“Marathon Weekend Stay”

and 1 more site!
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #25 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the Wilderness Lodge when we visited WDW for Marathon Weekend. This was our second stay and most likely will not be our last. We were greeted at the door when we got off the Magical Express bus from the airport and within 5 minutes were completely signed in. We had requested a 6th floor, north facing room, which they provided. You could see some of the Wishes fireworks from that side. The only request not honored was a king bed, but that wasn't a big deal to us. Since we were there to run, I was a little concerned about the menu options at Roaring Fork (quick service), but the staff went out of their way to provide gluten-free options for each meal. The transportation to both the parks and the runDisney events were great. Sometimes it took a little longer than expected due to stopping at other resorts, but still much better than renting a car and driving. The theming of this resort is outstanding and is very comfortable. Can't wait to visit again....hopefully soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chadz78

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have just returned from our week long Disney vacation. Our reason for going was the Disney Marathon weekend, and to spend time with family that came in for it as well. We have stayed at other Disney resorts but this one was by far my favorite! Every little detail about it is amazing, and you truly feel like you are out in the woods somewhere, not in the middle of Florida.
We stayed on the 4th floor, room 4147, which was considered a "courtyard view". We overlooked the pool, waterfall, and lake. We could watch the nightly electric light boat parade from our balcony. Our room was spacious with a fridge, plenty of storage space, and the double sinks and bathroom area was nice and spacious as well.
The hotel itself is just to die for. The lobby/interior space is grand with a huge stone fireplace, rocking chairs, and even a bridge that runs over an indoor babbling brook. The outdoor had chirping crickets, flickering lanterns, fire pits, sandy beach areas, lush waterfalls, and a lovely pool with a slide. The grounds are simply spectacular.
We did eat at two of the restaurants while there. We had a nice family pre race dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe. It was served family style so we all picked out our meats to share and it was served in a platter with loads of veggies and mashed potatoes. We did have one vegetarian and she ordered off the regular menu and was delighted wither choice. We saw some of the much talked about antics going around us which were pretty fun but it also made the space very loud.
We tried our hand at Whispering Canyon for breakfast as well. My husband had the all you could eat platter after his half marathon and absolutely loved it! I ordered the waffles and they were delicious as well.
When we arrived we went to have lunch at their casual quick service place called Roaring Fork. It has stations to order food and some quick grab options. The space is pretty small for the size of the resort, in comparison to say the Coronado Springs hotel which has a VERY large quick service dining area with a ton of seating and food choice stations. However, every time we were there it was never crowded and we hardly waited for our food. Plus it was a short walk from our room so we could easily walk there to get a refill of soda, coffee, or a snack to take up to the room. We also ate breakfast here a couple mornings and it was always good.
We never waited for the Disney buses very long and even took the boat over to Magic Kingdom one day and returned in the boat from the Contemporary another night after dinner. It is a great and quick option to have.
All in all I seriously cannot imagine wanting to stay at another resort. It truly makes your vacation magical and my family who decided to stay at other resorts this time, want to stay there their next visit as well. It is wonderful and I highly recommend it!
PS I have a wonderful Disney travel agent if anyone needs one! My whole family uses her and she is the Disney Queen!

Room Tip: We originally booked a woods view, but were upgraded to the courtyard view and it was lovely to see...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank deejenna
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This trip to Disneyworld we decided to stay at Wilderness Lodge after previously staying at Animal Kingdom and The Grand Floridian. The Wilderness was closer to Magic Kingdom (for the grandkids) than Animal Kingdom and yet still along the same lines. The Christmas decorations were fabulous and the lodge feel was awesome! Our room was on the fifth floor that had a public sitting area with two leather chairs in front of a fireplace that was perfect on that day/night when the temperature dipped near the 30's. Also on the fifth floor was an outside balcony we could stand on and see the light show on Bay Lake every night.
We enjoyed a wonderful meal (w/o the grandkids) at Artist Pointe...it was fabulous! The Kids and grandkids enjoyed the heated pool (even though I thought it was waaay to cold to swim) and hot tubs.

Room Tip: 5th floor offered great views of the hotel yet once the doors closed it was quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank gc-sidelines
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge on three separate occassions, prior to becoming "hooked" on the cabins at Fort Wilderness. The Lodge is a beautiful hotel with a lovely swimming pool and beautiful grounds. The pool area is very attractive. The water slide is a "big hit" with the kids and there seems to be endless organized activities on the pool deck if your children are so inclined.

They have a nice bar poolside and a lovely walkway down to the lake. Quite relaxing and attractive.

The grounds are meticulously maintained, and in a typical "Disney" manner, adorable rabbits appeared each evening at dusk meandering around the grounds near the pool and the lake.

The rooms are pretty typical for the higher end Disney resorts, but the resort itself is very charming.

