“Beautiful place! Loved it!”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #31 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We spent a night at the Wilderness Lodge in February 2014. This place is incredible! Absolutely beautiful place! Check in was a breeze! A woman with an IPad caught us at the door and walked us in and checked us in within four minutes. Our room was on the fourth floor north wing facing the pond. Fantastic view of the pool area! The pool is very nice, I loved that they provide life jackets for the kids and that the kiddie pool is huge. The lifeguards are great, in constant motion watching everything at all times. Great games for kids by the kiddie pool. THe white sand beach is very nice. The landscaping is great with wooded walkways, waterfalls and the geyser that goes off every hour. We dined at the cafe for breakfast, the waitstaff is 'fresh' and if you ask for ketchup you will be mobbed by every child in the place bringing you a bottle. Very good service. The food was good although pricey (this is Disney, they get you in the prices). However a nice surprise was that on getting my coffee from Roaring Forks in the morning, refills are free for two hours after purchase. Had an evening drink at the Territory Lounge and had the nachos which were VERY good. The gift shop is a good size, only wish they had more size options on the shirts (small/xlarge/xxlarge only). THe lobby is beautiful and the chairs so comfortable. I wasnt there long enough to explore fully, but there are little sitting areas scattered throughout the lodge. I cannot say enough about the transportation. We took a boat to the Contemporary resort, then the monorail to the Poly and Grand Floridian to check them out. Later took a boat back to the Wilderness then a bus to Downtown Disney and back. Our longest wait for ANY of these transportations was about 20 seconds. FANTASTIC. Thoroughly impressed with the transportation. Our room was spotless and a great size with a roomy balcolny. Beds very comfortable. Top notch. This was our first stay in a 'deluxe' Disney resort and we loved every minute of it. Having checked out three other resorts this trip (see above) hands down the Wilderness Lodge is the best of these (and priced better!) You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms offer a great view of the pool/pond.
6  Thank Cochise1CT
Write a ReviewReviews (3,648)

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed here with 2 other ladies for a long weekend as we were all doing the Princess Half Marathon. (For anyone wanting to stay here for a runDisney race, we had no problems with transportation at all.) I have stayed at GF and Contemporary before, so I was excited to see this place for comparison. The lobby is gorgeous and our room was your typical Disney room. We had a woods view on the 2nd floor. Not really much of a view in my opinion, but we didn't care. We park hopped one day, but drove. One of the ladies and I did take the boat ride back from MK. It was fairly quick and a nice ride although I must admit I am spoiled by the convenience of the monorail resorts.

We ate breakfast in the quick service, Roaring Fork, two days. The food was great although the dining area itself was a little small. Although come to think of it, it is probably a little bigger than the one at GF if you discount all the games in the GF quick dining area. After the race we hung out by the pool. The pool was very nice and it had a water slide and a couple of hot tubs. We didn't have our kiddos with us, but there were fun trivia games going on that the other kids seemed to enjoy. We spoke to some Florida residents who were there for the weekend and they said they come to this pool often bc it is one of their fave Disney properties. The pool bar was nice as we were on a mommy vacay after all.

Overall impression was definitely a nice place. I would love to bring the kids here once. I personally feel as though all of the Deluxe resorts are overpriced based on the rack rate, but definitely worth if you can get a discounted rate. We were splitting the room price and had a Disney discount so glad we got a deal to try this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Momof2lilboys
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge in November 2013. The Christmas decorations are spectacular. The location is great and the buses were all very efficient. The rooms are nice with great theming and comfy beds. The pool was warm enough for November weather although it was a little too cold for us to swim at night.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank scampbelle
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the WL. We've stayed at The Beach Club, The Yacht Club, The Polynesian, The Grand Floridian, The Contemporary, and the moderate resort Port Orleans. We decided to stay at WL because of its proximity to Magic Kingdom, and since the monorail was down during our stay during the day, it wasn't worth paying monorail prices. The resort is beautiful. I think that it and the Poly have the most beautiful grounds and common areas. We really did feel like we were in the Pacific Northwest. Our room was very clean, as was the entire resort. All the staff was very friendly helpful. The pool is beautiful and the geyser is a great touch. Gorgeous waterfalls, trees, paths, the beach, and the nightly light parade on the water. We had a woods view facing the villas, but we mostly saw trees and even a large portion of the lake and nightly parade. I will say the rooms are a bit small- the GF, Poly, and Contemporary have bigger rooms.

