“Recharge my batteries” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Hull
“Recharge my batteries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Having lost 2 of my oldest friends within 7 weeks of each other last year, I needed some quiet time to myself and booked 7 nights at this wonderful hotel. From leaving the airport in the Disney shuttle to checking in and being taken to my room I was shown nothing but kindness, Every single member of staff I came across either in or around the hotel or in the 2 parks I visited were so helpful and friendly but the high spot of my trip was this beautiful hotel. It was expensive as I was a single person in a 4 bed room which was immaculate, comfortable and afforded a wonderful view across the lagoon and, as a single traveller, you get used to paying for the privilege of a private room but I considered the expense well worth it. The proximity to the Magic Kingdom with the monorail virtually running through the hotel plus the boat across the lagoon as well as the buses to all the different area's made getting around so easy for this non driver. I would like to think I will visit the Grand Floridian again so will keep hoping.

Room Tip: I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to a room with a lagoon view instead of the garden view I had...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jean N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Turkish first
Corning, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

One of the very best anywhere.
Great location, absolutely outstanding and incredibly well maintained facilities, and terrific service. Lots of extras with wonderful music regularly performed, flowers, and "hidden mickeys".

Our favorite hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife, daughter and myself stayed at the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian resort January 9th to the 13th. We stayed in a Lake View Studio, room 1304, which had a view of the Polynesian, Contemporary and the TTC. The new unit was fantastic! It includes a daybed, under the entertainment center, with a Dumbo mural that my daughter loved. The unit is a basic hotel room with a queen side bed, a sleeper sofa and a small table with 2 chairs. The highlight of the room is the bathroom, with is very large and includes a tub, with a shower on one side and a walk in shower on the other. The only area of the unit that is lacking, is storage. There is very little dresser drawer space…only 2 drawers under one side of the bed…so expect to live out of your suitcase as there is no real space to store your clothing. Not a big deal when staying for a long weekend, but my be an issue for longer stays, or if more than 3 people are sharing the room.

The villas are located near the Beach pool, which includes the water slide, children's play area…with an Alice in Wonderland theme and the Beach Bar and Grill, which is a great place for lunch after a full morning in a park, while recharging for an evening in another park. The resort is located on the Monorail, one stop from the Magic Kingdom and 3 from the TTC. Getting the the MK or EPCOT could not be easier. AT the bus stop, the GF provides a video monitor which displays the expected arrival time of the Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney buses…something we have never seen at other resorts.

The service at the Grand Floridian is second to none. From the moment you arrive until you leave. I actually lost my Magic Band, and the Cast Member at the front desk was able to replace it in 5 minutes. Having my band id number, found in the MyMagic app, greatly help this process.

We had a fantastic time and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Any room is great, but closer to the monorail station will decrease on walking.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jmags
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

A great locations with excellent service, but the resort is dated. Many amenities are under renovation, but the rooms are not. Stay for the location, but not a 5 start accommodation. The rooms at the Contemporary are of much hiher quality and are also on the monorail for ease of access.

Room Tip: request a room facing the park (view is across the water)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Phoenix051
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Floridian for our Disney vacation. Great rooms. Clean and family friendly! We utilized the restaurants on site. Great options for kid friendly meals! We also took the boat back from the Magic Kingdom after the park closed and it was magnificent. Brought us right to the dock on property without having to wait in the lines for the shuttles or the monorail. This is the perfect spot for families with lovely grounds. They had disney activities going on every day for the kids (which we did not have time to participate in but were nice to know there was the option). The great room of the hotel is stunning with beautiful decor. We enjoyed our stay there so much and will probably return. The staff was helpful and curtious. PERFECT for a family Disney vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank leahbutterfly
Pleasant Hill, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'm from CA, and all I can say to anyone who lives here is, stay at the Disneyland hotel. Its cleaner, the staff is much nicer, and it doesn't take you forever to get the the parks.

Cons
We ordered a room with a single bed and specifically stated that we were on our honeymoon, got a double. The room was dirty, found receipts from previous tenet and the refrigerator was gross. Front desk manager refused to do anything abt it until we said we had a better experience at Disneyland and showed him pictures on our cell phone.

They only have 40 single rooms, which is not advertised anywhere when booking your vacation.

Quick service is not quick and they messed up our order twice.

The business center charged us five dollars to pick up a package (they literally walked into a room grabbed it and handed it to us, said it was a processing fee, they do not do this at the Disneyland hotel)

The bus also stops at the Wilderness Lodge, filled up four times at that hotel and we had to wait for abt an hour a half to catch a bus to Hollywood studios, the rooms at the Grand Floridian are abt 200 to 500 more a night, NOT EXCEPTABLE.

Buses dont run from epcot until an hour after closing when the Monorial stops working. Wait to get on the monorail was abt an hour so we had to waste 20 dollars on a Cab. Also not stated when booking a room it says that buses and the monorail is available.

Ordered champagne as a suprise for my husband. They brought it to us hot (not even warm, hot), called to see if we could get a cold bottle and the girl working for room service said they dont serve wine, um wrong, went to the gift shop the next morning and they sell it there.

Cant get to downtown disney without a ridiculously long wait.

Pros:
Lobby is beautiful
Live musicians
people that work at the lounge are funny and engaging
Narcosses is delicious.

I just have to state I'm a Disney girl, always have been, always will be. I go to Disneyland every year and hold them to a certain standard for customer service and cleanliness. WDW is such a long shot from what you get at Disneyland its appalling. And to make it worse, the girl checking us out at the hotel acknowledged it was true. She said she was blown away by how much better Disneyland is. Not okay.

Room Tip: Stay at a midrange hotel, better bang for your buck.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Elyse B
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've stayed here 2 years ago and came back again mainly because it is the best entry point into the Magic Kingdom when traveling with kids and the food and facilities are the best of the various Disney property hotels. We stayed in a concierge building and the service from check in through taking care of guests was very good. If you had a complaint somebody would try to deal with it. I would be happier if hotel concierges had more pull getting dining reservations at the hotel. if you come at a busy time and don't have a reservation or want to change plans you're in big trouble. I would have liked the gym to be better stocked and maintained. The food at the various outlets was very good and room service was excellent. The pools are nice. We stayed New Years Eve -- there was a snafu with our dinner reservation but the maitre d' served us personally in the foyer and picked up our babysitting tab. Hotel might consider a more lively band for new year's eve in the lobby; this one was hardly noticeable if not downright geriatric. But the fireworks are great! The wrist band and fast pass advantage to hotel guests is important right now; it remains to be seen if this advantage will last once the Fast Pass Plus is rolled out to everyone. Right now we find the Fast Passes available in the theme parks to be useless (arrive at 9am and be told to come back to the ride at midnight) so this is an important benefit for resort guests. If we were returning to Disney, we'd likely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family