The location is superb for boat transportation to the Magic Kindgom, fireworks and the lighted boat parade.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

The place is super cute. The decor is spot-on and although cheesy, it really does make you feel like you're out west in Yellowstone or something.

The rooms are free of room-to-room noise, however the hallways are echoey and tourists are generally inconsiderate people, so you hear a lot of hallway noise, in the room, when a family comes barreling through after a late night at the park.

We were 3 adults traveling together, and made a last minute reservation, so decided to make a go of it with a room with a queen bed and 2 bunk beds. That was a mistake. The bunk beds are cute idea but for an adult the nostalgia of it doesn't make up for the lack of leg room. I wouldn't recommend trying what we did.

The staff we encountered were all perfectly kind and helpful. I'd return here again for sure.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This place is gorgeous! We travelled here with two adult children and it certainly brought out the inner children in us all!
Our room had bunks so we could accommodate the two girls without them having to sleep together. The beds were a bit on the short side but once we worked around that, most comfortable. The shower was to die for!! Hotels just don't seem to get that right but everything here was RIGHT.
Somehow we didn't hear ANY noise despite children being everywhere!! Having wifi coverage everywhere was such a bonus for us.
The luxury of being able to check into our flight from the hotel was amazing. It really took the stress out of it all!
My only regret it that it wasn't warmer so that we could make more use of the fantastic pool and surrounding gardens. Would recommend it highly!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ginben
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for four nights the weekend before the Christmas holiday. My friends and I had two standard rooms, which were located on the fourth floor right off of the Christmas-decorated grand lobby, and it was awesome. Over the years, I have stayed at other Disney resorts (Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, and Boardwalk), and the Wilderness Lodge seemed warm, cozy, and intimate, and we loved the theming and Christmas decorations. We read for years it was a great place to stay during the holidays, and we were in no way disappointed!

I arrived via car, and I was greeted immediately by a Disney check-in person and a bellhop. Because I have a mobility disability, I received free valet parking during my stay, which was a nice and helpful perk. Check-in was super easy, and I was struck how cheerful the staff was (even for Disney). I was awe-struck by the huge tree and other holiday decorations in the lobby, including all the usual theming in the Pacific Northwest style. Lots of attention to detail, my friends and I (all middle-aged adults) spent some time just sitting and looking at all the great details such as the fireplace, the lighting, and the indoor "spring." While the pool isn't as much fun as the one at the Beach and Yacht Clubs, we really enjoyed spending time at the pool area, which also has lots of great details to look at, and we really enjoyed the two different hot tubs (one is a "cool" spring--warm but not too hot-- and the "hot" spring, which was very hot with lots of jets and bubbles.) Both were very enjoyable and we met lots of nice people sitting in the hot tubs in the evening and watching the "geyser" and the Magical Electrical Parade.

Two things I want to make sure to highlight: the great Disney transportation available at this resort, and the OUTSTANDING room service. Even though the Wilderness Lodge is not on the monorail, they have water transportation to the Magic Kingdom, which is a lovely ride. One evening, we took the boat at sunset to the MK for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, and it was a beautiful, calm ride past the Contemporary and into Seven Seas Lagoon. While I had to wait for a big boat because I had a mobility scooter ( the smaller boats cannot accommodate them), the wait was minimal (ten minutes) and the cast members running the boats were respectful and patient with me. We had similar experiences with the buses that run to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. The buses were easy to use, even with a scooter, the drivers were kind and courteous, and compared to other resorts--such as the Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach Club location-- there were not a lot of people on the buses when we were. The buses serve the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness, so the ride was scenic and short (again, compared to some other bus routes at other resort locations I have experienced).

Finally, because we were a small group of adults, which means we were much more in leisure vacation mode than "we have to be at the parks when the rope drops" mode, I was able to take advantage of room service at the Lodge, which I have done only once before this Disney trip. The room service was outstanding in every way! The people taking orders were helpful, even offering to call me before my order arrived to make sure I was out of the shower! But the food and portions were, surprisingly, outstanding! I ordered breakfast one morning and lunch/dinner one late afternoon before going to one of the parks. The yogurt/fruit/granola combo was large and satisfying, but the best thing I had was a (real, sliced) turkey sandwich with cranberry mayo and multigrain bread. I still think about this sandwich! It was huge--enough for two meals--and really tasty and filling. Worth the money for both taste and convenience! I think my party dined at every restaurant in the Lodge, even had wine and fondue at the Lounge late one evening, and while they all have a very different atmospheres and menus, we enjoyed each one. However, weeks later, I still think about that awesome turkey sandwich with homemade potato chips from room service!

Overall, my party had a wonderful time at the WL. I love staying at Disney resorts, and I have my favorites. After this holiday stay, the Wilderness Lodge is now definitely one of my new Disney resort faves.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends