“a perfect place”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Okay, this is a very expensive hotel, but its worth the splurge. We stayed in a theme park view room in the Royal Palm Club (main building) and loved every minute of it. A cast member met us at the front and took us up to our room bypassing check in. The room was very clean and spacious and the view amazing. We sat on our balcony and watched the fireworks over the castle 8 straight nights. There are several very good restaurants on site. Narcooseees is our favorite, and Citricos and V & A are also nice.
The kids loved the two pools and beach area. The Royal Palm Club was an excellent place to relax with a drink and listen to the orchestra in the evening.
We also enjoyed the spa and the sea raycers that you can rent to drive around the lagoon.
All in all a terrific hotel and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,541)

Reviewed June 10, 2010

This was our first trip staying at a Disney owned resort. I traveled with my wife and our 5 year old grandaughter. I must admit that I was a little skeptical about this whole Magical Express Bus option. It was absolutely flawless from the time we stepped off the plane until we reached our hotel. It was just as flawless on our return trip back to the airport.
We were met graciously when we stepped off of the bus by our Hotel cast members. They escorted us to the front desk and that's when the Magic began. We were greeted by the hotel check in desk staff with a very warm welcome. I asked them if it were possible to get an upgrade with a Magic Kingdom/Cinderella Castle view for my granddaughter. Penny our check in front desk person said that she would check but thought it would be doubtful. She returned less than 5 minutes later to tell us that we got the room and that there would be no additional charge! My wife and I couldn't believe it and it didn't stop there. The grounds are stunning and well kept. The pool is massive and perfect for young children as well as adults. It is also open 24 hrs. which amazed me, our room at the Boca Chica building was spectacular, clean with a vaulted ceiling, dormer with a patio balcony and Cinderellas Castle in plain sight. We had two queen beds that were very comfortable, Maid service was also exceptional with nightly turn down service leaving chocolates on our bed. Gasparillas is open 24 hours if you need a quick bite to eat, nothing fancy but adequate enough to satisfy you until morning. The 1900 Park Fare Charcater Buffet Breakfast was fantastic with plenty of items to choose from. My grandaughter was thrilled meeting all the charcaters, getting autographs and having her picture taken with each and everyone of them. The location of this hotel to Magic Kingdom is a huge plus, a short ride on the Monorail or a picturesque boat ride to and from the park. I would highly recommend the boat ride, it's much more relaxing compared to the massive people moving monorail. Our overall experience was phenominal and we can't wait to go back.

Bill D From, Tyngsboro Massachusetts

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I thought the "Grand Floridian" met & exeeded all my expectations. I took advantage of their 40% Off room rate, & opted to go with the cheapest room available (Garden view). I believe I was upgrraded for I had a view of the lake/river...but was not told upon check-in of the upgrade, so your guess was as good as mine. I dont mind spending $500.00/night for a hotel room, but figured I'd only be sleeping here, and there was no need to spend more for a better view.

I stayed here to celebrate my 40th birthday. Upon check-in, I was given a "Happy Birthday" button to wear, which I do suggest wearing for every character & Disney employee would wish me a "Happy Birthday". It actually was fun for the first day or two, for I would also get free birthday desserts when I went out to eat on Disney property. The room was spacious, again, even though I reserved the cheapest room available. It had a couch, flat-screen tv, full-size balcony with (2) wrought-iron chairs...which were not too comfy to sit on for a long time! Every room at this hotel has a balcony....but the views vary with each room.

The monorail (located on the 2nd floor of the main bldg) was convenient, not waiting anymore than 5-minutes for one. The monorail makes exactly (5) stops only: "Grand Floridian Hotel", "Magic Kindom", "Contemporary" Hotel, "TATC" (ticket & transportation ctr), & "Polynesian". Its just loops all day to those (5) stops. if you want to go to "Epcot", you have to get off at the "TATC" (tickets & transportation ctr) and change to another monorail there to the "Epcot" monorail. If you want to go to "Hollywood Studios (formally MGM studios), "Downtown Disney", "Typhoon Lagoon", or "Animal Kindom", you can only take the Disney Bus, for the monorail is not connected to those parks. The bus picks you up in the front of the "Grand Floridian" and runs every 15-20 minutes continously through-out the day/night. All free, of course!

