“Unforgettable”

Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #27 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Although pricey, the Wilderness Lodge is Disney's best property by far (i've stayed at deluxes and values) I can't even explain the feeling you have when staying at this hotel, everything is just superb.

One thing that I did find odd was the size of the pool is rather small for a Deluxe resort.

If you get the chance I highly recommend hiring a boat, crusing around the lake is fantastic and CHEAP!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank galaga_girl

Reviewed December 12, 2007

This is our fifth time here in four years and with the exception of a flat screen tv nothing has changed since our first visit. The bathroom ALWAYS smells of sulfer-all 5 times. The facilities cannot handle the number of guests. We won't be going back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank adriNorthport
Reviewed December 12, 2007

We have stayed at many of the Disney Deluxe resorts in the past and I can assure this not a deluxe resort, the hotel itself is very pretty but the rooms were no better than a holiday inn, I have a 20 month baby and I refuse to let him go in the bathroom during our entire stay, the floors were filthy and the shower, well lets just say I gave him a quick bath in the sink every night, try bathing a 25 pound almost 2 year old in a sink!! but trust me that's how bad the shower was.... just spend a few extra bucks and stay at the Animal K lodge or the Grand Floridian.
Disney neeeds to definetely upgrade the housekeeping at this property.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Jackie143
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Over the years, we have stayed at Wilderness Lodge & Boardwalk. Wilderness Lodge was a huge disappointment. While checking in the girl at the front desk acted like she didn't want to be bothered was actually short when I would ask questions. NEVER saw this before & haven't seen it since at Disney. I've read other reviews with the same problem at this resort.There were ducks swimming in the pool & all their poop was in & around the pool. NASTY!!I wouldn't let my daughter go in. Others were having a grand time swimming in poop. whatever!!! When we went to the restaurant
Whispering Canyon Café. You better be ready for this one. When we were there & someone asked for ketchup they brought about 20 bottles sometimes cases to your table. No exaggeration. Then when some poor unsuspecting soul asked for ketchup. You got to get up & give your 20 bottles to that table. Luckily we saw the show in action before & didn't ask for ketchup. Here is an idea I NEVER thought of . The said table with the 20 bottles of ketchup had probably 6 adults & about as many kids. One fine young chap LOVED ketchup was sticking his fries in the ketchup bottle then double dipping. Finally, that wasn't enough so he started licking the ketchup out of the bottle. No one at the table ever told him to stop. Guess what they did with the bottle???Put the cap back on it & sent it on it's round around the restaurant. I have never looked at a ketchup bottle the same since. This hotel is basically out in the middle of nowhere & if this is what you want then this is the resort for you. We like a little life ,we choose Boardwalk. Which we have had a few problems at Boardwalk too over the past 8 years but nothing worth writing a negative review over. Another problem I had which isn't really the fault of the Wilderness Lodge. But the FINE folks that stayed next door to us had this delightful bundle of joy That SCREAMED FOR 1 1/2 HOURS EVERY NIGHT until he finally went to sleep. Only to wake up the next morning SCREAMING. I am often confused by people who think taking a 1 year old to Disney World is a great idea. Little Johnny isn't going to remember the time he SCREAMED bloody murder every night for a week much less his picture with Mickey. Maybe the walls at Wilderness Lodge are paper thin. We have never had this problem at Boardwalk.
Here is a note for people who take small children. We took our daughter for the first time at 5 years. We didn't have the mind set of DO ALL OF DISNEY OR DIE!!!! You would have to live at Disney World for a month to complete that Disney Quest.We would do as much as she could handle & then go back to the room & rest. Some days we spent half the day at the pool, of course not at the Wilderness pool. We see too many parents ticked off at the world because there kids can't keep up.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank dvcmemberarkansas
Reviewed December 3, 2007

My husband and I, along with our 3 children (5, 2 and 8 mos.) stayed at The Wilderness Lodge at Disney World the last week of November 2007. My husband and I were extremely disappointed with the resort in general. After reading tons of reviews online about how wonderful this resort was, we booked it. We were expecting a lot more from a Disney Deluxe Resort. This was our first trip to Disney and we thought we did our homework.

The hotel itself has a nice appeal when you walk in. The staff was very friendly but not overly helpful. The concierge did not even know when the Disney Magic Hours were, she gave us the wrong times, luckily my husband and I checked our own printed information. We also wanted information on some of the water parks and they seemed clueless. They only promoted the other Disney parks. It took 2 and phone calls and 4 hours to get a pack n play crib and a set of bed rails for the bunk bed.

The room was the worst part of our vacation. We were facing a horrible swap/pond and a fence with dumpsters behind it. We asked for a new room but we would have been charged $35.00 more per night. We booked this room for $395 a night already. After being in the room for a half an hour I wanted to cry and couldn't believe we paid for this place. It pretty much ruined the entire trip. We had a double bed and a set of bunk beds for my 2 boys and a pack and play for my infant. My son's own bedroom is larger than this room. It was very small and extremely difficult for all of us to move around. We had to spend 5 nights in this tiny and very ugly room. This room was meant for 2 people not a family. The room was not very clean, the bathroom floor was dirty, the decor was very bland, and the beds were uncomfortable. The bunk beds were merely made of ply wood and the mattresses were like foam. The bottom mattress of the bunk bed did not even fit on the bed it was too small. You could see the ply wood sticking out from the mattress. The sheets and blankets were cheaply made and not up to deluxe standards. This was a very basic and average room. There was nothing fancy or nice about this room. There was a very small table and a flat screen t.v. (nicest thing about the room).

We have stayed at many hotels and have traveled the country with our children. We personally like the Marriott hotels much better. At least the rooms have more appeal and are much cleaner. The staff also caters to you and the food is good. This is a rustic themed resort but we were expecting a much nicer room.

The adult pool was very nice but the pictures on the internet make it seem larger than it actually is. If you have small children I would not recommend the baby pool. The baby pool is 15" deep but it also has a step made of stone and stone all around the pool. My 2 year old kept falling all over the place and I was worried sick that he was going to either break his neck or knock out a tooth. All he wanted to do was go up and down the stone steps. By the time we left he had cuts all over his knees and feet. There were several other mothers at the pool who also thought the pool was dangerous for small children. If this is a baby/toddler pool why all the stone? I have been to many resorts that had pools just like this one with rubber around them. There were also many children who were around 10-12 unsupervised jumping in the baby pool scaring the small children. There were staff members walking around and didn't say anything.

The food at the hotel was average and in order to make a reservation you have to call months in advance. They are also very overpriced for what you get.

They offer a boat ride to the magic kingdom which was convenient but we rented a car so we really didn't need the other transportation sevices that Disney offers.

If we do go back to Disney we will not be staying at a Disney Resort. For the money we spent we will stay at a Marriott or Hilton instead. At least we know the food will be good, the rooms will be nicer, and the staff will appreciate our business.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank juliefetters
Reviewed December 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge November 17 - 24, 2007 for our honeymoon. We would not change a thing! This was our first trip to Disney World as adults and wanted a resort that was going to be relaxing and not too loud. After reading reviews and forum postings, we decided upon the Wilderness Lodge.
Our room was just fine for the two of us. We were on the first floor at the end of the hall and across from the second, smaller pool that is part of the Villas. Each room has a flat-screen TV, mini-fridge, and patio or balcony. We loved having our breakfast out on our patio!
The property and rooms were immaculate. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Roaring Forks, the food court, was just fine for what it was. Make sure to buy the refillable mug for $13 - you can refill it with soda, tea, coffee, and hot chocolate as long as you are staying at the Lodge.
Our king bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The lobby was a great place to sit and relax at the end of the day while gazing at the spectacular Christmas tree.
Overall, we were thrilled with our stay. Definitely a great choice for couples travelling without children.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank wyonative78
Reviewed December 1, 2007

We stayed at the Wilderness lodge and had a very good stay. The rooms were as expected (nothing fancy) and the lodge quite nice. We booked the free shuttle bus from airport so we did not need to rent a car. The one issue and I would strongly recommend that people book dinner reservations prior to arriving or as soon as arriving. It was impossible to get dinner until 10 PM on 2 nights of our stay and then only at the overly priced Crab House in Disney Village (expect to spend $200 for a family of 5). Since we had no car to escape Disney there was not any alternatives.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family