“Still love this Place, Great for the kids.”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #26 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Atlanta, Michigan
“Still love this Place, Great for the kids.”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

It had been almost 15 years since I last stayed here and I still love it. Yeah its expensive but makes for a great splurge vacation. The lobby is awesome and the pool is great for kids. Mostly 12 and under. The boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is relaxing and efficient. Limited food choices so look elsewhere. I love the wilderness vibe and the creek and the falls and the geyser.

Room Tip: Try a deluxe room as it can sleep up to six people with its three beds and it has more room than oth...
2 Thank BigLeprechaun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We just returned from a 6 day trip to Disney, staying at Wilderness Lodge. I have to agree with the reviews, the lobby is awesome and the outside area is very nice as well. We got a room with bunk beds, we found the room to be small and the bathroom area was really small. Check in was easy, and we had to go request blankets and that was easy as well. The movies on the beach was great for the kids.

3 Thank daleshrgirl
Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Let me start by saying I am not a "hotel' snob. I'm seriously happy at our worn out beach condo, I don't need marble floors and I don't need to be catered to in order to be happy.

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Wilderness Lodge. I'm still having mixed feelings about the resort. I traveled with my Mom, my 10 year old, 6 month old and husband. We decided to book a last minute holiday vacation to Disney World and I booked the WL based on the fact that everyone said it was the best resort to stay at for Christmas. I also booked based on location and the short bus ride to Magic Kingdom. Just a note that this was our first time staying at a deluxe resort, last year we stayed at Art of Animation and loved it and our entire experience.

Just a warning that this review might be fairly long and a bit nit-picky. I'm not normally a person that complains about small things and in general I'm pretty easy to keep happy but I want to give a good solid pro's and con's review because I rely a lot on traveler reviews before booking trips!

When we first arrived I was a little disappointed the staff wasn't a bit friendlier. I guess I've been spoiled by Disney in the past with the excellent customer service. At the Art of Animation every time we stepped foot into the lobby we were greeted with a "Welcome Home!" or "Welcome back!" Not the case for us at the WL. Check in was simple, My son left his magic band at home and they gave us a new one without any questions. We were in our room within 20 minutes of arrival and there was only 1 person ahead of us when we arrived. The lobby area is really nice so I wouldn't mind if I had to wait a few minutes to get checked in. My first impression of the resort was that it was extremely nice and very well themed.

We were in room 3148. It took a little bit to get to our room from the main elevator in the lobby. We had a woods view room and our balcony backed right up to the "hidden" pool and the Villas. The view was alright, it was nice to have a balcony to sit out on. I expected to use it more but the fact is that when we came home from the parks we were exhausted and ready for bed so it didn't get much use. My son did like to stick his head out and watch glimpses of the Electrical parade that went past the resort every night.

As for the room itself, it was extremely clean (As every Disney resort hotel I've been too.) and very "themed" to the rest of the resort. When we first entered the room did have an odd musty odor but I'm not one to complain and didn't feel like switching rooms so I let it slide.. but the smell was pretty musty and even my husband (who could care less about things being really clean and would sleep on a park bench if he had to) mentioned the odor.

I was really surprised at how SMALL the room was, I read that these were the smallest rooms of all the deluxe resorts but I really didn't know just how small. It was pretty crammed and I couldn't fit our large suitcases in the closet so I just kind of pushed them back to corner. I was a little peeved because I do like to minimize the stuff that stays out in the hotel room to keep it looking more clean and less cluttered.

The beds were probably the hardest I have slept on at a Disney resort. My husband woke up complaining of his back several times.The bedding itself was nice, the sheets were soft and the pillows were okay.

There was plenty of storage in the dressers to keep our baby things and our clothes.

We did have a fridge which was nice because I bought some waters to take to the parks. It didn't really keep the waters as cold as I would have liked but it served the purpose.

Mousekeeping was good. They left us towel animals daily. My son loved it. At the Art of Animation though I remember them getting more creative and setting his stuffed toys up in funny situations etc. I didn't like that it took them until almost 3 to get to our room every day. We would sometimes come back from the parks for an afternoon break and they still had not been there.

