“Overall, great experience”

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Overall, great experience”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Standout Bright Spots:
- We arrived before the normal check in time, but they had our room ready and were able to let us into our room early.
- The staff was very attentive and helpful.
- Nice room with a view of the courtyard.
- AWESOME 230 ft water slide!!!
- Great location on the lake with a short walk to the boardwalk entertainment, surrey bike rental, dance hall, ESPN, and more!
- Less than 5 minute walk to Epcot
- Amazing pool area with a sand "beaches", a lazy river, 4 hot tubs, water slides, and plenty of tables and lounge chairs.
- Great poolside bar and snack bar with waitress service to lounge chairs
- Very clean, well-equipped fitness center that is open 24/7. Tons of clean towels and a cold water dispenser. Plenty of cardio machines, free weights, mats, and lifting machines
- FANTASTIC airport shuttle/baggage handling. The bell hop took our bags early at checkout while we spent a few hours at the pool. We went outside to the bell hop station and they actually checked us in for our flight, printed boarding passes, checked our luggage, and transported it to the airport without us ever touching it! It was SO EASY! The Magic Express bus picked us up and took us to the airport with plenty of time to spare.
- Quiet at night/morning. No sleep disruptions!

Complaints/Areas for Improvement:
- The AC/heat controls were old and outdated and unable to set a temperature.
- Musty smell in the room.
- After maid service, a "clean" mug was "restocked" on the coffee machine with lipstick on it.
- Poor shower water pressure
- Hot water took 5+ minutes to get hot
- We had to call 3 times to get a hairdryer delivered to the room (which was supposed to be standard). Then, when we finally got one, it didn't work. I had to call back and wait an hour for another one (which thankfully worked..).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BeckyE618

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Thai first
Ohio
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the yatch club January 2014. We were actually upgraded to this resort we have always stayed at Disney's value resort. We have always thought we really dont spend to much time in the rooms so why pay more. We now know the difference and will not stay at a value resort again. The hotel was beautiful for a Disney hotel. I have stayed in "nicer" hotels other places. We know that disney does not put microwaves and such things in their rooms unless your in a villa or club level.. We were very pleased with this resort. The pools were so nice! Walking to Epcot was great, it made us enjoy our hopper passes. The buses alone are enough for me to stay here again. The value and moderate resorts, buses are crowded and long lines to get on the buses. Waiting for a bus at the yatch club was pleasurable! Sometimes we were the only ones waiting other times there might have been 5 or so others waiting with us. We always had a seat never standing on a bus. I will say the convieince of the food courts at the value resorts is much better then at the deluxe resort or at least this one. The cast members are by far more friendlier and helpful at the Yatch club! We loved our stay and will be going back!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank familyo4onvacation
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

For starters we are a family of 4 with 2 boys, ages 4, and 6 months. This is our second trip to Disney with our 4 year old. We stayed for 5 nights and 6 days at the Yacht Club. 3 of those nights were paid for by me, and the remaining 2 were on a Disney Resort credit that we received after our last stay at the Wilderness Lodge 2 years ago. Most of our issues during our last stay were as a result of construction going on at the Wilderness Lodge. (Im sure that review is still buried in my profile if your really interested)

For whatever reason Disney was unable to join the resort credit reservation with our other reservation and this caused some minor problems during our stay. This also caused us to receive 2 sets of magic bands and 2 sets of magical express tickets with one end open on each reservation.

We arrived fairly early on Monday and went inside to check in. I was immedaitely impressed with the decor and cleanleness of the lobby. The scent that they are pumping through the lobby was fresh and not overwhelming. The staff was very attentive and helpful. While waiting to check in I was brought over to the Concierge desk by an employee to expedite the check in as there was a line at the regular check in desk. The guy who checked us in (Mike) was extremely nice and very creative. He was, however new to that resort and didn’t know where anything was which made the total check in time approximately 30 mins. We had pre requested a ground floor room during the online check in and were told one was available.

When the check in was over we were told that the room we had been assigned was ready for us however it had not updated in their system so our magic bands would not work to let us in the room yet. We were then told to call the front desk after 15 minutes to check on the status of our magic bands / room keys. We were then let in by a bell hop. Approximately 15 mins later I called the front desk to see if “Their system had updated” and the person on the other end of the phone had no idea what I was talking about. They tried to figure it out but I was inevitably transferred to another person who I had to explain the story to again.

The room itself appeared to be clean and well maintained and besides a gigantic dead mosquito on one of the beds. We didn’t see any issues until we pulled back the curtains and walked outside. When we went outside on the patio we immediately noticed that we were directly in front of the adult pool which was under construction. I’m not sure why Disney chose to overlook this detail with our reservations. We were staying on a resort credit that was given to us largely in part to a massive amount of construction that was going on during our last stay. And here we were again with a nice fresh view of some lovely construction. I then called the front desk and asked for another room. I was told that one was ready and we were moved to room 1085.

Upon switching rooms we found our new view to be exceptional as it had lovely views of the courtyard and water. The room was clearly an older one as the carpet was worn, the AC unit controls appeared to be from the 70’s. We also noticed a strange musty smell in the room which I chalked up to the ac being off and the room sitting unoccupied for a while. We then laid our kids down for naps and waited for our luggage to arrive. 3 hours later our luggage had still not arrived and I called the bell hops. They then advised me that our luggage had been sent to our first room and was waiting in there. They then advised that they would go an retrieve it for us. This again was a lack of attention to detail on Disney’s part and I wasn’t all that happy that our luggage had been sitting in a room that someone else could have had access to for at least 2 hours.

After a few minutes in the new room I noticed that one of the light fixtures above one of the beds was missing its knob, exposing the plastic. Due to the design of the room this was very noticeable and quite frankly unacceptable for a $420 dollar a night hotel. I then mentioned this to a the bell hop that brought us our luggage and was advised that it was going to be taken care of. When we returned that evening the knob was still missing. The next morning I walked to the front desk and spoke to a manager who advised me that he was going to take care of it right away. This didn’t happen, and that evening when we returned to the room the knob was still missing. I then returned to the front desk and spoke with another manager for the now third time. A few minutes later a maintenance guy showed up and fixed the knob.

In addition to the knob I also noticed that the room had significant rust on some of the metal fixtures in the bathroom and a bunch of tangled wiring from lamps and other items in the room, visible on the floors between the furniture. The fridge was also unplugged and I had to move the entertainment stand to plug it in. There was also visible trash in the mulch directly in front of our patio to include a wine cork, a cigarette butt, and several small pieces of white paper. Again a significant lack of attention to detail on Disney’s part.

When we went out to hit the parks the following day I noticed some water damage in the ceiling outside of our room. There also appeared to be mold growing on the ceiling as a result. I then noticed it was in multiple sections of the ceiling as we walked down the hallway. This is, point blank, UNACCEPTABLE. I can deal with having to plug in a fridge or some rust on a fixture in central florida but water damage and mold? Really Disney. For $420 a night??? (See attached pictures)

During the remainder of our stay things didn’t get much better in regards to the hotel. The room continued to smell musty and got so bad that we had to open the patio door to get fresh air in the room on a daily basis. When the maid came in to clean the room not much cleaning was done as the carpet was never vacuumed and some of the glasses we got one day had a nasty looking white spuge on them which I hope was undissolved dishwashing detergent. Also the maid forgot to replenish our ice bucket liner and I had to call and request one.

During the end of our paid stay we received phone messages and a letter advising us to please come to the front desk and arrange our Magical Express Transportation. I had to go the front desk once again, to make sure they understood that we had 2 reservations and that we were not leaving and wanted to stay in the same room. This was finally addressed but almost everyone I spoke with appeared unfamiliar with a Disney resort credit and was unclear how to proceed. Furthermore once we had checked out of our first reservation and into our second I received a phone message asking me to come to the front desk and provide them with a credit card for the second reservation. I had already done this online and they also had my card from our first reservation. Yet another lack of attention to detail.

However I’m glad that I didn’t respond to this request as when we went to check out on our last day there they handed me a bill for $202 Dollars. When asked what this was for the clerk couldn’t explain it and had to go in the back to check with a manager. She then returned to tell me that it was the taxes and fees for our last 2 nights. I then explained to her that those nights were on a Disney resort credit and that there should not have been a bill for anything. I then had to provide the letter I received from Disney in regards to the resort credit. Thank the lord I didn’t provide them with another credit card and they weren’t smart enough to use the one from my first reservation or this amount would have been charged to my card. Another huge lack of attention to detail and yet another issue I and to deal with while on vacation. I was finally told that the charges would be taken care of.

My final complaint about this resort comes from the convention center located in the middle of the Yacht and Beach Clubs. I understand that convention business has to be a huge source of revenue for Disney but the last thing I want to see on vacation is a bunch of suits clogging up the front lobby discussing business deals throughout the entire day. This place was so busy with conventions that I don’t think there were many other families staying there at all.

I’m not quite sure why Disney can’t have a separate lobby / meeting area for these convention guests and coordinate their room assignments to be in the same area and away from the families who are trying to enjoy some of the so called “magic”.

To sum it all up we had a good time enjoying the parks and other attractions at Disney. This resorts pool is amazing and is easily its greatest feature. The grounds of the resort are also maintained very well and a pleasure to look at however, I can not get over the lack of attention to detail on Disney’s part regarding the rooms and reservations I paid a significant amount of money to stay for the 3 nights that I paid for, a dining plan, 5 days of park tickets, and countless other items that were purchased at the resort and parks. The experience we had with the rooms was unreal and I can’t believe that this level of negligence exists at a so called Disney "Deluxe" Resort. I expected a magical experience and what I really got was anything but. No folded towels in the room after day 1, no anything consistent with a $420 dollar a night room at Disney World. I'm not an unreasonable person this is just poor, poor management and service at a place that is supposed to be known for its level of service. What a shame.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Brine6415
leicester
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was my 1st trip to Orlando and a Disney hotel. As part of a very large group I was surprised how quick and smooth check in was. My room was quite large with 2 double beds which were very comfortable. Bathroom was big enough but the 2 washbasins were situated outside the bathroom! Terrible view over a flat roof with rubbish strewn across it. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice. Location is pretty good. Would I go back? Possibly not, I would prefer to try a different hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pinklady3737
Boston MA
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Perfectly adequate. Clean. Quiet. Nice if a little slow on service. But quite aggressive about taking every bit of personal information on check in (to get Disney marketing machine?) if you are working till lunch, good luck. You cannot call to ask for late check out, have to go to front desk and personally ask. Meanwhile, as of 11 AM the "magic bracelet" will no longer work. They automatically check you out at 11. You need to have someone open your room to get your backs at 11 32. I have rarely found this at other hotels that seek business groups. But I guess most here with kids for theme parks so most leave room early?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JEnriquez
New Salisbury, Indiana
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was very excited about staying at this resort, as I've had excellent stays at both Animal Kingdom Resort and Wilderness Lodge. The Yacht Club was a real let-down. My room had a musty odor, a completely rusted door hinge in the bathroom (enough to leave imprints on the wallpaper), and an exposed sprinkler. One day I had no hot water, and when I brought it to the attention of the courtesy desk, they just replied "sorry we've had trouble with that". Just not what I expected for Disney property, and a deluxe resort at that. I also was disappointed with the restaurants within this resort, I usually either left the property to eat elsewhere or walked over the the Beach Club Resort. I won't be staying here again, and it will take some time for me to stay at another Disney resort for a while...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Kris D
Rhode island
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I will agree with other reviewers the decor of the Yacht club is a bit dated, but overall had a real good experience here. What my wife and I noticed staying here there seemed to be more couples and convention goers seems that use this hotel so in some ways it was quieter with a few less kids running around as compared to the beach club. Of course you still get access to the wonderful amenities such the wonderful pool, Stormalong bay which is an experience and another great review unto itself. The proximity to Epcot and Hollywood studios can't be beat.

I think one of the best jobs on the property has got be the older gentlemen dressed in captain's uniforms greeting guests as they walk in. A very nice touch indeed.

We stayed at the Concierge Level for an extended birthday celebration. Though it is more expensive it was nice to have some of the added service. To start off we were greeted by a cast member after stepping of the magical express bus. We were taken up to 5th floor to a private check-in. What is really nice is the concierge lounge, with continental breakfast, snacks in the afternoon, and drinks,appetizers, and dessert at night. This saved time having to hunt down breakfast and snack in-between going to the parks. The cast members were available to make dining reservations, and plans which is an extra bonus.

The room was nice about a typical size resort room. We did notice the latch on the door that goes to the mini-fridge was broken, instead of complain about it in a review we alerted maintenance and it was fixed with a couple of hours. So if you ever do ever see any maintenance issues let the know they seem to be really on top of things when you let them know. A different balloon animal on you bed everyday from "housekeeping" was nice.

Overall a great and memorable stay. The resort is great for couples and business folks, and has some things for little kids but not as much as its neighboring resort beach club, though the pool more than makes up for kids activities for both resorts. It was a nice oasis of quiet to rest after a being shoved in buses and trampled at the parks.

I would recommend this hotel to others, the prices do get expensive for this deluxe resort but service we experienced was top-notch.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator.