“Terrific Resort for a Wonderful First-time Disney Vacation!”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Ranked #64 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Raleigh, NC
“Terrific Resort for a Wonderful First-time Disney Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

I must have stayed at a different resort than the preceding reviewers! We were at POFQ from Sept. 4-9. Check in was quick and efficient. We had requested a river view when we made our reservation and wish was granted. Great view in building 2, fronting the river. The room was a bit nicer and roomier than we expected. I had done a lot of research and looked at lots of photos. The room looked better than it appeared in those pictures. Beds were extremely comfortable. Furniture was substantial with plenty of drawers for our family of 2 adults and one child. I thought the fridge wasn’t cool enough at first but it turned out to be fine. The bathroom looked just like the photos…no surprises there and it worked out fine for us. Other than the ubiquitous little sign that’s in every hotel nowadays to consider reusing towels, we felt no pressure to oblige and received fresh towels everyday.

The grounds are just lovely and far exceeded just about anything I’ve ever seen at any typical hotel, upscale or not. The pool was fantastic with plenty of chairs and very attentive lifeguards, much appreciated as we had a small child with us.

The food court is perhaps a bit small, especially at peak times. But the food was good and the service for the most part friendly and efficient. We mainly used the food court for a quick breakfast or lunch by the pool. Some of the staff were very sweet to my son, giving him Mardi Gras coins and playfully talking and joking with him. As we had the free dining plan, were well informed about the need for reservations and enjoyed wonderful meals at Wolfgang Puck, Crystal Palace, Coral Reef, Mama Melrose and Spoodles. Plus, we always follow Calvin Trillin’s advice of never eating at the hotel!

We were very impressed with the bus and boat transportation. The buses and pickup points at the resort and the parks are clearly marked with their destinations so getting around was a breeze. Most drivers were very friendly, greeting us as we boarded and wishing us a good day at our destination. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus anywhere.

I might have been less pleased if we’d stayed at Riverside, though. Some of the stops seemed remote and on one occasion the driver on our MGM-bound bus had to contact dispatch as some Riverside folks had been waiting a long time for an Epcot bus. I did notice that if the bus filled at POFQ, the driver would skip or only make one stop at Riverside, so I would think that would add to the wait. Again, we had done a good bit of research and this was one of the factors in choosing French Quarter. A minor gripe was the number of people with those massive strollers! I understand the need for strollers but some of these poor parents looked about ready to pop a blood vessel folding and trying to get these SUV-sized strollers on the bus. Not to mention having them bang into everyone. I fondly remembered the wonderfully compact, easy-to-fold MacLaren umbrella-style stroller we had a few years back!

This was a great time to go to Disney as the crowds were low everywhere but the restaurants! It really paid to do a lot of research and planning. I found a ton of information online that helped us enhance the experience and have realistic expectations that were, in every case, exceeded.

As a deluxe resort would have cost us about $1,000 more, I can’t imagine how it could be $1,000 better! We loved the French Quarter and look forward to returning.

• Liked — the grounds and general ambience
  • Disliked — nothing
9 Thank lunarmodule

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

My wife and I went to disney for our second anniv. We chose French Quarter based on price and looks. The atmoshpere there was very relaxed and fun loving. We liked the decor and the room, although the love bug were a bit of an annoyence. Anyway about the hotel, it is very nicely decorated with a look toward the french quater from the decor around the room etc. We loved the fact you could catch a nice boat trip to downtown disney, we took it one night to go see Cirque. The show was awesome.
Some of the things we did not like is the buses, they were always packed and seemed like it took forever to get to the parks because after they pick up at the french quarter they go to all the stops at riverside to pick up too. That makes the trip alot longer then it should be considering you are within a couple miles of every park. Another thing was we came back to the room after a day at one of the parks to find out that our door was not fully closed after room service had been by. Thankfully nothing had been taken. We did inform the desk clerk about this and then proceeded to leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door the rest of the trip. We did get new towels and sheets and such during the week but did not feel comfortable letting them in again.
The other thing both my wife and I commented on was the feel of the "Resort", the way the hotel was set up felt more like a HIGH prices motel as opposed to a resort.
Given the chance again my wife and I will probably choose another resort to stay at, we still LOVE Disney however will give a different place a chance.

