“Grand Flordian - Sugar Loaf Key”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
Maine
Reviewed February 16, 2006

We loved the Grand Flordian but we lucked out and got upgraded to the concierge building (Sugar Loaf Key) Our only problem was the long wait for our room (two hours) Breakfast, lunch snacks and dinner snacks were served in the main lobby (daily) and cocktails were served in the evening. The room was lovely and the maid service was wonderful. I enjoyed it very much and I feel it was worth the $500.00 per night. I'm thankful we didn't experience some of the horror stories I've read on this review board .. I most enjoyed the quick transportation (monorail or boat) to MK and Epcot.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,546)

Reviewed February 12, 2006

This was a beautiful resort but the overall attitude of this Hotel is what was earned years ago. On 2 seperate occasions, we had to take cold showers. The water heater in our building broke & they were very aware of it. However, we never received an apology for this inconvience. That's all that I expected from a Hotel of this caliber. Also the hotel elevator broke, the pizza oven at the grill broke& the washer leaked after I used it. I know things do happen but I didn't expect it here.
Also,you have to pay for internet service which at other Hotels, you don't. We were upgraded at check in with no problem, the rooms were clean & the grounds were stunning to look at. I liked the convience to get to the Hotel from the other parks, too. Would I stay here again? I'm not sure. For the price I think you can get the same if not better service at the Yacht club or the Dolphin and they are located closer to the other parks.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank julesNewJersey
Reviewed January 30, 2006

We went to Disney on our Honeymoon, at first we selected the Port Orlens Resort but decided to go all out since it was our honeymoon. The price was high however EVERYTHING was GREAT, from the moment we walked in. They took care of us as if we owned the place. We had took advantage of the Disney dining plan which I must say you have to do. With it you don't have to worry about how much to spend on eating, we ate dinner at a couple of restaurants there where one meal was over $100.00 for my wife and I. Anyway everything was so gourgeous, from the decorating in the main building with the live band nightly to the actual room. We could not have asked for anything better. The magic kingdom was only seconds away on the monorail which made it great if you wanted to leave the park for a mid day shower or lunch. Anyway the price is a little restrictive however the service level is extraordinary, well worth the trip. It was a once in a life time trip for us and we were glad we did it!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2005
10  Thank DisneyFanNY05
A TripAdvisor Member
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2006

I normally do not write things of this nature, but sometimes an experience just touches you in a way you cannot forget. My recent visit to the Grand Floridian was simply amazing. The concierge staff especially was terrific. I would love to thank Robert and Sharon for making me feel like family while we were here. It was my husband and my anniversary. This year was very special to us since he is a recent survivor of cancer and this trip was a renewal of everything for us. Robert and Sharon provided excellant service. Each night there was a new magical experience for us. Champagne in the room, signed cards from Mickey and Minnie, and best of all their devotion in making us feel welcomed. Another person who I would like to thank is Manager DJ. His smile and personal attention made our tired toes and weary bodies happy by just hearing his hello. You really have amazing talent and I cherish all of them. And next time I visiting during Halloween with a costume. I never knew I could dress up and trick or treat like a kid again and at Magic Kingdom. Wow!

• Stayed: October 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2006

We stayed at the Grand Floridian for 4 nights, (2 adults and 2 kids - 6 and 4). We had stayed at the Polynesian last year, and although the location was very good, we found the hotel disappointing.

No such problem with the Grand Floridian! We stayed on the 4th floor of the concierge level in the main building. Check-in and check out were a breeze, anything we needed booked was taken care of imediately, the continental breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks and hors d'ouerves were awesome and well worth the little extra money.

The room are nice, although a bit 'lacy' but that is the theme of the hotel. Bed linens and towels are changed every day, and the hotel itself is spotless - quite an achievement with all the kids around. The location is great for the Magic Kingdon - 1 stop on the monorail. The pools are excellent with plenty of towels at all times.

I would really recommend the Grand Floridian to anyone - we will definitely stay there again.

One small point - many other reviewers refer to the cost. Anything Disney is going to be expensive - they are a business with a monopoly. If you want to stay an hour away from the Magic Kingdom in a mainstream hotel for USD 120 a night you can do, but you will miss the magic of staying on sight, the extra park hours open to resort guests and the shear convenience of being so close to the parks, especially with young children who can tire so quickly.

• Stayed: January 2006
16  Thank Londonred
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Simply the marque Hotel property for the Disney Company. This trip (due to late booking) our Family Stayed at the Swan/Dolphin Hotel, the "excellent" Animal Kingdom Lodge (see reviews) and the Grand Floridian. I was expecting something simular to the Grand Californian at Disneyland, but I must say this was far more elagant, done in true Disney Style. This was our first trip to Florida and to a Disney theme park at Christmas time. For a family that has been to Disneyland over 10 times, going at Christmas time was very different and special (I recommend it to everyone).

Pros: Don't want to spoil it -Just go visit you will see what I mean.

Cons: Needs one or two more restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2005
9  Thank CANADIAN2006
Reviewed January 28, 2006

We spent this past Christmas at Disney World. We were at Polynesian from 12/15 to 12/23 and then spent the next 4 days at Grand Floridian Beach resort. It exceeded all my expectations. The resort is elegant and gorgeous. I hated to leave. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed. Staff was both courteous and helpful. We ate at 1900 Park Fare character dinner and breakfast. Also feasted at the Grand Floridian Cafe. Everything was wonderful. We cannot wait to go back and this is now our favorite Disney resort. It was majorly crowded due to it being Christmas week but we still enjoyed ourselves and spent more time at the resort than in the parks.

15  Thank Carlinoclan