I must have stayed at a different resort than the preceding reviewers! We were at POFQ from Sept. 4-9. Check in was quick and efficient. We had requested a river view when we made our reservation and wish was granted. Great view in building 2, fronting the river. The room was a bit nicer and roomier than we expected. I had done a lot of research and looked at lots of photos. The room looked better than it appeared in those pictures. Beds were extremely comfortable. Furniture was substantial with plenty of drawers for our family of 2 adults and one child. I thought the fridge wasn’t cool enough at first but it turned out to be fine. The bathroom looked just like the photos…no surprises there and it worked out fine for us. Other than the ubiquitous little sign that’s in every hotel nowadays to consider reusing towels, we felt no pressure to oblige and received fresh towels everyday.
The grounds are just lovely and far exceeded just about anything I’ve ever seen at any typical hotel, upscale or not. The pool was fantastic with plenty of chairs and very attentive lifeguards, much appreciated as we had a small child with us.
The food court is perhaps a bit small, especially at peak times. But the food was good and the service for the most part friendly and efficient. We mainly used the food court for a quick breakfast or lunch by the pool. Some of the staff were very sweet to my son, giving him Mardi Gras coins and playfully talking and joking with him. As we had the free dining plan, were well informed about the need for reservations and enjoyed wonderful meals at Wolfgang Puck, Crystal Palace, Coral Reef, Mama Melrose and Spoodles. Plus, we always follow Calvin Trillin’s advice of never eating at the hotel!
We were very impressed with the bus and boat transportation. The buses and pickup points at the resort and the parks are clearly marked with their destinations so getting around was a breeze. Most drivers were very friendly, greeting us as we boarded and wishing us a good day at our destination. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus anywhere.
I might have been less pleased if we’d stayed at Riverside, though. Some of the stops seemed remote and on one occasion the driver on our MGM-bound bus had to contact dispatch as some Riverside folks had been waiting a long time for an Epcot bus. I did notice that if the bus filled at POFQ, the driver would skip or only make one stop at Riverside, so I would think that would add to the wait. Again, we had done a good bit of research and this was one of the factors in choosing French Quarter. A minor gripe was the number of people with those massive strollers! I understand the need for strollers but some of these poor parents looked about ready to pop a blood vessel folding and trying to get these SUV-sized strollers on the bus. Not to mention having them bang into everyone. I fondly remembered the wonderfully compact, easy-to-fold MacLaren umbrella-style stroller we had a few years back!
This was a great time to go to Disney as the crowds were low everywhere but the restaurants! It really paid to do a lot of research and planning. I found a ton of information online that helped us enhance the experience and have realistic expectations that were, in every case, exceeded.
As a deluxe resort would have cost us about $1,000 more, I can’t imagine how it could be $1,000 better! We loved the French Quarter and look forward to returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Revel in the romance and pageantry of New Orleans's historic French Quarter at this Resort hotel, where cobblestone streets, gas lamps, wrought-iron balconies and fragrant magnolia blossoms evoke the Antebellum era and colorful Mardi Gras characters and jazz keep things lively. Then stroll along the Sassagoula River to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside, home to Cajun and Creole specialties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsClick, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Port Orleans Resort
- Port Orleans French Quarter
- Port Orleans Orlando
- Disney Port Orleans French Quarter
- Disney Port Orleans Hotel
- Disneys Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
- Port Orleans Disney
- Disneys Port Orleans Hotel