“Can't wait to go back”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #27 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 27, 2006

So wonderful we almost cried when we had to leave. My two kids decided that this was their favorite" Disney attraction," and they love the parks. Very cozy rooms, breathtaking lobby and grounds. Everything you need is right there in the lodge. Pools very nice. (Especially the Hidden Springs Pool if you are looking for quiet!) The details in the rooms, halls and even in the parking lot (copper arts and crafts lighting) are meticulous. We stayed in a studio in the Villas and ate breakfast every morning on our patio with wild birds and even a bunny we named Mickey who came every morning. Buses come frequently to take you to every park and a boat is availible to the Magic Kingdom. Once we parked our car (valet is availible) we never touched it until we regretably had to return home. Definately the place to stay if going to Disney World.

14  Thank UCityJuls

A TripAdvisor Member
Hughesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Just returned from a 7-night stay at the Wilderness Lodge. What a beautiful place! My husband and I traveled with our 7 year old son (who celebrated his birthday while there and received a signed card from Goofy and a chocolate lollipop!) and our 9 year old nephew. The service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and courteous. The pool was awesome for all of us. Our room served our needs well. We had a corner room on the sixth floor. It was very quiet. Although the view outside our room wasn't the greatest, our view of the fireworks from Magic Kingdom was super. The transportation on the boat was an exciting way to travel to Magic Kingdom and the buses that ran to the other parks worked out well. The Mercantile is a fun gift shop. We did not eat in either of the two main restaurants, but did enjoy the Roaring Fork Snack Bar. Delicious breakfasts and sandwiches and lots of other goodies. We will certainly go back...I can't wait!

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2006

I just returned from a family vacation at the Wilderness Lodge. It was my 5 year olds birthday and we recieved an upgrade from standard view to pool view with bunkbeds and I didn't even have to ask. The staff was incredible. They were all very helpful and ready to do anything we asked. It rained every day we were there and we still had a great time. The pool was open late and the girls loved swimming at night when the rain stopped. We ate at The Artist Point and the food was wonderful. I can't reccommend this hotel enough!

15  Thank TinaMarie4
A TripAdvisor Member
Plainfileld Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2006

This was a great hotel
would stay here again
they upgraded our room and made us feel like we were
at home.
It was my daughter's 5th birthday and they even sent her a card.
It was awesome
loved the boats too

Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2006

I am just back from a 4 1/2 day trip to DW with a 17-year-old girl.

We enjoyed our stay at the Wilderness Lodge, despite a few hassles. We arrived late, about 1:30 a.m., were sent to a room about as far away from the front desk as possible, and our room key did not work. We trekked back, got new keys, hiked up to the room, still did not work. On the third trip someone at the desk came with us to open the room ... only to find that it was a smoking room despite my no-smoking request. They did move us to a non-smoking room (with a better view) the next day.

The only other hassle we had was that renovations are taking place right now; it seemed that the pounding sounds never stopped. I just held a pillow over my head to drown them out.

All that aside, I loved the location of this lodge. We took the boat to Magic Kingdom and the bus service to and from the other parks was pretty rapid. You need patience for Disney World ... there are always lines. The bus wait was the least of our issues.

The lodge is beautiful inside and we enjoyed the pool one night. Although I didn't get to physically visit the inside of the other resorts, I liked the location of this one; close to the heart of everything. The rooms were fairly clean (I found a few items on the floors near the bedside table that mousekeeping had not removed from previous guests) and we had a refrigerator which we used for the water and juices we brought with us, plus takeout desserts on nights we couldn't eat ours at table.

We did not get any towels twisted into character shapes (I did leave tips every day with mousekeeping) but that was OK with us.

I recommend the Wilderness Lodge.

16  Thank WeTravel2Learn
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I just returned from the Wilderness Lodge with my husband, pregnant daughter and two grandchildren, ages 5 and 8. We all loved the Wilderness Lodge. We had a deluxe room on the first floor. It had two queen size beds, a pull out bed in a couch in another room, twin sinks outside of the toilet, shower area , a wet bar with a refrigerator under it, a small private porch through sliding doors. We had two T. V's, one in the bedroom and one in the second room. We could close doors between the rooms, even sliding doors to close off the bathroom area. We could all have our privacy when needed. There was a table big enough for four to eat on. The beds were very comfortable, the staff was very friendly and tried to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

I ordered groceries on-line from Goodings grocery and they delivered them the day of our arrival. We ate all of our breakfasts and snacks and also some lunches in the room. Since the food in the parks and the hotel is pricey, that helped our budget quiet a bit.

We ate at the Whispering Canyon restaurant and Roaring Forks counter service in the hotel. They both served good food, but a little on the pricey side. We found that to be true throughout the Disney World properties. The Whispering Canyon had a fun atmosphere that the kids enjoyed. They got to ride stick horses around the restaurant and sing with the staff. The staff also would joke with the customers quite a bit. My daughter asked for some mayonaise and they brought out a five gallon container full of mayonaise. Don't eat there if you are looking for a quiet meal, it's not for you!

The lobby was breathtaking, be sure to spend time looking at it closely, the details are great. You can find places to sit on the upper floors surrounding the Lobby. I found a quiet place to sit by a fireplace one early morning while the rest of the family slep in.

The kids loved the pool. The water slide was attractively done, going around boulders. There were two hot tubs side by side that my husband and I enjoyed one evening. The water was not too hot, which we have found to be the case at other hotels. My daughter loved the smaller quiet pool around the corner from the big pool, it was surrounded by trees and had one hot tub, but no slide.

The transportation worked out very well. The buses were easy to figure out and ran every few minutes. I think the longest that we waited for a bus was about 15 minutes. We enjoyed the boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom. It was a short ride and relaxing. The boats ran pretty regularly too. We only waited a few minutes for a boat most trips that we made on them.

The only down side to our trip was the credit card like keys to our room that also acted as our tickets to the parks. We had trouble using them in the fast pass machines to get a special time for the rides. Out of 5 cards, we had trouble with all of them. We had to turn them in at the front desk each day of our trip to get new cards issued when they quit working. At one park, my husband's and my card would not work to get in. We had to step out of line and have them make new cards for us right there. The problems with the cards were very time consuming and I plan to write a letter to customer relations concerning our problems with the passes.

I would go to the Wilderness Lodge again and recommend it to others.

25  Thank vacation-alcoholic
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My husband a I just got back from 5 nights there, and I didn't want to leave. The building and grounds are gorgeous, and there is a geyser that goes off every hour. Our room was $310 a night, more than we usually pay, but it was worth it. The staff was efficient and friendly. My only complaint is that Disney has a lock on the food, so if you want McDonald's or Domino's Pizza, forget it. I enjoyed watching the families have such a great time in the pool. There were a zillion kids! We had ducks and rabbits outside our room patio, that was the wilderness part.

14  Thank HoneyCom