“Loved the Grand Floridian”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Omaha, Nebraska
“Loved the Grand Floridian”
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We stayed the Disney's Grand Floridian hotel and spa on July 25-29. Our whole family loved it!!! It was a bit pricey, but hey, we were on vacation! We stayed in a garden view room. It had two full sized beds and a daybed. It was a good size for all five of us. My kids enjoyed the activites they offered. My two girls (10 & 4) had a tea party with Alice in Wonderland and my son (6) took a grand adventure in cooking class and loved it! We all enjoyed going to the pool. The Grand Floridian has two pools. One is a regular pool with a small kiddie pool. The other is a zero depth entry pool. This one also has a waterfall and huge waterslide. My kids prefered the one with the waterslide. One night we did a character dinner. The characters included Cinderella, Prince Charming, The Fairy God Mother, and her mice friends. My kids loved this! They had a kiddie buffet and one for the adults. My husband and I loved the food! Be sure to try the strawberry soup! Yummy!!! My kids loved that the characters came to our table. All of them stopped by at least twice. Overall I would highly recomend this hotel. The staff was really friendly.

22 Thank gdakma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed July 23, 2006

This hotel is really average. We were expecting someting of a paradise in disney as this was supposed to be the best hotel, but unfortunately even this was the same chaos as all the other places in Disney World. I repeat previous comments that the hotel is too big for the facilitys available, the pool is always packed except at like 2am! The rooms were a good size, but our balcony was filthy and the bathrooms are in need of replacement. Our mini bar was really dusty, and the bathroom really smelt! Another problem was that we were put next to the lifts which gives you a defening night of endless screaming children and the movement of the lift up and down. Our sink in our room was also blocked. Another major problem we had was that the cards you get from the hotel to get into the park were constantly not working i think we changed them about 8 times in a 5 night stay! The staff printed the wrong names on the cards all the time which caused alot of confusion. And a word of warning do not let them deliver your luggage to your room unless you dont mind being stuck in the same clothes you have been on the plane on for about 4 hours! Restaurants are ok, but breakfast is hectic and the whole hotel needs a really good refurbishment.
Disney is a horrendous holiday destination in my opinion, i mean we knew it would be busy but it was horrendous. even at 2 am for the extra hours we were queing for 45 mins to get on a ride. There are simply too many people and hotels for the resort facilities and Parks disney has available. Orlando Universal was a much better destination as there is only 3 hotels.
If you think you will be getting a retreat at the floridian you are much mistaken!

• Liked — the monorail to the magic kingdom
  • Disliked — it was tired and needed refurbishment
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
24 Thank TRAVELLER-1989
Philly suburbs
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I've heard so much about this hotel and my sister was so looking forward to staying here. We went in late May. I wasn't impressed. It was nice, but a ripoff for the money. The room was a bit bigger than most hotel rooms but not by much. The bathroom was fancy, but I've stayed in nice hotels with nice bathrooms before. Other than the chocolates on the turned-down bed at night, I don't feel like we got any special treatment. Not even a free USA Today! The hotel is huge so it's a hike to go anywhere. The cafeteria-style restaurant was messy and the arcade is shoved in there. There were lines every time we needed something from the concierge or the front desk. We went to the pool late one night after the fireworks (it's open 24 hours) and there were no towels. I called for some and was told pretty much tough luck. The pool was packed with people most of whom were looking for towels and they couldn't be bothered to restock the towels?

I just was very disappointed and will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2006
32 Thank Ruby921
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We just came back from an 8 night stay at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort.

Every little detail was flawless! From our room, to our view, to the food, everything was fantastic! The staff is friendly and courteous, the location ideal, and the rooms immaculate!
The pool is open 24 hrs for those sticky Florida nights after a long day at the parks!

Great for the kids! Character breakfast and dinner available. We will stay here every visit!

Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My family which includes an 8 month old and a 4 year old researched extensively for the childrens first visit to Disney World. I wanted it to be every dream come true.! WOW!! I can not even tell you how absolutely amazing this hotel is. The pictures can not even begin to share the experience you will have when you arrive at the front entrance to the hotel. First the magical express takes you too all the hotels along the monorail that you probably looked at for your trip. Then they arrive at the GRAND Floridain. WOW!!!!!!! You can not even imagine that you are staying here. All the other passangers are in awe when they see it off in a distance before they get dropped of at their resorts!

It is AMAZING! I actually almost shed tears when I walked in the front lobby. Even my husband who doesnt cry and thinks he is so tuff, got choked up. The service was very fast. We had reservations at 1900 Park fare breakfsat but missed them while waiting for Magical Express so the customer service counter worked us in for breakfast anyway! That was a great start of service and a nice relaxation before we hit Magic Kingdom. Our room was not ready yet as expected so we went to the Magic Kingdom and saw the Magical Moments parade at 3:00. The lines were perfect, we rode Buzz Lightyear about 3 times. Stitchs ride was a big disappointment though.

We came back to the hotel to find all our luggage in the room as expected and we had been upgraded at no charge to a lagoon room with cinderella castle view as requested. At night they turned down our bedding even though we were not in conceirge room. They left us chocolate on our pillows. Teh grounds are BEAUTIFUL!!!! The poinsettas at Christmas are breathtaking. around the lighted reindeers. The pool and grounds are so pretty we wish we actually had a view of them instead of the lagoon. The lobby is awe struck! the Christmas tree is fabulous. teh gingerbread house is too cute and the music is so relaxing you just wish you had more time to sit and really enjoy the grndor of the place.

The room were always clean everyone was friendly and courteous. It was amazing!!!

One problem though. If you plan on going there make sure you are ready to go there every time from here after. Seriously, once you have been to paradise everything else will be a disappointment.

We are going back this Christmas already. I CANT WAIT! It is out "second" home. We dont stay very long, so we can splurge and make the most of the trip. Having a baby makes it hard but I never felt out of place or unwelcome there. I was worried that it would be snobby and not very family oriented. DONT!!! It is Disney world and everyone is so consumed with their family and the beauty you never feel under dressed or un welcome.

OH, get the dining plan and make Royal table reservations 180 days before the trip. Otherwise you will not be eating there. Have fun. If you have any questions I would be happy to help you. buckeyes2919@aol.com

• Stayed December 2005
33 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I absolutely loved this hotel!! I now call it my home. I can't wait to stay there again in my upcoming visits to Disney. The service and rooms were awesome and the food was amazing!!!!

• Stayed July 2004
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2006

A friend and I stayed at the Grand Floridian for three days. We received excelennt service. If you can swing it, stay on the Concierge floors. We were greeted by name by a concierge and were checked in, our luggage stowed (our room wouldn't be ready for a few hours due to our arrival time), and were in the park in about a half hour.

Our stay was quiet, peaceful and luxurious. We had some treatments at the Spa which were wonderfully relaxing. We didn't have time to use the whirlpool within the spa, but it looked very inviting.

The Grand Floridian is on the Monorail system which makes transportation easy within the parks, and having access to the park earlier and later than the regular hours is also useful for those really popular rides.

Stayed June 2006