even with all my visits, I occasionally take a wrong turn (though always quickly rectify my mistake).

In closing, I definitely recommend POFQ and visiting Disney during the one week a year when they have the complimentary meal plan offer (which is also a less crowded time to visit).

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings 4 and 5 (we were in bldg 4, room 4337 that had 2 queen beds) are close to all hot...
4 Thank CNorm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Olive Branch, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our 6th trip, and 3rd time staying on property at Walt Disney World. Our two previous stays were at Pop Century. All I can say is wow! This place was amazing. Normally we would stay away from the moderates/deluxes because we were always trying to save money, but switching from Pop to POFQ was only about $130 total more, so it was very much worth it. We were placed in building #7, which was towards the end, and close to the river. We had a slight view of the river from our window, which was cool. There are quite a few things to do at the resort, such as pool activities, movies at night, horse drawn carriage and the boat to Downtown Disney, which we used. We loved the resort mugs and everything so pretty. It's very doubtful that we'll be going back to the Value resorts after staying here. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort. The 1 and only disappointment is that I was hoping for a "magical" upgrade to a river view room, since it was our anniversary. There were a slew of open rooms throughout the resort, especially in buildings 6 & 7, with about 90% of those buildings being empty. It didn't happen but it was just a wish. We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: Every room is a good one!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Dave B
Lincolnwood, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a relatively quiet and comfortable Disney resort with a good location just a short boat ride from Disney Marketplace. It is nicely themed with clever street names (like Rue D'Baga) and Mardi Gras references. Perhaps best suited for adults without children since it is the most un-Disney of the Disney hotels. All the usual amenities. We've stayed at many Disney resorts and this is the nicest in its price category (although Caribbean Beach comes close).

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank shackelton
Connecticut
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a suggestion from a friend, what a great place to stay! The resort is not very big, unlike the Riverside part of Port Orleans.
We were directly across from the pool in building 5. The room was very comfortable for the three of us. Any more and it would be tight. The only compliant about the room is the toliet! It's jet powered! The housekeeper was great. We got fun towel animals :)
The buses were quick and not too far of a walk!
All in all a great moderate hotel at Disney!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Lovethewhites
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was our second visit to the French Quarter in 2 years. As usual we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Service was great, staff was great, overall atmosphere was great.
We only had 2 minor complaints, bus service to and from the Magic Kingdom was a little disappointing, very long waits both directions. Second complaint was the television reception.

I will highly recommend this resort to anyone I know going to Walt Disney World.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are the most peaceful.
3 Thank bittenbytravelbug10
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed here with our daughter and three grandchildren and it was excellent. Room service was superb. Food court was a so-so cafeteria style experience with very bland choices. However, we ate most of our lunches and dinners at the parks. Even though we drove here, we took the buses almost everywhere. They were convenient enough but sometimes the waits were long.

There is a boat ride to downtown Disney which is fun and free, However, the boats, which are metal, do not run when there is lightning for obvious reasons. We were disappointed in downtown Disney because it's mostly shopping and there are a lot of overpriced restaurants, some of which are available elsewhere. We were on the meal plan and ate at the House of Blues. Great atmosphere, not so great food, and performers are only there on weekends. This was our first trip to Disney World and, all in all, it was a great time. Probably the most important thing we discovered was the importance of getting a Fast Pass to the key rides. Everyone lines up to go on the most exciting rides first thing in the day. Thus, we found that, following lunch, many rides have much shorter queues. Most enjoyable ride -- Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom; most disappointing ride --- Finding Nemo at Epcot.

Room Tip: We had a river view but never really sat and looked at the river. Plus, there is constant gardening...
5 Thank jnjreeves
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 18nghts in this resort and found it to be clean, convenient and friendly.
Our room was a lovely corner room in block 6 over looking the river. Spacious and cleaned everyday although some days a little less thoroughly than others there was never cause to complained.
Food was pretty standard fast food and if you stroll to riverside there's much more choice for ddp customers. I would recommend those on the ddp use snack credits for breakfast at the hotel as choice was limited and not particularly worth a full meal credit.
Concierge staff and maintainance staff are second to non and will always help. Some staff in the food hall could do with an injection of personality,however overall a very good experience and would visit again!

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Marley196
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!