As far as transportation, the boat ride to the MK is nice, it's fairly quick and more relaxing then a bus ride if you ask me. The bus ride to MK is quick though, and you don't stop at Fort Wilderness first. The bus ride to all of the other parks was long and it was irritating having to go to Fort Wilderness first. I feel like since I was paying a pretty penny to stay at a deluxe resort we shouldn't have to share buses with other resorts. The WL bus stop was pretty far away from the Disney Hollywood Studios entrance. I felt like I had to walk forever. We never waited longer then 10 minutes for a bus though.

The pool area was nice, and themed well with the resort. My son was less then thrilled with the small slide and the small pool. I guess we were spoiled with how large the pool at the Art of Animation was. The pool activities weren't as fun either. Although the cast members were very good about keeping the kids entertained. I remember at Art Of Animation my son would have been content staying at the pool all day every day and not even going to a park! My husband and I enjoyed some drinks by the pool bar and relaxed in the hot tub at night. I really feel like this area should be off limits to kids though, several times the hot tub was full of nothing but kids. I know we're at Disney..but that's what they have the pool for! ;)

Roaring Forks is the eating area and it's incredibly small and packed pretty much all the time. We tried some of the food and were less then impressed. The grilled chicken sandwich was like rubber and the cheese wasn't even melted, the sauce was pretty gross and I ended up throwing the whole thing away.

Overall, we had a good stay (is there such thing as a bad stay at Disney?!), but I don't plan on returning any time soon. We also got a discount on this room and I can't IMAGINE paying $500+ a night for this place!! I would have been HIGHLY disappointed. This hotel just seemed less "Disney" to me. I know some people aren't into the Disney theme but I love the big characters and friendly service we received at the Art of Animation. I loved the themed rooms, the pool area, the food court and the friendlier service at AOA. I liked that it seemed a bit more centrally located. I could see you benefiting from staying in the MK resort area if that is where you plan to spend all of your time. We like Epcot and Hollywood studios so I like to be near those parks. We already booked our return trip to AOA. I guess we are just suckers for the over the top "Disney" theme!

9 Thank blondie0088
United States
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just returned from a five night stay at Wilderness Lodge and have a mixed review. The check in process was quick and efficient. We arrived prior to our room being ready, so the bellman stored our luggage and even put our quart of milk in the frig. The lobby itself is stunning with its soaring ceilings and “log cabin” ambience. The Christmas decorations were put up on Monday night, November 18---came downstairs on Tuesday morning to find a huge rustic-themed Christmas tree along with several smaller trees. The large Christmas tree is a great photo op, and there was a Disney photographer on site. As an FYI---the Disney photographer will use your personal camera to take a picture of your family in front of the tree.

The room was “okay”—I expected a larger room for a deluxe resort. There is a small table with two chairs---but no other seating. We had requested a woods view with two connecting rooms with my daughter's family (got the fifth floor) and basically when we looked out our balcony, there was a straight wall of trees---if I had to do it over, I would save the money on the woods view and just go with the standard view since we never used our balcony. I am a very light sleeper so I found our room location to be very noisy. We were near the end of one of the wings that extends out back---we could clearly hear the blasting of the boat’s horn as each time it arrived—this went on until 1 am on some nights. The electrical water parade was also loud and easily audible in our particular location---if you have little ones that go to bed early, this may wake them up.

The room/housekeeping service on our floor was disappointing. Our last stay in Disney was four years ago in Port Orleans, and in comparison, Port Orleans was much more customer-oriented with providing the Disney magic. We did not receive any towel animals on our bed-even though it was obvious there were young children in the two rooms. So on the third day, I left a substantial tip along with a note specifically asking for towel animals---and we did finally receive one. On the fourth day, I left another good-sized tip---no towel animals. I also left a note asking for an extra “just in case” crib sheet for the pack n play but never received it. We were celebrating the older child's birthday (3 years old) and had read about other people receiving cards and special towel animals---they had our reservation marked as “celebration” but nothing special was done to acknowledge it other than a recorded phone call.

