“Memorable Stay!”

Ranked #33 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Spearfish, South Dakota
“Memorable Stay!”
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Warm and Welcoming Lodge feel. Beautifully kept facility and grounds. Convenient access to the parks ~ the kids loved taking the ferry boats.
We really enjoyed our Disney Vacation ~ having a great place to rest our heads at night....made the the trip even better!!
Nobody does it like Disney!

• Liked — Attention to detail
  • Disliked — A little pricey
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank MomsView

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at Disney's Wilderness Lodge from Oct 3rd - Oct 6th for a girls' weekend. We fell in love with the Wilderness Lodge in 2000 during our first family Disney vacation. This was our 3rd stay, and I have to say that I think this was the best yet.

We arrived at around noon after a VERY tough morning (missed our flight, had to re-book with another airline...NOT a great way to start a vacation with a 4 year old!), and were pleased to learn that we had been upgraded from a standard view to a courtyard view. Having stayed in a courtyard view previously, I knew that rooms facing the main pool could be very loud, so I asked for a quieter room where my daughter could nap mid-day. The cast member went to her manager, and to a certain computer to find us a wonderful room with a view of the villas pool and a sideways view of the beach and lake~room 4158. It was lovely to come back to the hotel and sit out on the balcony listening to the soft music coming from the villas while my daughter napped.

On previous visits, we felt that the decor in the rooms had been a bit tired looking and in need of refreshing, and I was so happy to see that this room had recently been renovated. The furniture, double sinks and vanity, carpet and bedding all seemed fresh and new and sparkling clean. I would definitely recommend asking for a renovated room; it was a pleasant surprise.

Mousekeeping was great...towel animals every day, and my daughter's princess accessories were always arranged creatively arround the room. Our room was always made up by the time we came back for a nap around 2:00 each day, and we always had plenty of towels and toiletries. We had a limited view of the Electrical Water Pageant from our balcony, but found it much nicer to view from one of the outdoor verandahs on the 4th or 5th floor off the lobby. The only negative about the rooms is that they are small...perfect for 2 or maybe 3 people, but a family of 4 would have a tough time.

We had a few quick meals at Roaring Forks and was impressed with the selection of grilled items, sandwiches, soups and grab-n-go items. We got our dinner to go the first night after an ehausting day, and it was a nice change from the hustle and bustle of the restaurant to have a quiet meal in our room. If you are a coffee or soda drinker, the refillable mugs for $12.99 + ta are a great value...and a nice souvenir. I probably got my money's worth by the second day with my drinks as well as filling up on drinks for my daughter on the way out to the parks. You can also fill a cup with ice water for no charge...another great way to save a little money.

We also ate dinner one night at Whispering Canyon, and were disappointed. Our food took nearly an HOUR to get to our table, and by that time, my daughter was melting down. When I asked if HER food could at least be brought out (what does it take to put some mac-n-cheese on a plate with some fruit?), our server apologized for the "slight delay" (?!) and brought our food. We've had good luck at this restaurant in the past, so I'm guessing it was just an off night, or our server was just poor. Either way, the food was good and it is a fun place for the kids. It was also nice to be home already after dinner...no bus, boat or monorail ride to get to bed!

The weather was hot and humid, so we were able to take advantage of the pool a couple of times. My daughter LOVED the shallow kids pool, and I had a blast just watching her with my feet in the water. I also had a surprisingly good Margarita from the Trout pass pool bar.

The location of this resort was ideal for us since we only visited Magic Kingdom and Epcot this trip. The boat ride to MK is so convenient and enjoyable, and I was able to roll my daughter right onto the boat without having to break down the stroller. This was a lifesaver on those frequent occasions when she was too tired to walk. We also took the boat to the Contemporary, and then hopped on the monorail to get to Epcot...again, no need to break down those strollers...HIGHLY recommended.

All-in-all, this is a WONDERFUL resort with fantastic Disney service and all the amenities you would epect from a high-end accommodation. Staying here is a vacation unto itself, and such a pleasant respite from the crazy busy Disney theme parks. My daughter had such a great time skipping through the lobby, across the bridge over the bubbling spring, shopping in the Mercantile, and just eploring the many nooks and crannies around the resort. I would stay here again without hesitation. We'll be heading back to Disney in September '09 with the whole family, and would happily stay here if we weren't travelling with 5 people. We'll be trying out the Polynesian, but will miss our home at the Wilderness Lodge.

• Liked — Location, architecture, service
  • Disliked — Poor meal at Whispering Canyon, small rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank lschmitty
Tennessee
Reviewed October 7, 2008

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are nice and spacious. Every room has its own balcony. The pool was large and never too crowded. They have a beach next to the pool with a playground. While eating outside there are rabbits, birds and ducks around everywhere! The ducks even swam in the pool with us. The landscaping of the pool is beautiful. And the lobby is unbelievable! I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — The landscaping, pool and scenery.
  • Disliked — no WiFi
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank seb0929
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We had a fantastic stay at the Wilderness Lodge in Disney World. The building is beautiful, you can sit and stare at the lobby for hours and not get bored. Our room was clean and neat and our bed was very comfortable.

