“Lovely Experience with Some Disappointments”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #52 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I do my detailed reviews by category for organization reasons and for you to skip to the part you care about most so everything is not all mixed together.

*I stayed on the Club Level. (Regatta Club) so my check-in experience and concierge lounge experience may not interest you unless you're looking into staying on the club level or are staying on the club level. I recommend staying club level from all the benefits received. It's worth being a bit pricier in my opinion.

Check-In: We drove from Chicago to WDW. We arrived before 7:30am. I was escorted upstairs to the club floor by Yacht Club staff to check-in. I did NOT expect for our room to be ready at 7:30, but it was! The concierge staff member who helped me check in was great, unfortunately I cannot remember his name.

Room- Absolutely spotless. I know some people complain about the room being a bit outdated or worn. However, our furniture was in excellent condition and did not look worn at all. The only part that look slightly outdated was the shower room/toilet area. They need to update the shower faucets and such. Also the safe is old-fashioned (you need a key)

Pool- Okay, so I LOVE the pool but not the cast members who run it. It's sand-bottom, and there's some cool features. The slide is great, but the ridges where each piece of the slide meets hurts your back. ***PLEASE NOTE: The pool activity girl was extremely annoying and whoever chose to give her the mic made a huge mistake. She played the music incredibly loud and then would cut off the music by saying "OH MY GOSH!!!!" every two seconds. It was an overkill on the activities. That pool is entertaining enough for children with everything it has by itself. This is not even necessary. TIP: If you want to enjoy the main pool but not hear that lady's screeching voice or annoying music, please sit/lay-out near the Beach Club side of the pool, near the slide. You'll basically hear no lady, no music, and have peace and quiet. If all else fails- use the quiet pool.

Transportation- The Yacht Club's BIGGEST downfall, and this is the majority of why I gave this resort 4/5 stars. The bus transportation system here is absolutely horrendous. I wish I was over-exaggerating, but I'm not. It sucks. It has not improved in over a year since I stayed at the Boardwalk. Why does it suck? Well, when 1 bus is shared with 3 different resorts, with two resorts that both have two different stops, it tends to be very time consuming and crowded. Need a bus to Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon, Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach, or the Magic Kingdom? Don't expect to get there for 45 minutes there and back. The bus stops at the Swan, the Dolphin, the Yacht Club, the Beach Club, and the Boardwalk. One time our bus was too crowded on the way to MK that we had to skip picking up the Boardwalk guests entirely. Boat transportation to Epcot and Hollywood Studios was fine. We preferred walking to Epcot.

Food/ Regatta Club- We didn't eat a lot at the Yacht/Beach Club unless we were in the Regatta Club lounge.The breakfast was good to start our day off with bagels, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, fruit, juices, hard-boiled eggs, etc. The staff was amazing, (especially a lady named Shakira!), lunch had snacks for us (home-made chips with red-pepper ranch, candy, yogurt-covered pretzels, trail mix, etc.), and in the evening they had hot appetizers that were different each night, different types of cheeses, salads, beer and wine, etc. Dessert hour had a couple of desserts (the oreo bon-bons are the most amazing things ever) with other liquor offerings. I honestly prefer Wilderness Lodge's Old Faithful Club's selections better but this was fine nonetheless and I stay here again I would definitely do the concierge option again. We skipped spending money on dinner after trying all the appetizers in the evening. The food selection in general at the Yacht/Beach Club is OKAY. The Beach Club Marketplace is alright but a bit over-priced. Hurricane Hannah's was closed for refurbishment. Luckily Epcot is walking distance and the Boardwalk has food across the way.

Gym- Okay, I know. You're on vacation...why work out? We felt less guilty keeping up gym habits after eating terribly. The Ship-Shape lounge was closed for refurbishment so we had to use the Beach Club Solarium gym. It was okay. My boyfriend needed heavier weights than the selection offered, and there were no weight machines.Pictures of the Ship-Gym (pre-refurb) showed weight machines so maybe this is just the smaller of the gyms. The Solarium had enough cardio machines they were up to date and at least it was clean.

Resort/Property- Gorgeous as can be. It's much quieter on the Yacht Club side than it is Beach Club. We hardly had kids in our area while the Beach Club seemed to be swarming with them. The lobby is beautiful and there isn't that "Disney Over-Kill Theme" here. It's classy and I love it the theme.

All-in-all, the bus system needs to improve and they need to find a new pool activity person or get rid of that all together. These two things are what put a damper on our experience and are what are going to stop me from returning to this particular resort in the future or recommending it to others. If these improve, than it's an entirely different story and I'd love to return.

Room Tip: Please looking into staying on the Club Level- it's a bit pricier but it's well worth it for...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ashleyxmarie
There are newer reviews for Disney's Yacht Club Resort

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband, daughter, and I stayed here for 4 days in a water view room. We were very happy, in general, with the resort. We stayed at the Polynesian last year, and we were less than impressed with our stay there. I can't say that we would return to the Polynesian, but we would be happy to stay at the Yacht Club again. The room was clean and comfortable. It was spacious and inviting. The view of the pool was very nice. There were definately more pros than cons staying here. The water taxis were nice to Epcot and Hollywood, however, we did not like having to take a bus to and from Magic Kingdom. The walk to and from Hollywood Studios and Epcot was quite reasonable as well (if you did not want to wait for the water taxis). The grounds were well kept, and the resort was impressive. The pool was great, and we enjoyed the restaurants on the property as well. The room could use some minor cosmetic touch ups, and a small amount of updating. The only thing my husband and I were not happy with aside from the bus ride to and from Magic Kingdom was the extensive walk to and from the elevators in relation to where our room was situated. Other than that, almost everything met or exceeded our expectations.

1  Thank Mrs B
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Upon check in the representative welcomed my family, directed me to the room and failed to tell us what room we were in and did not give us keys. First mistake. Three days into the vaca we were a little confused with the meal plan we had purchased. When I went to ask concierge about the plan, she said 'you didn't get this brochure at check in?' There was all of this information about how to redeem your points and where. We never got this. Second mistake. And third, the quick service meals (eggs or a sandwich) were not even at our resorts, it was next door at the Beach Club resort. What??? The long walk was ok for me but I brought my 70 year old parents and trekking to the connecting resort for breakfast and/or lunch was crazy. Room, bathroom and amenities were just average, nothing special but it was clean.

3  Thank Thad W
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The property is great, the people are extremely friendly and the locations is just awesome - everything you expect from a Disney property. The only negative comment I have is the very high food prices.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

You may think Disney Yacht Club Resort is uppity or too stuffy but it is not. While you probably will not see cut off jeans and sleeveless t-shirt wearers you will still see casual resort guests that appreciate a higher level of service. This is Disney so casual is in but maybe slightly more refined which may be due to the fact it is a deluxe level hotel. You will feel as comfortable in shorts and t-shirts as you will in a dressy casual attire. Service is excellent and the amenities are great. 10 min walk to Epcot, 20 min walk to Hollywood Studios or take a boat or bus. Very large and fun sand bottom pool with neat slide shared with the beach club and there is also a quiet pool in the back. Tennis courts and varied food service and shops also walking close to the Boardwalk Resort, Swan and Dolphin resorts and all of their services. Walk to Disney Mini-Golf. While there is a business convention center we did not see too many business guests.

1  Thank RTravels498
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just back from two wonderful weeks in this hotel, it is lovely throughout and the staff are very friendly, we will certainly go back.
Can not recommend it highly enough!
The beds are the most comfortable i have slept in.
Location is great, ten minutes walk to Epcot, 15 Minutes to Hollywood Studio's and the bus service to the Magic Kingdom etc was first class.

1  Thank PP1976
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during the Royal Pet Open House. The room was spotlessly clean, and the view was terrific - Room 3159. We could see the Epcot fireworks from our 3rd floor balcony. We had a minor issue with the commode (valve kept running), we reported it at the front desk when we were headed out for the day, and it was repaired by the time we returned.

Hotel staff were friendly and everything was to our liking. This was our first time at this particular Disney property, and we were very pleased.

We didn't get an opportunity to use the pool area, but we did check it out before it rained, and it looked like a lot of fun, especially for young families.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business