“Pool - shade and movies just steps from the bus stop!”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #65 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Pool - shade and movies just steps from the bus stop!”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I loved this resort!! We stayed in a corner King room in building #4 and were literally just steps from the bus stop, the food court, pool and the lovely green space where they showed movies under the stars each night. You would think it would have been loud this close to the action - but it was actually very quiet. The room was larger than I expected, exceptionally clean, and although the bed was just comforable (not like sleeping on a cloud like you sometimes find in deluxe hotels) after walking the parks and swimming in the great dragon pool all day - we hardly cared. The bar was great, the property for evening strolls was beautiful too - my ONLY real "meh" of this review is the food court - if good dining is your thing (as it is ours) then plan to always eat elsewhere - there are so many amazing restaurants at Disney - don't waste your appetite on a food court. Plan to sometimes make extra stops at the time-share properties along your way to the parks during peak times, and you will love this place too!

Room Tip: Ask for Building #4 on the side away from the food court
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LianaBeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 14, 2012

The resort itself is perfectly themed. I loved taking a long walk at night along the river bank in the evening. It was a very peaceful resort, so it was ideal for a solo traveler or would also be quite romantic for a couple. The room was very beautiful and detailed, there was a piece of art that was actually an invitation to a ball from the late 19th century. The lobby itself and food court were very nice! There was work being done on a portion of the lobby but what was still open was very grand, I loved the glass ceilings and the murals done behind the check-in counters were also very beautiful.

Wifi was stop and go even though I was right next to the lobby, but it was free and for as much as I used it it was fine. I had a king room and I found the bed to be a bit hard, but if you like that then wonderful. We were a bit far out from MK, but we were very close to EPCOT and Downtown Disney.

The bathroom was very large, the slate on the flooring was very nice, it wasn't ever too cold in the morning. The cubby holes next to the shower were very convenient!

Overall I'm obviously very happy with the resort. I never encountered an unfriendly cast member and the theming of the resort is beautiful. I would certainly return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank tellemarie
Plano
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We love French Quarter. I've stayed in The Contemporary, and yes it is very nice and wonderful too but I'd prefer French Quarter, especially with kids. French Quarter has a great, fun atmosphere! The pool with a slide was a lot of fun, we made use of the playground at night. The food court was never over crowded, good food choices. I love that the resort is so small!!! From any room, it's a short walk to the bus, to the pool, to the food court, that was a big plus with a 3 year old! We can also use Riverside's pool, which was also really nice, beautiful landscape! There's a boat you can take to Downtown Disney, that was a lot of fun for the kids and a nice change! We had no trouble with the bus system. Never had trouble getting on and never had a long wait! Staff was wonderful, rooms are spotless. The rooms are decorated cute with little hidden Mickey's in the bedspread, etc. Loved that! We got towel animals twice out of our 6 days stay. We would love to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank planomom8801
Narragansett, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This is one of the best resorts in Disney World! We have stayed at The Contemporary, The. Polynesian, The Grand Floridian and all of the other Moderate Resorts. Of the Moderate Resorts, this is the winner. The atmosphere, convenience of a smaller resort especially added to a pleasant stay. The pool complex was fabulous! The 'cast' was great. The food court
was good. We will probably choose to stay here again next year! That is highly unusual, but everyone loved it (11 and 13 year old), son and daughter in law, as well as us (actively mature people)!

• Stayed February 2012
9 Thank michelewave04
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I just got back from a Disney Trip. It was March 4th - March 12th. It was my first moderate disney stay after reading all great reviews on Port Orleans French Quarters. I dont know if it was because I usually stay in a Deluxe, The Wilderness Lodge but the trip was horrible. The Room and the grounds are great. Pool is Great. The resort had even less people than I thought they would. Really easy to get around and get food. The bad was magical express came 7 hours after my flight and my kids bed time things were in there. We had to wait for the luggage. They appoligized and said this never happens. OK. THe buses to every park was horrendous. I have taken buses hundreds of times. These were the slowest I had ever taken. Im talking an hour and a half from downtown disney back to French Quarters. Thats after we waited a half an hour in the rain for the bus. Everyone was pissed. I waited over an hour at French Quarters to go to Magic Kingdom. I complaned 3 times and got a free taxi ride there. I waited for the taxi and the bus STILL DIDN'T COME. There were about 10 other times waiting for the bus. I'm tired from this and going to sleep now. I guess people are used to slow transportation but that never happens at Wilderness Lodge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank charles w
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Look no further! I spent such a long time trying to decide where to stay on Disney. I finally decided on French Quarter because of all the great reviews that I read. We stayed for 7 nights the first week of March and fell in love with the resort. The kids loved the pool area and the poolside games everyday. I was so impressed by how thorough the lifeguards were. The foodcourt was awesome, the rooms were clean and quiet (we were in Bldg. 5), the grounds were beautiful...what more can I say. The singer in the Scat Cat Lounge was so entertaining. The bus service was great-never really had to wait long. The boatride to downtown Disney was relaxing and the walk along thr riverside to Riverside was so peaceful. This resort is so cozy. I found some of the other resorts to be too big and lots of walking to get to everything. French Quarter also has a nice gift shop and arcade. We will definitely stay at this resort if we ever return to Disney. Loved everything about it!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Shari B
Nova Scotia
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter for five nights in February. The resort was beautiful and so were the grounds, everything was spotless and very clean!! The resort is on the smaller side which is great because everything is close by no matter what building your in.

We stayed in Building 5 which was directly beside the pool area and about a two minute walk to the lobby/food court and shops. Our room was lovely with two queen beds and was very clean with a great view of the pool.

We loved the boat launch which we took a few times to go have dinner downtown. There is also a great walking path along the river which takes you over the the riverside resort.

The pool area was great and open late! The hot tub was nice but was pretty much impossible to get into as there is only one and it was always jammed with teenagers! There was also a bar by the pool but the server was quite rude. This was surprising for Disney!

There is no sit down restaurant at the resort but there is plenty to satisfy anyone in the food court. There is also a little bar in the lobby area which provided live entertainment a few night a week.

Overall we would very much recommend the resort!!

Room Tip: Building 5 is located directly beside the pool area and only a two minute walk to the lobby/ food co...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CharliesNovaScotia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!