The boat service to the Magic Kingdom is a huge asset to staying at this resort. You get taken directly to the arrival area on the Magic Kingdom—totally eliminating having to take the ferry or monorail from the parking lot. We didn’t know this at first, but there are two different sized boats that go back and forth. The smaller boat is cramped and very difficult to maneuver on with two little ones and a double stroller---having to collapse the stroller and keep it in your seat with you. The larger boat has the capacity for you to just bring your stroller right on without having to collapse it. When leaving the Magic Kingdom, we just waited for the larger boat so we wouldn’t have to take two sleeping kids out of the stroller.

We took the boat over to Fort Wildnerness for a horse carriage ride ($45 for 30minutes)---if you want to do this, I would highly recommend calling Disney Recreation and making a reservation because they do book up with limited walk-up times available. Even in November, quite a few campsites were decorated for Christmas, so the kids were entertained with the bright lights, etc. I believe that in December, the carriage ride becomes a “sleigh ride” with the carriage decorated for Christmas---and the price goes up by $15.
You can see a good part of Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach area. Also, there is an electrical water parade every night at 9:30--goes right front of the beach. Thursday night we had some major sensory overload---the Mickey's Christmas party fireworks and electrical water parade occurred at the same time.

We went to Whispering Canyon for breakfast and that was a huge disappointment---and is described in detail in a separate review. If going to Whispering Canyon, when checking in, make sure you tell the hostess that you want a server that is going to interact with you. Also, the “noisy” festivities don’t start until after 10:30 am—so if you have little ones that want to do any of the kids’ activities, make your reservation for late morning (see my separate review).

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank LJLB33
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 20, 2013

As annual Orlando tourists for 25 years, we have developed a variety of strategies for getting the most out of Disney. Increasingly, guests at Disney resorts get better opportunities than external visitors, so we have started staying a single night at a Disney resort to reap the many benefits. The concierge level at the Wilderness lodge is my favorite. The lodge itself is more impressive than other Disney properties, and the service and attention on the consierge level is outstanding. Even though check-in isn't until afternoon, you can arrive first thing in the morning and take a boat to Magic Kingdom, or transfer to the monorail to Epcot, avoiding the busses and mayhem of the TTC. If you come back at lunchtime with a tired child, all the benefits of the concierge lounge await, including snacks. The themed pool, arcade, and other ameneties are a hit with the kids. At night you can catch the electric parade on the lagoon, and if you ask, there is a single window that affords a perfect view of the Magic Kingdom fireworks. You'll pay top dollar for the room, but for a 1 or 2 night splurge as part of a longer vacation we think it is absolutely worth it! Don't rule out the high-end resorts just because you can't afford them for an entire week.

8 Thank CDBLeola
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have been to many deluxe resorts at Disney, and this one is on par with all the rest. The entrance is amazingly open and awe inspiring. Check in was a breeze, we had rooms to the left side of the resort, on the second floor, which made it very easy to get to The Roarin Forks Cafe (which was very good quick serve, but that is another review). The boats to the magic kingdom were very speedy, I never felt like I waited too long. The pool was average. The kids liked, but didn't love the slide, but if think they now compare all slides to the beach club, and there is no comparison to that. We also used the Cubs Den for two nights, and our kids loved it there. We would definitely go back.

2 Thank Joanne C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for our first trip to Disney this fall. It's best feature is the convenience in terms of transport. It is very close to the Magic Kingdom, which can be easily and quickly (10-15 minutes) reached by either boat or bus. The hotel itself is quite nice. A welcoming reception area, decent and friendly service. The rooms are ok - good size, but perhaps a little dated, although certainly perfectly comfortable, with a nice little porch overlooking the pool area. I didn't like the breakfasts at the cafe - really hectic, not the way I like to start the day, but this is a mass experience, so it is to be expected. We didn't make it to Artists Point, but did have a wonderful drink at the bar - really good margaritas. The pool area seemed nice, though we had little time to take advantage of it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family