“A nice stay”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #26 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here for 14 nights in September 2011. When we checked in we were given a room in the one place I had specifically requested we not be due to our baby - above the whispering canyon. Luckily, there was one room left in the exact spot we wanted and had requested - a woods view room, overlooking the otter pond. Although I was made to feel like I was being a nuisance when I asked for the change, which was a bit frustrating for the amount of money we were paying to stay there for that long. Especially because the room we had requested was available, i did not understand why they hadn't allocated it to us instead of one we asked to not have. Anyways, we were ended up in room 3018, and had a fantastic gap in the trees which allowed us to see the magic kingdom fireworks from our balcony. Awesome! We found the resort to be beautiful, although after 14 nights the room did get a little on the small side for 2 adults and 3 kids (ages 8, 4 and 18 months). The roaring forks had some great food and we ate there often - get the adult chicken nuggets instead of the kids, the meat is much better. The surrey bikes were heaps of fun, and the pool was awesome. The boat to the MK was great, although did get busy at peak times. Sometimes the buses seemed a bit out of synch - for example, HS would have early morning EMH, but there would be no buses for 20 minutes but you would see 3 for Epcot. That got a bit annoying, but the buses did not take too long to get places once you were on them. Just to mention, the laundry was a good size too and we never had any problems getting a washer or dryer, although you needed 2 cycles of the dryer to get the clothes dry. All in all we had a really enjoyable stay, and would definitely stay at the WL again, but maybe in the Villas, which look beautiful!

Room Tip: A woods view overlooking the otter pond is quieter, and has - potentially - a view of the magic king...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank katvdm

Reviewed December 25, 2011

We were there the week before Christmas so the lodge was decorated beautiful for christmas. The lobby is breathtaking with the huge tree. The pools were very well heated so we were able to swim when it was 75 outside. The boats to the contemporary, ft.wilderness & magic kingdom are so convenient and enjoyable. The rooms were just average hotel rooms. However, we had a perfect view of the fireworks out of our woods view room which was a huge bonus!

Room Tip: Woods view rooms on the side that faces magic kingdom and contemporary have great views of fireworks...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was our 1st stay at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Our stay was Dec. 11-18. The resort seems to be well cared for. Our rooms were clean & conveniently located to the pools, dining areas, boat dock to the Magic Kingdom, & bus service to the other Disney attractions. In terms of proximity to other Disney attractions it is great. Considering most of our waking hours were spent in one of the parks, Wilderness Lodge is a fine place to lay your head for the night.
The housekeeper assigned to our rooms (we travelled w/ our son, daughter-in-law, & granddaughter) surprised us daily w/ a new washcloth animal. Our 3-yr old granddaughter looked forward to finding them upon our return every night. The housekeeper also did an outstanding job in taking care of the rooms during our stay.
We had breakfast in the Whispering Canyon one morning. The food was quite good. Our granddaughter enjoyed participating in the hobby horse round-up. Our son & daughter-in-law dined at Artist's Point, the fine dining area of the lodge, one evening & raved about the food there.
Upon seeing the lodge for the 1st time our granddaughter dubbed it "the Stick House."

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room w/ a wood's view. It was quiet & did not require a trip through...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SouthwestTravelerPa
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Just Wonderful!This is a beautiful hotel and the lobby is breathtaking. The rooms are a little smaller than the Polynesian but are nice, comfortable and mouse keeping is awesome. I encourage you to try this lodge and all the restaurants. You're only a quick boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Susan L
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed 11/27-12/3 and had a great trip. We had last stayed here on our last trip in 2009 on the club level and I was worried that staying non club would be a let down. It was not.
We had a great wood view room where we could see MK fireworks at night. The room was clean and our housekeeper was great leaving us towel animals each day.
We love the atmosphere of WL. It's restful and relaxing after long days at the park.
The holiday decorations were wonderful - we got some lovely family portraits in front of the Christmas tree.
We had a chance to eat at all 3 dining options at the lodge. Roaring Forks (the Quick Serve), Whispering Canyon Cafe(casual table service) and Artist Point (Signature dining) and enjoyed them all.
We took the boat to MK and buses elsewhere and found no issues with waiting.
We made it a point to check out the other deluxe resorts on this trip, but they all seemed too big for us. I think we are Wilderness Lodgers for life.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank lindas0809
Reviewed December 21, 2011

When visiting Walt Disney World, the vacationer has a myriad of avenues when it comes to hotel accommodations. One can save a ton of money by staying off property. However, the downside is constant use of one’s own vehicle to get back and forth from the parks. Also included is the additional expense of more gas consumed, and parking fees. Another option is to stay at one of the lower-cost hotels on Disney property. This allows the tourist to leave their car parked, and the cost of theme park vehicle parking is bypassed. The downside of this is that it may cost a bit more to stay on Disney property, and the only form of mass transit for these types of Disney resorts are buses. Lastly, is the most expensive but time-saving and least stressful way to stay at Disney; a hotel around Bay Lake.
I have camped at Disney’s Fort Wilderness most of my life. The boats and buses made it easy to get around. The first time I stayed in a Disney hotel was the Port Orleans, Riverfront. It was a nice hotel, but the lack of buses made wait times a maddening experience.
For the holidays, my wife and I decided to do it up, and go all out. We got a great Florida resident rate for Disney's Wilderness Lodge, so we booked it.

PROS:

Location: I love any Disney property that overlooks Bay Lake. It was quiet and the property is beautiful.

Transportation: With buses and boats at our disposal, we rarely had to wait to get where we were going. We opted for the boats, because I prefer them, and there always seemed to be a boat on the way. The ease of transportation made our stay at WL totally worth the price.

Resort: This place has to be one of the nicest hotels on Disney property. It has an outdoors feel of Fort Wilderness, but the elegance of the other resorts on Bay Lake.

Room: Our room was set up quite nicely with details and furnishings only Disney could afford to pull off. The bathroom was roomy and had plenty of good water pressure. Water temperature was also on point, and the room was clean. The bed was soft, and we had plenty of pillows.

Safe: The safe is a small key type, and securely held all my valuables.

Balcony: Our balcony was nice and overlooked a small pond.

Restaurants: We ate at Roaring Fork, and Whispering Canyon. They offered nice items. WC is a funny place to eat because the servers yell and carry on.

CONS:

-Our room was across the way from the boat thoroughfare. We were awoken daily at 7am with Disney boat horns as the vessels would approach the WL dock.

-Our room was next to the elevator. At night, it was noisy with all the guests getting in and out of the elevator.

-The room is lit with 4 lamps that are arranged with two over each bed. There is no master on/off switch. Each bed post has a switch for its lamp. This means that one has to switch on 4 switches to adequately light the room.

-The main lobby looks impressive, but we stayed off of one of the wings towards Bay Lake. I would’ve liked to stay in the central lobby area.

Beyond the trivial, this is a great place to see Disney. Yes, you may spend a little more money, but the time saved in not waiting for a stinky bus is well worth it. I will be back.

Room Tip: Do not get a room next to the elevator. If you can, get a room that is on the same side of the build...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Todd M
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I love this hotel, have stayed with family 3 times. My son 8, loves the pool, and the proximity to the Magic Kinndom saves countless time. I booked a discounted Bunk Bed room months in advance, and when I checked in, no bunk beds. She told me I could get that room if I paid more. When I then demanded to talk to the manager, he told me he could not find a bunk bed room for me. Then why did she offer it if I paid more. They asked me If I had written confirmation of my reservation. I had the number but not the actual print out. I put up a HUGE stink, and to not ruin my family vacation, agree with the manager that I would pay the extra, and when I got home and got the print out, he would refund the difference. He actually did during our stay. Save the reservation and bring the actually copy. Maybe seasoned travelers know this, I've learned my lesson.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lobby can be very loud.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family