“Great Place”

Ranked #26 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
NYC
“Great Place”
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My husband a I just got back from 5 nights there, and I didn't want to leave. The building and grounds are gorgeous, and there is a geyser that goes off every hour. Our room was $310 a night, more than we usually pay, but it was worth it. The staff was efficient and friendly. My only complaint is that Disney has a lock on the food, so if you want McDonald's or Domino's Pizza, forget it. I enjoyed watching the families have such a great time in the pool. There were a zillion kids! We had ducks and rabbits outside our room patio, that was the wilderness part.

14 Thank HoneyCom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Korean first
Maumelle, Arkansas
Reviewed May 29, 2006

We visited Disney World May 1st-6th, and we stayed at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. It is a spectacular hotel. It was everything that we expected. Our room was close to the lobby so we didn't have to walk very far to get to the restaurants and gift shop. The swimming pools are wonderful. The view of the lake and swimming pools from the 5th floor is also wonderful. I also like the idea of being able to take a boat to some of the parks, and not have to take the bus. We could see the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from our balcony every night. There was some construction going on right above our room, and we did request to change rooms. There were not any other rooms available at the time, so the hotel gave us a rebate on our account. That was the only inconvenience that we encountered during our stay. We will definitely stay there again when we go back. I would also like to mention that we ate at all the restaurants at the hotel, and the food was very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

18 Thank jennifermc
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2006

We have been to WDW 40+ times and have stayed inside at the Polynesian, Caribbean, Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Wilderness Lodge is our favorite. The restaurants serve a good menu, there is a takeout place that is quick and good. The boats serve the Magic Kingdom and are a much more pleasant ride than the monorail. We get a room with the bunk beds for our two teenagers and save by not having to get a second room. One tip is to get at least one annual pass, this saved us over $1000 for the week since there are special deals for pass holders. If you go to disney every year, you should really think about the annual pass. Annual pass holders who stay outside of disney get free parking which really adds up as well.

• Stayed September 2005
18 Thank Vanderneucker
Athens, GA
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Stayed in early May, first time at Wilderness Lodge. I had done months of researching on the internet as well as making calls to disney to find a quiet hotel to stay at that wasnt going to be under major refurbishment or construction. Before I made reserv. , I spoke directly to wilderness staff on phone as well as disney and they assured me no construction going on. Staff told me I needed to book the more expensive room (courtyard) instead of standard or woodsview to ensure a more peaceful room(away from service entrances,e tc. When we checked in, something was already not right. (took 45 minutes to check me in - also had problems getting my dining plan and park tickets to me) Before I made my request known again theywanted to send me to animal kingdom lodge(overbooked here) I said no that I had 4 year old and most of our time would be spend at MK and that why we booked here. I also reminded staff that I wanted as quiet a room possible, and was there any construct going on. They said no and put us on 5th floor far right wing over pool area. A few days into our stay we started coming back to room for a much needed nap, only to find drilling, jackhammering,, buzz sawing, etc right above us. called front desk and they seemed nonchalant about situation. the elevator wouldnt go up to 6th floor for some reason so i decided to walk up the stairs to see what was going on. THE WHOLE FLOOR WAS BEING STRIPPED AND RENOVATED (MAJOR CONSTRUCTION) Needless to say i was beyond LIVID after spending a total of $4,000 for our vacation to be on a construction site. I spoke with a manager who said he would take 10% off. at first i agreed to this but when the last morning came, the one day we didnt have to get up ata 6:15 to get to park early and wanted to sleep in, we were rudely awakened at 7:20 am by electric saws and hammering. I complained again and they took 25% off. I'm still really upset bc many of the disney staff directly lied to us and apparently by the looks of things the renovations had been going on for awhile. ON a different note, pillows and beds were great (but shins were banged up from bed corners) room was a bit run down but adequate quality for what little time we spent there. 4 year old liked vintage disney shorts on tv adn he loved the pool area and watching the bunnies eat in the gardens. whispering canyon had good service and great food(super cornbread) 5 minutes or less on bus to MK- about 25 minutes by boat. Using bus to epcot was about 20 minutes bc of stop at fort wilderness and 25 minutes to MGM and AK. Had to time buses right in morning - sometimes had to wait 15 minutes, sometimes 5-10 for a bus. Longer wait when waiting for bus at the parks to return back to lodge. ROom walls were kind of thin bc we could hear baby crying next door to us and people talking. Housekeeping pretty decent-when I called and said the housekeeper didnt replinish the coffee, the sent up a whole bag instead of just one. They also left my son animal washcloths each day (and we tipped a couple of bucks each day for this). Went during grad night weekend-dont really recommend this bc we could hear fireworks at 12:00 and 3:00 am at MK. Roaring forks cafe was pretty good and mercantile was a really neat place to shop but food was pricey there. (might want to bring your own cereal or bagels and keep in room for breakfast. ) Airport check in from hotel was very swift and convenient. OVerall, if you want a quiet place to stay I don't recommend it, or if you expect better quality than a holiday or days inn I don't recommend it. Proximity to the park did make this hotel VERY appealing however if you plan on spending most of your time at the MK.

