“Disney World Christmas 2011”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #24 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was our 1st stay at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Our stay was Dec. 11-18. The resort seems to be well cared for. Our rooms were clean & conveniently located to the pools, dining areas, boat dock to the Magic Kingdom, & bus service to the other Disney attractions. In terms of proximity to other Disney attractions it is great. Considering most of our waking hours were spent in one of the parks, Wilderness Lodge is a fine place to lay your head for the night.
The housekeeper assigned to our rooms (we travelled w/ our son, daughter-in-law, & granddaughter) surprised us daily w/ a new washcloth animal. Our 3-yr old granddaughter looked forward to finding them upon our return every night. The housekeeper also did an outstanding job in taking care of the rooms during our stay.
We had breakfast in the Whispering Canyon one morning. The food was quite good. Our granddaughter enjoyed participating in the hobby horse round-up. Our son & daughter-in-law dined at Artist's Point, the fine dining area of the lodge, one evening & raved about the food there.
Upon seeing the lodge for the 1st time our granddaughter dubbed it "the Stick House."

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room w/ a wood's view. It was quiet & did not require a trip through...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SouthwestTravelerPa
There are newer reviews for Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Just Wonderful!This is a beautiful hotel and the lobby is breathtaking. The rooms are a little smaller than the Polynesian but are nice, comfortable and mouse keeping is awesome. I encourage you to try this lodge and all the restaurants. You're only a quick boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Susan L
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed 11/27-12/3 and had a great trip. We had last stayed here on our last trip in 2009 on the club level and I was worried that staying non club would be a let down. It was not.
We had a great wood view room where we could see MK fireworks at night. The room was clean and our housekeeper was great leaving us towel animals each day.
We love the atmosphere of WL. It's restful and relaxing after long days at the park.
The holiday decorations were wonderful - we got some lovely family portraits in front of the Christmas tree.
We had a chance to eat at all 3 dining options at the lodge. Roaring Forks (the Quick Serve), Whispering Canyon Cafe(casual table service) and Artist Point (Signature dining) and enjoyed them all.
We took the boat to MK and buses elsewhere and found no issues with waiting.
We made it a point to check out the other deluxe resorts on this trip, but they all seemed too big for us. I think we are Wilderness Lodgers for life.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank lindas0809
Reviewed December 21, 2011

When visiting Walt Disney World, the vacationer has a myriad of avenues when it comes to hotel accommodations. One can save a ton of money by staying off property. However, the downside is constant use of one’s own vehicle to get back and forth from the parks. Also included is the additional expense of more gas consumed, and parking fees. Another option is to stay at one of the lower-cost hotels on Disney property. This allows the tourist to leave their car parked, and the cost of theme park vehicle parking is bypassed. The downside of this is that it may cost a bit more to stay on Disney property, and the only form of mass transit for these types of Disney resorts are buses. Lastly, is the most expensive but time-saving and least stressful way to stay at Disney; a hotel around Bay Lake.
I have camped at Disney’s Fort Wilderness most of my life. The boats and buses made it easy to get around. The first time I stayed in a Disney hotel was the Port Orleans, Riverfront. It was a nice hotel, but the lack of buses made wait times a maddening experience.
For the holidays, my wife and I decided to do it up, and go all out. We got a great Florida resident rate for Disney's Wilderness Lodge, so we booked it.

PROS:

Location: I love any Disney property that overlooks Bay Lake. It was quiet and the property is beautiful.

Transportation: With buses and boats at our disposal, we rarely had to wait to get where we were going. We opted for the boats, because I prefer them, and there always seemed to be a boat on the way. The ease of transportation made our stay at WL totally worth the price.

Resort: This place has to be one of the nicest hotels on Disney property. It has an outdoors feel of Fort Wilderness, but the elegance of the other resorts on Bay Lake.

Room: Our room was set up quite nicely with details and furnishings only Disney could afford to pull off. The bathroom was roomy and had plenty of good water pressure. Water temperature was also on point, and the room was clean. The bed was soft, and we had plenty of pillows.

Safe: The safe is a small key type, and securely held all my valuables.

Balcony: Our balcony was nice and overlooked a small pond.

Restaurants: We ate at Roaring Fork, and Whispering Canyon. They offered nice items. WC is a funny place to eat because the servers yell and carry on.

CONS:

-Our room was across the way from the boat thoroughfare. We were awoken daily at 7am with Disney boat horns as the vessels would approach the WL dock.

-Our room was next to the elevator. At night, it was noisy with all the guests getting in and out of the elevator.

-The room is lit with 4 lamps that are arranged with two over each bed. There is no master on/off switch. Each bed post has a switch for its lamp. This means that one has to switch on 4 switches to adequately light the room.

-The main lobby looks impressive, but we stayed off of one of the wings towards Bay Lake. I would’ve liked to stay in the central lobby area.

Beyond the trivial, this is a great place to see Disney. Yes, you may spend a little more money, but the time saved in not waiting for a stinky bus is well worth it. I will be back.

Room Tip: Do not get a room next to the elevator. If you can, get a room that is on the same side of the build...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Todd M
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I love this hotel, have stayed with family 3 times. My son 8, loves the pool, and the proximity to the Magic Kinndom saves countless time. I booked a discounted Bunk Bed room months in advance, and when I checked in, no bunk beds. She told me I could get that room if I paid more. When I then demanded to talk to the manager, he told me he could not find a bunk bed room for me. Then why did she offer it if I paid more. They asked me If I had written confirmation of my reservation. I had the number but not the actual print out. I put up a HUGE stink, and to not ruin my family vacation, agree with the manager that I would pay the extra, and when I got home and got the print out, he would refund the difference. He actually did during our stay. Save the reservation and bring the actually copy. Maybe seasoned travelers know this, I've learned my lesson.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lobby can be very loud.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Bluechipper
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Stayed on 6th floor (6131). Great view of the villas and lake. The room was so quiet, we didn't hear a thing during our stay. Mousekeeping was great! The lobby is breathtaking and decorated perfectly for the holidays. Transportation to the Magic Kingdom was quick and frequent via the boat. The mercantile was great for a quick snack. Roaring fork was also great. We will be staying here again and again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mikeinphilly
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Wilderness Lodge Resort is Disney at it's best. You are quickly and completely engulfed in a complete experience while staying here. Seriously - all of your senses are indulged and given the royal treatment. From the amazing lobby and picturesque waterfalls & pool to the flickering lanterns and little animal prints left in the the stone walks, this is a resort that will actually compete with your attention - and that's saying a lot when you have the parks calling.
My family has tried many of Disney's resorts and we have yet to top our experience here.
The rooms are great, all three restaurants (a romantic fine dining spot, a fun family sit-down, and a quick service counter spot) are perfect for what they aim at, the pool area is relaxing and very unique.
Although not on the monorail line, transportation is a breeze. A boat can be caught to the nearby Magic Kingdom and easily accessible buses that you everywhere else.
Did I mention all the details? Do yourself a favor and do take the time to really soak it all up. This is too amazing of a place to just rush in and out of.

Room Tip: We've stayed in a few different spots but, so far, have enjoyed our room on one of the wings (5...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family