“Great location - in need of renovation!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Yacht Club Resort

and 1 more site!
Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #65 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
“Great location - in need of renovation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

The Yacht Club has most probably not only the most beautiful facade in Disney, but also the most convenient location. You can walk to Epcot, take a short boat ride to Hollywood Studios and use the (ok) service to Magic Kingdom which runs every about 20-25 minutes and takes another 20 min to get there.
The hotel from the outside is perfect, in a perfect setting with great views and really nice, relaxed holiday feel. Dining options are also very good if you are interested in good food. The Yachtsman, the Beaches and Cream and the Flying Fish Cafe across at Boardwalk are all very good.
What is however mediocre are the rooms, they are extremely well maintained, but they are in real need of a renovation. It is really hard for me to comprehend how can Disney have created all these amazing structures, attractions and parks and they cannot start working on their rooms and particularly the bathrooms. They are soooo old and so small. The tub shares a tiny space with the toilet (ours was very stained and really not very pleasant); in order to get into the room you have to stand carefully in front of the toilet to make space for the door to close and get into the tub. The room decor is ok, still dated of course and the carpet is old as well…
If I had to go back I would go again because of the location and the beautiful exteriors and because it seems to me that all the nice hotels actually share the same problem of old and dated rooms. So please Disney do some of your magic and fix those rooms!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Marina V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Thai first
New Milton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

This hotel was fantastic. We stayed there for 16 days and loved every minute of it. The room was bright, large, spacious with 2 queen beds and a day bed (which we requested pre-arrival) and immaculate. We couldn't fault the reception staff, bell services, house keeping, waiting staff etc. Everyone was friendly, helpful and looked like they were enjoying their jobs. The pool area- Stormalong Bay was like a water park in itself. The theming throughout the hotel was superb. The hotel always had beautiful fresh flower arrangements in the lobby and the outside grounds including the pool areas, beach and were also extremely well maintained. Our room 4073 had amazing views over the lagoon and we could see the Epcot fireworks from the balcony every evening. We ate at the beach club marketplace, beaches and cream, captains grille, hurricane Hannah's and cape may and enjoyed them all! This hotel is in the perfect location too. A 5 min walk to Epcot and a 5 min boat journey to Hollywood studios. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor overlooking the lagoon. If you have kids request a day bed to Avalon them having...
3 Thank katyjw
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I was at the resort for a 4d mtg and took my family with me. We stayed on the Yacht Club side and had a room looking out toward the pond/Boardwalk with a small balcony big enough for 3-4 of us to sit on and read comfortably. The hotel was very well staffed with any need quickly met. The room had all the usual necessities (they need to upgrade their in-room safe which opens with a physical key) and while I"m not partial to the marine decor it suited our needs. In my opinion, everything in Disney is expensive and specifically I think it is expensive for the quantity of whatever you are purchasing but quality is good. This hotel uses the wrist bands which makes paying for things easy-no doubt the point-as well as room access easy. They sell Disney cups refillable all day which helps keep the kids happy. Room had a fridge. Workout room is good and has a view of the pool. I'd stay again.

2 Thank Molly H
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a very nice hotel with very nice rooms. The pool is very nice and I really like how the pool has a sand shore for the kids and sand in the pool so it is soft to your feet. It has a sand beach area by the water although you can't get in the water but still a great place to hang out. Having nightly movies on the sand is wonderful. I really like the location because you can walk to the Boardwalk and to Epcot and take a quick boat to Hollywood Studios. You only have to take a bus to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Downtown Disney. You can also see the Epcot fireworks either from the beach area or from your balcony if you face that area which we did. I did get a massage at the hotel and David was fantastic. I think he knows how tired our entire bodies are from all the walking. Definitely suggest David if you get a massage. Overall a very nice and relaxing hotel that I plan to stay at for future trips. The only reason I didn't give it a five rating is the bathroom is a little small. You have to open the door the entire way to step out since its so close to the toilet. Their really isn't a lot of room in the bathroom although the sinks are on the outside.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the water and boardwalk.
4 Thank Delia G
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my first stay here, as well as my first stay at a deluxe. I really loved it. I arrived at the YC about 2 am after a very long day. The good thing about that is there was no line! I was helped quickly and was off to my room. It felt like I was following the bellhop forever however by the end of the next day I could find my way to my room without looking at any signs. I asked for a high floor away from ice/vending machines, end of hall away from main pool, away from elevators. I got a high floor, away from the ice/vending machine, away from the elevators and close to the end of the hall. I was facing the main pool however it was not noisy so I was fine staying in the room I had. I was in room 4217. You could see the fireworks from Epcot from the balcony. Because the fireworks are lower you can only see the begging and the end of them but it was pretty cool! They were noisy but they are on at 9 pm so it’s not too bad. Might not work if you want to be in bed really early though. The room I had was a pool/water view as that was all there was left when I booked. It was nice seeing the boardwalk and epcot ,I’m torn though if I would book the category if garden or view was available. I used the room only discount Disney was offering so I got a great price for the room. I loved being able to walk/take the boat to both Epcot and Hollywood studios. The walk to Epcot is very short maybe 10 minutes at most. Bus service to the Magic Kingdom was not great though. Usually saw 2 or 3 buses to animal kingdom go by before one for the magic kingdom would come by. For bus service to animal kingdom/magic kingdom we only shared with Beach Club. For bus service to downtown Disney /waterparks it was beach club, swan/dolphin and boardwalk. Boat we shared with beach club,boardwalk,swan and dolphin. Stromalong bay was great! Make sure you bring your magic band as they scan them for entry and everyone needs them (yes even little Suzie). One thing that was very much lacking was the quick service. There was hurricane Hannah’s but that did not open until lunch and did not have much variety. There was also a place at the beach club. Not a terribly long walk but not exactly walking distance when you just want something quick. Maybe I’m just used to Port Orleans food court but it really needs a quick service place.

The fridge at YC was great. Unlike at Port Orleans the back of the cabinet had part of it cut out so there was actual ventilation so things were actually cold. My milk even froze. They need to do that will all of the fridges.

I really loved the magic bands being able to enter the park and your room without having to get your card out is very convenient.

Would I stay here again? Yes! And now that I have tasted Deluxe I don’t think I can go back to a modorete.

Room Tip: If you are planning to spend time on your balcony ask to face the boarwalk it's a great view. I...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank t0travelist0live
Wayne, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Disney Yacht club over a long weekend. Every staff member we interacted with was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and very neatly kept. We enjoyed the large pool which was fun for the whole family. There was lots of snack and meal choices right in the hotel and many others near by. The hotel is right on the Disney Boardwalk which is full of fun activities. The hotel has endless ways to get you to the parks. Once you are there you can lose the car keys. It is walking distance from Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios. There are shuttles every 20 minutes to get you around to all the parks and downtown Disney. The is also ferries that will get you to a couple of the parks. We plan on staying in this resort on future Disney trips.

Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

When planning our trip, we used the My Disney app or website to schedule our fastpasses, personalize our Magic bands, and make restaurant reservations. Prior to arrival, I completed on-line check in and our Magic bands were mailed to my home. The waterproof Magic bands worked perfectly for us. We didn't remove the gray part, so we could take the bands off each night and the kids could save them as souvenirs. I didn't have to open our hotel door once (the kids had an unnatural amount of fun using the bands to unlock the door) or use my band to pay for a meal, as the dining plan was linked on each person's magic band. The kids thought it was awesome to take turns "paying" for each meal with their Magic Bands.

We arrived at Disney around noon after a few days at Universal Studios over April break. We were immediately greeted by a personable and professional young man with an ipad-like device who escorted us into the lobby to personalize our check in experience. He reviewed our Magic bands with us, confirmed that the type of room we had requested was being prepared for our arrival, and explained everything we needed to know about the resort. I was very impressed, as I equated on-line check in with me going to a kiosk upon arrival. We were able to set a limit on our 11 and 8 year olds' Magic bands so they could determine how they wanted to spend the bit of money they had saved for this trip. Because we were on the Disney dining plan, we each received a refillable cup for the duration of our stay. The only downside: the only place in the Yacht Club to refill these closed at noon daily. We could fill them at Hurricane Hannah's pool-side grill and the Beach Club Marketplace, but neither of those was convenient. We learned we could also refill at Beaches and Cream. What was ridiculous was that when eating there, one had to walk outside of the restaurant door and back in through the ice cream door and then wait for an employee to refill the cups. Annoyingly inconvenient. But I digress.

After the quick and smooth check in process, we walked around to check out the grounds, which were beautiful and meticulously maintained. My kids were thrilled by the pool area. About a 1/2 hour later, I received a text alerting us that our room, 4089, was ready. We went right up. How pleased we were to see a nicely sized room with adequate storage for 4 people. We once stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge, which we loved, but we said we'd not return to because the room was too small and storage was minimal. Room 4089 was spotlessly clean. The two sinks outside the bathroom were convenient. Only negative: the bathroom itself was pretty tiny. The ipod dock clock worked well for music. We had two comfy double beds and a day bed. We could relax on the small balcony and watch the action on Crescent Lake and see some of the Epcot fireworks each night. Considering there were families with small kids all around us, we didn't hear noise through the walls or in the hallway during our stay. Every employee with whom we came into contact greeted us with a smile. Luggage was delivered quickly. Service was excellent in every way. The kids looked forward to the "towel art" the maids left each day. We had done a Publix stop and were happy to have a fridge to store water, etc. Many hotels now have the weighted fridges. Having an empty cold fridge for our stuff was appreciated. We chose this location for its proximity to Epcot. It took 10 minutes to walk to the World Showcase gates. Loved, loved, loved this. It took 20-25 minutes to walk to Hollywood Studios. One could take a quick boat ride to either of those parks. Another reason we chose a deluxe resort instead of mid-range property was because we anticipated crowds over April break. We were pleased that the bus serviced just the Yacht and Beach clubs; the buses were never crowded and we only had to wait more than 20 minutes once. It would be nice if a monitor in the lobby alerted guests when buses were close to the property. Disney is so efficient in many ways, I can't believe they haven't added this convenience. The kids loved the pool, and despite being there at a busy time of year, it wasn't insane. Even the arcade was spotlessly clean. My kids each purchased a card and the automated prize machine was a big hit. We would definitely stay at this property again and, based upon our experience, would highly recommend it.

Some tips we learned for traveling during a busy season:

Wake up early and take advantage of the extra magic hours. We did every ride at Magic Kingdom that we wanted from 7-10:30 a.m. b/t the extra magic hour and the planned fast passes. The park was so crowded it was miserable, but we never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a ride b/c we went early and planned our fastpasses wisely. We went back to the pool, rented a surry, etc. and then rested for a while before returning to the parks in the evening.

We made reservations for restaurants well in advance. Once at the parks, if we wanted to change our plan, it was difficult to make a reservation b/c much was booked well in advance. If you're traveling at peak times, reserve every meal you think you might want and you can cancel within a certain window without penalty. The quick service restaurants in the park were too crowded, so we would better plan how to use our quick service dining plan options next time. We had to scurry at the end of our trip to use our quick service meals because we didn't realize it would be nearly impossible to eat quick service in the parks.

The Magic Express, which took us to the airport on our final day, picked up at Yacht Club first. We had to visit several other hotels. Our driver had to pick up at a budget resort because of the number of people scheduled for the Express. When we arrived there, about 30 angry guests were about to claw one another's eyes out to get onto the bus, which only had 6 seats remaining. I used that experience to confirm for my husband that spending a ridiculous amount more to stay at the Yacht Club was justifiable.

Lastly, we chose the Yacht Club over the Beach Club because of TripAdvisor reviews. When I began planning, many people complained about rooms at the Beach Club. After visiting, I would still choose the Yacht Club, as it seemed less crowded and chaotic. Basically, they appear to be one large resort sharing a pool in the middle. Beach Club would make the walk to Epcot about 5 minutes shorter. The Marketplace, where you can grab quick service food and sundries, is in the Beach Club. I don't think you could go wrong with either hotel.

Room Tip: Room 4089 had a view of Crescent Lake. At night we could see some of the Epcot fireworks show.
4 Thank TheSecretVagabond