“Loved the relaxation of the wilderness.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #34 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
West Covina, California
“Loved the relaxation of the wilderness.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Was extremely overwhelmed by the wilderness Lodge not just the hotel but the access to everything within the lodge. The pools, the jacuzzi, and the lake behind it. It really did give the feel of staying in the wilderness. At night the view by the lake is breath taking.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank marina s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Staff all very friendly , food was good, pool area was great. Only thing I can fault is that the corridors are slightly dated and the elevator was out of service for the duration of our stay. Park transportation is excellent and efficient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JD S
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed here as a family of four (all adults) during the last week of March2014.

The hotel lobby is breath-taking when you first walk in, which makes check-in easy. The lady at check-in was very helpful, our room was ready straight away, and she gave us our magic bands for room access. She explained how to use them and made it sound very easy.

Rooms are fine - nothing special. They have a double bed and a bunk bed in each. I would say they are a little too dark for my liking but this was our second stay and both times we have been facing the woods. Maybe the rooms are a little brighter if you are facing the pool. They are still very clean, big enough, and have all the basic amenities. The Disney touches everywhere are lovely - with squirrels carved into the wood of the bed frames, and towels twisted into the shape of Mickey Mouse.

The hotel itself is brilliant. The pool is huge and well themed with waterfalls and bridges. There is also a small lap pool and jacuzzi in a quieter area if, like us, you aren't there with children. There isn't a lifeguard present at this pool with signs stating this - but there are several present at the main pool.

The pool bar is great and fully stocked. They serve every cocktail imaginable - be sure to bring your ID, at 26 years old I had to show it every time. Rightly so too! They make a gorgeous white sangria. The views from the bar are beautiful - you overlook the boats coming in from the theme parks and surrounding Disney hotels - and they have a huge geyser that erupts every 15 minutes or so. They also have a beach area nearby that shows films of a night time. Plenty of loungers around the beach and all pool areas.

The help desk at Wilderness Lodge was brilliant. On our first morning we wanted to purchase Disney tickets so we spoke to Kirk and he was fantastic. He loaded our week long tickets onto our magic bands and told us exactly how to use them, and they were instantly ready to use. He also told me to download the Disney My Experience app which was fantastic - from the comfort of your hotel room you could book your fast pass tickets for the whole week, dinner reservations, you could check queue and parade times, park opening hours. It was great! We also asked Kirk if we could possibly dine at Be Our Guest restaurant in Magic Kingdom that night, he laughed! Apparently there's an 8 week wait. But after a few minutes he had booked us an 8:30pm table there for the next night! I think we were very lucky on that occasion!

We ate at the Roaring Forks restaurant for breakfast on the first day and, whilst it may have been a little too themed for us, it was still great. If you want ketchup you have to shout right across the restaurant, and the previous guests who asked for it bring about 15 bottles over to you. As we were all adults, and just off a 10-hour flight it might have been a little too fun for our first morning but I imagine great for kids.

The sports bar is lovely and open pretty late. The food is amazing - try the truffle fries and the flat breads, they are some of the best food we ate all holiday.

The restaurant, Artiste Point, was nice. We went one night during bad weather to save leaving the hotel and it was pretty good. Maybe a little too pretentious for a Disney hotel - seemed more formal that when we dined in Disney's Floridian which was a surprise. Very expensive - nice for a celebration but definitely an adult restaurant more than anything.

The location of Wilderness Lodge is amazing. It is situated in the Magic Kingdom resort (I think) and is a short boat or bus ride away from everything. The buses are so regular to all theme parks, making it easy to nip over to a park for a dinner reservation. Thanks to the bus system we were sometimes visiting two or three parks per day.

Finally, it was our 20th visit and my dad asked the front desk if they could think of anything special we could do to celebrate as a family. What they did was fantastic. They gave us a tour of the lodge, including the concierge floor which we had considered upgrading to (looked pretty good) and then they took us on the roof of the Wilderness Lodge to watch the 'Wishes' fireworks at Magic Kingdom. What an experience!

Overall, fantastic hotel that I would recommend to anyone. If you are a family of young and not-so young adults like us then I think it is the ideal Disney hotel to stay in. We will be returning next year!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank charlotte d
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We enjoyed our time here last October! The grounds were gorgeous, and the staff was overly nice and accommodating. They helped us many times. We did not do the dining package, and it worked well for us. One night my husband wanted to order pizza from Papa Johns, and the front desk staff not only provided the number, but offered to call it in for us and bring it to our room.

The room was quiet, comfortable, and clean. Had a wonderful time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank specialkOkc
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

You cant fault Disney. They wrote the book on Service Design before the rest of us dreamed up the concept. Having stayed at Contemporary and Animal Kingdom, Wilderness comes out top. The grounds are perfect, the facilities spot-on and the staffs is Disney. So, welcome home. The boat service takes you to most other resorts or a 10 minute boat hop takes you to Contemporary and the monorail. My secret smile moment? Listening to other guests complain about the place. My current favourite is a woman complaining that she could not fill up with free Fanta in her Disney mug because it ran out. A staff member pointed her to another dispenser two metres away. Her response? "I feel persecuted". Some people should get out of the house more and stop trying for a free fastpass. Disney continues to set the standard and if you work in any service industry, my advice would be come to Wilderness Lodge and copy everything they do.

Room Tip: If kids having a good time in the pool until 10.00pm bothers you, request room away from the pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pauleaston
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I took my wife and 2 small children to the Wilderness Lodge for 5 nights of our much anticipated first Disney experience. I was pretty excited, as I'd read such good reviews of the hotel. I now know how the term "Mickey Mouse Operation" came about. My experience - from check in to check out - was very disappointing.

At check in, we literally had to step over bags of garbage piled at our room door to get in. The view was of a pond with garbage floating in it. Employees had a very limited knowledge of the hotel, the workings of the Disney theme parks, the transportation, and especially the food plan (TIP: do NOT sign up for the food plan. Nobody at Disney knows how it works. It's stressful, time-consuming, and won't save you money).

I would get 3 different answers from 3 different employees for questions like "where is the gym?". Nobody working there understood how the food plan is supposed to work, or why an 18% gratuity was added to the Mickey Hoe Down even though there were no wait staff or buss people. You feed yourself, clean up after yourself, and are forced to leave a $35 tip (4 adults, 2 kids) for the privilege. The table wasn't even set properly - we had to ask other diners for things like napkins. When I asked employees "who exactly are we tipping?", I got rambling guesses and shrugs with "That's Disney!", as if that explained it.

When visiting Disney, it is critical to have your fastpass and meal reservations down ahead of time, because you cannot realistically change them that day unless your want to switch the times to after 11:00 PM. The problem is the transportation, or rather that the employees of the Wilderness Lodge have no knowledge of how long it takes to get to the parks. I was told that the bus took 20-40 minutes (and never more than 40!) to get to Hollywood Studios from the Wilderness Lodge. It took 1 hour and we missed our fastpass reservation for a popular ride. The next available spot for that ride? 11:45 PM! The same thing happened the next day going to the Animal Kingdom. Again we were told 20-40 minutes, and never more than 40! It took 1 hour and 10 minutes, and again we missed a popular ride. It shouldn't be that hard to teach employees how long the buses take to get around.

The final event that brought me to "Never again with Disney" was at checkout. Again, nobody knew how the Disney Magical Express bus system worked to get us to the airport. I talked to 5 Wilderness Lodge employees, and they all were confused and uncertain about how it worked. When I got out front with my bags, I noticed that they had a kiosk to check your bags directly to the airlines. I talked to 5 employees, and nobody brought this up! Of course, you needed to check your bags 3 hours in advance, and I discovered the service 2 hours and 50 minutes before my flight. When I talked to the bag check person, he laughed and said "Didn't you get an envelope on your door explaining this? Why didn't you get it?". He talked to me as if it was my fault I didn't get the envelope at my door.

The pool at the resort was well run, and the life guards were attentive. But overall, at the Wilderness Lodge, you pay first class prices for third class service. I put the blame firmly at the feet of management - they should be embarrassed by the product they put forth. Avoid this place if you value a well-run resort hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
21 Thank PetermY9332RK
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Disney really is amazing - the place is like a giant wood cabin! Everything fits the theme, right down to menu items and the lamps in the bedrooms. We chose this one as we were only planning to go to Magic Kingdom. This worked well for us. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom was fun, different and efficient. We were able to come back for a siesta mid-afternoon, then head back to the park to take in some more rides and the parade. The rooms are nice, the pool is great, and even though you can't swim in the lake it provides a lovely setting. The only average thing was the food, ok taste and expensive, but I read that is a common complaint about the Disney resorts. Overall, well worth the experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family