• Liked — River View
  • Disliked — Maid service leaving door open
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DisneyFanNY05
phila.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

just came back from disney , will not stay at french quarter ever again . there was dust everywhere got sick the first night there could not breathe doors need to be repainted. carpet was disgusting could not take shoes off. sheets were not changed entire time was there 9 nights, and the reason i know there was a stain on the sheet did not say nothing i was curious to see how many times they change the sheets i used this as my guide.i just slept on top of the sheets with my own blanket. makes you wounder if they change sheets between guest, told disney they did not want to hear it.

• Liked — close to the parks on disney property
  • Disliked — cleanleness
8 Thank minniePhila_
atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed here Sept. 15-21, 2007. We also stayed here in Sept. 2005. I previously gave it a 4 star rating. I now give it an overall 3.5 star. Those who go will most likely experience the following:

Magical Express Check-in-

At the airport, apparently Disney was not expecting these crowds. We waited over an hour and half for the bus to take us to the hotel. Had we arranged our own transportation, we could have saved a large amount of time versus saving a few bucks. They do handle your luggage but one must weigh the pros and cons. The first time we used the service it went smooth. Not this time.

Check-in at the hotel-

Well, this is where I encountered a not so friendly impression. I requested building 5 when I made the reservation. We stayed in building 5 the first time and enjoyed it for our anniversary. I know nothing is guaranteed as they are eager and happily to tell you. I also reiterated building 5 the week of our arrival and the day before our arrival. At check-in, the notes weren't read nor was the request honored. Lesson learned: hmmm you decide.

The hotel is still nice. There are tree lined, cobblestoned streets and the quiet ambiance with an occasional horse and carriage still outweigh the check-in experience. The hotel room is basic and the provided toiletries are very minimal. They give you a one small bottle of shampoo. They use to give you lotions, mending kits, etc. Not anymore......but the price of the hotel increased substantially since 2005.

The pool-

Very nice with an ample amount of chairs and space. As mentioned in other reviews, they have a strict code of safety. Lots of lifeguards. When thunder is heard the pool area is closed but pool bar which is still located in the pool area was still open. Hmmm$$

Restaurant food-

All around the Disney complex, we were very pleased. The food was plentiful, reasonable and actually tasted better than theme park food. One complaint though. We were on the dining plan which I recommend to everyone. It was offered for free in the months of August and September. Ironically, some menus changed in August and some semi-expensive items (steaks) were taken off the menus. Les Chefs France (Epcot) and Wolf Gangs Cafe (Downtown Disney) no longer have steaks available. I made a call to the Disney Dining plan as we were waiting to be seated at Les Chefs France. The representative even mentioned that the restaurants have steaks. Lesson learned: Don't plan to eat specific items. Disney restaurants don't even know what they are going to have. THIS IS NOT A PORT ORLEANS COMPLAINT.

Bus Service to and from the parks-
Excellent

Riverboat sevice-
Excellent

Rainy day ponchos-
$7.00 ......extortion

Check out-
Airline check-in for magical express-
Rather than going into it, the 2 employees were not very friendly and borderline argumentative with people.

Conclusion-

Overall Disney experience was still good. Hotel has a few more isolated problems than before. As price keeps going up, we will consider another resort or destination. For more questions/information and plentiful pictures, email me.

• Liked — The quietness and seclusion, even though the crowds were large.
  • Disliked — Some attitudes of the airline check-in at the hotel and the hotel not accomodating a simple request!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mikec
Vienna, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

The hotel is attractive from the outside with well maintined grounds but the rooms are old and worn. The tacky mardi gras decor did little to brighten the dark room of scuffed, dated furniture. The tiny bathrooms are reminiscent of 1950' style motels. Quality is lacking in almost everything from the paper thin towels to the flimsy bedspread. Disney has priced this property in the range of Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott but beware. If you expect a comparable room, you'll have to look elsewhere. The staff does a wonderful job of delivering the famous Disney magic and there are benefits of staying at an on-site Disney resort. If you don't expect much from this property, maybe you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2007
8 Thank DonnaE
albany, new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

We stayed at the French Quarter from Sept 8-15.

Room:
The room was clean and has fresh towels everyday. Gets 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 soap everyday.

Pool:
Clean and has 3 lifeguard on duty and very attentive. One walks around the pool and the two stays on there post.

