“Disney Resort Rocked it Out of the Park”

Disney's Yacht Club Resort
Ranked #54 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Saskatchewan
“Disney Resort Rocked it Out of the Park”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

In January I had the pleasure of sharing this amazing resort with a few hundred of my closest friends at a Creative Memories Leadership Convention. From the moment our feet touched the ground at the resort we were treated with the utmost of respect, professionalism and helpfulness. Our room faced onto the lake and we were treated to the most amazing sunrises and sunsets (maybe there are great sun-shows outside of Saskatchewan!). We had less than a week to enjoy the resort and certainly could have stayed much, much longer! I appreciated that the Disney memorabilia was the same price on all Disney resorts and parks. It's easy to feel taken advantage of when buying souvenirs,etc. in the convenience of your hotel. Having the grandeur of Epcot a short 5 minute walk away was the icing on the cake. If someone asked me how to spell "Top-Notch", I would spell it "D-I-S-N-E-Y". You can't go wrong staying at this resort, whether you are there with family or traveling as I was via my convention.

Room Tip: High floor rooms facing the lake
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Prairie_Dusters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Thai first
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Yacht Club after a 3 night stay at Riverside... i had booked here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. but then decided to extend our stay with a few nights at Riverside first, When we arrived we were greeted by name and given a Happy Anniversay... as i had advised them on the on line check in - checkin went smooth everyone very helpful and we had a great room on 4th floor overlooking Crescent Lake and the Boardwalk. However its just lacks something for us, the pool Stormalong Bay was great, though very busy and the ground around the pool gets so hot you burn your feet if your sunbed is too far away from the water. If you use the reflllable mugs and are at the Yacht Club you have a bit of a trek, as you can only fill them up in the Beach Club - the Market Place, Beaches & Cream or by the pool at Hurricane Hannahs... even then it appear to be flat and warm coke.... food choices are also limited.... unlike the moderate resorts where you have several choice for quick service..... here you mainly have table service or a bakery shop....... or the usual fayre if you want to eat outside by the pool.... but again the quick eats are in the Beach Club. We ate Breakfast at the captains grille with the buffet and that was good as always. The walls appeared thin here too, could hear the neighbours and kids running up and down the hallway - no sleeping in can be done here.... and we always had the housekeeping cart for clean sheets parked outside our door every day.. they were also decorating the external part of the hotel, at the end of the corridor and we were woken with sanders going..... this was also by the quiet pool, so it you wanted to lie by that pool for peace,,, then no chance of that, with the noise and workers everywhere... i know they need to maintain the property,,,,,, but really over the 4th July week .... when it was peak time...... On the day of our anniversary though, i expected a card, a balloon or something.. but nothing.... we had booked at Tuttos in Italy, Epcot, for dinner that night, again telling them is was an special occasion on the reservation, but again nothing.,, the meal was rushed, felt we were sat, fed and given the bill in record time, we had our main courses about 5 mins after ordering them and again they made no mention of Happy Anniversary (despite wearing our badges too)..... why ask when reserving if nothing gets said? we had a better italian meal at Mama Melroses at the Studios then here - there it felt they prepared the meal for us as we had to wait a moment or too.... and it was great food too..... the Yacht Club was OK.... but we prefer Riverside.

1 Thank tinkerbell39
Palm Bay, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The rooms were clean and comfortable (I believe every room has a balcony/patio). We booked the hotel to have a few days away from home (we are Florida residents), so we didn't do any of the theme parks. Between the pools, shops and restaurants in the resort and around the Boardwalk there was plenty to do.
We could occasionally hear noise from the other rooms, but nothing significant to spoil my overall experience. The resort is beautiful, great attention to detail, outgoing staff - and a great place to relax. The yacht and beach club also have private pools (besides the amazing sandy-bottom-lagoon-pool) if you are looking for privacy, and (when we were there) it was adults only after 11pm.

1 Thank MissZinn
Boston
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We love the Yacht Club we go every year. We just got back from a 7 night stay we had a great time. We love being able to walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot, we never take the boats they take longer than walking. The staff are all friendly but the hotel needs some better housekeeping and maintenance. Maybe some of the 7 or so management who stand around in lobby should be helping with over seeing the property management instead. Beaches and cream take out window really needs to revamp their system, if their only going to allow you basic choices unlike inside then why is there always an hour wait. They could use someone cleaning off lounge chairs by the pool, we love the lounge chair upgrade by the way but if you still have to spend half an hour finding a seat wits frustrating. We stayed at Portofino Bay this trip as well and the towel guys help you select a lounge chair based on your preference of shade and they clean them off and make you a comfy pillow. Our room was pretty dirty on check in nasty soiled towels in closet and extra pillow and blanket in closet clearly was used and was only thoroughly cleaned meaning vacuuming and cleaning mirrors etc. once the night before we checked out. The porch light is not able to be turned on and off by guests and we requested it being turned off several times took 3 days of asking. The light stayed on all night! Wifi not working in room and we were close to lobby by the wedding gazebo. My one daughter was cold at night and we had to request extra blankets for her several times and they still didn't bring any! And finally we love the pool but duck poop in sand is disgusting! Life guards said no need to clean it as long as its not human poop. We avoided the sand side of pool for the rest of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the quiet pool as far from lobby as possible if you want to rest at some point on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank seekerofcomfort
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family (me, my husband and my three children) just returned from an excellent 7-night stay at the Yacht Club.

We were always greeted and welcomed warmly in the lobby and hallways by the hotel's staff. For any problems during our stay (which there were very few), we were respectfully treated and our problems kindly solved to our satisfaction. The rooms and the hotel are clean, the exterior and the grounds are impeccably landscaped and manicured, and the hotel's theming (and understated "Mickey-Mouseness") is done extremely well (and as detailed as Disney does).

I had my reservations initially about cramming a family of five (our children are 11, 9 and 5) into a pretty-standard-size hotel room with all of our luggage (we were on vacation for two weeks and had two weeks' worth of clothes, shoes, swimsuits, food, toiletries, etc.), but I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to store away all of our clothing and a lot of our food without trouble in the room's ample storage space, which included a tall chest with four drawers; a full-sized closet; and a wide chest with four additional drawers, small fridge and two small food-storage drawers. My daughter slept in the room's daybed, which she thought was very comfortable after sleeping on several pull-out couches in other hotels/condos leading up to our stay in Disney. The only suggestion I could make here is that it would be great if Disney could provide a larger fridge with a small freezer (or have one available to rent) as the one they provide is the smallest "dorm" style mini-fridge on the market and didn't have a freezer for us to freeze our ice packs to pack our drink cooler for the parks. (However, bell services did freeze our ice packs for us, and I kept a cooler in the room stocked with ice for our overflow that didn't fit in the room's fridge.)

The location of the resort in the Epcot circle (Beach, Yacht, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin) is one of the best on property as it is close and convenient to two parks, rather than just one. The walk to Epcot is very short and takes just a few minutes (or you can take a boat, but it was quicker for us to walk), and the boat ride to Hollywood Studios is also just a few minutes away. When we went to the Magic Kingdom, to come back to our room, we would often take the monorail to Epcot and then cut through the park to walk back to the resort.

We stayed in room 1044, which is about as far away from the hotel lobby as you can get, and initially seemed like it took forever to get to, but wasn't nearly as bad or as far away as I thought after I learned my way around the halls and the hotel. After we discovered the quiet pool right outside our room, we came to love the location, and I would request staying by the quiet pool again. We often got back to the room pretty late at night--about an hour or two before the kids needed to go to bed. Rather than go and swim in Stormalong Bay, the kids slipped outside and took a late night swim in the quiet pool while my husband and I soaked in the hot tub or relaxed on the deck chairs. Often we were the only guests out there--it was like having our own pool all to ourselves, which was incredible considering the size of the hotel and the crowds in the park. It was a great way to wind down after a hectic and hot day in the parks.

My kids loved Stormalong Bay--particularly my 5 year old who can't swim but loved being able to dig in the sand--and we decided to skip Typhoon Lagoon and just spend the day at the resort instead once my kids saw how cool the pool and the slide were. Even though the pool is limited to only Yacht & Beach Club guests, the pool does get pretty crowded on a hot summer day, and it can be challenging to find a chair in the shade or a group of deck chairs if you have a larger party. The bathrooms by the pool are the only yucky ones I encountered during our entire stay at Disney (and it seemed we visited at least 50 bathrooms!), but I guess my expectations were fairly high for it being a pool bathroom (that being said, though, the ones by the quiet pool were to Disney standards...)

The downside to the hotel is as follows (and I can hardly count these as downsides since I would enthusiastically recommend the Yacht Club to anyone, and would definitely stay there again):

As noted by a previous reviewer, the Wi-Fi does stink, and my AT&T coverage was spotty (as it was in the park and throughout much of our drive through North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida--obviously not a Disney problem that AT&T stinks in those regions, but I was counting on decent Wi-Fi to make up for my bad AT&T service).

The Yacht Club doesn't have a really great place to refill your resort mugs if you have one and if you're counting on that for drinks. The lounge by the lobby only fills them up to noon; after that, you need to go to Hurricane Hannas (the pool bar), Beaches & Cream or the Marketplace in the Beach Club to refill the mug. If you're coming from the other side of the resort, like we were, it wasn't convenient. It wasn't a huge deal for us since we had our cooler and fridge stocked with water and drinks for us and our kids (plus I'm not a big soda drinker and I don't let my kids drink it, so since those were pretty much our only choices for refills, we weren't really interested in the resort mugs anyway...)

Along those same lines, if you're looking for good counter service meals, there aren't that many to be had in the Yacht Club. Hurricane Hannas provides very basic, not very gourmet or healthy counter service meals (think burgers). We also discovered that you could get a counter service meal at the Beach Club's Marketplace, but I didn't really scan the menu to take note of what they offered (though I remember that it seemed fairly basic, as well). However, it's hard to count this against the resort as a plethora of counter-service food choices are readily available nearby if you have park hopper passes and can get into Epcot to get a better selection of counter service meals, as well as the additional choices that are along the Boardwalk (the bakery can't be missed!). Beaches and Cream is technically a sit-down meal (if you're on the dining plan), but is priced along the lines of a counter-service meal (the quality is similar to counter service, too) if you are paying out of pocket for your meals. There are plenty of good sit-down restaurants in the Yacht and Beach Clubs--we only went to Cape May Cafe (which was very good!), but we had heard great things about Yachtsmen and the Captain's Grille (as well as the Boardwalk restaurants, too).

For our next visit to Disney, it will be hard to pass up the opportunity to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jenlikes2travel_1
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed at the Yacht Club in mid-April of this year, and I must say... it was a perfect time to stay here... not too hot and kids were still in school. I was on corporate travel, so I cannot review regarding pricing, but as for everything else... thumbs up!

Rooms: The rooms must have been updated within the last year, since many pictures show older decor, but the room was wonderful. The detail to the nautical theme is spot-on... not a surprise being a Disney property!

Service: Perfect! I had a slight issue, but the front desk(s) hosts made sure that it was taken care of in a jiffy. There were several of us on this business event trip, and they did a great job spreading us all out throughout the resort to feel less crowded. I don't think I ever felt overwhelmed by the amount of people who were actually in my party.. which was between 75-100. There were several other conventions here at the same time like Chevrolet and then a technology company and I did see them in the mornings obviously walking through the convention center that is attached, but never in the resort itself.

Pool: So cool... mostly a sand bottom pool... it's some kind of heavy plastic material so that it never appeared cloudy (or at least thats what I assume it was) but it did give the effect of sand.
Fun pirate ship slide too... adults get to play too!

Location: GREAT. Being a deluxe Disney resort, of course it's going to be closer to everything... that's the point of staying at a deluxe versus a moderate or value.
We could walk to the Boardwalk in the evenings and be able to do adult things, like go to the bar or eat without children running around. The Crew's Cup on location at the hotel was a nice touch too, it was our night-cap spot.

I did see many families (obviously) but I would bring my friends, boyfriend and family here for sure. I would love to do another business trip to this Disney property. Great stay overall... can't say I have any hiccups about the place.

Thanks Disney!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank mhutz2112
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We spent two nights at the Yacht Club,choosing to stay Concierge Level since being locals, and the weather not looking too promising, we knew that if we had to spend rainy afternoons at the hotel, having the concierge lounge would be beneficial. We arrived at the Yacht Club around 1:30 pm, and as soon as we pulled up, we were greeted by name at curbside. (First time this ever happened and we've stayed at Disney hotels many times, including several times at club level). We were taken up to the fifth floor for check in, which was quick and efficient and our room was ready. We got settled in our room and then checked out the club lounge. They have several different offerings during the day, breakfast, afternoon snacks, evening appetizers and desserts and cordials. The breakfast items were plentiful, bagels, croissants, pastries, fruits; snacks were gummy fish, yogurt pretzels, homemade potato chips (excellent), trail mix and a small amount of fresh fruit. Dinner appetizers were not really to my liking, each day there was a type of seafood, my husband loved the Crab Rangoon, but not the scallops. The only hot appetizer I had was a raspberry-brie puffed pastry which was very good. There was also an assortment of cheese and crackers as well as cold vegetables. We were only there for one night service and they had chocolate-apricot cake and lemon chiffon. One good thing about the Yacht Club concierge lounge was that you had access to the soda refrigerator 24 hours, other resorts like the Wilderness Lodge close up; while Animal Kingdom Lodge empties the refrigerator, so this was a plus.

Our room was standard for Disney deluxe resorts, King bed, flat panel TV, lounge chair. This room did not have a day bed as some of the others do. The balcony was a full balcony with 2 chairs and a table and we overlooked Storm a Long Bay. Although the room was spotlessly clean, when the housekeeper left the room on the second morning, she didn't leave us the same amount of towels and glassware. I'm sure it was an oversight and I just called and requested more towels and they were brought to the room within an hour.

Overall for the price paid, I give it 4 stars. I can't give 5 because compared with the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian club levels, it wouldn't be fair to give them the same grade. Would I stay here again -- yes, if I was going to spend most of my park time at Epcot and/or the Studios because the transportation is excellent.

Room Tip: Since the resort is has long winding corridors, if walking is an issue, ask for a room near the elev...