“FANTASTIC - Had a free upgrade”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Stayed here for the second half of our holidays after moving from the Disney Wilderness Lodge.

Having walked through this hotel on a few occassions in the past, we were very excitted about staying here. We had booked a standard room through Expedia on discount.

On arrival we were treated very well, staff were great and friendly. Even though everyone is dressed the same in shorts and tshirts we still felt like we should have dressed up to stay here. I asked the receptionist for a free room upgrade. She disappeared and she came back after 5 minutes and told us she had upgraded us to conecerge. When we walked into the room we realised we were upgraded to one of the top suites. It was massive. Walk in wardrobe, marble units, it was just wow. Even the bath want the usual Disney mini bath. It was so deep i felt i was in a swimming pool. The tap water even smelt different, clean and fresh.

Conecerge ment we had free snack foods all day, drinks and alcohol. When I say snack foods, I mean you could live of it, breakfasts, scones, pastries, chicken, hams etc.

The Grand Floridian is just amazing. The location is worth paying for. 24 hour fast service food, 2 pools, everywhere is clean.

The only problem I found is that you shared the same bus with the Wilderness Lodge. The bus went to the Wilderness lodge first so the bus was busier and during peak times I could see it being full. Being such an expensive hotel it should have its own dedicated bus.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Sprocket1066
There are newer reviews for Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 19, 2008

We were going to stay at the Swan but was disappointed when we saw the rooms. I contacted Disney and managed booked The Grand Floridian.

This is our second stay at this hotel and once again it met all expectations. I cannot think of one bad thing to say about this hotel.

Staff: From the moment we checked in, to the moment we left on The Magical Express, (checked out of room at 11am - did not leave for the airport until 3.30pm) we were made welcome. All members of staff greet you in passing. Nothing is to much trouble, and in our experience they will go out of their way to help you.

Room: We were upgraded to RPC and had a view of the Castle, The room had a King bed which was extremely comfortable, the room was very spacious, had relaxing decor and I could not fault the cleanliness. The food and drink offerings were delicious, varied and very welcome

The grounds are always spotless which amazes me, and the Lobby is calm and relaxing. Before we booked the first time we stayed I was concerned that it may be a bit "stuffy" and formal, I was wrong, it is truly a majestic hotel and worth every penny that you pay...everybody should stay here at least once if you're on a Disney Holiday.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nalad
Reviewed September 30, 2008

A really GRAND resort. I booked the reservation at the last minute and still got a great deal. The Crew members really exceeded our expectations. When we arrived at the resort we were taken on a tour, then to our room. No hassle with the luggage, all taken care of by the crew ( this was great, especially after being in the car driving for 984 miles from Ohio). The resort is beautiful, rooms are comfy & all have excellent views. We watched the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom from our balcony every night. The service is excellent . Even had Mickey Mouse fashioned from towels on the beds every day. Rosa G, our guest room attendant was the best, always had a smile!! The 24 hours snack bar was a welcomed suprise! Transportation system is primo. By monorail or bus every park is easily accessible. This was truly a GRAND vacation and we plan to return every year and stay at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. Thanks for the BEST vacation!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank jonurse5
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I have stayed in this hotel only for 1 night in September of 2008. It was my third Disney visit and only the first time where I stayed in Disney property. Initially I though about staying in Contemporary, but they were sold out and I decided to stay in Grand Floridian since I needed to be on Monorail. I was very pleased that I got to experience Grand Floridian instead.

Check In:
We arrived on Magical Epxress at around 1 pm. Our room was ready and I got my keys and was on my way within 5 min. Moreover, when I called the bell desk to bring my luggage, I assumed that I would have to wait for about 15-20 min (at least), based on my epxerience in other hotels. Our bags were at the door within 5 min of my call.

Room:
If Victorian Style is your thing, you will love it. I am not big fan of that era, but decor was not too bad. What pleased me, however, was the cleanliness and the size of the room. It was spacious, very, very clean, bathrooms were immaculate, and bedsheets did not leave any doubts about their cleanliness. We had a garden view room, with extra sofa bed (we did not use it) and two queen size beds.

Restaurants:
We ate breakfast at the resort restaurant and found it to be adequate -- food was good, service was great and prices were high, as anywhere else in the touristy place like Disney. Resort also has a small convinience store that carries a lot of food items. There are nice tables and chairs outside, so it would be very easy to make your own breakfast.

Grounds:
Immaculate. Very well taken care of, buildings are nicely painted and flowers in the lobby are great. Pool looked very inviting, too bad we did not have time for it.

Overall, I would say that I definitely want to come back to this resort on my next Disney trip.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank VaTravel
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I booked the Grand Floridian through Virgin Holidays as family holiday. We stay in Sugar loaf building which had conceige staff and buffet which was breakfast/lunch/afternoon snack/evening snack/late night snack this was excellent especially when you have got young childern who needs something sensible to eat after spending all day at Disney eating Junk food. The hotel for us was excellent the rooms where a good size and very clean. (The cleaners kept it very clean) and the staff was always helpful. I was so please with the facilities including the pools and leisure complex was my dream. The Grand Floridian is the first hotel for me that has kept up too my expectation of what a hotel should be like when you go away with your family. My children will always come back they were so please with everything that they are marketing it in the UK. I would recommend to anyone in the UK if they were going to Disney it was perfect the monorail was great and also you can use the boats instead of the monorail. My only complaint to conceige was that my balcony needed cleaning this was actioned sweptly.

Thank you for making my holiday very special!!!

2  Thank benjsurrey
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Grand Floridian epitomises the magic of disney in every sense. Stunning hotel, great service, great location and overall just magical. Lovely room. The pools and beach are great and it's very easy to get to Disney on the monorail or launch boat from this hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2008

A recent Labor Day stay proved to be a pleasant surprise. We have been attempting to try all of the Disney World hotels on different occasions. We have to say, so far, this is the best. The property is serene and beautiful, much larger than it appears from the usual monorail fly-by. Monorail connection makes this resort excellent if you are visiting the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, although the bus transportation is good--not great--to get you to all the other facilities. The room was spacious, two queens and a twin sofabed, although the sofa bed was NOT mentioned in the Disney website when we booked this. It made it easier for the two kids (13 and 8), so each had their own bed. I think 5 in this room would be pushing it, however. The hotel shows a little bit of its age despite the upgraded flat screen TV. The decor is a bit garish, but acceptable due to the Victorian nature of the place; it is in need of some more stylish upgrading. A negative was the distance from the main building, and the lack of covered walkways, especially during inclement weather. Restaurants were good encompassing all price ranges. Overall, a lovely place and worth the extra you may spend to stay there. The grounds are to be enjoyed as well. We had a lakefront room that was quiet and scenic. Yes, we'd go back there.

3  Thank Tenr2th