Food:
It was ok. Althought, we dined to different restaurants every night. I recommend the Maya Grill(Coronado Springs) and Boatwrights (Port Orleans Riverside). Excellend Filet Minon! Wolfgang Puck Cafe was ok (Disney Dining plan will get a different set of menu). Breakfast with the characters at Chef's Mickey(Contemporary Resort) was really good.

Theme Parks:
Not a lot of wait. 5 mins or less. The Magic Kingdom 'Not so scary halloween' - Not worth the extra 50 bucks.

Bus Service:
Not too bad.

Ferry Service:
You can take the ferry to downtown disney or port orleans riverside. It takes 15mins to downtown disney and a few minutes to the riverside. Last boat leaves downtown disney at 11:30pm but you need to be there at 11pm to get guaranteed seats. Bus services continues till 2am behind the Rainforest Cafe or Planet Hollywood.

Tips:
1. Bring Poncho's for those of you going this month and the next. Unless you wanna pay $7 dollars for a poncho.
2. Utilized your dining plan first before you use your cash.
3. Buy beer or liquor outside Disney (a drink at the bar is 5 bucks!).

• Liked — The ferry ride to downtown disney.
  • Disliked — Lack of restaurant in the premises.
12 Thank roadrunner74
Southern New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2007

We stayed at POFQ from 9/9/07 to 9/14/07 to take advantage of the free dining plan. Check-in went smoothly and our room was ready at 9:00am, but when I asked questions at the check-in desk, I really do not want to see the Cast Member rolling his eyes at another associate because he feels that I am asking too many questions. All I asked was if he could check if there were any corner rooms available. As he was explaining my package I asked "How do I get there?" or "where can I redeem this voucher?" Very simple questions to answer, but for someone who is unfamiliar with the property, I don't feel these were out of line. Unfortunately, this poor attitude seemed to keep popping up, throughout the parks. Questions like... Am I on the right bus to EPCOT or Where do I catch the bus for POFQ and most of the time my questions were answered with “I don't know" with no further response.
Our room (6202) was clean and in good condition. It was nicely decorated, quiet and everything was in working order. BUT this is Disney and we expected something a little more special... Don’t expect any extras. We received 1 shampoo and 1 soap, per day and we were encouraged to use our towels and let them air dry, to use again. The beds were comfortable, but sheets and mattress pads would not stay in place on the bed & the fridge was not cold enough. (no control to adjust). I called maintenance & housekeeping, but only the fridge was fixed. There is only one elevator and one ice vending area per building. The 25” TV has a clear picture but too many Disney channels.
The Theme Parks were not crowded and we never waited more than 10 minutes for any attraction including Expedition Everest & Tower of Terror, until we visited The Magic Kingdom where most of the wait times were 30 minutes or more. Considering this, there is no reason to expect a ten minute ride, back to our hotel would take 1-1/2 hours. This happened 4 times and not at a busy time of day. Disney’s internal bus system is inadequate, to say the least. Our last night, several irate patrons had words, because one thought the other was cutting in line. It was a very uncomfortable situation, the driver did nothing and there was no security around. If you have a car and are staying in a Disney hotel you will get free parking at the theme parks. We used this option, to avoid the long crowded bus rides, on several occasions.
The pool is great fun, spotless and large enough not to feel overcrowded. Lifeguards (3) were attentive and constantly walking around the pool. Towels were plentiful.
We had reservations at Cap’n Jacks, Kona Café at the Polynesian, Olivia’s at Old Key West, Mama Melrose’s at MGM and the Concourse Steakhouse in the Contemporary. The service and food was great at all except The Concourse Steakhouse. Even with reservations, a long wait and poor manners seem to be the norm here and the food was only mediocre. Make your dining reservations as soon as you can. I spoke with a woman who had been at Disney for two days, on the Dining plan and had used only counter service credits, because she could not get reservations for table service. Try the resorts for your table service but be prepared if using Disney transportation. From other Resorts, you can only transfer to Downtown Disney then to your hotel by bus or boat. Counter service meals that deserve honorable mention are Columbia Harbor House in Liberty Sq. at Magic Kingdom and Sunshine Seasons at The Land in Epcot.
With many good things and some bad not up to par with our expectations, we just did not get that Special Disney Feeling here…

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — No Table service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bevzvet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter? Share your experiences!