“Over promised and under delivered”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We took a family vacation to Disney over Christmas break and spent three nights at the Grand Floridian. We were expecting a high level of luxury and service given what we've heard and read about the property. Our check-in process was difficult. First, we were sent to the wrong rooms (our last name was similar to the last name of another guest, even though the first names and number of people in our party were different). Second, we were sent to other rooms only to find the rooms did not connect. At the time we reserved the rooms we were told the connection was guaranteed since we have small children. Finally, after more than and hour we got rooms that connected. We've stayed at other Disney properties and found that, other than being on the monorail, the Grand Floridian was no better than the mid-priced properties. Food options are limited and the service is spotty. We had a great vacation, but we were not impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank familyguy13

Reviewed March 13, 2009

I'm 25 years old and i have visited Disney sence i've been 6. And also with my children my husband and i have taken our children at least 4 times to all the parks and they are only 2 and 1. Our last Vaca we stayed at the animal Kingdom and we enjoyed it besides the Bus rides to all the Parks so this year we chosen the Crem' De' La' Crem "Grand Floridian" ... Beautiful up on arrival it looked like the vaca my little princesses dreamed about.. Yes i was discussed of the room it was small, smelly and bad maid service it was not what i would have thought for the price. The food was bad but thats expected from Disney where used to that by now but what had really upset me was my 2 year old twins and 19 mo old little girls was in the bath tub and the door shut and locked them in the bath room with the water running a moms worst fear!!! After running threw the buliding trying to find a maid she did'nt under stand me she was more intrested in cleaning the water up that was going to over flow on the floor not my "could be" drowneing babies... coaxing her to my room and her not complying with "Please Give us the Key!!" And her " I don't have one i'll call somebody." My husband had to bust the door down, wich was a thick door.and hard to do. Thank god to Find my 3 babies Live but,Scared Crying and water to thier neck ... Later only to find Mangers and maids being very Rude LIEING to us trying to tell us that a paper clip would open the door but We tryed every thing!!.. And only To find out that we was right only a Key could open that bathroom door that no maid carries only certain security people carry and to prove im not lieing please if you read other reviews it takes 45 min for some one to come to your door with the key . And yes 45 after the last rude maid came to my door The "KEY MAN" showed up. the manager said he had no clue and bla bla bla sence your checking out tomorrow theres not much we can do heres a chocolate tinker bell and we will take care of this matter we never knew our doors did this bla bla bla .. So we headed to the pool we was to upset to do a park that day. Later my 2 year old was in to deep of water for her and she was bobbling UP AND UNDER water and the life gaured just sat there looking directlly at her hoping some one else would see her now. Please I can Get over the fact that there is not a vending machine in each building or a bottle of water placed in your room so when you wake up thirsty your out of luck exept for tap water that tast like chems. and there is no security or any staff in each building (talk about job creation) but for SAFTY I rate it a No, No for familys with children or disabiltys Many Accidents happen in the world each day and to know it would take you 45 min to help your loved one who might have fallen, passed out or have a heart attack in the bath room behind a loked door let lone babys who are sitting in a bath tub by thier selfs Please Its disney Change your Locks or provide keys to the bathrooms like you would do a mini bar (that they dont have)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank theladiesmom
Reviewed February 13, 2009

From check-in to check out we loved the Grand Floridian. We stayed from January 24th through February 1st. Check-in was a breeze and easy...room wasn't ready until 3:00. No problem she said it would be worth the wait.....boy was it. We booked a regular room and received an lake front room right in front of the boat launch to Magic Kingdom. I'm not sure if a better room existed. We had sent a fax to the Grand Floridian asking for a room with a few a week prior and it apparently paid off. We opted for the dining plan as well and found this was a fantastic deal We got a snack, quick service meal and a sit down meal. My wife booked all the reservation about 3 weeks out with no problems. The dinners averaged about 150.00 and all we had to pay was the tip. The quick services lunches were good too...except for Magic Kingdom....limited selection and usually junk type food. Better quick service lunch options at the other parks. The crowds were at a minimum and all of the good rides did not have much of a wait...approx. 15-20 minutes max. The Grand Floridian was grand and loved the Momorail service to Magic Kinigdom and Epcot. The boat service back from MK was terrific too.....and our room was steps from the boat launch. The price was right with flights and I have no complaints. I thnk it would be a good idea to sit down and listen to the vacation club early in on your vacation as I heard the kids like it and they make it worth your while...I think a Disnet gift card for a good chunk of money is given to listen to the sell story. I heard it is worth doing...after the fact. We had dinner all over the parks. Cafe De France, Mexico, Morraco, Grand Floridian and once at MGM...the Italian restautrant...forgot the name. All the meals were great and a little similar. The snack options were also pretty good...escpecially at the Bakery on Main Street USA. You can get a box of cereal and a milk for a snack voucher....good deal. They also had a enormous cinnamon roll listed as a snack option. I would definitely stay at the GF again in a heart beat. If we go again I would most likely try somwething different as we have stayed at the Contemporary the Carribean Beach Resort and now the GF. My wife was looking at the Boardwalk resorts and seemed to like to ability to wasily get to Epcot and Hollywood studios from that area.....I think you can walk to both. I went with my children ages 11 and 8 and they still had a wonderful time woth some great memories. Disney treated us right again. We also rented a car and drove around to many of the parks with ease. The new picture options were great where they just scan your card and you can go online later at home and decided if you want to purchase any of the pictures taken by the many photographers all over all the parks. We also stopped at a local grocery store and bought some milk OJ and cereal and snacks for the kids. The refridgerator in the room was nice to have. Each morning they had breakfast on the cheap as this saved a lot of money on not having to purchase breakfast.....this was a good idea.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Greenwaters
Reviewed February 12, 2009

