If you read my review of Disney’s Old Key West, you’ll know how excited my family was to move on to the Wilderness Lodge for 10 nights. This was the first time staying at this resort, so we were really hoping the reviews we read prior to our stay were accurate.
Having never been to the Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, the moment you drive up the drive-way you are suddenly immersed in what seems like a destination in the mountains. The guard who checked us in was so friendly and helpful and the greeter (it was a very sweet woman…I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t recall her name), welcomed us every.single.time we left and returned to the resort through our 10 day stay. This greeter is truly a gift to the Wilderness Lodge and my children always looked for her as we left for the day. What a sweetheart.
When we entered the lobby, we stood for what seemed like forever staring at the mammoth Christmas tree in the Lobby. If you haven’t been to Disney World during Christmas, this tree is definitely something to see. The resort is a wonder in itself, modeled after one or two of the lodges out west, the place is just gorgeous. Our room wasn’t ready upon check-in, but while we were at the desk the lovely greeter (again, embarrassed I can’t remember her name) took my children around the lobby and pointed out various facts about the construction of the resort and the architect’s desire to move the totem poles in the lobby so they didn’t face each other. What’s interesting about this fact, is my children are currently learning Native American history so the additional 5 or 10 minute lesson while we waited to get checked in was extra special. I understand Disney generally prides themselves on making each guest feel special, but this extra time spent meant so much to my children and was so appreciated.
We thoroughly enjoyed every day spent at the Wilderness Lodge and fortunately the weather was perfect so we had time to spend time there enjoying the pool, pool bar (bartender was fabulous and made the.BEST. margaritas), we even took the little boats around the lagoon and watched the water parade almost every night at 9:35 from the beach. The boat to Magic Kingdom also can’t be beat!
We dined at Whispering Canyon (one of us was a ketchup thief – you need to ask for ketchup or else) and Artist Point was divine (we ate here twice). Even the Roaring Forks had decent food and their restaurant personnel were super.
We did have a minor issue with our bed but the resort manager promptly addressed the issue and although the mattress was a bit hard on the side that was previously broken we managed ok. It was a minor hiccup considering how wonderful the rest of the trip was. Our room was meticulously maintained during our stay and our housekeeper left us numerous towel creatures (some of them were quite creative). Our room was on the 2nd floor courtyard view so we had a very quick walk to the elevator and we utilized the deck often for our morning coffee and evening cocktails.
I’ll probably think of other great aspects to the resort after this review has been posted, but there were so many good things about the place that I can’t very well write them all down. We’re glad the Boardwalk wasn’t available for all the days we wanted and ended up at the Wilderness Lodge though. We booked a trip back for October and can’t wait!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the rustic majesty of America's Great Northwest. Inspired by turn-of-the-century National Park lodges, Disney's Wilderness Lodge celebrates American craftsmanship and honors the beauty of the untamed wilderness. Soak in the splendor of the great outdoors, from nature trails through pine forests to rocking chairs that overlook a murmuring creek. Inside, discover towering totem poles, headdresses and more, and sink into a plush leather armchair in front of the roaring fireplace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Disney's Wilderness Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Wilderness Hotel
- Disney Wilderness Lodge
- Disneys Wilderness Hotel
- Walt Disney World Wilderness Lodge
- Wilderness Lodge Orlando
- Wilderness Lodge Resort
- Wilderness Lodge Disney World
- Disney Wilderness Resort
- Disneys Wilderness Lodge