“Beautiful resort; Houses best pool IMO”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #54 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Jacksonville, Florida
“Beautiful resort; Houses best pool IMO”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Having stayed at the Yacht Club just before our Disney Cruise, I felt that it's theme and the grounds of this Disney Deluxe Resort was great and the staff were very attentive with smiles everywhere. That felt great as I had read before that some find the staff to be snobbish but not so the case for my family.

Our room choice was pool view and that became the only downside realizing that it was on the other end of the resort near the quiet pool and that can be quite a walk from the lobby. However, there are a few doors that allow you to cut through the resort and get to places quicker such as Stormalong Bay.

Stormalong Bay and "the Jib" were very fun and although the food service there is slow, those worries went away as we just relaxed and had a great time at the sand filled pool and lazy river.

Honestly, the location is great being an easy walk to Epcot and to the Boardwalk and just the beauty of this resort really made it for my family and it's become a favorite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Reizo06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Thai first
New Hampshire
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Located right next to the Boardwalk and walking distance to Epcot, I stayed here for 8 nights on my Disney trip. I never got bored, there is a fun little water slide into a pool with a sand bottom. Wonderful restaurants are located all around, make sure you get the Kitchen Sink! Captain's Grille is conveniently located right in the hotel and has a wonderful staff and great food for dinner, and a kid-friendly buffet in the morning. A large pool which is sand bottomed and there are multiple, including a lazy river. Cast is awesome and super friendly. They are helpful as well, eager to help you out front when you show up in a car. Everyone welcomes you on your way in and asks if you need help. My room was awesome, had two sinks, two double/queen beds in front of a large dresser and tv, and a separate room with the tub/shower and toilet with a trash bin and racks. Everything was awesome, wonderful to walk around, and location was great. The whole trip was magical! Great stay here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alexis C
seattle
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We visited in early January with our two teenage children and the parks were very busy right after the holidays. Upgraded to the concierge floor and enjoyed having the all the amenities and access to the concierge staff. Breakfast, tea with treats and appetizers with beer and wine in the early evening. The staff was friendly and approachable. Room was clean and average size with a lovely lobby and grounds. Extremely convenient location-Really liked being walking distance to EPCOT entrance and boat ride to Hollywood Studios.

We have stayed at Grand Floridian in the past and this was just as special and felt a bit less crowded. I definitely would return and would recommend to those looking for a hotel on property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank flygirl500seattle
Glen Burnie, MD
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I had been planning our 20th anniversary for 3 years and chose Disney's Yacht Club Resort. It was wonderful and romantic. The room was more than adequate. We were far enough away that we did not hear anyone in the hallways or in the rooms next door. We had a balcony overlooking the water and could look out over to the Boardwalk area. We would go back and even ask for the same room! We loved it that much. It is also close enough to Epcot where it is only a 15 minute stroll to the back entrance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mab1057
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Last time I visited Disney I was 11 - there were two parks open, and most tourists back then stayed in Miami as Orlando wasn't really all that.

What a difference 30 years makes! Disney is huge - hotels and parks everywhere including the non Disney stuff. Maybe I will write a Disney review on the appropriate thread....

Hotelwise, this was average. We booked to stay on the club floor. No one offered to take cases from reception to the 5th floor although we were escorted. Both check in desks were busy hen when we get to the fifth floor so we were ushered to the club room and offered refreshments hich was nice - but nothing beats quick check in and access to room.

Shortly after we were called forward to check in - we were in a group of 7 checking in to 2 rooms.

My friends who we recalled to the check in desk next to me were checked quicker, got different info and a nice room.

I was allocated room 5143 - right next to the lifts and reception. I refused to be told it was an excellent room, one of the most requested (really?!) and that I would like it. I conceded as they told me there were no more rooms available. I was angry as the fifth floor must have a couple of hundred rooms and for £300 per night I was going to hear all the commotion of the reception albeit it was close to th club room. I was then told it had a kingside bed even though I had specifically requested two beds! I asked for the manager. They said no rooms available. I said not acceptable. Hey escalated and,over me to room 5149 - further down the corridor and far enough to be no issue with reception noise. Two beds which was what I wanted. Having said that it was a room suitable for wheelchair users so all the extra handles in the bathroom etc which was obviously not a problem.

Room is ok, but quite shabby really - but again, this is Disney and these rooms are heavily used- especially by kids! So I can tolerate it a bit. Decor and slight shabbiness aside, room was a good size, and hd a lagoon view that wanted, in the direction of Epcot.

The club room is where the premium rate comes in to its own. We had a light breakfast in there each day which saved a lot of money. We also managed evening drinks as well which again is an absolute bonus as bar prices in the hotel are very high. So this saved a lot of money and made the premium price worth it.

There were lots of people there who really made use of the club room - but that was more abuse than use and was a little selfish of those people - the early evening snacks are not designed to replace dinner people!

Location to Epcot, the boardwalk and Hollywood Studios is brill. Take the boat every time to add to the interest albeit the boardwalk and Epcot can be reached on foot in a little over 5 minutes.

The swimming area is brilliant - the kids loved it. It even has a good size slide although you need t leave the swimming complex to get to it so the younger kids need escorting. Free towels as well.

All in all I would recommend this hotel, but I've not sampled any others so can't compare. Bus service is great as it is I guess everywhere.

Main bar is small and uninspiring -would be nice if it faced into the pool area.

Tips
Book club - you should reap the rewards
Ask for a lagoon view that faces the boardwalk is poss
Free pool towels - no need to pack bulky beach towels
Restaurants are average - but so is ALL the food in Disney!
Use the concierge service - very efficient and friendly
Use your room card for Disney billing - it's a really good idea and accepted (almost) everywhere
Don't worry about the bill at check out - use express and the bill will be under your door on the day you leave and your card debited
Don't mess around buying disney tickets before you travel - but them from the heck in desk when you arrive.
Use the bus service but get your timing right as can be very busy!
Use taxis at other times - very good service locally
Get back to the club room before 10pm to get the beer in!

If I think of anymore I will add them later

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Topnightout
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to take our honeymoon at DisneyWorld. As I had never been I completely guessed when I reserved this hotel. I was greatly rewarded! I was met at the front door by Chip, who knew our names and is quite possibly one of the friendliest people I have ever met! He took us right up to our room (even though we were three hours early) and helped us find our way around the resort. We stayed on the club level (highly recommend) and this had our own consierge, morning breakfast bar, afternoon snack, and evening appetizers. Our room was located on the lagoon side and we were able to watch the fireworks from Epcot every night. it is wonderfully located for walking to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, or the Boardwalk. The pool is amazing and is a must see (even if you fear public pools as I do). The staff were the best I have ever encountered and truly lived up to Disney's magical reputation!

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Eeka04
Canada, eh
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had a chance to stay at the Disney Yacht and Beach Club for business, however my review is through the eyes of someone with a family on a Disney vacation.

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian, which is supposed to be the best resort at Disney World, but the Yacht Club does not disappoint and I'd be tempted to say it is better value. Yes, nothing beats the Floridian's superb lobby, but the Yacht Club has a lot going for it.

First of all, you will save about $100 a night for the same size room. Rooms are a good size with lots of storage for a family and every room has a balcony or patio. My only complaint? Disney washrooms are laughingly small. I'm not a big person and it was hard to maneuver around the tub and toilet. Ridiculous!

The Yacht Club also has a great location. It's a ten minute walks to Epcot and less than 25 minutes to Hollywood Studios. The Yacht Club is also a five minute walk from the Boardwalk, a small stretch of restaurants and shops.

I also thought the pool area was far superior. The main pool is massive and has real sand for the kids to build sand castles. It also has a lazy river and a great water slide. There are other pools as well, including a small one with a hot tub on the back side of the resort. I spent a morning at that pool and there never were more than five people at the pool.

There are plenty of dining options as well with restaurants in the resort, choices at the Boardwalk and some high end options a ten minute walk away at the Dolphin and Swan including Shula's steak house and il Mulino, a nice Italian restaurant. I ate breakfast every day in the main cafe - the French toast and lemon ricotta hot cakes would be favorites. Meals were surprisingly affordable for a big resort hotel. Not cheap, but not über expensive either.

Staying at a Disney resort isn't cheap but it is well worth it. Service is always good - friendly and attentive. There will be plenty for the kids to do - no shortage of activities. The food is good and there are lots of options to choose from. And of course, it is impeccably clean! Always!

You can't go wrong with this choice. It's not quite "grand" like the Floridian, but it is awfully good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business