“First Visit to Disney's Wilderness Lodge!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #34 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Columbus, Ohio
“First Visit to Disney's Wilderness Lodge!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Our family loves Disney World. This was our second stay at a Disney resort. We love staying on property. The magical express from the airport and the convenience of Disney transportation are the best! The Wilderness Lodge is a beautiful resort. We loved the lobby and fireplace. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Mousekeeping made fun towel animals and such. I am not a huge fan of some of the rustic decor, just a bit dark for my taste, but it was perfect for the theme and is what I expected. My daughter said we were staying in the "log place"! I did really like the white bed linens, made things fresh. We spent time at the pool, which was nice. Fun water slide and kids pool. We watched a movie on the beach one night, which was a highlight of the trip. The boat transportation to MK was great, a nice break from the buses. The quick service restaurant was good for breakfast, kids waffles are a deal and make sure you get a refillable mug. Whispering Canyon was a disappointment. The food sounded great, but didn't taste so great. There are better options at Disney.

The pros of the hotel are that you get a deluxe hotel for less than the other properties at this level, the proximity to MK, and the quietness of the property. It really feels like a break from the Disney hustle and bustle. The Beach Club is still my favorite, but I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cbuschick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Korean first
Urbana, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a perfect resort for romantic or family vacations. Right from the beginning when you walk into the lobby you are taken in from the beauty. We went for our 34th anniversary and after 8 nights we could of stayed longer. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. We had a courtyard first floor right by the pool view, and even though the temps. We're in the upper 80's - low 90's we spent most of our time on our patio. Note to self , bring spray to keep the bugs away next time. The pools are very nice and lifeguards on duty if you have children! The restaurants were wonderful, but not cheap! We were on the dining plan, so food was included! Lots of family things to do, movies poolside, campfires with s'mores , boating, bicycles, games and much more. Of course the poolside also has a bar for adult drinks. And best of all you are just a quick boat ride away from Magic Kingdom. The staff make you feel at home!

Room Tip: Courtyard are my pick for a great room. Request a poolside 1st floor if you love to people watch!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I know a lot of people love this resort because it is a deluxe but cheaper than the other deluxe resorts. The location is great for the boat transportation. The lobby and sit down restaurants are great!...The quick service restaurant is too small for the size of the resort, long lines and expectedly overpriced. The room was just wore out. Tarnished furniture, carpet abused. Rooms really need overhaul. Other than that the pool area is great. I will be trying one of the other deludes next stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rocco C
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

True to the pictures, the resort is very impressive both inside and out. Dinner at Artist Point and breakfast at Whispering Canyon were both very good with attentive and friendly staff. Roaring Fork is convenient to the pool for lunch. Convenience of this resort to the park was a plus, but beware to ask for the shortest route when traveling between parks/resorts, etc. The boat shuttle and monorail combination is not always the quickest. . . sometimes the bus is more efficient. We booked through a travel agent months ago, but when we arrived there was no villa for us due to a problem (standard rooms were also completely booked). They sent us to the Contemporary, and we returned a few days later. As long as we were close to the Magic Kingdom, that was fine. . . and they offered to refund the cost of the room for the nights that we could not stay at the Lodge. This was a plus considering the time taken to reroute to a different hotel, and later have to pack again and move (had to be present with luggage, etc.). Nice pool (we felt the pool at Kidani Village spoiled us on another trip!), but can get extremely crowded in the afternoons because of the heat. Fun pool games for the kids are a plus! Very clean villa and the atmosphere offered a wilderness experience as promised. Might suggest citronella tiki torches (like the Polynesian) to keep the bugs at bay. . . heavy, swampy, forest all around is cool and part of the experience, but brings in tons of bugs in the summer which prevents one from enjoying the balcony and exploring some other areas on the property. The lifeguards were literally skimming thousands of little flies out of the pool on one day during our trip. . . Tip - take advantage of the bike and boat rentals on site. . . a lot of fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelsabit3
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We spent 7 nights at this property in a 2 bedroom villa. We are a family of 5 and it was great to be in a spacious, comfortable place that had a small kitchen (full sized appliances), 3 tv's, 2 full baths, 2 balconies, and a washer/dryer which allowed us to pack light. Since this was the 3rd visit in 12 years, we knew that the convenience to the parks and the restaurant options were excellent. Check in was ok, we did need to wait an hour for our room but we did arrive before 3 pm. The housekeeping staff was attentive and the "quiet pool" was much more peaceful than the larger pool that has the slide and many more young kids. The condition of the room was very nice-although if you are looking for sleek and modern this isn't the place-it has the rustic feel (as it is supposed to mimic a lodge from the pacific northwest in the 1800's)-they have achieved that well with the decor.

