“Great Location!”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #27 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Very nice hotel! Location and transportation is a great reason to stay at the WIlderness Lodge. Staff was nice and food selection was great. Magic Kingdom is a great boat ride away. Needs a little updating in the bathroom, but will stay there again.

2  Thank blessed-mom1

Reviewed February 4, 2010

After a great deal of research, we decided to stay at the WL rather than one of the Disney hotels on the monorail line. The WL was rated the best for families, and it has a boat to the Magic Kingdom, and it is fairly new. We won't be staying there again. Here's why: (1) kids aren't into the decor -- they just want to be in the parks and on rides -- so the State Park theme didn't matter much; (2) the wait for the boat to/from the Magic Kingdom is sometimes short, sometimes quite long and sometimes the boat is an open craft (no walls), and sometimes enclosed -- it was cold when we were there, and it was colder on the boat -- we will definitely stay somewhere on the monorail line next time; (3) the rooms are basic, reasonably clean, but nothing special; (4) you must take the boat or the bus to get anywhere (such as to the other resorts for dinner), which was a bigger hassle than expected; and (5) our room had excellent acoustics from the water, so we heard the boat whistles/toots all day long. All in all, it was not a bad place. It's just further removed that expected. On the plus side, the staff was excellent -- truly helpful. And Roaring Forks makes great sandwiches. And the Mercantile in the lobby sells a half gallon of milk for $3 -- a stunningly good deal given the prices of other food/drink in WDW. We paid under $200 per room for 2 connecting rooms, which was a good deal. But next time I'll pay a bit more just for the monorail option.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Horalky
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I have wanted to stay at the WL for years, and recently took advantage of great FL Resident rates and did so. I am sorry to say, however, that I probably won't be back. Having stayed at several other WDW resorts, I was expecting great service and a nice room, and I didn't really receive either.

When we first arrived at the Lodge, we checked in and were given our room. It was on level 1, which I really wasn't thrilled about, but the check in "cast member" stated that it was currently all they had available. I was a bit taken aback when the "cast member" further stated that she was surprised our room was already cleaned and available for check in. This was at 2:50 PM and check in time was supposed to be after 3:00, even though I had requested our room be available at 2:00.

Upon entering our dark room, I noticed that we were given a king sized bed, even though we had requested two queens, but figured I wouldn't complain since I was so tired from our freezing day at Animal Kingdom. The bed itself was maybe 1.5-2 feet off the floor, which was a bit strange and made it difficult to get in and out of (I'm about 8 months pregnant) They apparently use queen sheets to make the king sized bed, because every time we sat on the bed, one of the corners came off and it was obvious the sheets didn't fit. The bathroom had no tub, which made it hard to bathe my infant son and the fan in the bathroom was malfunctioning and made a constant annoying humming sound. The huge shower was a bit dirty, with many stray hairs throughout each corner and dingy tile grout. These of course are not huge flaws, but I was just disappointed in the room in general. I've had much nicer rooms at the cheaper Port Orleans and Coronado Springs resorts. I later came to find out that we had been given a handicap accessible room, even though I didn't request or need it and would have preferred a regular room.

I also noticed that it seemed to take a long while for room service trays to be cleaned from guests’ doorways. We walked past the same several dirty trays 2 days in a row, which was really gross. I wouldn't expect that level of service from WDW, and I thought that they maybe neglected the rooms on our basement level a little more than the rest of the hotel. It also took forever to have our room cleaned each day. We came back from the parks at 5:00 to the same unmade bed and no clean towels, which was really unacceptable. (Normally I wouldn't care, but since the bed was so jacked up to begin with I couldn't really figure it out or bend down low enough to make it myself)

It wasn't just us who had problems either. My mother and grandmother checked in one day after us. We had requested that our rooms be either connected or close by and they actually put them on the 5th floor. When they checked in (at 4:30 pm) they were given keys to a room that they discovered was already occupied, with Disney bags and luggage to boot. Good thing they are not thieves, because they could have easily swiped someone’s' souvenirs if they wanted to. Upon their asking if a handicap accessible room was available (my grandma is wheelchair bound) they were told that those rooms were only for those “who really needed it”?!? This is obviously hilarious, because I was given such a room even though I obviously didn’t need or want one.

All in all, the grounds are great, the Whispering Canyon and Roaring Fork are pretty good, but my room and the service was definitely lacking. If I do return to another WDW resort, it certainly will not be the Wilderness Lodge. This makes me very sad, as I said I have always dreamed of staying there and had such a substandard experience.

2  Thank Jesslyn848
Reviewed February 2, 2010

This was a really enjoyable trip, We Have been coming for the last five years and this hotel makes you feel at home, The rooms were pretty well kept and were always cleaned, After years staying at the Contempery it is good to stay here because you feel like a guest insted of a number. Also if you are taking the time to read this let me recommend the BEST RESTURANTS that you MUST TRY if you are on the dinning plan. ALL ARE IN EPCOT
,Le Celeair in Canada Pivillion
. Tu Tu Italia
Coral Reef
Tapan Edo
PLACES NOT TO TRY
Akerchus Royal Dinning Hall
The princesses were a great amusement but the food was terrable and no one ate it
Thanks for reading: )

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank disneyisgreat1
Reviewed February 1, 2010

This was our second trip to Disney and we chose the Wilderness Lodge for the second time because we liked it so much. I am quite picky and I must say everything was extremely good.
The property was maintained so well both indoor and outdoor. This has to be the best deluxe hotel in Disney.
The front desk and room attendants were very friendly and even upgraded us to a bunk bed woods view room which was very clean and perfectly sized.( The rooms are a good size and not small like other have stated !)
Once again I only stay at 5 star properties and this place is a definite 5 star plus !

1  Thank zye01
Reviewed February 1, 2010

As part of my Mother's Birthday celebration, we spent 9 days at Disney Wilderness Lodge. Although the rooms are small, and could use a sprucing up [new comforters, slid guards in bathtub/shower], the entire experience was exceptional. The staff was very helpful, including housekeeping which greeted us each day after our activities with a towel scuplture - rabbit, dog, crown. Although Whispering Canyon could get noisy, it was never obnoxious. The food and service in Artiste Point was absolutely exceptional...one of the reasons for choosing Wilderness Lodge. The only downside was the problem of crowd flow in Roaring Fork...too little space for too many people trying to get breakfast, coffee and somewhere to sit. Wilderness Lodge is a beautiful sight to behold, as well as easy to navigate from one place to another. We appreciated the option of boat or bus to MK...and the ease to Contemporary for the monorail and other connections. Overall, the vacation was perfect in every way but one - too short. See you next year!

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed February 1, 2010

How can you not be impressed by this place? As we pulled up in the Magical Express, the hotel came into view and it was awe inspiring. I know that it is more expensive than other places, but as you walk around the lobby and see the detail and thought that went into this place, its worth it. The rooms are standard, nice big flat screen tv's. The pool area is very nice and had entertainment for kids every day. The boat was convenient to MK and was a nice change from the buses. We never had a problem with the staff or housekeeping, everyone did their job and was very professional. The kids had a great time in the restaurant, the waitstaff are very entertaining and involve the kids in the fun. We went to other resorts for meals, (Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom, Beach club) and these places were insane around mealtime with all the restaurants. That would bother me if I were staying there. The best part about this place is that it seems out of the way, but is very convenient. If you are looking for a peaceful retreat after a busy day at the park this place is for you.