“The new Villas at the Grand Floridiann”

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

These DVC villas are only 4 weeks old and just absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. Lived our family stay here and can't wait to come back every year. The one bedroom villas are perfect for a family of 5-6 people. Loved having the convenience of a full kitchen , washer dryer, and fridge. Will be coming back here for years with the family.

Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Kinneri P
There are newer reviews for Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Floridian for the second half of our Disney vacation. It's proximity to the Magic Kingdom is a huge plus, but the hotel itself is amazing in its own right. We stayed in a club-level room in the Sugar Loaf building. From the time we arrived, the service was great. We loved the club lounge, which included free food and drinks all day. Our room was beautifully decorated, big, and clean.

Our kids loved the pools, including the Alice in Wonderland kids splash park area (with two mini waterslides).

We also found the quick service food to be a step above the rest of Disney World.

Room Tip: We were concerned that we would not like being outside the main building, but Sugar Loaf was great!
3  Thank kruzingtogether
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were originally booked at the Contemporary in September and jumped at the chance when offered an upgrade to GF Lagoon view. What can I say that hasn't been said already? Spectacular. Heavenly. Gorgeous. Dream-like. Heavenly again.

We are by no means snobs but it's easy to feel like one after checking in here. You are met upon arrival and escorted to the front desk for your check-in. The lobby is huge, elegant and very relaxing.

We stayed in the Big Pine Key building, which was close to the Beach Pool. We were no more than a 5-10 minute walk from anywhere on the grounds and once you reach the main building you can walk on the veranda if shelter is required from the sun or a shower.

We dined at the Gasparilla Grill every day for breakfast or lunch. Fresh, delicious food and wonderful service. We also had dinner at 1900 Park Fare as well. Nice to have those (and several more table-service) options on site.

Pools were incredible. It was great to have a choice between the 'quiet' pool and the Beach pool. Both are zero-entry. Both have a bar/snack bar and while the quite pool didn't have the games for the kids there is a ping-pong table for the kids to enjoy. Refillable mugs could be used at the Beach pool and the bartender at the quiet pool provided free soft drinks in lieu of using our mugs.

The hotel is beautifully maintained, the grounds impeccable, and being on the monorail was very convenient. We had dinner one night at the Contempo Cafe, and took the kids to the Neverland Club another night, easy as pie.

The only problem is that after a week at the Grand Floridian, now we won't be able to stay anywhere else!!!

Room Tip: Big PIne Key is close to the Beach Pool, quiet pool and the main building
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank flanalan
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We loved the Grand Floridian. The grounds are breathtaking. The hotel itself is old, but it's very well maintained. The rooms are not large, but who wants to stay in the room when you are at Disney anyway?!? We were very pleased with the housekeeping service. We had plenty of hot water (I read that one reviewer did not). The kids' play area with water slides is fantastic! The Concierge staff went above and beyond. I have no complaints!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed here on 11/6/13 to 11/12/13, this is the best hotel in disney if you like to be treated like a king.The hotel is beautiful the the monorail is right outside the door your in magic kingdom in less then ten min,the boats are also outside they will take you to magic kingdom to .All of the restaurants at GF are top notch restaurants with great service,and even better food.they have two pools here with food and drinks,and small power boats you can rent,the only thing wrong with this hotel is if you go to down town disney on a bus good luck getting back we waited for an hour and a half for a bus to pick us up at 9:00 at night when three buses came for the contemporary and Polynesian in that time we waited for one bus we were ready for a bus at 9 waited for 1 1/2 hrs then an hour ride back so we got in at 11:30.when I asked at the front desk why so long they said that's common with a laugh.so if you stay here take a cab back it will save you a lot of time,we learned this from others who stay he all the time they said it happens all the time with buses and the grand Floridian other then trying to get home from down town disney this hotel is great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NEWJERSEYSCOTTIEG
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for the last 24 years. It first opened in 1988. It is still very beautiful on the outside and in the lobby. It has wonderful landscaping and floral arrangements. The complaints that I am hearing about the rooms being rundown disturbs me greatly. I know the rooms are small but that has never bothered us before because we have always loved staying at the GF. It is nice to be so close to the magic kingdom and be in the middle of all the action. You can even watch the MK fireworks from the hotel. It is fun to see the boats and the monorail on the seven seas lagoon. The wedding pavilion is gorgeous and it is nice to see the brides and bridal parties in the lobby. The problem I had with this trip was that the lobby has gotten chaotic throughout the years. Due to the fact that the GF now has tea time at 1900 park fare and the princess tea party once or twice a day in the garden view lounge and also the fact that parents let their kids do whatever they want to, the posh beautiful lobby is like grand central station or as one employee put it "the Florida Mall". One night when the band was playing or the pianist was playing, numerous children were jumping on couches like they were trampolines, doing cartwheels and running like they were on a playground. I know this is Disney world but this place was anything but relaxing. It is even worse when the christmas decorations are up. They bus people in from the area to see the decorations and the place is packed. I also don't like these new "double wide" strollers. They were every where in WDW. And I had to get out of their way numerous times or I would have been run over. I was lucky enough to stay at the brand new GF villas which are disney vacation club villas. The place is like a mini GF hotel. It is very nice but after being open for only 3 weeks the room was already showing some issues. Scratched furniture, small holes in the wall, broken things in the room etc... Our room was also not in the cleanest condition upon arrival and that really shocked me. Disney used to be known for its cleanliness but that has all changed. It is so sad. Also the quality of the food has gone downhill in restaurants on disney property. I think this could be due to the disney dining plan. I was not on the plan and had issues with the quality of food at 3 different restaurants. I love disney world and the GF and it would be very sad if this wasn't one of my vacation destinations anymore. I hope Disney listens to what people are saying and they fix the issues. People are not going to pay top dollar for rooms that are small and in dire need of renovation. They also aren't going to pay for food that is not edible.

5  Thank napagirl2
Reviewed November 19, 2013

After much research my wife and I decided to take our toddler to Disney for a few days last week. From what I could read online it looked as if the Grand Floridian was the best choice. We paid extra for what was to be a larger room with a harbor view.

Upon arriving at 1:00 PM, they aid the room was not ready and that was fine. We waited around the lobby sitting area for another 2 hours with a two year old and at 3:00 I went back to check in and they said the room still was not ready. I asked what time check it was and they said 3:00. Another hour goes by and now it is 4:00 and they said the room was still not ready. That is three hours now. Finally at 4:30 I said I wanted to speak with a manager and they got us the room.

Once in the room we were floored at how small it was and our view of the harbor that we paid extra for was over half blocked by the building we were in. The small patio was filthy with cigarette butts, trash and dirt. There was a broken handle to the bathroom. The toilet seat was very loose and the shower hear was stuck in a position that faced the shower wall and wouldnt move.

It was clear that this room should have been priced about $500 to $600 less per night and was comparable to a Dollar Inn or Days Inn.

At one point my wife and I were out on the balcony with the door open while our toddler was sleeping and we heard our main door close. I jump up and a hotel employee was in our room. I asked why and she said, "I had to check something" and left. Yes, the do not disturb sign was on the door. I called the front desk and asked why an employee was in our room and they said, "We dont know why sir." What the heck!

I do want to point out that the staff at the pool and bar pool were fantastic.

Overall, the hotel was a giant waste of money and we will never go back again.

1  Thank KJLChicago