My only criticism was that of the front desk staff-although most were courteous and helpful, some clearly needed more training (or something). The first instance that was somewhat negative came from a concierge staff member. When I needed to change the timing of dinner reservations, I first asked to cancel them (I meant for a later time with just my husband instead of an earlier time that included the kids). He was QUICK to inform me that I would be charged $50 for cancelled reservations as per policy. It turned out that the reservations ended up being modified and they did not charge the fee-HOWEVER, I would have escalated that-the training needs to change here-in Disney, where they pride themselves in customer service, they should take the time to look up a customer, see that they just dumped over $11,000 at your establishment, did not cause issues with any other reservations, and then make no mention of their idiotic policy-that would be proper protocol-instead, they ruffled feathers without a reason.

The 2nd instance came the night prior to departure, I asked a front desk staff member how to go about printing boarding passes-she informed me that other than 2 airlines, they could not help me, but I should go the the front of the building between 5AM-AND 1PM the next day. I told her that I travel extensively and never heard of that especially from a hotel at this "level".

Just before walking away, I asked another staff member at the other end of the long desk area-she printed the boarding passes for me IMMEDIATELY! I thanked her and told her what had happened.

In the meantime, another copy of my boarding passes were printed an placed under the door in the morning-so, clearly, a lack of clear communication from the front desk staff.

Additionally, the staff member that gave us our "key to the world" cards upon check in failed to inform us that when using snacks on the dining plan, you need to tell the merchant each time, it doesn't automatically come off the card-so, if you don't know this, you will find yourself with 16 snacks left on the card the day prior to departure! Then you need to use them on something or else they are forfeited-in the meantime, your credit card was being charged for snacks for the duration of the trip when you thought you were using your dining plan!

Again, lack of clear communication/training is my only criticisms-overall, I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villa is beautiful and spacious for groups of 5 or more.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kids3dog
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a group of 5: my parents stayed in 1 room, and my husband, 5 year old son, and I stayed in another. They were great about making sure we were near each other. They also upgraded us to a room with bunk beds. My son that that was the best thing ever. We had the rooms with the woods view, and we loved them. The rooms were kept clean, the hotel was clean. Everyone was very friendly. Since it was my son's 1st time to Disney world, they delivered a balloon to our room, and he thought that was so exciting. He also got a special pin to wear.

The pool area was great. I was worried that the water would be too cold, but it was heated, so the temperature was just right. My son loved the water slide..

Having the option to ride the boats was a lot of fun. We were always up and ready to go early, but we always got on the next available boat. The evening boat captains were very entertaining and a lot of fun. One had a lot of good pirate jokes.

The food was fine. There were several options, and getting a refillable cup seemed to be a good value.

If we go back to Disney, we would definitely stay here again. We absolutely loved this hotel. The lobby was beautiful, the service was outstanding, the hotel grounds were clean and well manicured, and the rooms were comfortable. Our entire family had such a wonderful experience. Thank you Disney!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TxLisa
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Impressive décor, all staff, restaurants, transportation options (monorail, waterboat, bus) just wish resort had own bus line service for "deluxe" level rate. Has game room, store, nice pool and activity options for the outdoors. Would definetly recommend or visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family