• Stayed May 2006
15 Thank bishopbeachfamily
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed May 13, 2006

We have stayed at several Disney resorts (Contemporary, French Quarter, Caribbean Beach & Coronado Springs) and I think the Wilderness Lodge just became our new favorite.

We stayed for a long weekend at the WL on the Concierge floor and were lucky enough to be upgraded to a honeymoon suite. The Concierge floor was great - essentially there were snacks and drinks available throughout the day, which was a great treat in between comings/goings. It should be noted that some guests treat this privilege as if it is a restaurant, which is NOT meant to be. The floor was large with many areas set up for eating, resting or tv viewing.

Our room was not huge, but it was clean and comfortable. One night there was a roach inside the bathroom drain trying to climb up from the drainpipe, but we flushed it back with water and had no further problem. We had a small balcony from which we could see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom each night. The openness of the lobby can really carry up all of the noise below, so we were pleasantly surprised at how quiet our room was. The bed was comfortable enough and there were plenty of pillows for a change. Also included in the room were a small wall safe, refrigerator, its own temperature control (NOT motion detected), and a ceiling fan.

The hotel itself is beautiful, very large and well done. Although the hotel was crowded, it never seemed overly so. The pool was warm and again, though crowded, not unbearably so. There is a small soft sand beach with chairs overlooking the waterway, which is near where you can catch a boat to the Magic Kingdom.

We ate at the Artist Point restaurant on our last night. The food was really good, though our waiter was incredibly unattentive. Our dining experience would have been nearly 45 minutes less had he actually we remembered we existed. Hopefully you will have better luck because the food is worth checking out.

As always, the best perk about staying on Disney property is the use of Disney transportation and not having to worry about driving/parking. The most we waited at the hotel was 5 minutes for a bus and 15 minutes at the park for a return bus.

If you are interested in a deluxe resort, definitely give Fort Wildnerness a try. Our last experience at a deluxe resort was at the Contemporary and it was so awful we vowed not to waste our money. We are very glad we changed our mind and decided to try one more deluxe resort - we'll definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2006
20 Thank srcondos
whiteplains, ny
Reviewed May 11, 2006

Our first stay in many years on Disney property. Arrived Friday and left Monday.
What a treat. No need to rent a car, with Magical Express and the boat and buses
from resort. No fighting parking lines, and sooo easy to leave resorts at end of evening.
Never waited more than 15 minutes for buses. Longest wait was checking into Magical
Express line to get to park (they could improve this a little).

Lodge itself is beautiful as everyone says. Very relaxing, heated pool w/slide and a quiet
pool near villas. Food choices good, with ability to take boat over to Contemporary for more food choices on Monorail system. We ate at self-serve for breakfast at lodge.
Reasonably priced. This trip we tried the meal plan. I think we did well with it.
More food than I would normally eat as it included appetizer and dessert for dinner.

Room was average. Towel animals were cute. We had a horrible view of loading dock
with trucks backing in and beeping in morning. We were there 3 nights and I was going
to complain, but didn't feel like changing rooms after we unpacked. Our room was average
on condition and cleanliness. Sink faucets had caked up soap on them and not very clean.
Wallpaper peeling in bathroom. But overall fine.

Overall value for being at Disney was fine. Definately cheaper to stay outside and rent a car, but for a short trip, we would never have been able to do as much in the parks without being close by and having opportunity for evening magic hours. Would definately go again, but may try Polynesian next time if price is right!

Stayed April 2006
11 Thank howard2004
Milltown, NJ
Reviewed May 10, 2006

My family stayed in a room with 2 queen beds (The beds have large wooden frames around them.) On our first day at the hotel, my 2-year old daughter caught her foot on one of the bed frames and went head first into the corner of the other bed frame. She needed more than 20 stitches to close the cut on her nose! When we complained to the management about the beds, the manager's solution was to have housekeeping wrap towels around the corners of the bed frames. I was very disappointed in the hotel and even more disappointed in the management's lack of concern for my daughter's well-being.

Stayed March 2006