We were pretty spoiled after staying at the Poly last May- it is hands down the most convenient Disney resort, since you are two stops away from MK via monorail and a 5 minute walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center to catch the monorail to Epcot. You can access MK via boat or bus from WL. Definitely not as quick as being on the monorail, and we had a few days where the boats weren't running in the morning due to fog. We took a bus to Epcot, and the wait was 40 minutes because of the stupid half marathon going on at Epcot, which Disney did not advertise. We were committed to going to Epcot this day due to dining reservations. But all of our bus rides back were quick, and it was a smooth process getting to Hollywood Studios.

I thought the food at WL was pretty bad. Quick service at Roaring Forks had limited options, and the actual sit down restaurant was HORRIBLE. My husband and in-laws waited 30 minutes for a table at 2pm, even though the restaurant wasn't full. It then took an additional 40 minutes for their food to arrive, and it was sub par at best. They also do this stupid thing where the servers scream for whatever condiment you ask for- so if someone asks for ketchup, the waiter screams ketchup and any diner who has ketchup has to bring it to whomever has asked. It is OBNOXIOUS and so stupid. Forget having a relaxing meal anywhere at this hotel unless you eat outside.

We are going back in December, and since the Poly is undergoing construction we are going back to the Grand Floridian. Given the age of our daughter, you just can't beat the monorail. Plus the GF is gorgeous at Christmastime. But the WL is a beautiful hotel and it is definitely a lot less expensive than the monorail hotels. My only real complaint is the sit down restaurant, and we really missed the monorail access.

9  Thank UTBlonde0427
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a three day, two night stay at the Wilderness Lodge. The accommodations and grounds were super. We ate at the Artist Point, their family restaurant Called Whispering Canyon Cafe, and their self serve restaurant. They have three $ levels of eating places and it was great for big families. Transportation to the parks was great. The best part of this brief excursion was the fact that we received the Florida resident discount for January thru March stays.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveler30208
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was my family's first trip to Disney. We opted to pay more for the benefits of a top Disney property after much consultation with friends. While the Wilderness Lodge lived up to our expectations in terms of facility and location, we found the amenities and staff to be quite disappointing. I travel a great deal on business and stay in a range of accommodations, so my expectations are well calibrated. I found some basics to be lacking altogether (bathroom ameneties like a shower cap, cotton balls), some poorly executed (our coffee wasn't restocked, cups weren't exchanged for clean ones, the towels were awful). I found the staff to be universally pleasant, but entirely unhelpful. They didn't know basic information like Disney bus travel times/schedules or top restaurant basics for the dining plan--these required them to have us hold/wait while they did what felt like extensive research to know something we took for granted as part of their job (this is the Concierge!). Phone staff was equally frustrating--we were put on hold for several minutes when requesting our coffee be restocked or asking for clean towels (why not just say "of course" and handle it?). These were a series of small things that would be entirely forgotten, except that no one ever offered even a basic apology when something was mishandled or forgotten or said "let me take care of that right away" as they would at any other hotel of this caliber and price point. Instead, we felt like we had to negotiate for service. They had our money at this point, and were very clearly not interested in providing the "magical" service they promise. Worst of all, when I tried to note this to a manager at checkout, I was essentially ignored. Again, not even an apology. I called and left a message requesting a call and called again after leaving; it was never returned. I responded to the survey they sent me and this was not responded to either. I am left feeling that Disney doesn't care. Quite disappointing given we had a blast on the property, had great service in the restaurant, and spent 5 nights and a lot of money at the hotel.

5  Thank amy f
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I recently stayed at the Wilderness lodge 4 days, 3 nights primarily for the Disney Princess Half Marathon. Free shuttle service couldn't have been better-got us there safely and efficiently. The hotel was definitely built to theme, but not kitchy which I was worried about. The staff was friendly, efficient with their ipads for quick check in and assistance. The property was really well kept. Room was clean and bed was comfortable! The only drawback is the price, of course! It's Disney pricing during a major event. The restaurant had some characters working there (forgive the play on words), very friendly! Great job to the Wilderness cast!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends