“Wonderful time at Yacht Club Resort”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #54 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Houston, United States
“Wonderful time at Yacht Club Resort”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at the Yacht Club Resort for a week in May 2013 and had an incredible time! The room was clean, comfortable and cool (able to set the temperature where you felt comfortable, and had ceiling fans!). Loved the balcony looking at the lake, Boardwalk and pool area ... ate room service on the balcony and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Room service was outstanding, as was the comfort of the bed, and the wonderful water pressure of the shower. There was plenty of room for all of my clothes (a couple of days of business and the rest were vacation) and gifts I bought for family and friends. Being able to go in to the Disney Theme parks early and stay late was fantastic (only on-property guests are able to do this), as was no line back of park access to Epcot! I also loved the incredible swimming pools at the Yacht & Beach Club Resort, and cool refreshing drinks at Hurricane Hannah's was a special treat every day, as was the occasional ice cream treat at Beaches & Cream. Everyone was so happy, the staff so helpful, and guests I met so friendly, I didn't want to leave and go home!

Room Tip: The Yacht Club Resort is big and sprawling, you can ask to stay near the elevators and won't hav...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jack A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Thai first
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had the opportunity to go to a WDW for a long weekend with not much lead time. There were not a lot of rooms available on property. We were able to get a room here and took it. It was a Friday to Monday trip.

This was my second stay at a Deluxe level property, the other having been Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. This property certainly showed it's more advanced age.

The exterior looks great, but the lobby, halls, and our room showed age and wear. For the price we paid, we had higher expectations. It was definitely clean and there was housekeeping staff everywhere.

We were given a third floor room with a view of the boardwalk, but unfortunately also the gravel rooftop of a floor below us. We could also see the pool from our lanai. We joked that we'd just try to not look down (at the gravel). When we requested another room, they said there were none available in the category we had booked.

Having said all of this, we otherwise enjoyed our resort stay. The pool was great and we were happy to try it after seeing it for years while going by there in the transportation yachts. The Yacht Club is in a wonderful location, so terrific to walk to Epcot! We also enjoyed taking a boat to the Studios. Bus service was taken to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants here, so can't comment on that. We only got ice cream at Beaches and Cream.

The level of service from the cast members was what I would expect from. Deluxe resort, helpful and respectful.

The Christmas decorations included a fantastic train set and a dept. 56 Disney village in the lobby, as well as a huge nautical themed Christmas tree and wall decorations at every turn. It smelled wonderful! They piped in some sort of cinnamon or baking smell.

Would I stay here again? Only if I got a fantastic rate or they do a big renovation. We would probably enjoy the pace and theming of the Beach Club next door for another stay. That said, I'm very glad we had the opportunity to stay!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed here at food and wine in October 2013 (sorry for the delay in writing!).

It was our first stay at this resort and it certainly will not be our last. In fact we have already booked again for next year. If you have never stayed on property at Disney World before this particular hotel has quite a few plus points in my humble opinion -

1 - The location - Epcot is literally next door, which was fantastic not only for the Food & Wine festival, but in general on any stay as it opens up the amount of table device dining options within reach. Plus, we found Hollywood Studios was within our walking distance (although admittedly I could see some people would struggle in the mid day heat). This made the location amazing for us as the proximity to 2 parks cannot be beaten in any other Disney locations, as a side note all the amenities of the Boardwalk are at your disposal as well.

2 - The pool - it has to be one of the best pools, not just on Disney property but ever. If you wanted the location, you could stay at the Boardwalk or the Swan or Dolphin but you would be mistaken as the pools would never compare to Stormalong Bay. It's practically a mini-water park and a great way to relax.

3 - The staff - I couldn't wish for better service from any member of staff I encountered. They all went out of their way to ensure our stay was 'magical'. Particularly the front desk and maid service - the front desk were excellent and really went out of their way to ensure they could do everything for us (including offering late check out, when we checked in as our flights were later in the day). The maid service were fab, they left us ever increasingly creative towel animals through out our stay, which were really fun.

I had read a few points before I stayed that had me slightly worried, for instance the lack of quick service options, but we thought the Beach club market place was quite convenient, but we may have been in a room closer to the Beach Club. The Boardwalk Bakery is great as well and as a tip the french bakery in Epcot opens for breakfast, even though the rest of the world showcase does not.

We really loved our stay here, the only genuine criticism I have os that they need more car parking spaces as it always seems packed, but I have and would heartily recommend this resort to anyone and will be back 2014.

Room Tip: Try to choose a higher room near the lobby facing the Boardwalk for great views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank weaselingaround
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at the Yacht Club, Club Level. I just booked our trip for June of this year and I can't wait! We like the location- we do the Disney Dining plan and enjoy being able to the restaurants in Epcot for dinner, and I book reservations 6 months out to make sure we can visit our favorite places. I like Teppan Edo, the French restaurant, the Moroccan, the San angel Inn, The Garden Grill and Cooral Sea. All walking distance from the Yacht Club.

We go to the parks with hopper passes early. When it gets crowded and hot, we leave for the hotel. The pool is fantastic and is reserved only for Yacht and Beach Club guests. In the late afternoon we head back out or just head to our dinner and then hit the parks again at night.

I've been to many Disney resorts... This one is the most "adult."

The Yacht Club -Club level- is worth the extra cost for us for the afternoon cocktails.

For transportation, I prefer walking, monorail or boat. At the Yacht club, the only bus trip is to Animal Kingdom.... Everywhere else can be reached with my preferred transportation.

Room was ample for a family of 5. I can't wait for our trip- my husband and I enjoy evening wine tastes in Epcot and the kids love the pool. Perfect for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank VAFAMILYTRAVELLERS
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This hotel is not worthy of the Disney brand, and if it is, the brand has slipped drastically. I have been visiting Walt Disney World Resort for nearly 30 years, for both business and pleasure, and this hotel is the biggest Disney disappointment I’ve experienced. I’ve never written a review here, but after my stay last week, I felt it more than appropriate.

When I arrived, in typical Disney fashion, I was greeted and escorted to the front desk. I understand that Disney is all about personality and guest engagement; however, cast members need to be trained to read guest body language. Sometimes the incessant talking and over-the-top “in your face” is just too much. This should be recognized and guests wishing to simply go about their business should be respected and allowed to do so.

One young man, who was working the front desk, was wearing a uniform jacket that was at least three sizes too small for him. He looked like a stuffed sausage. Carrie, who checked me in, asked if I wanted park maps. I informed her that I was visiting for work and didn’t need them, as I was only going to visit Epcot one evening, with a friend who works for the company. She proceeded to ask me if he had a friend. I had no idea what she meant and we went back and forth, until I finally just said, “yes.” I later found out that a “friend” of a cast member is the terminology used for the character the cast member plays. Not knowing this, I was completely confused trying to decipher what Carrie meant, and felt rather foolish. In addition, when I was handed my key holder, someone’s telephone number was written on the back. It was an out-of-town number, and I didn’t call it; however, if my telephone number was written on something and given to another guest, I know I would be incredibly upset.

When I arrived at my room, I found that there was a door connecting my room to the adjacent room. I have had far too many sleepless nights when staying in a room with a connecting door, so I immediately called the operator to request a room change. Danny, who answered, told me that someone would call me back. I asked him if I was to stay in my room and if someone would call me there, or if he meant my cell phone, or if I needed to visit the front desk. He said he didn’t know what rooms were available, so someone would have to call me back. I asked again if I was to remain in my room or if I needed to visit the front desk. Danny became very curt and replied, “Well, if you want to go to the front desk, you can.” At that point, I changed the tone of my voice and informed Danny that I was simply trying to comprehend what the best way to handle the situation was, and where it would be best for me to be. If I was going to move rooms right away, why should I use/soil the room in which I was currently assigned? At that point, he sheepishly apologized, I told him I would wait for the phone call, and I ended the call. Shortly thereafter, I did receive a call and was moved to another room.

That night, when I returned to my room at approximately 8:45pm, I turned on the heat. When no hot air was emitted, I called the operator and explained the situation. She informed me that she would dispatch someone from the engineering department. At approximately 8:55pm, a woman arrived, removed the cover to the compressor area, but was unable to rectify the problem. She informed me that someone else would arrive in 5-10 minutes to see what he could do. At 9:20pm, I called the operator and asked to speak with a manager. Once again, I was speaking with “Danny,” with whom I had the unpleasant telephone encounter earlier in the afternoon. He asked what he could help me with and I told him I wanted to speak with the manager. Danny told me he would have the manager call me back. I insisted that it was urgent and that I was very upset. After 5 minutes, I called the operator again, and spoke with a woman. She asked what my problem was and I informed her that my problem was that nobody seemed to be able to do anything at the hotel. I told her that I was waiting for a call from the manager, and wanted to speak with him/her immediately. This operator informed me that the manager was not on property. At that point, I was livid and told her so. I informed her that I wanted a call from the manager immediately. A few minutes later, the manager of engineering called me and told me that the refrigeration technician would be to my room in five minutes. I informed him that I was told that nearly 30 minutes ago and asked if it would be easier for me to simply change rooms. At approximately 9:40pm, the technician arrived at my door. Fortunately, he was able to rectify the problem, but this was over an hour after I had originally logged the problem. The lack of urgency and lackadaisical attitude from the hotel staff was disheartening and appalling.

The overall cleanliness of the hotel hallways was poor. Floors looked as if they were vacuumed once a day, late at night. The area immediately in front of my hotel room door was rarely debris-free. On the first night of my stay, I took a glass, from the bar, back to my room. The following morning, I left my room at 6:40am. I returned at approximately 10:15am and the room had been serviced. The glass from the night before was left, by the housekeeper, on the floor outside of my room. At 6:00pm that night, the glass was still there. I observed numerous dirty dishes and glasses outside of rooms, in the hallways, throughout my stay, as they were not picked up in any sort of timely manner.

On the final morning of my stay, there was no hot water for my shower. I later learned that several of my colleagues experienced the same misfortune. Apparently, there was work completed on one of the boilers overnight, and it was planned; however, no advanced notice was provided to guests, nor even to the convention service cast members with whom my group was working.

I left my room the final morning of my stay at 6:40am. When I returned at approximately 10:00am, to pack my belongings and check out of the room, my room service tray from the night before had been cleared. Whoever cleared the tray also took my personal wine glass, which, to the best of my knowledge, held no resemblance to the glassware in the hotel. I immediately called room service and spoke with a woman named Maria, I believe. I explained what happened and she asked if I’d like to speak with a manager, to which I replied, “No, I’d like my glass back.” She told me she would check and call me back. Within five minutes, Melissa called my room, introduced herself and asked how she could assist me. I told her that someone was already assisting me. She replied that my glass had been found, washed, and was going to be returned to me. If she knew what my concern/issue was, why did she ask how she could help me? I asked if someone was returning it to my room right away, as I had to check out. She replied affirmatively, and within five minutes, the glass was delivered to my room.

Immediately after, I went down to the front desk and checked out. I don’t recall the gentleman’s name, but it was a tall, blonde man that checked me out. He asked how my stay was, to which I replied, “not good.” After a pregnant pause, he said that he was sorry to hear that and then asked if there was anything he could do. I replied, “No, there were just too many problems.” That was the end of the conversation. Really?!?! No further service recovery was attempted? At Disney? That’s shameful.

I did not choose to stay at the Yacht Club, and my employer paid my stay. I much prefer the Swan & Dolphin Hotel, where I have stayed for both personal and professional trips, and look forward to my next visit there. While I am certain that I will be booked at the Yacht Club for future work, I will not spend my personal money there until the quality improves drastically. And if this is the “new” level of what to expect from Disney, I will give great pause and thought before spending my money at this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
13 Thank Matt M
Perdido Key, Florida
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Great hotel on Disney property for families and guests that want easy access with transportation to all attractions. Excellent restaurants with great selection of different foods. Meal plan with snacks make this an ideal pick. It made traveling with a large family easy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rakams
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I traveled to Disney with my husband on a business trip and stayed at the Yacht club for the first time. The room was clean but definitely needs some updating with the bed and decor. The whole hotel could use a decor renovation. The pool and location to the parks were great. I'd say that's the best part of the resort.

The restaurants were all average (I ate in all of them) and expensive. Need to improve on that too. The room service was the absolute worst! Found pieces of plastic in my Mickey waffles. My eggs and sausage were all in edible. I'd say it's the worst room service I've ever had. With so many choices in hotels there, I don't think I will be returning to the Yacht club ever.

• Stayed November 2013