“Great Disney Hotel without "Disney Size"”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Disney Hotel without "Disney Size"”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) provides a wonderful Disney resort experience without hoards of people. A moderate resort, POFQ has everything you need and a fun theme. We stayed in a king size room- which I think is a little bigger than the double rooms and we had plenty of space. All of the POFQ ROOMS were recently renovated so they don't feel old/dingy. The bathroom area is really spacious. The double vanities and closet area are partitioned from your room with a curtain and the shower/toilet are in a separate room. Our room was cleaned everyday and little towel animals were left behind- very cute! We stayed in Building 1 which is the "farthest" building from the center lobby/pool/food court. It took us 5 minutes to walk to there. We had a beautiful courtyard view from our room and our resort was so peaceful and quiet (even during spring break dates). The jazz lounge and bar were great and there was a jazz muscian who played til midnight Thurs-Sun. Prices at both the food court and bar were very reasonable. The buses ran frequently and the boat to Downtown Disney was a big plus. Overall, we were not disappointed and were extremely happy with our stay at the POFQ! I definitely recommend it to families and couples.

• Stayed March 2012
10 Thank Betsy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Racine, WI
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Just returned from our 3/7/12-3/12/12 visit and we were so impressed with the POFQ. I've never stayed at a moderate resort - usually stay at the Value level - but this was so worth the couple hundred bucks extra. We had 3 adults and 1 child (3years old). We had a car so I can't comment on the Magic Express or park buses. But overall we loved this hotel. Maybe not the best choice for those looking to be totally immersed in all things Disney - but a nice little retreat after being at the parks all day.

Room: 2 queen beds, large bathroom. I didn't find the beds to be uncomfortable but my husband said his back hurt by the last night. The housekeeping left cute towel animals each day, arranged my daughters toys on teh ledge and in her pack n play - which totally made her day. Room was clean, decor was nice. Really appreciated the 2 queen beds - one of the main reasons we chose this hotel in teh first place. We had frieds staying at AKL and I think our room was actually bigger and nicer than theirs (alhtough I'll admit the pool at AKL won by a longshot). We also really likd the big bathroom and the privacy curtain - especially since my husband and I were staying with my mom.

Pool: Good size, welll kept. We mainly stayed at the toddler pool - which my daughter loved. No problems getting a table, towels, etc. She also really liked the little playground right next to the pool. Every day they had a couple staff members organizing games and things for the kids - trying to get people to participate.

Hotel: We were in building 7 - which was maybe a 3 minute walk from the lobby and pool area. The grounds are beautiful - we walked along the river and watched the boats. The landscaping and little fountains around the grounds were beautiful. Everything seemed clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly whenever I called or asked for something. We espeically liked the size of the grounds - everything was close together. We took a drive through the Riverside area and was amazed at how big it was - totally different atmosphere that the FQ.

Food: We ate several meals in the food court and was pleasantly surprised. This was the area I had the lowest expectations for but we actually thought the food was pretty good. It was busy during breakfast rush but at dinner time it was pretty calm. They had a little TV showing cartoons and a coloring area for kids. I had quesadillas - which were great - and my husband had chicken and ribs whcih he alos really liked. The breakfast food was good too - waffles, etc. Serving sizes were huge - espeically on hte dining plan where you got desert and a side with every meal.

Room Tip: Building 7 is quiet but the farthest from the pool.
7 Thank renauerc
London
Reviewed March 21, 2012

First, French Quarter really is one of the most beautiful of the Disney resorts. Small in comparision to most of its neighbours and right on the river, its quaint and charming. None of the rooms are far from the bus stop, and the riverboat down to Down Town Disney is lovely, the sound of the boats going by soothing. Really, its a lovely spot to enjoy a little R&R between trips to the parks.

I stayed in a riverview room in building 2, and I would heartily recommend going the riverview route. Waking up and looking out straight onto the river is just lovely, we took our coffee out onto the walkway both mornings to enjoy the peace and quiet and the restful morning river.

The rooms themselves are great, good proportions, comfy beds and very nicely themed. Unlike a few reviewers, I had no issues with the pillows - I found them to be comfortable and aided in my 2 very good nights sleep.

