Was concerned after reading some reviews that I would pay my money then be at the mercy of less than perfect Disney service for the duration of my vacation...... let me assure you our stay was almost perfect.
The Grand Floridian was everything I could have wanted in a Disney hotel and more. Reserved a standard garden view room (all they had available when I booked only 2 months in advance) but asked for a room w/ view upon check in and was given free upgrade to MK view room. The room had incredible view of MK fireworks and the boat parade that comes by at about 10 pm. Only disadvantage, my room was a top floor dormer, w/ no sofa bed, only 2 queens. But since we had been given the free upgrade, I didn't quite want to say hey thanks for the upgrade, but how about one w/ a sofa bed?
robes, fridge, very comfy beds (and I'm very picky), balcony w/view, quiet (we were there 1st week feb, i believe the hotel was not full) spacious enough, excellent housekeeping, lots of towels without even having to ask, View!, coffee maker in room.
No vending machine, no mini bar. have to walk to main bldg to buy drinks, etc. just plan ahead, you have a fridge (one tip- I'm not cheap but water was $2 for a 500ml bottle. Buy the 1.5 L size for just a little more $). The gift shop and Gaspirillas have pop, water, milk etc.
Pools great, it was cold while we were there so only used them a couple times, but water was warm in pool, if you could stand the air. Used the exercise room in spa once, it was great .. a bit far from main hotel, but I got some exercise getting there!
Citrico's - excellent, and I consider myself a foodie.
Narcosee's- good, fireworks at MK could be seen from dining room.
Grand Floridian cafe- good food there, too.
1900 park fare- even the food at the character buffett was decent
Gaspirillas- Ok for what it is. pizza edible, decent healthier selections of chicken sadwich, cheese plate, etc
You have to understand that at disney if you want a sit down meal, you must book in advance to guarentee a seat. Plain and simple. Having said that, we were there at a slow time and managed to have a non reserved meal at Narcosee's and non reserved breakfast at GF cafe twice.
Did not use dining plan as we wanted to eat at the fine restaurants, and wished to be unrestircted. One tip, we came to Disney w/out car. I brought some cold cereal and plastic bowls and spoons, bought milk at hotel, and had breakfast in room each AM. Saved a ton of time, we had the in room coffee maker, cereal and juice early and were at the park for opening. On days we had no immediate plans, the GF cafe had lovely breakfast.
Can't beat location close to MK on monorail. The one time wehad to take bus (to animal kingdom) it was abour 20 min wait for bus, then ride to other resorts before ariving at AK.
Used the Magical express bus service from airport--- no complaints( a little hard to find in airport--no signs. ask somebody, then you will find it)
We were immediately acknowledged at check in, taken to our room in a cart and given helpful hints by the staff on way to our room.
There were few crowds, again, we were there at a slow time with colder weather.
Due to bad weather, our flight cancelled and we arrived a day later than planned. I phoned Disney and they kindly accomadated taking one day off at the begining of our trip and adding one on at the end.
The service of shops at theme parks shipping your purchase to your resort is very helpful, and free of charge.
The fireworks at MK were crowded and the view of them was better from my room. Next time I will book early to make sure I get a guarenteed MK view..its worth the $$
Overall, great place. I will stay there time I go to Disney. Yes, you pay more than you would for a comparable room elsewhere, but this is Disney. You are paying for the experience and location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Victorian elegance meets modern sophistication at this lavish bayside Resort hotel. Relax in the sumptuous lobby as the live orchestra plays ragtime, jazz and popular Disney tunes. Bask on the white-sand beach, indulge in a luxurious massage and watch the fireworks light up the sky over Cinderella Castle. Just one stop to Magic Kingdom park on the complimentary Resort Monorail, this timeless Victorian-style marvel evokes Palm Beach's golden era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Prestigia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HotelsforEveryone so you can book your Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Grand Floridian Resort
- Grand Floridian Resort
- Grand Floridian Disney
- Disneys Grand Floridian Hotel
- Grand Floridian Orlando
- Disney Grand Floridian Hotel
- Grand Floridian Hotel Orlando