“Beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed 3 nights May 2013 for conference and found hotel to be clean and comfortable. Grounds and pool are beautiful and location is easy access to parks via boat or monorail. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Pool bar was not open but cafeteria was short walk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Holl123_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Turkish first
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed Disney as always. Service was great, but room not so much. The bedding was clean,but the room was not cleaned well. The lamps, baseboards, behind all furniture, and shelves were coated with "long term" dust. The bathroom suffered the same fate, as the base marble tile was coated in dust. The bathroom door hinges were painted too many times and the rust was running all the way down the back side of the door. The freezer was so full of ice build up it was unusable. I even got fresh towels on checkout and put in fridge to defrost the freezer ourselves for the next guest. Did I hate my stay? No not at all, but for the "best" Disney resort I expected better. We still tipped our housekeeping staff, they work hard. We stayed the previous year at the Polynesian and none of these issues were missed. I only was put off because the issues I noted were not just missed on one cleaning, but missed for weeks by the level of dust and build up present. The tub, toilet, beds, sinks, rugs were in good order as expected. Also our towel animals for the kids were missed for our entire stay until we reported to front desk. The manager made sure to have a bed full of animals waiting for us on our last night. thanks.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dave B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Floridian. We got an unexpected upgrade which made our visit exceptional for the price. The service was impeccable. Everyone was exceptionally courteous and accommodating. The convenience to the monorail and Magic Kingdom cannot be beat. The cold tap in one lavatory had a very small stream of water which we reported to the housekeeper and it was fixed when we returned that same day. We would love to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BMurphree
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian many times and love the property. The location can't be beat and there are plenty of food options. I think the exterior is stunning, but the rooms need to be updated. The wallpaper and bedding boast the Victorian theming of the resort, but look old and weathered.

The pools offer many activities for the kids. The recreation team worked hard all afternoon to keep the kids busy. The new water play area is great and perfect for little ones. The main pool is now zero entry, which is a nice enhancement.

I definitely think staying concierge level there is worth the extra money. Not only does it include a continental breakfast, snacks and appetizers, but beer and wine are included. The added level of service is fabulous, as well.

I would definitely stay at this resort again, but would love to see some updates.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kimg10
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

The room we had was very cramped. It was full of furniture that was useless to our family. We had a crib brought in and could not find a place to put it that did not block a doorway. There was an armoire type thing that had the tv on top and a fridge hidden below. It had 4 small drawers on the left side. Those were the only drawers in the whole room. We each used one for our underwear!! There was a large desk with no drawers and a sofa (not a fold out one). The desk was of the type found in a business travelers room. No need for that huge thing in a family room.
The restaurants were very expensive, as would be expected in a hotel that charges $500 + per night. But the selections were very limited. The main restaurant we ate at for dinner had 6 entrees to choose from. BUT, the dinner with the characters was a very nice buffet (approx $40). thee was a 24 hr deli type restaurant that worked out well for us, and had an awesome flatbread pizza.
The pools were very nice, clean. Had the walk in entry so the little ones were able to go to what ever depth was good for them just like on a beach.
The facility was beautiful, just as you would expect at Disney. The lobby had an orchestra on an upper balcony that was always playing when we went through it.
I had previously stayed at the Wilderness lodge, which I liked much more (more spacious, less pretentious), the Shades of Green (when it was still called the Golf Resort) and the Wilderness Campground. I feel that this was my least favorite facility on the property. This is due to the room size, the selection and prices at the restaurants and the pretentiousness of the place overall (just not my style).
BEST FEATURE: On the monorail system. When the kids were tired and cranky, it took 10 min to be back in the room from the Magic Kingdom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Go-whenever-I-can
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Disney World, where we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Location wise, this property is outstanding, the property is beautiful with blooming plants and flowers and the staff were most friendly. I didn't give the property a rating of 5 because we did not have hot water during our stay. We notified the hotel on 2 separate occasions, but the best temperature we could get was luke warm. Additionally, our room was facing the construction of the new Disney Vacation Resort, and listened to construction noise in the early morning hours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CruiseGirl_10
Commack, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

There are many good things to say about this hotel so I respect that many on this site have enjoyed themselves but my experience was just disappointing. I'll start with the positives though to be fair: a very pretty property, great proximity to the Magic Kingdom, monorail and ferry access, great viewing of the fireworks without dealing with the masses, a terrific water slide at one of the pools would top the list of positives. The reason for my average review is simply because the hotel does not compare to the other hotels I've stayed at near that price. The Breakers in Palm Beach, Ikies in Santorini, Ritz Carlton Kapalua. These are deluxe properties that cater to your every need. And whose rooms and customer service are exceptional. Our room was just nice, nothing great. Quite frankly, I really expected much more for the price. Maybe this hotel is worth $400, maybe, but in my opinion, no way $600.

It all started because I apparently committed a crime by booking through Expedia instead of directly through the hotel. What a total nightmare. I called a few days ahead of check in to make sure all was ok and to add my sisters name to the reservation since we were traveling together and they couldn't access my reservation, transferred me to customer service and then, after 18 minutes, told me I needed to call Expedia. They honestly had a real lax, indifferent attitude and it was surprising to me. Even if I needed to call Expedia, they could have been polite and it definitely should not have taken them 18 minutes. So I called Expedia and they helped me get it updated, but then when I called the hotel the day of arrival to let them know my sister would be getting there before me, again they couldn't access my information. Why let a service like Expedia sell rooms to your hotel if you can't access any of the information? This was worth $1200? It was crazy.

One thing that really bothered me happened the first night of our stay. My sister stayed at the Magic Kingdom late with the kids and I decided to come back and watch the fireworks from the hotel. A friend suggested it who had stayed there. So I asked at the front desk where a good viewing place was and was told there were park benches right at the back of our building. I noticed there was a private party going on outside in front of our building but the bench I sat on was literally nowhere near anyone. So I sat down and waited for the fireworks, called my husband to check in and next thing you know a hotel employee was asking me who I was and telling me it was a private party and I couldn't stay there. I said I was a guest staying in a room in that building and he said I'd have to move. So I asked where I could go, he walked me over behind the party and there was a huge tree in front of me so there's no way I would have been able to see anything.

The other thing that amazed me was the not so magical Disney express - they require 3 hour ahead of time departures to the airport. I understand they want to make sure people don't miss their flights but a normal deluxe hotel when you ask them to get on a later shuttle would accommodate you in a heart beat. My flight was scheduled for 8:05am. I was traveling alone with just a carry on and had gold status with the carrier which would allow me an easy screening. So when I got my notice saying to be ready for a 5:20am bus, I called to request a later one. I was transferred to Disney Express who told me that rule was set in stone and the only thing I could do was ask a supervisor at the hotel to call to change it. So I called back down to the hotel and told them that and the woman acted annoyed that I was even asking and told me a manager would call me back within a few minutes. No call back. Left the room instead of waiting - no courtesy message left from a manager or anything. So I ended up sleeping an extra hour, getting a taxi at 6:15am, got to the airport before 7am and through security with no issues. But it cost me $65.

And last but not least, having to book your dinner reservations months ahead of time? How do you even know what you will want to eat?

In summary, I saw a lot of families with little kids and imagine for them that this was a lovely experience and as I read other reviewers comments, maybe for some people this is worth it. At the end of the day, it's all about supply and demand and people want to pay that to stay here so it is what it is. But I just think for me, I wouldn't return. I've been fortunate to travel to many nice places and have no problems paying for top notch. This was a special treat for me to splurge on my sister and her daughters to stay here and it just really underwhelmed us. No one went over the top service wise. All in, it was simply a very nice hotel. But not worth a $600 night.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family