The pool is also fantastic. not too big, but not so small that I felt crowded, or as 2 adults enjoying the pool we didn't feel that we were encroaching on the kiddy pool. The lifeguards were attentive and alert.

What I did have an issue with regarding this resort, and is the reason I will be thinking long and hard before I return, was the service given by the staff. Check in was long, rude and unhelpful. We later found out that we had not been checked into the magical express for our return journey, the staff were again rude and unhelpful, just giving me a number to call to rearrange. Of course, that still did not work and we had to spend half an hour with guest services the next morning to get it fixed, missing rope drop at my favourite park and a bad taste in my mouth on my last day at Disney.

Bell services however were consistently great - beyond helpful and just lovely.

Rude and unhelpful is not something I have come to expect, so this stay with Disney was tinged with disappointment. I loved the surroundings however, so if I stay there again I will know to expect very little in the way of good service and remember to double check any information that I am offered by the staff well in advance.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank DKirsty
Toronto
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the resort during the March break from school. Although I really like the idea of the Disney Resort, it did not deliver on all levels. For starters, the free express bus from the airport was disorganized. When we got the bus, with the vouchers we had pre-printed, we were sent back to the desk where they told us to do the same thing we had already done! We received an apology and fortunately did not miss the bus.

Check in was great and the room was pleasant. I did notice, however, that the shower was not as clean as it could be as there were hairs on the far shower wall. The staff were very nice and there was a lot of food in the restaurant. Granted most of it was not very healthy. Beignets were good and I recommend them. We usually had the children's meals as they were generous portions and had a side option of grapes.

Having said all of that, I really liked the bus to the parks because we avoided the lines. The beds were comfortable and the pool looked really impressive. I would go back to a Disney resort, but not that one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mzsunnyblonde
Alburnett, Iowa
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and now will never stay anywhere except the French Quarter. The grounds were smaller so it was easier to get to the main office, food, bus service, and your room. The room was exceptionally clean and very comfortable. The pool is large and the hot tub is away from the pool so adults can have quiet time! Excellent hotel!

7 Thank sne1516
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I've stayed at a number of Disney resorts and, without fail, I've had great experiences. Port Orleans - French Quarter provided much of the same, but with an environment that stood out amongst all of the other resorts I've vacationed at. The grounds are kept up perfectly, with everything being absolutely beautiful. The nightly campfire/marshmallow roasting and movies in the park were PERFECT for the kids. The hotel rooms were very clean and comfortable. The beds were great, with the only major complaint being the pillow that I found to be uncomfortable. Though, I'd imagine that'd be a personal preference. All experiences with the staff were very pleasant, especially with their front-desk and their airline check-in staff. The buses were as good as any of the other parks . . . Being that it was the busy season, we expected some delays. The food court was very nice and appeared to be very clean. The food was surprisingly good for having been "Disney Food." Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend Port Orleans-French Quarter.

Also, the other family we traveled with stayed at Port Orleans-Riverside. The walk between the two hotels is not only fairly short, but BEAUTIFUL. I loved walking between the two. Between the two hotels, however, I'd probably pick the French Quarter only due to size. Riverside was beautiful, but was for more crowded.

10 Thank Justin H
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed here January 2012. Disappointed with the Restaurant at this property. We enjoy a sit down breakfast, lunch and dinner. You will have to go elsewhere if you want this. They only have the self serve fast food entrees. I was surprised that the Pizza booth only offered two kinds of Pizza, ham and pineapple or pepperoni! The place was always busy so the food couldn't have been that bad. The room was nice. Very similar to the rooms at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We have also stayed there too (2009) and I did prefer their Self Serve restaurants and it's sit down restaurant. If I were to choose, I would suggest the Caribbean Beach Resort, Aruba. Why, because it has the better fast food booths and the sit down restaurant was very good! The Pools in both resorts are nice and both are close to Downtown Disney but the French Quarter also has the ferry which takes 15 minutes. Hope this helps some people out. I also suggest you go for the dining plan. We have had the regular one once when we stayed at the Animal Kingdom and the Deluxe for both the Caribbean Beach and French Quarter. We prefer the Deluxe. You can eat at all the really good places with this plan! This year they included all the restaurants in all of Disney World! You can't beat that!

Room Tip: At the French Quarter we stayed Building 6 River View
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Gamblers50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!