“The Grand Floridian is the Best Disney World Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“The Grand Floridian is the Best Disney World Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We have stayed at a number of Disney World hotels over the last 4 years. All of them have been nice, but the Grand Floridian is the best. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is very friendly, and it is very close to the Magic Kingdom. I doubt we will ever stay anywhere else next time we go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BatonRougewanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

My family and I have always stayed at the Value Resorts since we spend most of our time in the parks and very little at the resort. However, on our way, we received a call saying that our resort had been overbooked and that they were upgrading us to the Grand Floridian. We were obviously thrilled. Everything was wonderful, from the service to the rooms. We were given a castle view room and were able to watch the fireworks and the light parade in the lagoon every night from our balcony. Nothing is better than opening your eyes in the morning and seeing the castle first thing. The only thing I could find fault with was the bus service. We have always had much quicker service from the Value Resorts and I was a little surprised that with the quality of everything else, that the bus service was so lacking. We waited 40 minutes one night and wound up taking a bus to the Contemporary and then hopping the monorail back to our resort. All in all I am so thankful to Disney for the upgrade. My daughter still prefers the Value Resorts because they have more of a Disney theme but even she had to admit that this was a pretty remarkable resort.

2 Thank dsny67
nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I have always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian. We have traveled to Disney World several times, but have never stayed in the park. This being our honeymoon, we decided to treat ourselves. We were not disappointed.

At check in, we were told we were upgraded. While we were checking out our room, there was a knock on the door. There was a cast member with a congratulatory 'gift' of champagne and roses from Mickey! Our room had a wonderful view of the lagoon and Cinderella's castle. We sat on our balcony watching the fireworks and having our champagne that first night.

We stayed for 5 days, and every day there was perfect. Because we were upgraded to concierge level, we had personal concierge service. All of the cast members/staff were great, but Vonnie was exceptional. She was very helpful, and very knowledgeable

The location is perfect and convenient. The room was clean, and housekeeping was exceptional. The hotel does have a few minor imperfections (maybe showing it's age?), but to have a whole stay ruined over some peeling paint would be ridiculous.

We are already thinking about our next trip back, and we will definitely be staying at the Grand Floridian, even without the upgrade!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank chrispyNE
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We are Disney veterans, having stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans Riverside, and the Polynesian. I had to force my boys and husband to try to the Grand Floridian because they always thought the Polynesian was great. This was our first stay at the Grand Floridian, and in my mind at least, it's replaced the Polynesian as my favorite Disney property.

The theming is very nice, but do know that this theming is supposed to be sophisticated Victorian Florida resort. If you don't want that, this one is not for you. We did not find it to be stuffy at all.

We booked a standard garden view room and were upgraded to lagoon view in the Big Pine Key building. However, we had to be relocated after five nights because there was an increasingly leaky pipe in the wall which caused the bathroom floor to be sopping wet. We were impressed with how the management handled this situation. They called my cell when we were at dinner, and then when we went to the front desk and talked to a confused clerk who could not find our reservation (because we'd already been moved out of the room number we told her we were in!), a manager magically appeared behind us, had new keys already made for us, and had upgraded us to a theme park view extra large corner room in Boca Chica. We could see the Magic Kingdom from our two balconies, and we could even hear the train whistle and music from Main Street. It's truly a magical location.

I do believe the resort needs to maintain its plumbing better so that there are not future floods in this way, but at the same time, they were professional and prompt in handling us when we were obviously inconvenienced.

Others have posted about construction. We did see work being done, but we did not find it disruptive at all. The inconvenience would depend upon your room's location. They're putting new tile in the main building, and the completed portions are beautiful, though there were screens up requiring us to walk around certain areas on the second floor. I'm also assuming the construction will be done soon because they're not adding any buildings, just working on the stairwells and roofs in the existing ones.

We had dinner at Citricos and Narcoossee's (both very good), breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe (good), and several meals at Gasparilla's, the quick service place. Really, Gasparilla's is not the best quick service. They should remove those ridiculous arcade games to provide more seating and a quieter atmosphere, and improve the quality of the food which is not quite as good as Captain Cook's next door at the Polynesian (and that's not all that great either!).

Pools are nice, though the waterslide, according to my kids, is not as good as the Poly's. The Grand Floridian pools are not overly crowded, however, and we could always easily get pool chairs, unlike at the Polynesian where I felt like the pool was much too crowded for the size of the resort.

Grounds are lush and beautiful and also peaceful.

Castmembers were all very helpful and treat guests better than the castmembers at the Polynesian do overall. We dealt with bell services, food service, front desk, and management--and all were great.

This is the only Disney resort with standard turndown service, and my kids really liked that. The rooms are bright and cheery and have excellent lighting in the bathrooms. Also, housekeeping provides lots of towels and toiletries, too.

Of course, it's overpriced for the room and service, and I know we could get better price options off site, but part of what you're paying for here is location. For us, the location merits a bit extra cost.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we're returning for nine nights in December, this time at the concierge level.

• 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank ProfandMom
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We've been to Disney many times. This experience exceeded our expectation from the beginning to the end of our stay. Our entire family loved the resort, service, environment, and food. Thanks for making our vacation so special! Never wanted to leave and can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank disneyfan44
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Can't really beat the Grand Floridian's location - monorail or boat to Magic Kingdom. Easy! This time we stayed in the Sago Cay building overlooking the monorails. The views are not too bad, and housekeeping did the job. This is really an excellent resort, with fantastic restaurants!

Now, the downside - again it is with Bell service. One night, while we were about to leave a restaurant, the rain was pouring (terrible!). Since we have small kids, the waitress suggest us to call Bell service and have them give us a ride back to our building. I really appreciated that, but we ended up waited for 90 minutes and still no show!

On the day of checkout, I called Bell service and claimed that we needed help with our luggages. Unfortunately they said they are too busy, and it will be a 30 minute wait. Fine, let me do the luggage by myself. However, when I ran into a bell captain in the elevator and I said "Good morning!", when he saw that I am moving my only luggages, he just ignore me completely - hmm...all Cast Members I met in this magical world were polite and friendly, except the bell captains :(

Sorry, I would give service a 5-star if I didn't have issues with bell service.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank biggroofy
asdkjfg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I recently stayed at the Grand Floridian on the club concierge level and it was perfect for the 5 year old in our party to be connected to the monorail. We got a great deal on the room for half the price on Orbitz. We all wished that we could of stayed longer. The food in the concierge level was great with different food each night, we stayed in a standard room in the royal palm club and there was plenty of room for the 4 of us. Concierge service did seem more personal. We'll try to go again.

1 Thank happy117