Getting back to teh hotel itself..........it is beautiful!! The pictures do not do it justice. I agree with other reviewers when they say they could get a better room for cheaper money if they stayed at a Hyatt or Four Seasons.....but the "Floridian" is the best Disney Property if you want the convenience of being on Disney grounds...which was perfect for us...for when it got too hot or if it rained, we were able to hop on the monorail or bus back to the hotel in a jiffy, and then back to the parks later in the evening, with little or no effort. So, if you want the convenience, then stay here. If that does not matter, and you want more bang for your buck, & dont mind driving your car & sitting in traffic to get to the parks, then stay off grounds.

Our room was furthest from the main building, but, again, I didnt care...for the walk didnt bother me. The room was quiet, clean, and very big! We had an end-unit room, but never heard our neighbor on the other side. Around 9am, "mouse-keeping" would start cleaning the rooms above us, and we would hear the banging from the vacuum and such, but never heard a peep before 9am. Staff was 50/50...some were either very nice/friendly, others had miserable looks on their faces & wouldnt even match eyes with you...but, the majority of staff were wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LAURIELLN
Reviewed June 3, 2010

My twin sons made Eagle scout with the Boy Scouts so we decided to make this a memorable occasion and stay at this beautiful place. Hotel is not the word that does justice to this beauty of an establishment, let's call it heaven on earth. From the moment you step out of your vehicle you are transported into another world that envelopes you in luxury and beauty. Even walking to the rooms from the main lobby is a joy as there are fragrant roses and flowers everywhere and the place is impeccably clean and trimmed. There is not even a stray flower petal anywhere as the gardeners are in abundance. The rooms are spacious and lovely and the balcony looking outside your window is draped in lovely lace. You open your windows and can hear the yachts clanging their bells daintily. I felt I was in another era and even my teenage boys loved this place. It was our pleasure to stay here and remember walking in the rooms after a long day just to find the covers turned back and there on each pillow was a fresh chocolate that born the paper of the Grand Floridian. That is why they named this place that: it really is Grand.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Wow what a great place to stay. So stunning in everyway. Our room was clean and well kept. The location was great to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The bus takes you to all other areas of Disneyworld. The 2 pools were nice and there was around 5 restaurants to choose from. We did the delux dining plan which was great but too much food for us, next time I will just do the normal dining plan. We really enjoyed our holiday here.

2  Thank purplebarney
Reviewed May 30, 2010

My sister and I took our mom and our sons to the Grand Floridian for a 4 day vacation to Disney World. We stayed on the concierge floor and it was so great- totally worth the money because they give you breakfast, snacks, and drinks all day. The concierge was superb. The rooms were spacious, new, and clean, the shower in the bathroom can be updated, yet still was very clean. The lobby is magnificent, the room service was great and went out of their way to help us with "kid-friendly, and allergic food". Staff was extremely nice to the kids, from the bellboys to the lifeguards at the pool. There was absolutely nothing to complain about for our entire stay! Grand Floridian, we hope to come back! Keep it up!

1  Thank marissad
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This was our 4th time staying on Disney property. We were lucky enough to get a free trip to stay at the Grand Floridian so we jumped on it. Usually we stay at Saratoga Springs due to the fact the we have 2 small children and we would always get the 1 bedroom which includes washer/dryer and kitchen. Very convenient for us. I will tell you the good things about GF first. The hotel is pretty. It smells absolutely wonderful when you walk around the grounds. There are so many beautiful and fragrant flowers around every turn. It is in a great location to watch the Magic Kingdom fire works. The band in the main lobby was great. It is very convenient to be the first stop on the monorail also. The service was good. Here are the not so great things. The rooms could use some help. the door handle in the bathroom was hanging off. The shower head was also hanging down. There were drink stains on the molding and some stains on couch and chair. TOO MANY GOLF CARTS. You really need to stay on your toes when you have little ones because the carts fly around constantly. We were not impressed with the pool area. It was NEVER tended to. There were towels and empty drink lying around all day. Noone ever came to clean them up until it was nighttime. The quick service "Gasparillas" left alot to be desired. They need to update the interior more and add more food choices. It almost looked like a large public bathroom inside. No personality. Also, although it is close to MK and monorail is also great to get to epcot, it was a really long bus ride to get to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios. That being said, if we were given another free trip we would stay there again but in my opinion it can no way compare to Saratoga Springs.

3  Thank termite027