From the time I was a little girl my family has always enjoyed spending time together by traveling to Walt Disney World and staying at our favorite Grand Floridian. After going again in the spring I was again satisfied and enchanted! Though pricy, the lobby is amazing, the rooms are beautiful, the pool is great, and the service is impeccable! Sometimes it was even hard to get myself to go to the great parks.
I dined at 1900 Park Fare and it was so fun! With new character additions at dinner (ugly stepsisters & wicked stepmother) we had a great time. They were so funny! Also, the food is pretty good (buffet) and the dessert was fabulous.
The pools, the lobby, Gaspirillas, make the GF just like home...except better. I'm so excited to be going back in March!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank LoveToTravel1129
Reviewed January 24, 2009

We had a very nice 3-night stay at the Grand Floridian. Everything was spotless, the service was consistently attentive without being overbearing or annoying, and the concierge was very helpful with everything from theme park tickets to dinner reservations. The hotel is right on one of the monorail lines, which made it very convenient to travel to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom, and the bus to Animal Kingdom was nice, although there was a bit of a wait both to and from the park. We also took advantage of the Magic Express airport transportation service, both to and from the Grand Floridian, and we used the airport check-in service at the hotel, which made heading home much more pleasant (until our connecting flight was canceled, but that's another story...).

We enjoyed an afternoon tea which was very nice, and ordered room service one night for dinner, which came quickly and was tasty and well presented.

We did not use the pool or jacuzzi, but they appeared clean and well-maintained.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the Grand Floridian, and I would definitely be interested in going back. I will say that, as nice as it was, everything seemed overpriced, which is something I expect at Disney. We paid about $150-$200 less than the standard room rate because we were there with a wedding party, and I can't possibly imagine paying that much more to stay at the Grand Floridian- the price we paid seemed about right for the service and amenities we received.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank ktregar
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Stayed at this hotel when it first opened in 1989 and 20 years later, it is still a beautiful resort. Our room, which was located in a lodge building, was completely updated with new bedding and flat screen TV's. I believe this to be the best Disney resort. No complaints regarding anything at this resort.

I have previously stayed at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Beach Club and Swan, all were very nice, but, The Grand Floridian is the best in Disney World to me.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Suzi02
Reviewed January 22, 2009

This resort made me feel like a princess! Turn down service, chocolates, hospitality, and complementary gifts, ah I could list forever. The food is wonderful too. Save the money, take the time, and go. Even if you only stay at this resort a few nights out of your disney vacation, it is worth all the hard hours you spent working to pay for this experience. That is what it is-not a resort to sleep in at night- but an experience. It is also close to magic kingdom!
Oh yes! Please don't listen to reviews claiming the cast members appear robotic or that the food is bland or whatever. I have been to disney eleven times in my young life and have many friends from college who worked as cast members (summer jobs). Cast members are almost always sincere because disney not only keeps its guests happy, but it's employees too. Be civil to the cast members and they will go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfectly magical. In fact, the only issue I have with this resort was it is very awkward and disheartening watching rich people snub and dehumanize the cast members and watching the cast members handle it so graciously. America is a glorious country, but let us not forget who it is that holds us up at our foundation- don't snub the people who cook your food, clean your toilette, and change your bed sheets.
As to the food, Disney is a wonderful place to expand your palette and for you family chefs to be refreshed and inspired (especially at The Grand Floridian!). Warning- If you are not willing to branch out beyond american fast food and try new dishes that involve more than chicken fingers you will end up eating very expensive, everyday, american cafeteria food (although not bad for what it is). The food at the signature and fine dining restaurants in disney is pleasant, beautiful, delicious, and worth every cent. Oh, and if you have special dietary needs, the staff really go out of their way to accomodate, so don't let that stop you. There were instances at the Grand Floridian where the food looked so perfect on my plate that I was sorry to cut into it. But I am certainly glad that I did!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family