“Disney French Quarter Port Orleans is Tres Bon”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #58 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed here with our daughter and three grandchildren and it was excellent. Room service was superb. Food court was a so-so cafeteria style experience with very bland choices. However, we ate most of our lunches and dinners at the parks. Even though we drove here, we took the buses almost everywhere. They were convenient enough but sometimes the waits were long.

There is a boat ride to downtown Disney which is fun and free, However, the boats, which are metal, do not run when there is lightning for obvious reasons. We were disappointed in downtown Disney because it's mostly shopping and there are a lot of overpriced restaurants, some of which are available elsewhere. We were on the meal plan and ate at the House of Blues. Great atmosphere, not so great food, and performers are only there on weekends. This was our first trip to Disney World and, all in all, it was a great time. Probably the most important thing we discovered was the importance of getting a Fast Pass to the key rides. Everyone lines up to go on the most exciting rides first thing in the day. Thus, we found that, following lunch, many rides have much shorter queues. Most enjoyable ride -- Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom; most disappointing ride --- Finding Nemo at Epcot.

Room Tip: We had a river view but never really sat and looked at the river. Plus, there is constant gardening...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank jnjreeves
There are newer reviews for Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 18nghts in this resort and found it to be clean, convenient and friendly.
Our room was a lovely corner room in block 6 over looking the river. Spacious and cleaned everyday although some days a little less thoroughly than others there was never cause to complained.
Food was pretty standard fast food and if you stroll to riverside there's much more choice for ddp customers. I would recommend those on the ddp use snack credits for breakfast at the hotel as choice was limited and not particularly worth a full meal credit.
Concierge staff and maintainance staff are second to non and will always help. Some staff in the food hall could do with an injection of personality,however overall a very good experience and would visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Marley196
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We recently returned from our Disney Vacation! This was our first time staying at French Quarter, but we loved it. Staff was super friendly, especially Shawn and Jessica who worked the recreation program. Our daughter had a fantastic time! The room was clean and our housekeeper was terrific. We've stayed at Riverside in the past, but I definitely prefer the smaller layout of French Quarter. First to be picked up by the buses may have meant a few more minutes on our commute in the morning, but we got dropped off first at night! We will definitely consider French Quarter for our future Disney Vacations!

2  Thank KorenFamily
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Great place to stay while visiting Disneyworld. Great access with Disney buses and if course boats to downtown Disney. Staff really friendly and efficient. Onside food court type restaurant is fine but we ate most meals at other Disney hotels as there are some amazing choices. We arrived back in time to watch outdoor movie a couple of nights and that was a high light.

Rooms are fine, clean and well equipped although a little on the small side. Pool area is lovely, onsite laundry facilities excellent.

• Stayed: May 2012
7  Thank tgagirl
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was a nice quiet resort and not crowded. The grounds are cute. One shuttle stop. I walked over to Riverside...It was so crowded at one point I thought I was walking on Main St. at Magic Kingdom. I had to get out of there. I did notice that Riverside also had 3-4 shuttle stops...buildings are very spread out, whereas, French Quarter everything is right there.
Had a problem with cleanliness though..found hair in the Blanket..ICK! and the refrigerator did not work. It was too late to call, so I just tore the blanket off the bed. In the morning, I reported to the front desk as we were leaving for the day. The lady did not even write it down...she kept asking which room. One worker was handing out beads and she kept telling the other the room. I was told that the refrigerator is not really a refrigerator, but a Cooler? I said, well if it's a cooler we should be able to put Ice in it...seems the condenser is broken and everything is Warm. She said both would be replaced by the time we got back. As we walked out, I watched to see if they were going to call housekeeping...Nope. When we came back, I pulled the bedspread down and sure enough...same hairs and black mark and the refrigerator was still warm. Called Housekeeping, they said no one told them...they came and stripped both beds and replaced the refrigerator. We had one more problem, one sink kept backing up...called and they fixed that morning.
Service in general is 50/50...depends on Who you get. One consignor would call to schedule for our shuttle (mears) ride to Universal...since I did not know which day, I told him..I would come back. He gave me their number. He said, I could call if I wanted later or just come down again. The next day coming back from one of the parks, I decided which date and went to the consigner desk...that lady gave me the number...Told me that I Had to Make my own arrangements, because Universal was not part of Disney...she did mention to make sure to go early..even though it's only 15 miles it could take up to 1 hr to get there, since the shuttle stops at other hotels. I could swear I am over hearing the guest two down are scheduling their shuttle???? I tried hanging around to over hear better, but it was kind of obvious so didn't stay too long. We ended up just taking a cab that morning...I did call Mears, but they came at 7:45am and every hour after...and you also had to tell them What time you wanted to get picked up at...I didn't want that restriction, so we took a cab...probably paid about 10 extra each way, but since we said and had dinner the Universal Walk and we didn't stress about what time to get to the stand, it was worth it.
The bar closes at 11:30...which you are usually back after that...The food area closes at midnight...we got in one night early enough to get the drink refill...but the coke syrup was out...I told one worker..He was Really Grumpy...asked what? What's the problem? I told him, he said what what about it? I said only soda water comes out...it's clear...He was OH!!..O.k....then like a light switch...Well, that's just going ot have to wait..me and another guest looked at eachother...Like O.K...doesn't seem like a happy guy.
On morning, just missed the breakfast...they were just switching to lunch and pulling the breakfast food out. I went to the counter..asked if I could get a breakfast sandwich..the lady was...let me see...she checked around and said, yes..I'll make if for you...She was a manager of some sort...she didn't have to do that, she could of had one of the workers make it..She handed it to me and said something like...there you go the last of the morning w/a smile. Now that was Disney Service
Rooms were quiet. with the exception of the ceiling fan squeek...had to turn it off..but did not hear neighbors or people walking around.
The Water Shuttle to Downtown Disney is on site.

Room Tip: Vending machines did not take bills...they say they do, but we only use coins. Also invest in the...
2  Thank SFBayAreaFamily
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've stayed at all of the moderate-priced resorts at Disney and this is my favorite. It is much smaller than Coronado Springs or Port Orleans Riverside, which means a less than 5 minute walk anywhere you want to go. There are movies on the lawn, nice places to stroll, and a food court that is open to 11 pm. But you also have the Disney amenities - free non-alcoholic drinks, bus service anywhere you want to go, a ride to and from the airport. Well worth the money and very pleasant trip.

Room Tip: The gardens are actually pretty, so choose a garden view or river view room.
4  Thank Adventure_Addict_NC
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The room was spotless, the beds and pillows were so comfortable. The resort was quiet and everything was just a short walk away. The onsite cafeteria food was limited but the quality was excellent. We were close to the buses and the water transportation. Everyday when we returned from the parks, we were excited to see what surprise towel animal would be left in our room. Cannot say enough about how excellent this vacation was. Would definitely highly recommend this resort and would come again. This was a 1st visit for my daughter (28) and myself. What a great trip. Can hardly wait to come back.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor, facing the garden area and had quick access to going everywhere.
4  Thank Audrey H