“Another excellent stay”

Ranked #22 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“Another excellent stay”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

From the moment we arrived at security to departing on our last morning the hotel was great. We booked a lagoon view room and were put in Big Pine Key building with a view towards the Polynesian Resort. The room was similar to our room last year but a bit brighter - from memory last years room had wall paper while this one was painted and this helped.
Everywhere in the resort was very clean - our patio could of been cleaner but was fine for us. We ate a lot in the Grand Floridian Cafe. The food and staff were excellent.
We got a deal through a travel website which was a very good rate. I don't think I could justify the full rate that the Grand Floridian has on the Disney website. But for the price we paid it was good.
One small point I would raise would be the construction taking place between our building and the wedding pavilion - I guess this could be a new spa building? They were piling the ground and reclaiming some of the land from the lagoon which involved dumping large rocks and moving them with diggers. This work started sometimes before 8am so if you are a light sleeper this may effect you. It did not bother us too much so did not raise an issue but it would of been nice to be aware of this before we arrived and we may of asked not to be put in this building.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Polynesian Resort may hear and see a construction site
4 Thank Vitara-1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I have stayed at all the 4and 5 stars hotels, but The Floridian did not meet my expectations. Considering the price I paid for this hotel, I was not satisfied with the rooms, amenities, nor the service. My next visit will not be this hotel. I have visited WDW 25 times and hoped this, The Floridian, would be the ultimate, I was wrong.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank janmariePittsburghPA
south jersey
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We went as adults without the kids for a medical conference at the GF. The rooms were large and the staff was friendly. They took us in a golf cart on a tour to show us our rooms. We did none of activiites at the hotel but for wathcing the fireworks and the boat show parade. All rooms had good views and were close to the conference center. We saw many happy little princesses all decked out and little pirates with face paint. It is a much more calm sedate hotel than the Boardwalk where we stayed the last time and way more low key and less noisy than the Contemporary.For hstle and bustle, the Boardwalk and Contemporary are btter. But for relaxing, the GF all the way.
The pool was good but not huge compared to Moon Place, Atlantis, and Beaches. It had one waterslide which we left alone for others vacationing with kids. The hotel was not spectaular but I have no complaints. All Disney employees had warm smiles and there was so much less wait time at the GF that it seemed effortless. The sound proof rooms were great so I did not hear other people's children.
We had a great time. The access to the parks, downtown disney, and the other hotels was a breeze. If you want instant access to the Magic Kingdom you are set. The bus transport to the other parks was pretty is easy too.
We ate in Citricos and loved it. We had a snack of flat bread pizza etc in the snackbar area and it was fine. We prefered to eat in Downtown Disney at the Fulton Crab House and the Irish pub. All the food was excellent. My only regret is that we did not get to eat in Epicot but for the quick service restaraunts because we wanted to the all the rides that we could not do when we went with our kids after the conference.
i would do it again with the kids because it was less stress than other resorts.

Room Tip: Have yur bags ticketed for hte magic express at the departing airport. You will not have to deal wit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sjreviewer
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2012

After several visits to WDW staying off property my wife and I decided to splurge and booked several days at the Grand Floridian for Valentines Day. While the overall atmosphere is nice the details just don't live up to their reputation.
The service at check in was great but the house keeping as a real pain. The rooms weren't well cleaned with the same soap mark on the bathtub the entire time we were there. House keeping seemed to take forever to clean the rooms and they left bags on dirty linen outside each room for hours every day. These were inconveniences and could have been over looked except for the experience we had at lunch on our last day.
We had the deluxe dining plan (way too much food!) and were using our last meal to go to the Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch. We sat down at the table and a COCKROACH ran across the table! My wife killed it in the napkin and the waitress grabbed the napkin from here and ran into the kitchen with it.
I was beyond horrified and totally disgusted.
We were really excited about this trip and were glad to spend the extra money because we thought we were going to get a special level of service and quality. Instead we were left disappointed and feeling ripped off.
We won't make this mistake again. From now on we will be staying off property in a cleaner more up to date hotel with a stack of cash in my pocket from all the money we saved.

7 Thank MCO_Addict
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at what we thought was Disney's finest Resort and Spa. When we arrived it was pouring rain. We drove up to the hotel and not a soul was to be found. My husband stayed with the car and I went into check in. We were given our room key and walking directions to our building. In the meantime, he found a bellman for our luggage. So we walked to our building IN THE POURING RAIN!!! Got to the room and waited OVER AN HOUR for our luggage to be delivered. It was around 10:30 at night on a Friday night. I did let the hotel know that we would be there at that time when I did the online check in.
Since we all have such busy lives, I had no time to get a manicure and a pedicure so I thougth no big deal, I'm going to the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. Would have been nice to have knnown the Spa was closed for renovations!! Restaurants were great! The room looked a bit dated. Hotel lobby was stunning. I just was expecting better service.

2 Thank Marinaviewresident
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I am a meeting planner and held a large program at the Grand Floridian in December 2011. While the program was a great success and we received many great reviews on the property and facilities, as a meeting planner I experienced several issues on the service side that I didn't expect to encounter at Disney's flagship in Orlando.

Pros: Food was exemplary and impeccable...both restaurants and banquet food. I was very impressed with the variety and quality of the meals, and the banquet staff were outstanding. The conference concierge team was also superb.

Cons: we encountered several issues with the Disney's Magical Express service for our guests, and I would not use this service for convention guests again. We also had challenges with the front desk and guest room assignments. With regard to the guest rooms, I am surprised that Disney's flagship still has bedspreads on the beds rather than duvets/comforters. It makes the rooms look dated. Finally, I encountered several billing issues at the end of the program, where guests' bills were inaccurately rendered and required lots of follow up.

I have done programs at other Disney hotels and did not have this experience; my recommendation is to think twice about the Grand Floridian before booking a large conference there. But for personal travel, I know you would have a delightful experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
NY
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We generally enjoyed our recent stay at the Grand Floridian, but while it may be deluxe by Disney standards, our experience does not really compare too favorably to other deluxe hotels. It was okay, but for the cost, you can really do much better at far better hotels - e.g. Ritz Carlton and Waldorf Astoria. We stayed in the main building which is considered concierge. Check in was very confused, with a young lady insisting that we had to stand on line at the front desk, even though we were told someone would meet us and take us directly to our room. After clearing that up by finding someone else to help us, we were led to our room. The rooms are okay, but pretty standard. The bathroom and plumbing fixtures were quite old and hardly what one would consider deluxe. The room had a very musty smell which we asked them to address, but never got taken care of. In general, guest services was pretty poor. Rarely was a request responded to and when they majorly messed up our room service order they could hardly care less. The concierge staff was generally kind and helpful, although we did encounter one woman who was awful about following up with reservation requests. The food offerings were nice, but I would not stay here again simply for that reason. Just was not enough for enough hours to justify the expense. Understandably you pay a premium to stay on Disney property and we have stayed at just about all the deluxe resorts (some more than once) over the years. We are finding it harder and harder to justify the cost as they are really not providing a "deluxe" product. I think the rooms could use a good upgrading and then you really need the service to match. When I recommend these properties, it is with a "buyer beware" disclaimer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple