“The Most Incompetent Hotel Staff in the Nation”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #27 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I had the misfortune of staying at the Wilderness Lodge for five days with my family. The staff had the professionalism one would expect at a third world dump. Room service was virtually non-existent and after two hours or so when the food was delivered it was inedible. The restaurant staffs were rank amateurs, but the prices were set as if they were not and the food was actually recognizable. The rooms were dark and dingy, and the average light bulb put out no more illumination than a candle. Never again!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
10  Thank Jeff1246

Reviewed February 13, 2010

We split our stay between the Polynesian which I also loved and the Wilderness Lodge. The Wilderness Lodge is my favorite hands down. It is so beautiful and serene. The water falls were so relaxing, the geyser, beach, boats, food etc all were amazing. We were in a concierge room and the service was wonderful. The food served was also fantastic. We never went hungry that is for sure. We were able to see the evening water parade from our balcony. It is all under one roof so you don't need to go from building to building. We never had to wait for a boat or bus to go to the parks. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. Our room was very clean and I never heard any noise coming into the room. It was unusually cool when we were here so I didn't get to go in the pool but that also looked great. There are a couple of hot tubs, health club, great restaurants - who could ask for more. If you take the boat to the parks at 7:55 pm you can watch the fireworks from the boat!! Its a secret - don't tell anyone.... I liked the quick service restaurant better than the Polynesian. I love the breakfast bacon, egg and cheese croissant - yum. There isn't a lot of seating in the quick service restaurant and it is busy at peak times so I brought the food back to our room but that was fine. Anyway, you won't be disappointed, it is a beautiful, serene rest from the crazy pace at the parks. Staying on site is the way to go.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travisanti
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Loved loved loved this place! This hotel is so beautiful everytime I walked into it I felt so happy to be staying here. I traveled with my husband, little girl and my parents and we had an amazing time. The theming is great, and it's a great value considering you're at a delux but not paying the higher prices of the other delux hotels. We thought it was a great location as we staying at the Magic Kingdom most of the time and could easily take the boat to and from the park each day. Coming back to the rooms for naps was easy too. We also took the boat to the Contemporary where we could eat or get on the monorail to go to other resorts.

The best part of the hotel was that everytime we walked in to go to our room my daughter (who was about 2.5 at the time said "Mommy we're at the castle" It was so sweet and she just loved it. Lots of Disney magic to be found here. We even had a wonderful lady at the pin station in the lobby who would give our little girl free Tinker Bell pins when we stopped by because she knew she liked them so much.

We are already making plans to go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank JoJoTraveler
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Very nice hotel! Location and transportation is a great reason to stay at the WIlderness Lodge. Staff was nice and food selection was great. Magic Kingdom is a great boat ride away. Needs a little updating in the bathroom, but will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank blessed-mom1
Reviewed February 4, 2010

After a great deal of research, we decided to stay at the WL rather than one of the Disney hotels on the monorail line. The WL was rated the best for families, and it has a boat to the Magic Kingdom, and it is fairly new. We won't be staying there again. Here's why: (1) kids aren't into the decor -- they just want to be in the parks and on rides -- so the State Park theme didn't matter much; (2) the wait for the boat to/from the Magic Kingdom is sometimes short, sometimes quite long and sometimes the boat is an open craft (no walls), and sometimes enclosed -- it was cold when we were there, and it was colder on the boat -- we will definitely stay somewhere on the monorail line next time; (3) the rooms are basic, reasonably clean, but nothing special; (4) you must take the boat or the bus to get anywhere (such as to the other resorts for dinner), which was a bigger hassle than expected; and (5) our room had excellent acoustics from the water, so we heard the boat whistles/toots all day long. All in all, it was not a bad place. It's just further removed that expected. On the plus side, the staff was excellent -- truly helpful. And Roaring Forks makes great sandwiches. And the Mercantile in the lobby sells a half gallon of milk for $3 -- a stunningly good deal given the prices of other food/drink in WDW. We paid under $200 per room for 2 connecting rooms, which was a good deal. But next time I'll pay a bit more just for the monorail option.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Horalky
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I have wanted to stay at the WL for years, and recently took advantage of great FL Resident rates and did so. I am sorry to say, however, that I probably won't be back. Having stayed at several other WDW resorts, I was expecting great service and a nice room, and I didn't really receive either.

When we first arrived at the Lodge, we checked in and were given our room. It was on level 1, which I really wasn't thrilled about, but the check in "cast member" stated that it was currently all they had available. I was a bit taken aback when the "cast member" further stated that she was surprised our room was already cleaned and available for check in. This was at 2:50 PM and check in time was supposed to be after 3:00, even though I had requested our room be available at 2:00.

Upon entering our dark room, I noticed that we were given a king sized bed, even though we had requested two queens, but figured I wouldn't complain since I was so tired from our freezing day at Animal Kingdom. The bed itself was maybe 1.5-2 feet off the floor, which was a bit strange and made it difficult to get in and out of (I'm about 8 months pregnant) They apparently use queen sheets to make the king sized bed, because every time we sat on the bed, one of the corners came off and it was obvious the sheets didn't fit. The bathroom had no tub, which made it hard to bathe my infant son and the fan in the bathroom was malfunctioning and made a constant annoying humming sound. The huge shower was a bit dirty, with many stray hairs throughout each corner and dingy tile grout. These of course are not huge flaws, but I was just disappointed in the room in general. I've had much nicer rooms at the cheaper Port Orleans and Coronado Springs resorts. I later came to find out that we had been given a handicap accessible room, even though I didn't request or need it and would have preferred a regular room.

I also noticed that it seemed to take a long while for room service trays to be cleaned from guests’ doorways. We walked past the same several dirty trays 2 days in a row, which was really gross. I wouldn't expect that level of service from WDW, and I thought that they maybe neglected the rooms on our basement level a little more than the rest of the hotel. It also took forever to have our room cleaned each day. We came back from the parks at 5:00 to the same unmade bed and no clean towels, which was really unacceptable. (Normally I wouldn't care, but since the bed was so jacked up to begin with I couldn't really figure it out or bend down low enough to make it myself)

It wasn't just us who had problems either. My mother and grandmother checked in one day after us. We had requested that our rooms be either connected or close by and they actually put them on the 5th floor. When they checked in (at 4:30 pm) they were given keys to a room that they discovered was already occupied, with Disney bags and luggage to boot. Good thing they are not thieves, because they could have easily swiped someone’s' souvenirs if they wanted to. Upon their asking if a handicap accessible room was available (my grandma is wheelchair bound) they were told that those rooms were only for those “who really needed it”?!? This is obviously hilarious, because I was given such a room even though I obviously didn’t need or want one.

All in all, the grounds are great, the Whispering Canyon and Roaring Fork are pretty good, but my room and the service was definitely lacking. If I do return to another WDW resort, it certainly will not be the Wilderness Lodge. This makes me very sad, as I said I have always dreamed of staying there and had such a substandard experience.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Jesslyn848
Reviewed February 2, 2010

This was a really enjoyable trip, We Have been coming for the last five years and this hotel makes you feel at home, The rooms were pretty well kept and were always cleaned, After years staying at the Contempery it is good to stay here because you feel like a guest insted of a number. Also if you are taking the time to read this let me recommend the BEST RESTURANTS that you MUST TRY if you are on the dinning plan. ALL ARE IN EPCOT
,Le Celeair in Canada Pivillion
. Tu Tu Italia
Coral Reef
Tapan Edo
PLACES NOT TO TRY
Akerchus Royal Dinning Hall
The princesses were a great amusement but the food was terrable and no one ate it
Thanks for reading: )