We liked the convenience of having the snack service down stairs and no a mile walk away like other resorts on disney property.

Transportation was great, you can boat to the Magic Kingdom or to the other resorts on Bay Lake, or you can take a bus to the other parks. All the conveniences of a deluxe without the huge price of staying on the monorail.

We booked again for next year and will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge again.

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — Bus service was sometimes slow.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alfritz77
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 30, 2008

The Wilderness Lodge is great choice when visiting Disney. While the location gives the feeling being in a remote, peaceful wilderness, you are actually quite close to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The boat travel to and from the Magic Kingdom is a real treat.

The public areas are what rate the Wilderness Lodge above average. The lobby is simply stunning, the pool area is beautiful and there are plenty of nooks and crannies in which to relax with coffee, an adult beverage or a book.

The rooms are showing some wear and, in my book, rate as average. Once nice feature is the double sinks outside the bathroom--great for more than one person trying to get ready. My courtyard view room had a great view of the pool area and part of the lake.

This hotel can be expensive as compared to non-Disney hotels of the same caliber. However, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for the lovely public areas, proximity to attractions and feeling of being immersed while at Disney.

• Liked — beautiful public areas; serenity
  • Disliked — average room for the price paid
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
7 Thank Sidhuri
Augusta, Ga
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We go to Disney every year with our 2 toddlers and this was our first stay at Wilderness Lodge. The views were beautiful - the kind that photograph amazingly well. Our tried and trusty stroller broke on the 2nd day of the vacation and we were still able to find transportation from WL to everywhere we wanted to go (Hollywood Studios, Epcot and MK) without having to collapse our stroller (our only option of salvaging its usage for the remainder of the trip).

The Disney food prices always seem high to me, especially for the experience of dining with toddlers but the casual dining cafe was nice to have access to and of course the refillable mugs are such a great deal - coffee, soda, hot chocolate, etc.

Our room was a standard room in the main lobby and the noises from the lobby and the lobby restaurant penetrated well into our room but once we were all asleep at 9 or some crazy early hour none of us were disturbed throughout the night, amazingly enough. And I'm a light sleeper. The rooms seemed a little dirty (similar to rustic cabin feel) but I'm kind of nutty about cleanliness, especially with little ones, and that's the main reason i didn't give this hotel a 5.

There is so much to do at the hotel. Of course the pool but there is also a beach access with a little playground and lounge chairs that provide a peaceful & quiet rest. And the hot tub (there are 2!) is wonderful! I wish I was back. This was a vacation we were so unwilling to leave - pretty rare for a 7 day trip!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank famtraveler23
blaine,tn
Reviewed September 27, 2008

We stayed at the lodge Sept 21-26. We are a couple in our early thirties with no children. We used the magical express transportation from the airport and had no major issues other than long lines to check in for the buses. We arrived at the lodge and waited a short time in line for check in but our room was ready at 1:30 pm so we were happy. The room was a bit on the small side but was ok for just the two of us. The decor was ok but honestly the room was smaller than a Holiday Inn type room.
Mousekeeping did a really good job with keeping the room clean and fresh towels for us. The grounds are really nice at the lodge. You will really appreciate how quiet and relaxing the lodge is after standing in long lines everyday. The pool is great and the trout pass pool bar is a nice place to check ballgame scores on the flat screen. We only used the Roaring Fork for bottled water but didnt eat there. The boat service to the Magic Kingdom was always efficient. We never waited more than five minutes. The bus service to other parks was ok but we did wait about 25 minutes one morning for the Hollywood Studios bus. Most other waits were 10 minutes or less. We used the resort airline check-in which is located outside the lobby in the front. It really sped things up not having to stop at the airline counter at the airport. Overall this was an awesome stay. I forgot to mention that we rented a sea racer boat at the wilderness and took a tour of the lake around the magic kingdom, grand floridian, polynesian and fort wilderness. It was cool to see those places from the water at you own leisure. The only major complaint we have with this hotel is the noise level in the rooms. You can really hear everything going on around you in other rooms and in the hallway. We read this in the unofficial guide to disney and man were they right. Some of it was due to excited children coming back from the parks but at midnight when you are in bed its not fun to listen to it. I dont blame the kids but do blame the parents on that. Any questions please drop a message. If you've booked the Wilderness then you should look forward to it. I dont think it gets much better at Disney than this place.

• Liked — theme, friendly staff
  • Disliked — check in staff were not much help very abrasive
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple